Why does nobody ever seem to use .djvu files when they are smaller and (as far as I know) have no downsides?

Why does nobody ever seem to use .djvu files when they are smaller and (as far as I know) have no downsides?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sgBqlzHg2uk
djvu.sourceforge.net/djview4.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

PDF is well known for being optimal substrate for eploiting. Keep it that way!

djvu arent just like a ton of jpg images ties together?

Plaintext is smallest.

because ryoku works for ((adobe)) and they need you to download (((acrobat)))

Are they?

Actually it doesn't look like they are

>djvu arent just like a ton of jpg images ties together?

That's more or less correct. Though, djvu can also contain extra stuff like an invisible layer of text (typically generated by OCR) that allows you to search and highlight lines of text and bookmarks among other metadata. The images are raster so you do not have infinite zoom, but the compression algorithm is better than storing images in pdfs.

pdf on the other hand are primarily text with a bunch of typesetting data detailing how it should look (fonts, sizes, orientations, margins, etc...) as well as bookmarks and other metadata. pdf text is typically stored as vectors (so you can zoom in as much as you want). It also has some advanced features (not supported by all viewers) like multiple layers.

Which one you should use depends on how the document was created.
>If the document was generated by scanning or taking pictures of a book then you should use djvu (there's easy to use software out there that will take a folder full of images, run it through ocr, and turn it into a djvu file with a text layer). If you were to use pdf then you would end up with a fucking gigantic pdf file that would be slower to browse.

>On the other hand if the document was generated locally from source (eg. LaTeX source) or some other typesetting software then you should use pdf. If you were to use a djvu then you would have to first render each page as an image and you would lose functionality including the ability to zoom infinitely.

Use cbr if you only care about the images and don't need djvu's other text based features. Use slide decks for presentations (duh).

Note: Image heavy books with little text may benefit (in filesize) from being stored as djvu instead of pdf (eg. artist galleries).

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!

IIRC the encoder was *ABSOLUTELY PROPRIETARY*

Because it makes me feel like I've been in this place before.

Test

Can you do on the fly certified signatures? What about check boxes, and text boxes?

HEEEEEEEYYYYY EYEY
NOW WE WON'T BE RAPED

djvu is a raster format. use it for scans of dead tree books. compared to pdf, it's apples and oranges.

>marching band
>smug
>anime-level skirt
would brutalize butthole

And you haven't even heard her perfect bitchy voice

youtu.be/sgBqlzHg2uk

Because I don't scan documents and when I do my shit tier scan software doesn't support it and basically good look finding a viewer.

>bitmap
Into the trash it goes.

epubs are even smaller

djvu.sourceforge.net/djview4.html

No, why would you? They're pictures.