Windows guidance to protect against the speculative execution

So this update is meant to fix the recently discovered flaw in x86 CPUs for Win7:
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897

Now, if you see any performance loss, Microsoft seems to give the users the choice to disable this mitigation:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution

>To enable the mitigations:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

>To disable the mitigations:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

I for one will probably disable it (: I'm not a brainlet, I use comon sense and value my PC's performance. What about you?

ty for reading my blog xoxo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SqbNWCehbmU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

T-thanks

one of the bugs requires a bios/microcode update.
1. why the update should be made by the hw maker and it isn't made my microsoft?
2. if the microcode update isn't available, how was Apple able to fix this vulnerability?

You're welcome.

1. proprietary technology
2. software workarounds..? just a guess.

How do I check to see if it's enabled?

this is for windows server only, it's enabled for consumer windows

>1. proprietary technology
a microcode update is a binary file provided by intel (amd?) which can be updated both by bios when the system starts or by OS anytime.
the problem is that only a limited part of the hardware will receive a bios update: the systems newer than a year or corporate (thinkpad/elitebook/latitude) .
if the update is made my microsoft, every system would receive the update.

Read the article. There's a PS command. Although I guess it requires you to have installed some PS script first..? Idk how PS works, never been interested into it.

>server only
Is it?

did you even read the article you linked?

>Is it?
>Use these registry keys to enable the mitigations on server:
>on server:
>Enabling protections on server

That particular article is about WinServer. That does not mean it won't work on client.

I can confirm it does nothing extra on Win8.1.
I ran get-spec with and without the reg keys. Same result.

Sucks then :( I was getting excited that I might be able to disable it. I guess I'll probably just block that particular update then.

you need "Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation" aka a bios update aka a microcode update to fix the vulnerability. When/IF this hw support will be available, you maybe will be able to disable it by registry...

it doesn't do anything because it's already enabled in consumer, only server has the option with the registry codes.

you're vulnerable
you cant disable what you don't have

Everyone's vulnerable to atleast 1 variant until a hardware patch is released.

>until a hardware patch is released
good luck receiving a patch for 5yo laptops

It's not that big a deal. Meltdown can be patched with software. The more dangerous Spectre is the one that requires the hardware shit. Even then, it's just a temp fix.

It doesn't matter though because it's difficult to pull off that exploit anyway.

>common sense
>leaving your computer vulnerable to an attack where javascript in your browser can read keystrokes and passwords from any other process

when will femanons nudes be released already

Apple is the hardware manufacturer.

>updates security
>disables the mitigiation
I'm no brainlet but this seems broken

The Bogs gave mention the propper work Round here . Jim is an extensive analyst and dataminer who was at bogmoses when Shadowbog occurred

Jim Jarmusch, real name Jean Jemois Bogdanoff, or simply Jim, was the leader of BOGHOUND during the Shadow Bog Incident. He was cloned from a hybrid of Igor and Grichka's DNA when the original twins were 4 years old (in this timeline, of which there are many, keep in mind the original twins actually transcend the time-space continuum and are therefore ageless) as part of the Les Bogfant Terribles project. Jim was led to believe that he had been created in order to express Igor and Grichkas recessive genetic traits, and as such, was "inferior" to the other two who have received dominant genes from a common ancestor. Jim therefore held a strong resentment towards Igor and Grichka but proved nonetheless useful in many black op side projects and has since been unwittingly manipulated by the original twins into doing their bidding.

Possessing an IQ of 180, Jim spoke seven languages fluently, including English, Spanish, French, Malay, Arabic, and Kikongo.

youtu.be/SqbNWCehbmU