Any employers of CS/BS in SE here?

Any employers of CS/BS in SE here?

>I went to school in one of the highest rated schools in my state its top 50 nationwide not gonna bother listing it as its irrelevant. Dropped out due to depression from a friend killing himself and partying too much as a result. ~2.6GPA at the time of dropping, roughly 3.5 GPA in CS courses.
>Recently went to community college to finish AA (3.9 semester GPA, somehow this put me on presidents list for my AA), transferring to WGU to finish "bs in software engineering" degree. If you know anything about WGU there is no GPA its branded as the school that reinforces learning by pass/fail and if you don't know the material you can't finish.
>My question is will I be able to get a good job out of college if I can show that I actually know what I'm doing? If I had the spare money I'm certain I could max out all C/C++/C# certifications from Microsoft (currently working through state libraries to do so for free). I figure I can finish all of the degree in a 5-6 month time frame, as I'm not working living at parents house.
All I want is a comfy job out of college. Will it lead me to a good job/career? I want to be making roughly 100k/year within ~4 years, what can I do now to ensure this is the case?

A little extra info.
>No github or real projects to show employers, I am working on that right now
>No internships, probably wont have time to do this before I get out with my degree
>I was a TA for a professor at the college I attended, the benefit to this was that he stated at the time that he could write me a letter of recommendation for anything I want one time, I have yet to call this favor in
>I'm probably one of the least autistic/numale people you will ever meet even though I visit this Nicaraguan throat singing forum

tldr I need to know how I can market myself as a 'high-tier' programmer out of college with a BS in SE from WGU to get a nice job with decent benefits and no pajeets around.

>I want to be making roughly 100k/year within ~4 years
Lower your expectations, jesus christ. Where are people getting this idea that dev work automagically grants you six figures?

I'm trying not to sound narcissistic but I hardly see how that's a high expectation. I'm quite certain that my work output is roughly 1.5-2x as much as the people that are entry level. When I said I was less autistic I meant in the social sense.

>Dropped out due to depression
>My question is will I be able to get a good job out of college
that's a MASSIVE red flag. you'll be lucky to get any job at all

I've worked through it and am back to my old self since then. I obviously wouldn't be stating this within a job setting literally any other excuse will be used.
I'm really looking for information about the current state of the industry and how I can get a leg up, you all act like I will be coming into my first interview talking about how I require a 300k year starting and stock options while crying in the corner.

internships matter more than anything else. you should be going to career fairs on your campus and networking.

>I hardly see how that's a high expectation
Jesus fucking christ.

continuing my post about 100k+ salary
listen kid, you don't understand the world yet. $100k/year in silicone valley or downtown seattle is totally different than $70k/year in bumsfuck florida.

living expenses and taxes are things

The only places that pay that much are ungodly expensive to live so you'd have next to no income after rent, or given to employees with over ten years experience and senior titles. It is a crazy expectation unless you have a hobbyist project you started outside of work that most people have heard of and use daily.

Still OP here, has capitalism changed since I have been born in the last couple decades? Last I checked the value of a worker is in their output and I never said 100k starting, I said after 3-4 years which I'm lost as to why thats unreasonable? I live within commuting distance of microsoft and they start hiring at around 90k I've been told for recent graduates. I understand that landing those types of jobs is quite hard which is why I've allotted several years to prove that I am worth what I want.

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT

holy shit dude you should be sending out applications to internship positions not daydreaming about what salary you'll have 5 years on the job. like holy fuck dude, you have to get hired first and you havent even done an internship.

100k is getting paid in peanuts if you're in the middle of downtown liberal coastal population center. 70k in a state with no state income tax and low cost of living is way better.

just focus on getting an internship and maybe actually research how the world works in your free time

>Last I checked the value of a worker is in their output
This hasn't been the case since the 1970's. The new norm is pay as low as possible for the rarest of skillsets. People who make the most can but don't necessarily work hard, they have a rare skillset.

No need to belittle me, I'm just trying to learn what I need to do and I do appreciate the information. In the OP i was mainly just trying to point towards the idea that I want to get a leg up on other candidates for positions so that I can remain competitive and get paid a competitive salary. It seems like the most pertinent thing is to get an internship and I'd like to ask what the best way to find said internships would be.

I get the whole rural to urban inflation thing and have experienced it I am not above commuting a ways to get what I want out of life, obviously within reason.
I'm currently working on software that I plan to sell, although I am still learning how to market (part of the idea behind my OP). Does having side projects that are profitable, although lesser known, help more than doing something open source, or contributing to open source software?

If you have a private project keep it to yourself, you will get scammed if they like it and you bring it up.

