How does it feel to see disc technology start to die out? Did you ever imagine this would ever happen...

How does it feel to see disc technology start to die out? Did you ever imagine this would ever happen? Do you ever see it coming back in the future? How do you think this will affect modern technologies like CD/DVD/BD players? Will it mean a new proprietary standard or will things all adopt to USB-C?

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/c/ep/vhs-video-tapes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archival_Disc
verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/m-disc/m-disc-bd-r/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Had to happen sooner or later I guess. I still feel the blu-ray m-discs are worth it for backing up important data since even EMP attacks can't hurt it (I think).

i just bought 25 blank dvds from amazon
ask me anything

what do you plan on using them on
I use mine for burning movies for family or burning isos for lincucks distros when i cant find my flash drive

They'll die out for video, with two exceptions. One, JAV, because Japanese fappers seem to really fucking love having a wall of DVD cases. Two, if Burger ISPs data-cap too aggressively trying to stamp out streaming, they'll keep discs alive in some capacity.

As a general data storage medium, they'll no longer be ubiquitous, but they'll live on. They don't store a lot of data by the standards of a backup device, but they have a pretty low cost of entry (unlike tape), and one unique feature: you can make something truly, physically, read-only. The kind of people who consider air-gapping networks will have a use for that.

>How does it feel to see disc technology start to die out?
What do you mean? I've had an opticless home PC for years now. Win10 being a USB just sealed the fate of optical media.

>Do you ever see it coming back in the future?
It'll never go away.Too many movies and I doubt legal laws will ever more completely to sold state for banks/legal/health etc.

>USB-C
Odd standard that will probably never fully replace the USB A plugs.

They will fade out but never die out completely

>Did you ever imagine this would ever happen?
nigga i watched 5.25" floppies, 3.5" floppies, zip drives, laserdiscs, microdrives, MMCs and compactflash die. all media dies, except linear tape for some reason.

not the same user but I use them for very important backups.
Not that they're more reliable, but the permanent nature of dvd-r's makes it difficult to accidentally delete files

Half the shit you listed was dead on arrival, kiddo.

To my surprise movie DVDs are still alive and well, every single movie that comes out also has a DVD version.
And people still buy them too [spoiler]like my retarded sister who buys DVDs instead of BluRays just because they're cheaper despite having multiple BluRay Players[/spoiler]

>nigga
I have a feeling you haven't actually lived long enough to see any of those in their prime.

nah and i never particularly liked them, big, fragile and prone to data rot, as for physical media in general, well if it'll survive at all isee it going 100% flash
usb would be prefered but it'll probably some sort of new card standard for movies at least, ir'll be a good day when we go to a gamestop and buy a game that's neither on a disc nor just a plastic card with a game key on it but a physical copy of the game on an usb c stick with a space for saves that can be just pluged in to whatever pc and play the game without instalation

Who needs to pirate now that Amazon is tossing Blu-ray movies away at $5 to $10?

Some people don't care about shit being super high definition and even if they did they wouldn't have the money for it.

my first computer was a brand new 386 PC clone, eat shit

I don't see them making any sort of comeback now that we can just stream or download everything because our internet connections are better than ever, even here in burgerland. Even with game consoles I don't see discs coming back. You can get 1TB hard disk for like $50 on Amazon now. Imagine how cheap they are when Sony or Microsoft buy them in bulk. They're probably like $10 a piece. They could easily make 4-5TB consoles at reasonable prices and just let people download their games and store them locally as compressed files that could be mounted then played, and you could store dozens of games like that. Same thing with other media players. Include a CD/DVD drive for legacy media and just toss in some big hard disks to let people keep their library of movies and shows on that, or just stream it all like people do now.

I use CDs and DVDs for two things in the current year. The main use is to play music in my car, and the second is to install software on really old retro PCs that either can't boot from USB or don't even have USB 2.0. That's it. I use USB type A and C 3.0 flash drives for everything else, since I can write them hundreds of times and they're dirt cheap. I can get 32GB USB 3.0 type A flash drives for like $12 now.

Discs were outmoded pretty quickly. I wasn't surprised.

Pretty much my entire life I saw storage standards die almost yearly, or storage needs increase exponentially. Im surprised they've last this long

Holy shit thanks for the impeccable wisdom user. Look here guise, user says that non all discs will disapear from the planet. Fuck me that's unbelievable news.

