Asus literally gave away who was the one that started the mess

asus literally gave away who was the one that started the mess

On a side note: The reason this is an uncoordinated mess is that the announcement wasn't supposed to happen for another week. Security researchers figured it out early. The reason they figured it out early is that one of AMD's engineers described the flaw when posting a patch to the Linux kernel. The information in his patch note wasn't supposed to be public. That told everyone where to look. So if you're annoyed by the way this played out, thank AMD.

rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98738-SPECTRE-and-MELTDOWN-Bug-rocks-Intel-ARM-CPUs/page4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HHgxOXEQaFU
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c?id=a89f040fa34ec9cd682aed98b8f04e3c47d998bd
reuters.com/article/us-intel-cyber-vulnerability/u-s-government-warns-businesses-about-cyber-bug-in-intel-chips-idUSKBN1DM01R
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This isn't fresh news

So it's ALL AMDs fault, oy vey!

For you

wtf I hate AMD now!1
brb buying Intel cpus

meanwhile, at Intel hq:
youtu.be/HHgxOXEQaFU

That's a nice theory but it was discovered by security researchers like in may, disclosed to vendors in june, and the announcement was planned well in advance with proper press release material, whitepapers, and all that other stuff for the meltdown and spectre website.

AMD releasing what it was a week early was pretty minor actually.

pretty sure no one was ready to deploy their patches yet thats why

- /* Assume for now that ALL x86 CPUs are insecure */
- setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);
+ if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)
+ setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

>Assume for now that ALL x86 CPUs are insecure
Implying previous comment in the code didn't exist. Oh, you motherfucking retard.

what's the alternative? not post a patch? not comment the patch and hope nobody figures out the content?

AMD patch everyone is referring to? Dec 27.
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2

But look, the original merge occurred on Dec 23:
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c?id=a89f040fa34ec9cd682aed98b8f04e3c47d998bd

So how could AMD had leaked it early when it was all public already? The AMD patch literally reverted Intel fuckery made to level the playing field.

Thank you AMD

ASUS, ROG, Sup Forums-shit tier source.

exactly the video i expected

good intel caught with their shorts down

if i find it VERY VERY funny that the patches were going to deploy by jan9 and the opening keynote of CES is from intel ceo at jan8...

seems like someone really wanted to flip them off

>AMD releasing what it was a week early was pretty minor actually.

Selling off billions in shares can't be done overnight.
It's costing Intel executives millions because they couldn't dump their stock in time.

This was known for a long time
US gov warned bushiness to stop buying Intel CPUs in Nov
Intel management engine "bug" is the same flaw as meltdown and spectre both are kernel-memory relations issues.
reuters.com/article/us-intel-cyber-vulnerability/u-s-government-warns-businesses-about-cyber-bug-in-intel-chips-idUSKBN1DM01R

>pretty sure no one was ready to deploy their patches yet thats why

Apple released their OSX kernel patch on the 6th of Dec only the release notes were generic at the time but have been updated recently to describe what the patch did.

It's not like people didn't work it out from the fucking X86_CPU_INSERCURE_BUG flag added to the linux kernel in like early december

>yes goy divert your attention to amd
>don't blame intel oy vey

>as if other executives matter

>The information in his patch note wasn't supposed to be public.
I think he knew very well what he was doing.

wasn't a tunblr dude sleuthing that did it all?
sue you can say that this or that engineer annotation/comment on a public piece of code had the most meat in the bone and ended up verifying it all, but the dude was already looking for something suspicious. He just found that thing that made him finally go, aha. jackpot.

not to mention this, which is way more inconspicuous than a comment in a obscure piece of code.

and this,
do you really think momma lisa is mad at that engineer?
she gave the man a big fat bonus.

>insecure
yes user, intel is insecure right now.
because their chips are all unsecure.

Is AMD evil lads? Please tell me, you're the only ones I can trust since everyone is telling lies on the internet.