Dude use latex

>dude use latex
>you wont need to worry about formatting, you just type!

>spends 2 hours formatting

Why did you lie to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

sharelatex.com/
tablesgenerator.com/
pgfplots.sourceforge.net/gallery.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_tarpit
overleaf.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck did you do

>you wont need to worry about formatting, you just type!

No one has ever said this.

OTOH LaTeX is painful but it WILL pay off.

latex has an intense learning curve, and people acting like it doesn't are either retarded faggots or have forgotten the learning curve they had to go through.

stick to existing templates and dabble in customizing as needed. there's too much to mess with and you're liable to end up lost otherwise.

Pretty much this. The key to LaTeX isn't "write from scratch", it's "take template and modify, google when you need to do something new".

Is there even a point in latex aside from academic papers with formulas in them? Some people seem to create everything in latex. Presentations and etc. Autism.

pic related

you try formatting a table for the first time so that it doesnt come out looking like an autist

\begin{tabular}[autismo parameters]

[spoiler]df.to_latex()[/spoiler]

just like any other tool, you have to learn how to use it

Well for presentation it has the advantage of being simple to edit and it trims down pointless animation bullshit to simple pauses. Additionally it's a simple command to release a separate set of slides without pauses.

For images it's neat because you when you change an image file the image gets updated the next time you compile it.

You can also maintain separate documents for instance a list of contributors and simply by updating that file the list of contributors in the latex document will update as well.

You might also be able to do that using other tools but tex has the advantage of supporting whatever the fuck you want at the cost of being able to do everything.

>sharelatex.com/

Save yourself the trouble and use this:

tablesgenerator.com/

Set the table style to Booktabs, which is the preferred modern template. I've been using LaTeX for 5 years, and I don't bother writing the script for my own tables unless I need to do some weird layout. It's just not worth effort when this can do it for you.

>latex has an intense learning curve
core latex is quite easy?

pgfplots and TikZ can consume much time if you want some fancy plots

I still need to get around to learning it one day. The output looks quite nice. Maybe I'll pick it up when life decides to pull out of my ass for a week.

>tablesgenerator.com/
wrting my BA thesis in latex at the moment, my brother walked by and said "WEW looks like a book"

As a markup language is shit. You have something like 6 ways to make bold text and don't let me talk about placing pictures, plots, alignments or custom templates.

It's good as long as you don't have to modify its default behaviour.

what's the fucking point? you could do the same in word with a fraction of the effort.

if you can't see the difference, you're a pleb

the basic stuff maybe, now create vector plots like this in word

pgfplots.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

Christ dude, you just doxxed yourself on Sup Forums.

rip

I wonder how such an ancient technology like Latex still doesn't have good error messages. If you've got some typo in a long formula (even worse if it's embedded in a surrounding paragraph on the same line, you can infer absolutely nothing about the source of the error from Latex' shitty error messages.

You're lucky to even get a line number out of stuff like pdftex, maybe it will also just tell you that your document isn't valid since somewhere there a bracket doesn't match or some shit.

It truly is C++-template compiler error tier .

I'm at the point where I can often translate between the nonsensical error message and what actually happened. Yes, it's awful.

It's so fucking hard

Use Markdown

Hey Sup Forums let's send a horse dildo to John Smith, 123 Broadway, City (State) 12345

the problem is, all plots look the same, there is jsut no room for individualism

>these brainlets don't use latex

lol

at least you can fix errors in latex, if word fucks up you 200 page file, then good night.

you're writing a fucking report not some art piece

this is a plot I made yesterday
can you do something like that in office?

latex is easy with a template, you can start writing right away with some basic commands

>He doesn't strive to make his report a thought provoking aesthetic masterpiece
why even try?

It's easier once you get going, doing referencing in Latex is so fucking easy.

>click cite button on scholar
>paste into bibtex
>insert cite tag
>recompile
>correct, properly formatted reference with 0 effort

What part of
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)
is that hard to understand?

You can do it in pyplot and then save the figure as a png that you can paste into word [spoiler]:^)[/spoiler]

>png
png is still no vector graphic, it will look like shot zoomed in and printed out.

>shot
shit

Yes, easy.

one think I love about latex is that you can break down large documents into smaller pieces, much more convinient than handling a giant word file

>insert a new line in a word doc, line 3
>every table and image from page 3 to page 400 breaks or disappears outside of page boundaries
Wow word strong

Provided some autist in your uni had gone through the uni thesis style guide and made a template for you. Otherwise, it sucks.

what word are you using? Word never existan?

Then don't zoom in?
Profit ????

Why don't you just write documents directly in PDF?

Line breaking on the right is clearly superior

this faggots. Markdown is quite better

How do I into Latex?

You don't know how to read. It never said you won't have formatting.

I
PUFFI
SANNO
CHEUNTESOROC'È
NeLfIoReAcCanToAtE

What is the point of latex? As I understand it, it really is a quite complicated program. Why not simply use PowerPoint or Word?

it's better at making text look fancy and allowing you to edit the flow of text in ways that Word simply does not. It's not really a text editor, it's a text presentation editor.

No, it will not pay off

sometimes you have to

it will once you have set up all things.

Is there a good WYSIWYG editor with latex export? I'm too lazy for this bullshit.

But it just as easy.

Creating the thing on the right is just as easy if you get the basics down.

And especially when it gets more complicated it becomes obvious that the plain text you write in latex is easier to handle.

Don't.
It doesn't include essential features, needed for more then basic mathematics.

Start by choosing something to write and then Google until you figured out how you do it.

There is LyX, that uses Latex as a backend.

