This one deserves it own bred

this one deserves it own bred

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_meltdown_spectre_bugs_the_registers_annotations/

tl;dr
thregister tore a new asshole on intel.

Other urls found in this thread:

opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00125641
cyber.wtf/2017/07/28/negative-result-reading-kernel-memory-from-user-mode/
youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7nzts4/linux_accepts_excluding_amd_from_pti_if_amd_is_so/
techpowerup.com/240250/dear-intel-if-a-glaring-exploit-affects-intel-cpus-and-not-amd-its-a-flaw
techpowerup.com/240255/amd-updates-on-amd-processor-security-status
amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
techreport.com/news/33026/researchers-reveal-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-exploits
pcper.com/news/Processors/Meltdown-and-Spectre-Security-Vulnerability-Impacts-Intel-most-AMD-Arm-well
marketwatch.com/story/intel-ceo-sold-millions-in-stock-after-company-was-informed-of-vulnerability-before-disclosure-2018-01-03?link=MW_latest_news
secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFrameset.asp?FilingID=12411053&RcvdDate=12/1/2017&CoName=INTEL CORP&FormType=4&View=orig
infoworld.com/article/2676246/networking/researchers-detail-intel-txt-hacks-at-black-hat.html
computerworld.com/article/2962325/computer-processors/design-flaw-in-intel-chips-opens-door-to-rootkits.html
theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/memory_hole_roots_intel_processors/
blackhat.com/us-16/briefings.html#breaking-kernel-address-space-layout-randomization-kaslr-with-intel-tsx
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution
youtube.com/watch?v=FpZzMNz1BSk&t=1305s
media2.mofo.com/documents/faq10b51.pdf
thenextweb.com/money/2018/01/04/intel-and-equifax-ceos-getting-away-with-dumping-stock-is-bullshit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What pisses me off the most is the fact that they dumped all those shares right around the time they found out about this, which is bullshit. If you or I do it, we go to jail, these guys do it they get a pass, it is hardly brought up, nobody gives a fuck.

>Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a “bug” or a “flaw” and are unique to Intel products are incorrect.

>Translation: Pleeeeeease, pleeeeease do not sue us for shipping faulty products or make us recall millions of chips.

>Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

>Translation: We weren't the only one. And if we're going down, we're taking every last one of you with us.

>Chipzilla doesn't want you to know that every Intel processor since 1995 that implements out-of-order execution is potentially affected by Meltdown – except Itanium, and the Atom before 2013.

>how does political influence work

Can't imagine how they will stay out of jail for such blatant corruption.

opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00125641

>right around the time they found out
It looks like some early information was available back in July

cyber.wtf/2017/07/28/negative-result-reading-kernel-memory-from-user-mode/

Buy AMD stock. Intel crashing means AMD has nowhere to go but up. In fact im willing to bet this new VIA ip getting into the CPU market is doing so because they knew shit was coming and they wanted to be established with at least 1-2 full generations of products in market with their K processors even if they were shit tier and only hit 3 ghs because eventually intel would meltdown and whoever was ready to take their place as AMD's counterpart would be the one receiving investment.

All those shill threads from intel fags saying AMD is finished and now it looks like intel may very well be sued into bankruptcy.

Also the current estimates are a 17% performance loss on your latest intel chip running linux and a potential 30-35% loss on windows.

Meaning your gaming K-series i5-i7 cpu's are gonna be SLOWER than Ryzen chips that dont even go past 4.1 ghz. And this bug is in EVERY single CPU made by intel over the last 10 years. So all of our chips are going to get fucked with the security patch.

If you have a recently purchased Intel CPU return that shit immediately for a refund. For the rest who are on the verge of buying a new CPU wait for the Refreshed Ryzen chips on the new 12nm FF process node. Those chips will be identical to Current ryzen but will likely be able to clock up to 4.4-4.5 ghz or even a little higher placing them very close to kaby/cannon lake performance before this security shit ruined the chips.

Good to know my zenfone 2 is safe :^)

(not picking Intel's or AMD's side)
Don't forget about Spectre, which affects all 3 - Intel, AMD and ARM. And meltdown can be fixed in software, albeit with slowdowns as you mentioned. But it is not yet known for sure if they will be *so* drastic; here is a benchmark on Windows after the update:

youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY

It's funny because apparently he didn't even make the sale, it was all done automatic, and he adopted this method after learning about it.

