/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 30% Off Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>Avoid Intel until security and performance issues are fixed: theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous bread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B015WCV70W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
amazon.com/gp/product/B01AIZXZHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
youtu.be/SqbNWCehbmU
pcpartpicker.com/list/tYz2qk
pcpartpicker.com/list/8Xz2qk
pcpartpicker.com/list/YjZVtJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Still new to building.
I need some recommendations.

Should I buy this monitor? Is it worth?
amazon.com/gp/product/B015WCV70W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Also what would be a good case for this motherboard
amazon.com/gp/product/B01AIZXZHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its a poorfag monitor and get rid of that bulldozer shit

No shit, but I'm asking for help here.

youtu.be/SqbNWCehbmU

>avoid Intel
>avoid nvidia
>only buy AidsMD
Kinda funny whoever believes this shit is a fucking retard

Why avoid nvidia? I like having faster load times for path-tracing, encoding, ect, even if it is at a higher price point. nvidia+amd is a fine combo.

I just got a computer case with better airflow, but worse sound dampening and discovered my PSU to have coil whine under GPU load. Is anything in the $100-$130 worth replacing my Corsair RM 650 with or should I just hang onto it for now?

I'm seeing EVGA and SeaSonic on Logical Increments for PSUs in that price point.

>avoid nvidia

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

what dimension do you even live in you autistic cuck?

I am looking for radeon graphics, not even checking nvidia prices. But with current prices I don't see a problem with the recommendations, since mosts anons wouldn't be as patient as I am. And they're really not worth it as they are right now.

>$1000-ish, dream build

Don't let your dreams be memes, do it

When does Ryzen's new generation come out? Need specific date!

A month or so

end of March probably, may be later. AMD hasn't said anything and probably won't say anything for a while.

I'm poor
Anyways, hoping to build a pc sometime between 2019 and 2020

Amd shill thread dont reply

So my friend recently upgraded his PC and gave me his old GPU; and next week I'm getting a decent bonus on my next paycheck. So I decided to finally upgrade from my relic of a prebuilt.

How does the new one look?

pcpartpicker.com/list/8Xz2qk

do you really need a 1tb hard drive? Buy at least a 2TB one if you are going to buy one at all since you already have a 500GB SSD.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/8Xz2qk
its good

Anyone know the cheapest way to build a PC in NZ? Can I import these super cheap parts and build here? Or do I need to pay tax.

If I were to build an up to date rig to last 3-4 years, would probably cost me 2-3k here.

I see the amd freeshills are still posting the OP

Dont bump the shill thread

I wanted a little extra storage space until SSDs get cheaper/I can afford more and was retarded and didn't realized that 2TB was only like $10 more.

Cool beans, thanks!

Cry faggot

Motherboard crapped out in sept, finally have enough to replace mobo/cpu. Question is should I wait for new gen ryzen or just order now? Mostly going to use for gayming.

what motherboard

Kiwi here.

Yeah we get pretty fucked here. Electronics are way overpriced.

For some components there is not a big difference in price (after shipping) but others there is a lot (GPUs etc).

You can safely import anything below $400 NZD (thats shipping included) without fear of GST (until the Labor fuckheads change this so all imports incur GST).

Anything over $400 and you run the risk of tax. You can get the seller to mark down the value of the goods (I've imported several $700 GPUs, marked down to ~$300 this way) but there is still a risk, and mainstream shops won't do this as its technically illegal.

That being said, I just bought a Gigabyte 1080 from PBTech on boxing day for $900, which is only slightly more than I could have imported it for.

Do you think we will see a price drop for the flagship Intel CPUs soon due to the current fiasco?

I don't mind a 30% performance cut if I'm paying 30% less.

>Do you think we will see a price drop for the flagship Intel CPUs

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
*inhales*
AHAHAHAHAHAH

?

