/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>*Avoid intel momentarily: theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>*G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / *i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / *Used Xeon / Threadripper / *i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/frkNJV
youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk7CBP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i have a ryzen 3 1200 budget build
should i go for a 4gb 1050ti or 4gb RX 560?

The 1050 ti is better but more expensive, the 560 is weaker but cheaper, decide for yourself what you want.

what's the difference in power are we talking about?
i dont mind setting down some settings if need too.

1050ti will get you 60fps in most games at med to high settings.

the 560 will be less than that....honestly it's kind of a waste of silicon

Can anyone recommend a tool to implement USB 3,0 on windows 7 USB iso?

So are gaming performances cucked on intel too or?

no, now fuck off
t. Ryzenfag

It's only really going to affect servers significantly.

AMD fanboys are excited and meming everyone because CPU wars are their life.

shill

NVME is and so are hard drives and any other I/O, unless you store games in your mind you are fucked

Ignoring the intel design flaw for now, is it really that bad if I got a i7 7700K?
I got it as a gift for Christmas and it's way better than my old processor.

depends on your usecase. if you're not really using it as a server or for VM workloads you're fine

Thanks merchant, what would i do without you?

Yes, because ryzen and new intel cpu's are better

persuade me to buy the rx560

then post some facts to prove that i am.

Okay but is it worth spending a few hundred versus free? I'm not doing anything more intensive than video games and emulating older consoles (I'm idort so I don't use the new ones)

Are amd graphics cards worth considering?

Not at their current prices

thoughts on this build...

Does amd processor + nvidia graphics combo risk something bad?

Should I drop $800 to $1000 in upgrading my current set up or spend it to get a Vive and find an anime wife?

I fell for the 4k meme and it looks the same as 1080p, just now it makes 1080p look worse. What's the best 1080p/1440p monitor I can buy for gaming with like a max of $350 budget? I have a GTX 1070

No.

Btw what the hell is a dual graphics card?

>post build
>it's immediately passed over

Gtx 1060 is the same proce as rx 580. Is there any point in gtx 1060?

What do you do where you need such a powerfull computer?

Opinions? Previously settled on an i5 8600 / RX 570, switched for R5 1400 / 1050 Ti because

>Meltdown
>AMD DX9 issue
>budget

To be used for music production and casual gaming. Total locally: $852

pcpartpicker.com/list/frkNJV

As they're basically margin of error differences between the two on average in AAA titles, get the one which runs cooler and uses less power.
I'd personally opt for the 1060 simply because it has better driver support for popular titles like pubg and also Nvidia highlights support. Also ogl emulation on Nvidia is massively faster than amd.

Can I get a quick rundown on the issues?

>AMD DX9 issue
Jesus christ you mouthbreathing nigger not all dx9 games are incompatible with amd its just EA SAGE engine v2 that has the problem and the only games on that turd engine are non westwood command and conquer games.

spend an extra $30 on a 1600

>Avoid intel momentarily
>momentarily
>the absolute state of intel shills

I updated the OP 2 days ago for the intel bug, i cant remove Intel from the OP because they will freak the fuck out and start threadwars.

just remove "momentarily" and/or replace it with "for two years minimum"
Like nigga how are they going to undo at least a decade of fundamental design flaws?

>I/O
This retard again. NVMe may be bottle neck but your typical ssd wont be.

I literally just bought an 8600k and got it up and running like a week ago.

How fucked am I with all this intel shit going on. Do I have to prepare to return it or something?

No

Fine. I'm still trying to save money anyway.
Checked prices locally, the difference would be $60.

This is probably something that I should only ask in /sqt/, but I'll chance it here regardless: is there really no feasable alternative to Intel and AMD for something like a gayming PC?

I exist through it.

>Hardware Unboxed already posted a video showing very minor differences if any at all
>AMD shills still keep pushing the meme
(lol

>Feasible
There's no alternative full stop.

What about VIA?

How long will the R5 1600 last until it would bottleneck too much at 1080p/60fps?

Literally the DAY BEFORE all this Intel shit came to light, I purchased the stuff for my new build.

>8600k
>1080 ti
>16gb ram
>500GB NVMe
>bunch of other shit that doesn't really matter

The stuff's not here yet and I could probably return it, even though I'm sure Amazon would make me pay return shipping.

Is it worth it to return the CPU and motherboard and wait for Ryzen 2? Or who the fuck cares, because literally the only reason I'm building this computer is for (Windows) gaming?

is a threadripper/r7 | 1080ti setup good for like 200 constant frames at 1080p 144hz-240hz

dont care about 1440p, I just want an answer, I dont consider 100fps enough for mid, high games

I'm in the same boat, I just put my build together so I could return it if I need to. I just don't know if it's worth it.

this literally was me to a tee but I had them all in basket, changed to ryzen. not chancing it

yes and 1440p is better

even with a 1080ti you're not getting 200 fps in anything if you max the settings.

now, if you cut down anti aliasing and other small things, you should be able to get to 150+ with a TR processor but you'll have to cut down a lot because of the weaker cores.