>the filing also notes that Krzanich adopted the plan just a month before the sales, on Oct. 30, 2017. According to researchers, Intel and other chip makers were informed June 1, 2017

Seems fish af but we all know nothing will happen.

>dat "which affects all 3"
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7nzts4/linux_accepts_excluding_amd_from_pti_if_amd_is_so/

techpowerup.com/240250/dear-intel-if-a-glaring-exploit-affects-intel-cpus-and-not-amd-its-a-flaw

techpowerup.com/240255/amd-updates-on-amd-processor-security-status

amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

techreport.com/news/33026/researchers-reveal-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-exploits

pcper.com/news/Processors/Meltdown-and-Spectre-Security-Vulnerability-Impacts-Intel-most-AMD-Arm-well

yes, there's abolutely nothing to look there.
keep moving, citizen.

>as linus torvalds lets rip on chipzilla

Intel is 100% confirmed impacted by everything and will suffer massive performance hits, especially on data centers.

AMD has a non-zero change of being affected by an industry-wide issue, but to date no concrete vulnerabilities have been found.

AMD claims only one of the two strands of Spectre affects their chips and will be patched in OSs along with the Intel fixes. The other one "might" affect their CPUs but it hasn't been demonstrated yet.

Meltdown, which is the more serious flaw, doesn't affect their CPUs.

I'll only watch the vid if down under steve explicitly said that he had to enable the patch in regedit.

I like him but he's not the brightest.

>What pisses me off the most is the fact that they dumped all those shares right around the time they found out about this
sauce on this?

linus please impregnate my boipucci

marketwatch.com/story/intel-ceo-sold-millions-in-stock-after-company-was-informed-of-vulnerability-before-disclosure-2018-01-03?link=MW_latest_news

Am I the only one who thinks this stems from intel (and tech companies in general really) releasing 7 new cpus last year? Why do companies feel they need to bombard us with mediocre products instead of semi-regularly making good ones? There's obviously going to be oversights with a new release every month

There's this big boogie man
>he has a fetish for intel, and only intel. He enjoys raping intel exclusively, he's a monogamist in that sense. And he's real big and bad.

there's also shadow lurking
>everyone most likely have always known about it, but they never felt the need to adress that because of it's obscurity and peculiarities. Like someone who builds a security system and calls it good enough to catch rats but not cockroaches, in a world where cockroaches are rare and far inbetween. Those insects also need well guarded insider info to navigate the cracks in the wall and attack the pantry, and even when there might a dozen or two of this very special cockroaches, it's safe to simply ignore them, for reasons.

and intel goalshifted the entire discussions towards that shadow.
funny isn't it? especially while the big bad boogie man has a raging boner.

kys redditard

Somebody is going to jail.

This
secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFrameset.asp?FilingID=12411053&RcvdDate=12/1/2017&CoName=INTEL CORP&FormType=4&View=orig

inb4 the jail uses intel and the guy just overrides everything and walks out of the door in the middle of the night

Gotta hand it to intel they are cross compatible with all bugs. Can't beat that kind of reliability.

It almost sounds similar to the equifax trade thingy, what ever happened to that? Probably nothing. Usually stuff like this ends companies, but in the United States it makes you stronger, equifax stocks going back to what they were, nobody has gone to jail.

theyll get a slap on the wrist, probably not even that desu

>Intel is committed to product and customer security and is working closely with many other technology companies, including AMD, ARM Holdings and several operating system vendors, to develop an industry-wide approach to resolve this issue promptly and constructively. Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits. Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time.
>Translation: Just fucking leave us alone.

fuck off you filthy communist

PR_by_misdirection_theday.png

>Somebody is going to jail.
Somebody should, but the thought just raised an Out Of Optimism exception.

The design flaw has been there since 1995, though Intel knew since June and still released flawed chips.

>intel is in a public square giving it real good to user from Sup Forums
>other anons come by and start gawking at them fooling around in public
>intel says: look there's a ghost behind yall
>everybody looks
>intel and user run to an alleyway where he bends over and keep gettin it real rough, but user loves it.
>6 years later everybody is still talking the ghost, with a severe case of blue balls.

What are you even saying retard? The laws against trading with insider information are the epitome of capitalism. This site is 18+ kid.