Replacing old Gigabyte - GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ with MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Santa Claus isn't real either user

WEW

the prices will go up. mark my words

this

>companies are purchasing more Xeon D, Xeon E3 v6 and Xeon Gold servers to supplement their 30% loss
Sad, but true

is the VS series of corsair THAT bad? can i oc ryzen safely with a VS 550?

also, i'm wondering why Sup Forums won't buy used when it can save you a lot of money for almost the same performance (like how a 2500k matches ryzen 3 1200). i think it's a good way to dodge high ddr4 prices. or Sup Forums is all about
>muh updated tech
>muh future-proofing
>muh shilling

is IPS a meme?

for gaming/video editing/photoshop, is the "better visuals" worth the 5ms (GTG) disadvantage when I could get a 1ms (GTG) TN panel at the same price?

the TN panel uses DVI tho so will there be any degradation of quality if I buy an HDMI-DVI cable?

when i bought new monitors I figured I would use TN for my gaming monitor and another monitor could use IPS for watching videos

thank the crypto miners for driving the price of every fucking GPU up

>>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
Which one of these would I need to get to support a Vive?

Anyone have Corsair H100i v2?
Any experience with it? Seems somewhat cheap.

I rather have my info stolen than buy Poozen shit.
Who /8400/ up in this nigger?

>inteltards
haha, my dick has never been so erect.
Remember all those underage fags when coffin lake came out?
>muh cobbin lake
>guise is it in stock yet
>the pajeet squad shilling their cobbin lake "haha amdrones look its not a paper release *insert picture with hairy shitskinned hand over blue box 1-2 months after release*
I'm so fucking happy right now. That's what you get for supporting a country that very openly rubs its dick on your face, you fucking cucklords

8400 is based. Its very impressive

Still waiting for newegg to send me the right part after they sent me the wrong one OVER A FUCKING MONTH AGO. At this rate by the time I get it, it wont be worth what I paid for it anymore. At what point can I start charging them interest or better yet send them to the collectors?

You should have bought DDR4

more like I should have ordered from Amazon. They may treat their employees like shit but at least their over-worked peons can read.

oh and lets not forget the time they tried to cover up the fake i7 bullshit by saying it was a "demo model" All the price of a domestic company with all the shadiness of one from China.

You know that nornal user aren't affected by this "30% performance loss", right user?

One shekel has been deposited into your account

Please, i need help with a build

Budget & currency: 5k BRL (1.5k USD) MAX
Uses: Mostly gaming (i need it to run GoW4, Forza H3 and Doom 4). I'm also going to use it for editing from a light to medium level (after effects + vegas).
My actual resolution is 1366x768 and not planning to scale it up.

Pls help

I have an H80 which is essentially a cheaper version with smaller radiator, but it works great. No problems on my end

Amd sir did you miss read it? Also i said i don't need your sheckel.

Good, because we really wern't going to pay you, goy.

Yeah obviously. All you did was offer a cpu. But not a mobo. I had the mobo and the money already so bought an intel. ALSO you didn't support my current ram.

>Not planning to scale it up.
You're a fucking moron, and the money would be better spent on a monitor.
But if you're serious, even an R5 1600 and a 1050 ti would be overkill.

Buy a better monitor with the extra 500 bucks

My plans are not related to top tier whatever the fuck be a better monitor or higher resolution. I'm pretty satisfied with few. I just need a PC right now. I can barely run W10 with my actual setup. My life is ridiculous.

But it's okay if you can't help and only offend

I'm not the one who's gonna drop up to 1.5K on a PC to use with a 1366x768 monitor, you could do a shit tier poor fag build under 500$ and be content, this is pretty good
But I'd lose the 480 for a 1060.

And you're not "satisfied", a 1080p monitor is the norm, I was satisfied with my single 1024X768 21 inch 4:3 CRT once too, and I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

I'm the one who's going to spend all that bunch of money on the build.

I had a friend who used a fullhd display. The quality is indeed nice, but not my goal at the moment. Also i have a lot of shit to spend money on, so 1.5k is already a bunch of money i didn't wanted to spend on anything atm. I'm just desperate to upgrade my rig to anything acceptable that runs newer games and won't freeze my apps to death everytime i open 3 tabs on Chrome, cuz this is my actual scenario.

I get 50fps on MapleStory...

it's a 580, not a 480

Who here is gonna get Ryzen+?

>3570k from 2012
>z77 mobo

how long can i ride this for? aside from PSU these are the oldest components of my rig

The big wave of games making use of multiple cores didn't really come along until just last year. And 144hz freesync is getting cheaper. Maybe go for Ryzen 2 which I think was gonna be in 2019 or 2020.

