The SPARC will rise again!

After the news about x86 and Arm, what architecture should we move everything to? Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos Home
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/edit#slide=id.p
cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html
cavium.com/product-thunderx2-arm-processors.html
hpcwire.com/2017/09/07/oracle-layoffs-reportedly-hit-sparc-solaris-hard/
access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/speculativeexecution
fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/servers/unix/sparc/technology/performance/software-on-chip.html
fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/servers/unix/sparc/20160623.html
oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/opensparc-overview-1562924.html,
oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-hardware-301321.pdf
blogs.oracle.com/wim/oracle-linux-6-for-sparc,
oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris-guarantee-program-1426902.pdf,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Isn't SPARC basically legacy now? I heard they laid off all their SPARC staff.

lol SPARC is the fastest cpu right now.

SuperH you fucking plebeian.

SPARC64 NEET reporting in.

Specs here on their newest processor. 5.0GHz wew

Also, Fujitsu makes Sparc stuff too (sold as "UNIX Servers")

c o m f y

MIPS

I'd love to see J-core go somewhere

>MIPS
Know any good stuff?

>SH4 patents are expired now

Lemote sells some standard form factor MIPS boards, so you could build a MIPS desktop, they've also got an iMac-like MIPS AIO. Cavium makes some ridiculous MIPS coprocessors with up to 48 cores but those are designed for cellular networking and other niche stuff and cost quite a bit. Imagination's got some MIPS SBCs, neat thing about the Creator Ci40 is that it's got an SoC with SMT.

get some retro SGI workstation, good ol' times. IRIX is a great UNIX OS and SGI engineers are largely responsible for pioneering modern 3D rendering hardware and tech (OpenGL), NUMA links, XFS filesystem, etc.

>Lemote
I saw some of the processors listed on their site, and it looks like 15 years behind.

Yeah, I'm interested in how it's going to be. I'm building a desktop with an 8-core Loongson processor

It’s sad that J-Core won’t go anywhere because of RISC V. #afuckingweeb

shame Solaris is left to rot and die by Oracle

it makes for a nice toy to play with

Well OpenSolaris got forked by the community into Illumos
wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos Home

>Fanboying for fucking oracle

This, SPARC died with being acquired by Oracle. A realistic hope for the future is ARM64 or RISCV.

Some resources on ARM:
Chromebook reflashing (to get rid of depthcharge and botnet os)
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/edit#slide=id.p

Cavium 48-core 2.5GHz ThunderX and ThunderX2:
cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html
cavium.com/product-thunderx2-arm-processors.html

You'd think IBM would take advantage of the situation aand release power9 but nope

bomp

CPU production is planned in advance. There was no time for anyone to react fast enough. We will see during this year how things will develop.

>le housefire cpu

no

hpcwire.com/2017/09/07/oracle-layoffs-reportedly-hit-sparc-solaris-hard/
SPARC is dead. Even ignoring that, Oracle already ran it into the ground. Enjoy your space heaters that are completely unusable without a six-figure support contract. Fujitsu is also moving away from the architecture on their own systems.
Stop treating POWER as a consumer chip, IBM doesn't give a shit about the commodity market.

>Additional exploits for other architectures are also known to exist. These include IBM System Z, POWER8 (Big Endian and Little Endian), and POWER9 (Little Endian).
access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/speculativeexecution

> Fujitsu is also moving away from the architecture on their own systems.
That would be ?

They're playing around with ARM on a new supercomputer, while they haven't formally announced anything, with Oracle shitcanning SPARC altogether it might not last much longer on Fujitsu's end either.

SPARC M8 is years ahead of Xeon and all other CPUs and is the only CPU that has fully secured memory in silicon. Oracle nor Fujitsu have canceled SPARC nor Solaris as it’s a multi- billion business- Oracle just cut back on R&D for next few years as they help customers migrate to cloud which is still on M7 today and will soon be upgraded to M8- at same pricing as Xeon and fully pay as you go!

>what architecture should we move everything to
You should either move away this brianded mentality or move to the "hanging yourself" architecture.

>multi-billion dollar business
Hah, maybe twenty years ago. The platform has been hemorrhaging customers for years with zero growth no matter what bullshit the marketing pamphlet you're regurgitating into this post is telling you.

There’s over 5 billion SPARC cores under Oracle support contracts in production- any person thinking Oracle will walk away from this $Billion/year business is a fool- oracle has invested over $5BN in SPARC and Solaris R&D since the sun acquisition as seen by the release of 5 generations of SPARC. Fujitsu SPARC roadmap goes out 5 years too with another major update expected by 2020- years before Power 10 and before Xeon can catch up!

its hardware design is open source

>There’s over 5 billion SPARC cores under Oracle support contracts in production
So, yeah, like 15-20 legacy shops running a couple racks' worth of post-T1 corespam in the back corner.
>oracle has invested over $5BN in SPARC and Solaris R&D since the sun acquisition as seen by the release of 5 generations of SPARC.
All of which were non-events that couldn't even get the legions of idiots on Sup Forums desperate for the next "x86 killer" to work themselves into a frothy lather over it, let alone people who actually make a difference in the industry. Throwing a bunch of money at a turd doesn't do anything but polish it.
>Fujitsu SPARC roadmap goes out 5 years too with another major update expected by 2020
The roadmap I pulled directly off of their site tells a different story.

>Software on Chip
Intel ME all over again, huh?

MIPS

fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/servers/unix/sparc/technology/performance/software-on-chip.html
Don't be a dumbass.

>Vapor loop cooling
Whut ?

Fujitsu is *NOT* turning away from SPARC. This is yet another fake news.
"Fujitsu is Committed to SPARC64 Development Now and in the Future"
fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/servers/unix/sparc/20160623.html

The beauty of SPARC is that its an IEEE 1754-1994 OPEN standard-its non-proprietary like Xeon, has several open source projects available like here: oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/opensparc-overview-1562924.html, has been around for 30+ years www.SPARC.org and there are significant SPARC designs shipping today not just from Oracle and Fujitsu, but companies like Simply RISC, MCST, FeiTeng, LEON, etc. The LEON ESA & Aeroflex Gaisler are in SPACE today used in many satellites and SPACE exploration vehicles. And with Oracles continued support and development of Solaris, oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-hardware-301321.pdf which shows that there is Solaris 11 Extended Support through November 2034, plus availability of Linux binaries for SPARC blogs.oracle.com/wim/oracle-linux-6-for-sparc, there is little chance of SPARC going away for a very long time. And finally, with Sun, now Oracle's relentless focus on maintaining 100% binary compatibility between generations of SPARC, oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris-guarantee-program-1426902.pdf, theres 10's of thousands of applications that will continue to be supported on SPARC, where clearly Oracle is the #1 ISV. And yes, I am an Oracle employee.

fancy name for a literal refrigerator

I'm rooting for RISCV too.

However Larry Ellison is nothing if not ambitious. He could easily take his IP and existing staff, rehire some CPU engineers, and make a play to outmaneuver Intel by jumping back into the processor business.

>oracle
i don't know why but every time i read this word i feel disgust