Yea I’m surprised no one has actually mentioned this. Insider trading is ILLEGAL.

>Intel believes these exploits do not have the potential to corrupt, modify or delete data.

Bitch please its 25 instructions in executable memory to make a computer wipe itself.

I don't believe Intel "Just found out" about this, even if it were months ago, I bet you anything it will be found out later that they were aware of this shit for years, an engineer or someone in the loop had to have known this.shit.

If they knew about for "years" as you say then why didn't they fix it?

inconvenience? they probably shoved it under the carpet? who knows. there are endless reasons as to why they wouldn't have fixed it. yes this is speculation but as past history has shown, time and time again, there have been employees of companies who at the time knew of something critical but nobody else would listen to them or wanted to remedy it. Even the jobs I have worked for management does that a lot of the time, they let shit go through until it bites them.

Because it's a great shortcut for performance, especially in server context?

to fix it properly they would have given performance?
no one knew about it, it was a viable calculated risk while they secured some extra performance.

AHAHHAHA

nah m8
Buy intel while it's in the gutter and watch it climb as cloud providers and enterprise clients scale up to compensate for the performance hit. Intel is way too big to fail. CPU flamers forget this in the throes of their cuckery.

Will I be fucked if my OEM won't release updates for my motherboard? Using server 2016 with VMs.

It's an OS fix.

They knew, something was definitely up.

infoworld.com/article/2676246/networking/researchers-detail-intel-txt-hacks-at-black-hat.html

computerworld.com/article/2962325/computer-processors/design-flaw-in-intel-chips-opens-door-to-rootkits.html

theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/memory_hole_roots_intel_processors/

blackhat.com/us-16/briefings.html#breaking-kernel-address-space-layout-randomization-kaslr-with-intel-tsx

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Greed and negligence user

reuters piece
reads like it came directly from an intel mkting cubicle, especially with look at amd, they're doomed too.
at least they had the nerve to flag it as sponsored.

>support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution
>In addition to installing the January security update, a processor microcode update is required. This should be available through your OEM.
And the validate tool shows all false for me even after the installation and enabling.

Because this was probably the massive NSA backdoor that everyone has been talking about the past several years.

>2018 will be the year of the linux desktop with ARM

WE DID IT, LADS!

So, where is the CIAnigger backdoor?

impying implications!?

Linus is married, with a child, heterosexual, educated and alt-right. He won't fall to degenerate commie shit.

>ARM
I don't think anyone is willing to sacrifice x86 software compatibility. And emulation layers are not near fast enough to actually use for the majority of that software.

>Let's replace this proprietary crap with even more proprietary shit.

We're gonna have full blown RISC-V desktops before ARM.

>alt-right
Lel no, I'm ok that Linus has to be conservative and a little paranoïac for his work,
but certainly not a bigot with a persecution-instinct.

was worth watching.

what is risk management ?

This. Intel figured no one would ever discover the vulnerability. Just like AMD would never produce a competitive arch and continue re-releasing Bulldozer forever.
As you can see, Brian is bad at betting.

this guy is right
same thing happened to equifax
stock plummeted, but it's currently +20% from where it was after the plunge
people don't actually give a shit
BUY MOAR CPUS

based year of the arm linux desktop

competition for Intel and AMD with 3D- layered chips when?

>Oh hey guys, intel here with the a new line of CPU's coming right at ya! Oh, how's the performance? Well, we found this loop hole in the architecture and had to completely write out that thing that makes our CPUs fast, so enjoy a 30% performance hit. Have fun!

Lmao, really?
Greed, it's jewtel we are talking about here.

oops, wrong pic

When you get to [spoiler]Mechonis for the first time and this starts playing during your first battle[/spoiler]
youtube.com/watch?v=FpZzMNz1BSk&t=1305s

Memristors when

>369 calendar
>13.66 days per week

SIMULTANEOUS
4-DAY
TIME CUBE

crossposter leave and stay leave

Same with Equifax.

Are you retarded?

>thregister tore a new asshole on intel.
>implying this is something to be proud and happy
theregister and many other news sites will just rip a new asshole to anyone and put it as a news just to get more clicks. They would've done the same if AMD got on the same problems

I'm not weak enough to give free kisses to those shitty websites just because they said something bad about the company i dislike

Capitalism always worked like this from its conception, get the most money to forge laws, evade them, be exempt from them, shield them against them or simply be powerful enough to break them without consequences

EARTH HAS 4 CORNER

SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY

TIME CUBE

WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION.