People who don't want to spend $10 a movie?

I'm glad that I have enlightened you, fellow user

He could be right, you can still buy brand new blank vhs tapes

walmart.com/c/ep/vhs-video-tapes

It can't die because it's optical

everything else is magnetic and therefore basically the same: gone when you swipe it with a magnet

>burning movies for family

What do you use to convert?.I use vsoconvertxtodvd. You should try it.

>CDs will be the new floppy discs

I don't want to feel this old

>grandpa, I found these in a drawer with a bunch of old stuff, what are these even used for?

>implying this isn't already happening

>already had to explain what VHS was to my niece

Who misses skipping CD's?

…..

crickets chirping....

tumbleweed rolls by....

your grandpa kicks the bucket...

a whoaman is elected president...

skip...skip....skip

Feels bad. I love discs.

I have a dvd drive in my pc. Every pc I build for someone I put a drive in.

I just bought a 4k bluray player and am beginning to build my regular bluray collection since the prices are reasonable now. Between me and my wife we have like 8 books of dvd disc movies collected. That's enough for us to keep around for nostalgic reasons but we would never touch them since my hard drives contain pretty much every single movie we would want to see in good quality hd. I'm ready to stop buying dvd movies. same for audio cd's. My phone has my entire music collection. I don't miss the days of having to switch out discs to play music for a single good song, or skip past previews on dvd's. I do however like to know they're accessible in case I ever want to mess with that shit for old time sake.

Discs are probably the most brilliant form of storing information.

Then why have the HD TVs and bluray players if you're not going to leverage their capabilities?

That’s because Linear tape goes up on capacity by 50% every few years, massive tape libraries are still marketable, and it fits nicely on the archival end of an automated storage stack.

In the case of people he's talking about (I guess people that are so irresponsible they can't save up $70 for a bluray player and $8 a movie) I doubt they'd be able to save up for a $400 55" tv.

Just like xvid encodes are still huge for movie releases.

I was talking about people like the sister in I've known so many people that think just getting a higher resolution screen will somehow make all of their content higher resolution some how. They'll buy a new TV and then go on about how good it looks, but they're watching a standard definition channel.

archivist here
tape will outlive us all. your floppies and cds on the other had die a little each day.

Well, in the case of a person like that you asked "why would they have hd tv if they're not going to leverage their capabilities?". The answer is because they ignorantly thought a single hdtv purchase was going to be all it takes for total hd viewing experience.

I guess short answer is ignorance. They get the tv just, reality proves they're not desperate enough for HD content to seek out the actual hd shit to play, for whatever reason (i.e. cost).

>I guess short answer is ignorance.
You're probably right. I just can't fathom being that much of a brainlet.

Most people don't give a shit. Many still don't know what aspect ratio is and will happily watch stretched out content on their big screens. They just want the satisfaction of having the best and newest appliances they can afford.

Let me tell you a funny story. You remember those BIG THICK GIGANTIC UGLY tv's from the 90's like (pic related).

Back in like 2006 when hd stuff was starting to come out I used to work in Goodwill and I myself had a flatscreen 720p tv. Someone donated one of those big things. We put it up front and some lady (idiot in my opinion) paid like I think $200 for this big thing bragging about how she just bought a fifty something inch. I was like wow, she's dumb. I'm sure you know what I knew and that this ugly thing was probably going to burn out any day now and at best play ugly vhs quality garbage.

>for a given encoding speed, x264 will produce a much better output than xvid
>x264 hasn't been noticeably slower than xvid since 2012/13 to begin with
Why are topsite groups such brainlets? There's no reason to use ASP in the current year.
I fucking hate the scene so goddamn much

>There's no reason to use ASP

Gotta disagree. If you said there's little reason I'd agree.

When there's this big a planet with this much of a variety of people looking for different things with different hardware there is a VERY likely chance someone out there wants an xvid encoding.

With bandwidth being so cheap for so many and cloud storage being so easily available if you're going to release a h265 version, an x264 version and a remux you might as well just take a little bit of extra time to upload an xvid version.

>Many still don't know what aspect ratio is and will happily watch stretched out content on their big screens.
Oh god, that shit triggers me worse than almost anything since it's immediately obvious at a glance.
>They just want the satisfaction of having the best and newest appliances they can afford.
I don't think I'll ever understand that way of thinking.