>Not art
Personally that is how I treat my documents.
Content and presentation need to go together to create a document which is enjoyable to read.

>[spoiler]df.to_latex()[/spoiler]

Not everyone writes maths, you know

>typing up homework
>decide to do a tikz figure
>waste 3 hours searching obscure options and writing page of tikz code to make it perfect

Just draw it in Inkscape and import it to Latex

Well, if you don't write a lot of math latex becomes less interesting.

But if you don't really need the math features markdown is decent for note taking and other stuff.

Tikz really is insane, I have done quite a lot of graphics with it but it always feels like I just scratched the surface.

If the end result wouldn't look so good I wouldn't bother, but it just feels too good when everything is just right.

I feel like that would make it too hard to make changes, and if you do more complex things, like a tikz graphic in an enumerate in a node of a tikz graphic in an enumerate you will get headaches.

use pandoc, embed latex maths to markdown

man, the version on the right sure sucks compared to the one on the left
which one is which?

nice, saves on my Christmas shopping. Flared please.

- Make maintaining them with common tools like git and svn simpler
- Output in multiple formats, not just PDF
- Keep extra metadata that doesn't appear directly in the "end product"

See also, "why don't you just write programs directly in assembly?"

Left is probably Word, since Right is almost definitely LaTeX using mostly defaults.

You can go full autistic with the memoir class (Like I'm doing with my dissertation at the moment).

But you don't need to, you can just use standard everything or a template.

left: the chad word
right: the virgin latex

weak bait

One would think so, but honestly the composition on the right sucks balls.
- All that whitespace.
- Tiny font size.
- Needs a magnifying glass to read.
- Serif for no good reason, further shitting up readability.
- Footnotes just slapped below main body without sufficient spacing.
Maybe some autist thought "oh, my fancy serifs, so purdy", but a document isn't meant to be a fashion statement. It is meant to be readable. Easily readable, not crippled due to form over function layout and formatting.
Honestly, if this is the best latex has OOTB (compared to Word), it's no wonder people are giving up on it.

you can change all that easily in latex, just a few lins of code

but the argument for latex is that you don't have to worry about this shit

the argument that you can do anything in is no argument against it being a turing tarpit* with retarded defaults
sane defaults matter, most projects that doesn't understand that are doomed to obscurity

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_tarpit
"A Turing tarpit [...] is any programming language or computer interface that allows for flexibility in function but is difficult to learn and use because it offers little or no support for common tasks"

>doesn't
>don't
FTFM
that's what happens when I rephrase but don't proof-read enough afterwards.

you dont have to worry about it once you made it have set it how you like it.

I just made 16 fancy graphs by just altering the file path.

Making the style for one graph took some time.

>once you made it have set it how you like it
but the argument people make for latex is that you don't have to worry about this shit period

>pic related
You can use LaTeX in different ways. If you strictly stick to pre-defined templates, than you get more of that "separation of content and presentation".

In practice though, it's more of a mix, since LaTeX is really just a set of macros on top of a typesetting system.This is part of why I don't use LaTeX directly much anymore. "Separation of content and presentation" becomes more obvious IMO when they are clearly separate components, like with an XML/XSL-FO workflow where even though all of it is XML, the "source" XML is clearly the "content" and the XSL-FO stylesheet is clearly the "presentation".

That's not a slight against LaTeX by the way, I think it does what it intends to do well, it's just the "presentation" of the documents I write usually has almost no bearing. I do use LaTeX, just as a typesetting system and not what I write a document in (in that case, it's an alternative to XSL-FO and an FO processor like Apache FOP)

there are no latex defaults, it was his template he used in the bolognese example

>fucks up both

>but the argument people make for latex is that you don't have to worry about this shit period

setting front size and shit like that are like 3-5 short lines of code.

the programm cant possibly know what you prefer

yeah, you use the siunitx package for stuff lage that

\SI{400}{\gram}

Once you know the tags (which are fewer than the number of HTML tags you need to know in order to make a 90s homepage) it works like a charm.

No more containers moving around and fucking up your layout, or your entire multi-page document breaking when adding a single character you didn't account for

>lage

>Once you know the tags (which are fewer than the number of HTML tags you need to know in order to make a 90s homepage) it works like a charm.

this, my most used tags are not more than 20

I use Plain TeX, AMA.

>there are no latex defaults
let me refocus your mind on the main point of my argument:
>if this is the best latex has out of the box (compared to Word), it's no wonder people are giving up on it.
and you're saying that out of the box, latex offers even less
also
>"A Turing tarpit [...] is any programming language or computer interface that allows for flexibility in function but is difficult to learn and use because it offers little or no support for common tasks"
>is difficult to [...] use because it offers little or no support for common tasks
>little or no support for common tasks
i.e. doesn't have good enough (or any) defaults/stdlib equivalent

a non-shit system should have non-shit templates installed (as recommended packages) when I install it. It should reduce the barrier to achieving stuff that I can do in Word in 5 minutes (and I think Word sucks balls compared to latex for all the usual reasons)

ecosystem/usability/main success scenario for common tasks is important, dammit. I don't like latex being an unsupported esoteric POS, when it could have much wider support/community/mindshare if distro packagers would put their effort on the most important priorities

>what is "sane defaults"

so any C++ compiler that comes with a "Hello World" example is automatically shit?

Try it out online!

overleaf.com/

try "Python, but without the stdlib, and no package manager"

Thanks bros.

>puffaffero gpl

You format as you write you homo. Do you have no vision or something?

>dude use latex
>publisher does not accept latex submissions

Post video with feminine dick wheb it arrives

because they lowered to the brainlet standards