>for my 1080ti benchmarks, this was the one that had the highest FPS

perfect, thank you

thank god i didnt listen to you retards when i was building pc

>AMD
Lmfao

I built my latest rig with i7 6700K back when it was released 2+ years ago. How fucked am I?

Lucky for you, I'd already committed though.

I mostly just want to know if it's worth the hassle of returning everything or if I should just say fuck it and build it anyway, because it seems like for my use case none of this really matters?

who knows what will come out a week from now, get your money and be smart, you can always get the parts again, perhaps even for less

>now, if you cut down anti aliasing and other small things, you should be able to get to 150+ with a TR processor but you'll have to cut down a lot because of the weaker cores.

TR doesnt have weaker cores, it has lower clock speed compared to Intel i5/i7.

And graphics settings rarely affect cpu performance. Stuff like resolution and AA never does, that is purely on the gpu.

FFS no one is fucked EXCEPT you have 20 22 core Xeon processors hooked to a thousand hard drives that are constantly reading and writing information to hard drives all day long, then you'll see a significant hit in performance.

>be smart
>falling for AMD marketers

and when i've returned from amazon you dont pay shipping usually, I use pass my parcel and drop it off for free at participating stores

TR just doesn't have the core strength to handle gamer AI.

>using compromised hardware

Pajeets that program gaymes don't have the mental strength to use more cores

Finally got USB 3,0 drivers to work.on windows 7 install but it tells me I need to install.CD/DVD drives before I can proceed. What is the solution

>the cheapest Threadripper is just a notch above an 8th gen i5 aka a rebranded 7700k with an 8th gen sticker slapped onto it
(lol AMD

No wonder their shills here are so aggressive

mannnnn it's the AI and physics and keeping track of a lot of different dynamic assets that strain the CPU in a game. this is why PUBG is so hard on a weak CPU, because it's trying to keep track of 100 different players doing all sorts of crazy stuff, or GTA V which has a ton of NPC's all over the place (but it can make use of 8 cores because that's what the Xbox One and PS4 use) but TR is a lower clocked processor that is built to rely on its high core/thread count rather than ramp up clock speeds to cater towards programs that are built around a 4c/8t scheme

but whatev

A ps4/xbonex

To the guy that told me to just find undervolting settings for my GPU again, thank you. Shit was way more effective than any cleaning or fucking replacing the TIM and shit's doing fine.

>tfw I just noticed the DPI LEDs in my meme gaming mouse have started to burn out
It's not that big of a deal functionality-wise, but it will bothering me to no end.

So should i order a new amd cpu for my build, or wait to see what the risk level is for the general public is or how hard the patch fucks performance? I have some christmas money so i can suffer the costs without denting my wallet too badly.

both of them use amd moron

do whatever you want. buy amd now, or wait for intel to recover. either way amd is pretty safe while intel has been proven to be best friends with the nsa, so they'll always have security risks

then that guy should stick to qualcomm

Daemon Tools.

PSP is still a thing though

>1600x
>x
>on a fucking B350 board
>2666mhz RAM
if you only listened and bought a 1600 instead, you could have bought better RAM and/or a better board.

youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY

>Post patch performances ACTUALLY SLIGHTLY IMPROVED

AMD PAJEETS LITERALLY BTFO

Is g skill ripjaws good ram?

So I'm planning to update my CPU, Mobo, and RAM from an i7-35xx system to a Ryzen setup, but keeping my GTX-780Ti, SSD & HDDs.
If I let them post & first boot together minus the drives, then introduce the drives on second boot up so Windows can start, will Windows accept the changes without throwing a fit?
Also which Ryzen / MoBo / RAM combo is best? Should I wait for Ryzen+ or longer for 2? My budget is CA$1,999.95

wait for the ryzen refresh

Whiter than you A(h)M(e)D

i knew this was an undercover intel shill thread. sage.

Look them up on userbenchmark for a rough idea

>thinking pre-Meltdown Patch benchmarks matter anymore
Lel

Do I need a sound card?

Okay. How will they be marked, any information on the refresh chips released?
Any idea on my other inquiries? The last two times I've built it was all new parts and software, this will be the first attempt at reusing some hardware and OS.

No. Unless you have a huge sound system, then maybe.

>>x
>>on a b350 board
Lol intelltard.

I just came back from parents house havent used my pc in like 2 weeks
my monitor feels colorless
could it be something wrong with it or is it my eyes since im not used to it everyday?
what do? is there a guide or something for each monitor model for best settings and best image quality?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk7CBP
Anything wrong with this?

What's wrong with 1600x?

Nothing, the 1600 (that comes with a good cooler) is just the better $ / product option.

am I losing performance with an older i5-4460 in games?