>It can't die because it's optical
Kek. If you have CDs from the 90s, go through them and see how many are readable.

I never understood this meme. I have burnt dvd's from ten years ago and they read just fine. I'd be worth it for this mythical "disc rot" to fuck up one of my discs just to see it for myself.

I'm starting to think that assholes like you somehow pulled your shit out of a housefire and just decided to blame disc rot.

Those things last.

deader than a doornail. new pcs dont come with them, neither do new cars. their only use is in gaming consoles and they're already dying out there.

If anime connoisseurs managed to make the jump a decade ago, everyone should be able to. If they are too dumb for that they can always just acquire the DVDs legally.

Last time I tried that some 4 or 5 years ago everything seemed to be working still, from the music cds to the unbranded CD-Rs with random shit in them from my high school days. I've been reading about the death of discs for almost two decades at this point. I know it's a matter of time, but I have yet to see it happen.

I can't allow anime watchers to represent most people. I'm not even sure they're normal. If it was up to them we would be using .ogg. Literally .ogg was for tentacle hentai.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archival_Disc

This is more for enterprise users but if would be cool if it was more affordable.

>tfw no 1TB Archival Disc

I've seen plenty of disc drives fail. Never have I seen a CD fail to read unless it was full of scratches or clearly warped. Don't leave the disc in your drive when you're not using it or the ambient temp of your PC might degrade it faster.

Admittedly one needs a very high IQ to appreciate tentacle hentai.

I'd buy that if I had the space for it.

Can I get a source on .ogg being made for Chinese sex cartoons? That sounds like a fun read.

as soon as cloud backups can prove that they can backup data for more than 25 something years like discs, they'll still have a purpose

For everything other than backups, they'll die out within the next 5 years

I loved the tentacle hentai. Just not sure why the hell it was so special they needed to deviate from other containers. I guess this was before .mkv won the container war.

>Released Planned for Q2 2015

well, I did mistakenly put .ogg when I meant .ogm. But it is real. That is what happened.

I literally just ordered a new dvd burner to replace my dead drive
It's never dying for me

Damn. I don't remember seeing a dvd drive go bad. Then again I always use the eject button (even for making it go in the tower).

there will always be people somewhere that want to use physical media.

Even back in the day you'd figure they die out once HDDs became cheap enough, and bandwidth was plentiful. Which, happened around about 10 years ago.

Only reason I've kept my disk spindles around are for my car's stereo, but even that accepts USB drives now, so practically only old archival stuff on my DVD/CDs now.

Not him but believe it or not there are some older denizens of Sup Forums niqqa

people who care about quality will be buying discs. streaming services use low bitrates and lossy formats.

This is true. I watch bluray shit now (even downloads). If I that weren't available I would rather pay to either buy or rent and burn a real dvd mpeg2 encoding. Fuck low bitrate shit. Even 1080p Youtube music videos look horrendous if you look closely.

Unfortunately I guess I'm a pixel peeper.

i have seen one of these once in a thrift store but i did never really understand what it is. it didnt look like a normal crt tv but it looked like some kind of screen.

Games are already mostly digital. It is more convenient, than going to some store.

Rear projection television.

scenecucks are still also releasing low quality vbr joint stereo mp3s that sound much worse than a properly encoded mp3.

In the future, kids will think technology is just magic from "the cloud."

Amazon, Google, etc. will be the new Gods kids look up and pray to.

Most of those tvs I've seen had a screen over the front. Not sure why even. Really sucked mane. You could barely see it unless you were standing straight in front of it.

Emp doesn't effect any optical storage.

I live in a very humid area so electronics generally shit themselves faster than what an average person might expect
In the case of dvd's and cd especially, it baffles me that there are some people who haven't seen disc rot in real life
Shitty no name cd-r discs would be lucky if they get 3 years worth of shelf life.
And yes, I do take care of my shit and I never push the drive ro close it either

They gonna be like in Back To The Future where the kid says "You mean you gotta use your hands".

>I can get 32GB USB 3.0 type A flash drives for like $12
The price of 2x25GB BD-RE is 10 bucks.

One reason I prefer optical media over usb/hdd is that once that bitch is burnt, it's staying burnt. You can't accidentally overwrite something or delete it.

Dual Layer DVD burners/ discs weren't even that popular.

I think I've burned 1 or 2 dual layer DVDs in my entire life.