>And 144hz freesync is getting cheaper

damn i guess i shouldve held off getting another 60hz monitor

i dont know what prices for 144hz are in the states but in canada its usually $300+ and ive been waiting until they drop to around 200 to make the jump

It's fine, you spent less money than the average fag who buys some fucking $1000 phone every 6 months or whatever ridiculous rate they go at.

I don't. Maybe later. But not with start.

I kinda wanna buy this aio for my futur mini itx ryzen+ computer

Your new to this so I'll make it simple, Intel doesn't drop prices.
They do however panic and set the MSRP lower for the next refresh if needed. This is why the -8xxx series are cheaper than their -7xxx brothers, because of Ryzen coming out of nowhere and fucking their performance monopoly.

But lower prices straight from Intel HQ after a release, no.

No way, proof?

I'm waiting to see the release specs. I know it'll be better than the 6 year old Intel i7 I have currently, but I want to see if the R+ is worth getting or wait until R2

My company is buying about 10 Xeon servers of different types (2 Supermicro Xeon D servers for our IIS/Apache web server, 6 Xeon Golds to replace 4 of our Xeon X servers and help out a Xeon E5 v3, and 2 Xeon E3-1585L v5s) as of this Friday. We're waiting on more expense approvals to buy more to replace all of our Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge desktops with Coffee Lakes.

gonna wait a week for benchmarks/reviews it should be just ryzen but slightly better but blind trust and pre-ordering is dumb as fuck

Thoughts on my gaming build? 1080p 144hz monitor.

pcpartpicker.com/list/YjZVtJ

Which company? Is it publicly traded? I want to make sure I'm not investing in retards.

>1 in 10000 chance it leaks and destroys CPU
>get to bill intel for a replacement amd cpu
do it just for the slimmest chance of this the keks will be many

We're not going to waste our time with a CPU manufacturer that
a) refuses to understand what "potentially vulnerable to Spectre" really means
b) failed to provide long term support for any of their professional products because of "lack of sales"
c) has a bad reputation for stability and reliability in a 24/7/365 office environment

Does anyone know if ryzen will work on windows 8.1?

I ask because I've got a spare key & is looking to finally upgrade my CPU.

I didn't think about this but this is just pure awesomeness.

Shoo shill, shoo.

Why is the 1050ti 4Gb and the 1060 3?

Is 1060 better than 1050ti enough to justify price?

How about not using the shittiest version of windows

How about you actually answer the question. Also
>8.1
>Shittiest

I see you never used windows vista SP1.

WTF is happening every single nvidia card is either extremely overpriced or out of stock in my country, starting from 1050ti.
Like literally cheapest 1060 is 380eur, cheapest 1070 470eur..
WTF is going on is there another boom in crypto or nvidia planning to do pricedrops, update pascal cards or finally release gamer volta cards?

Was going to buy the i7 8700k but the i5 8600k is $100 cheaper while being almost just as good?
Which do I get?

About to get a new GPU and with it i will probably have to upgrade to a new PSU because the current one is like 6 years old.
What are some good recommendations for a 500W-600W PSU?

Will 1060 3GB last me 4-5 years? I only plan to stick to 1080p60fps, and if need be I can lower textures and AA to get around only 3GB of VRAM

Seasonic focus 750 is like $109. Great psu

Electricity didn't changed in the past 6 years you know

Get the 6gb version.

My budget is already stretched as it is, and 6GB version is 60 dollars more

Can't you cut some corners? With the 6gb you should be fine for another 4 years minimum.

I guess i could take Ryzen 3 1200 instead of the 1600, but I'd rather have a better processor and just replace the GPU in the future.

Can't you save up from r another week or two?

Actually the elementary charge has decreased by approx 0.08% over the past six years because the expansion of the universe rarifies the electromagnetic force field

Of course that doesn't matter in this case, but if you have an old 80s home computer, it will need its PSU replaced by ~2030 or it will start crashing frequently due to unstable voltages

Huh. You learn something new every day.

If you want your investment to last longer, get a 1050 Ti and save the difference for an upgrade in three years time