What I meant is you'd make a shit ton of money if you had no job history but created and were the prime contributor to a major open source project virtually everyone, or a signifigant amount of people use. That is because you'd have show your aptitude. But again, that was hyperbolic as next to no one fresh out of university has done that unless they had decades of experience beforehand or were a freak accident.

kind of just seems like you want the title and prestige of being a "high tier programmer" without actually caring about learning or getting better at programming

you'll get a 100k job in 3-4 years if you earn it, you wont ever keep it if you "market yourself" for it

if you **only** "market yourself" for it

>People in this thread flaming a guy who is clearly asking legitimate questions and wants to further his life.

All of you should kys

I work at a big tech software company. 100k is entry level income.
Of course the hard part is getting in in the first place.

because he sounds like a cockroach indian constantly overstating how "hard of a worker" he is and that he could easily output his peers despite failing out of college for "depression" and partying while having no project experience or anything to show that he actually can program

it sounds and looks pathetic

>Doesn't realize anyone in the real world who knows anything about finding jobs lies heavily on resume
No wonder you are so mad about his 100k starting, must be hard to live off of McDonalds salary.

What does the hiring manager look for?

From my experience, you end up with much more leftover money with 100k in expensive cost of living cities than with 70k in bumfuck, Nowhere. Your rent or mortgage might be higher but you save more money on a lot of things, particularly transportation. I live in Seattle though and Washington state has no income tax. I suppose it's different in SF.

your resume matters for getting you to the interview, you have to actually prove your competent during the interview and that you have the skills theyre looking for

you have the indian mindset that once you scam through the interview with a good resume you're set and have no more problems, i'd be surprised if dipshits like you have even had a job before

The main issue people ITT have was OP having high expectations before he even got his foot in the door. Only a touchy person would see it as flaming.

That depends on the region, the places that will pay that starting have ridiculous costs making that 100k not go as far.

Large software companies pretty much all have the same hiring process (Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft...). You will go through a bunch of technical interviews. If you ace them, you'll be put in contact with a prospective manager and you will have to manage your best not to drop your spaghetti. Then they'll extend you an offer.
The really had part is getting a recruiter to contact you. After that, they'll put you through the process but there is not much more that they can do. Your recruiter is your best friend through the whole process as they get a bonus if you get hired.
Anyway, your best bet is to show open source projects contributions, have some stuff on GitHub, etc. Keep in mind they get thousands of resumes a day and extend an offer to less than 1% of applicants.

>You have to prove competence
Yes, but if I can do that and another guy comes around who can also do this but chose to lie about his previous accomplishments in a way that is irrefutable 9/10 times he will get the job.

You constantly point to 'indian mindset' so I don't doubt you are an aspy and can't find any real place in society unless you are heavily medicated so your opinion is that of a toddler, like I said though I guess that's why some people have careers at minimum wage jobs.

Thanks for the information, I'll look into some open source projects that I can contribute to in the meantime.

As for everyone else sorry that I have actual aspirations in life, but regardless thanks for bumping my thread.

You think interviewers don't know most resumes aren't exaggerated? Go look at the resumes posted on Indeed. Even if you somehow make it through the technical interview, you won't be able last on the job. Don't expect your coworkers to help you because most of the time they won't. If you don't deliver results, you'll get fired.

i think the hiring process these days will enough to filter out jobbers like OP anyway, you just have this 10 year old mindset that once you pass the interview or get noticed with your resume your worries are over instead of having to the job you're insanely overqualified for and falling out

im sure op would get "depression" if he worked any real job just because thats the type of person he is

are*

Read Sounds like OP is confident in his abilities, who are you to question him? If that's the case then lying on a resume is something that will give him the leg up he wants.
The fact of the matter is that CS/SE is the most heavily cheated in field out of all college degrees you can choose from. Almost every assignment has some form of code online and regardless of what the university tells you it is piss easy to restructure code and fool the fingerprinting algorithms they have.
What this leads to is an abundance of incompetent individuals in the field and by extension hiring managers that do not want to sift through 200 applications and interview 20 people who might be just as clueless as any average joe. The second they see you have any real applicable knowledge you are heavily considered for the position.

>im sure op would get "depression" if he worked any real job just because thats the type of person he is

He'll probably cry when his code gets critiqued by his coworkers.

Everyone is depressed at work, no job is fun, anyone who tells themselves otherwise is lying to themselves.

No job is fun, but that doesn't mean all jobs make you equally depressed. Some jobs are worst than others. The less you're paid, the worst you'll get treated.

I've never met a CEO who didn't love their job.

Some jobs are fun.

>>No internships, probably wont have time to do this before I get out with my degree

Get an internship.