BD-RE is a lost cause.

those $2 are worth it tho. i can store many of them in the space that one of those discs takes even without the protecting covers.

to add

I still make single layer DVD backups all the time.

verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/m-disc/m-disc-bd-r/

I burnt like ten or twenty dual layer dvd's in my life. I can't stand those because seems like they take ages longer to prepare for display when I pop them in my drive. I think start to the dvd is fucked but then it does pop up, just takes a shit load of time.

I still play Red Alert 2 from 2001. Idk if I have any older game, maybe Mortal Kombat 4

I've never encountered a CD or DVD that went bad.

Just pulled this out of one of my dvd books. It has a sticker cover I printed and put on there myself. From 2005 or 2006. Reads perfectly fine.

dvd-rs are still the best way of backing up files for most people, imo

cheap, can only be written once, easy to stash away somewhere

man, those covers on cds looked magical when I was kid. I remember my excitement when I went with mom to buy fifa 2002 and it had Paul Scholes on the cover. Kinda sad my kids won't ever know that feel

I come back to reconsider disc storage every few years. Putting all my eggs in one basket/HDD is scary, and having to duplicate or triplicate everything because it may fail at any time pisses me off. I have nothing but good experiences with DVDs, but never had a BR burner. How good are they? DVDs are simply to small at this point, but I always read about consumer grade BR discs being unreliable and not really worth it.

Not sure if anyone here remembers the dual disc? Those were pretty cool. If I remember correctly those give me some headaches. I think they played fine in my dvd drive but the cd didn't play right in my car cd player.

I would consider them. NO MATTER WHAT for big files like iso's or bluray rips I make hash files for each one so that no matter where or when I can check the integrity. I learned my lesson and it wasn't even from any storage issue. I went a couple months with a bad stick of ram and was copying over downloaded movies from one drive to another but the files were getting corrupt due to this bad ram and I had no idea. Over time I started to realize as I went back to play these movies they would get cut off, restart just have errors. I realized they were getting fucked up somehow. Long story short it was a stick of ram fucking it up during the copy and I decided to stick a md5 file along with each fucking file I invested in downloading.

Along this line, is there a really good external BR burner? I was looking at external drives but it seemed like all of them had mixed reviews.

Saw this coming after Steam began, well, picking up steam.
I could care less as long as Verbatim keeps making AZO CD-Rs for my retro consoles. But I know they won't so I've been hoarding them.

>How does it feel to see disc technology start to die out?
About time, although I haven't touched one in five years.
>Did you ever imagine this would ever happen?
Yeah.
The same way other formats are around for one reason or another, sure. It won't be popular though. Probably a mixture of legacy stuff and hipster shit.
> How do you think this will affect modern technologies like CD/DVD/BD players?
They'll die slowly.
>Will it mean a new proprietary standard or will things all adopt to USB-C?
I think people will just stream and download stuff, they pretty much already are.

You are dying out shill.

Music CDs will never die out completely. Sure, most people switched to MP3/AAC/Whatever for the daily needs, but if you want to preserve a collection, CDs are the only way. And, unlike DVDs, there’s no need to newer formats as it has been proved that higher bitrates are totally pointless.

Oh and for those that say that optical media wears out. No, they don’t. CD-R might suffer of degradation over time and I’ve seen 15 years old CD-Rs full of holes, but it’s not the same for press CDs: for these to degrade it needs the protective layer over the aluminum to wear out and I yet have to see one where this occurs naturally.

You know what scares me though? Post-ROM game cartridges, the ones based on Flash (Nintendo DS/PSVITA/Switch...). Those cartridges have a very tiny current leakage that slowly deplete the transistors holding their charge and thus their info. If not used, they can be erased in a random timespan from 5 to 10 years, depending on temperature and humidity. If you have a game collection that you appreciate, this thought will make you sweat at night.

Those consoles will stop working at some point while the games are dumped and preserved forever. DS cartridges are particularly inconvenient to use when you can simply store all those games in an SD card and leave the originals as decoration.

Use ZFS or BTRFS pn linux.

It does all of this completely automatically.
You don't even have to think about it.

And when something does bork, and you have redundancy, it heals without any user intervention.

anti-glare

Glare was a huge problem for Rear Projection. We had one of the newer LCD ones by Sony, it lasted a while, until we put it in one of our restaraunts and the sunsets got to it.