4 CORNER DAYS PROVES 1

DAY 1 GOD IS TAUGHT EVIL.

IGNORANCE OF TIMECUBE4

SIMPLE MATH IS RETARDATION

AND EVIL EDUCATION DAMNATION.

CUBELESS AMERICANS DESERVE -

AND SHALL BE EXTERMINATED.

I am a Knower of 4 corner
simultaneous 24 hour Days
that occur within a single
4 corner rotation of Earth.
If you would acknowledge
simple existing math proof
that 4 harmonic corner days
rotate simultaneously around
squared equator and cubed
Earth, proving 4 Days, Not
1Day,1Self,1Earth or 1God
that exists only as anti-side.
This page you see - cannot
exist without its anti-side
existence, as +0- antipodes.
Add +0- as One = nothing.

>If you or I do it, we go to jail
That's not true for fucks sake. Selling or buying stocks with secret knowledge is illegal, but they waited until the issue was public to sell

>A requirement of 10b5-1 plans is that the insider must not be in possession of material non-public information at the time they are entered into. The issue here is that the CEO was, in fact, aware of the defect when he made the plan.

media2.mofo.com/documents/faq10b51.pdf

The CEO is getting his ass reamed on twitter right now. Kind of hard to deny it, I mean, you don't even have to know how these things work and you can see the shenanigans that went on.

I'm sure he is so sad about twitter. And those new and fresh 11 millions are not happy enough for him.

here is the updated version

The fact that he's selling kinda indicates he doesn't expect it to go back up.

thenextweb.com/money/2018/01/04/intel-and-equifax-ceos-getting-away-with-dumping-stock-is-bullshit/

I agree, they should be lined up against a wall instead.

not to mention 250,000 is the bare minimum an employee his level has to have. so he went all out.

>I agree, they should be lined up against a wall instead.

>Lined up because he was trying to make more money.

Do you people just hate rich people because they are rich?

Did you accidentally a cube your routine?

>Intel is way too big to fail

you want that carved on your tombstone?

>Do you people just hate rich people because they are rich?
No, because of the way they get rich. Which is exploiting others.

This is a prime example. CEO was using the cluelessness of investors to rake in maximum profit when he knew the stock would fall. He fucked them all over. Instead of addressing and fixing the security issue in the first place. It was known since middle of last year. Google gave them till 9th January to fix their stuff before they'd release their findings. But instead of doing anything, intel just kept on selling and releasing new hardware with the same issues to make as much cash as possible while this issue is still unknown.

IBM shill

You've got to be dump if you think shareholders will not sue him, he'll be left with -11M$

freescale a shit

Intel has been shit ever since they started forcing ME, basically Core2 was the last Intel that wasnt evil. AMD said years ago they will officially start supporting coreboot on all their processors So, in conclusion, anyone on Sup Forums who bought any Intel CPU newer than Core2 deserves everything bad that happens to them

This. fuck these guys. Enough is enough already, the line has to be drawn at some point. They are just literally proving that without the fear of death that they will continue on their little scheme of fucking people over. Even sometimes the risk of death for your actions are not enough. There should be riots on the streets and everyone is more worried about their cpu's rather than these clowns making a getaway with their loot.

captcha: bank road

>Enough is enough already, the line has to be drawn at some point.
You're a dumbass if you didn't realize this kind of evil has been around for centuries if not millenia. Yet only now are you getting hyped up about rioting.
If you're in the EU you're never going to get that 1 billion euros from Intel's 2009 lawsuit for example. They were found guilty and supposed to pay up but all this time they never have.

>fucking people over
The same people that keep asking for more ?
Where there is demand, there will be supply. And people just can't get enough of getting fucked over.

Brian did nothing wrong.

wait, so he didn't enable it?

>and the Atom before 2013
Hey, I got a few of those
A netbook, a thin client and an ITX mobo
But I'm guessing they'll be slow and horrible to try to use for net browsing and I don't want to give up my cozy macbook

I watched it, but he didn't say specifically that he applied through the registry; but that "applied the patch" fwiw.

Don't know, I kinda think he would've mentioned it, since it's a strange quirk, so I'm tending to think that he didn't.