simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
youtube.com/watch?v=sQB2NjhJHvY
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/index.en.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux-libre
kernel.org/
michael.lustfield.net/rambling/i-use-linux-get-it-right
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A miserable pile of source code, but enough talk.

An operating system like Windows but free.

It's an operating system, the app that runs the other apps.

a bootcamper's capstone project

what is an operating system?

Linux is a Kernel, */Linux is an Operating System

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Loonix, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Loonix. Loonix is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Loonix, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Loonix is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Loonix is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Loonix added, or GNU/Loonix. All the so-called Loonix distributions are really distributions of GNU/Loonix!

an operating system for queer faggot pansexuals like you

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>nowitzki
Neither of them are German

Today's german are from polish origin. Real germans are Austrians.

Linux is a kernel. It translates hardware hurr to software durr. It's common in operating systems like Android on mobile GNU/Linux in the desktop and powers embedded systems such as smart TV's, routers and containers.

>Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories

What exactly is "GNU"? I know it's supposed to be some core programs, but like what specifically? And nowadays, wouldn't SystemD/Linux be a more appropriate term? At least I actually know some of the things SystemD provides and I actually work with it, whereas I have no fucking clue about GNU.

There's probably more than this, but the main examples of their contributions is the entire set of basic command line programs (ls, cat, grep, sed, awk, more, less, tar, etc...), the GNU C library, the GCC compiler, and a whole bunch of other essential stuff.

oh yeah and the Bash shell, used on nearly every system.
Here's what Wikipedia has to say on it.
>The system's basic components include the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), the GNU C library (glibc), and GNU Core Utilities (coreutils), but also the GNU Debugger (GDB), GNU Binary Utilities (binutils), the GNU Bash shell and the GNOME desktop environment.
>As of November 2015, there are a total of 466 GNU packages (including decommissioned, 383 excluding) hosted on the official GNU development site.

>What is Linux?

terminal stage of autism.

Your welcome

what's this from?

operating system for computers. An operating system is a collection of the basic instructions that manage the electronic parts of the computer allowing running application programs. Linux is free software. Free software means that everyone has the freedom to use it, see how it works, change it or share it.

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

There is a lot of software for Linux and—like Linux itself—a lot of the software for Linux is free software. This is one reason why many people like to use Linux.

The defining component of Linux is the Linux kernel.[4][5][6]

Linux was originally developed as a free operating system for personal computers. Thanks to its dominance on smartphones, Android, which is built on top of the Linux kernel, has the largest installed base of all general-purpose operating systems.[7] Linux, in its original form, is also the leading operating system on servers such as mainframe computers and supercomputers,[8][9] but is used on only around 3.4% of desktop computers.[10] Linux also runs on embedded systems, which are devices whose operating system is typically built into the firmware and is highly tailored to the system; this includes mobile phones,[11] tablet computers, network routers, facility automation controls, televisions,[12][13] video game consoles and smartwatches.[14]

Who is Linux Tech Tips?

The development of Linux is one of the most prominent examples of free and open-source software collaboration. The underlying source code may be used, modified, and distributed—commercially or non-commercially—by anyone under the GNU General Public License version 2 (and some software components under other licenes). Typically, Linux is packaged in a form known as a Linux distribution, for both desktop and server use. Some of the popular mainstream Linux distributions are Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, openSUSE, Arch Linux and Gentoo, together with commercial Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server distributions. Linux distributions include the Linux kernel, supporting utilities and libraries, and usually a large amount of application software to fulfill the distribution's intended use.

Apple's new ad:
youtube.com/watch?v=sQB2NjhJHvY

this.

Distributions oriented toward desktop use typically include X11, a Wayland implementation, or Mir as the windowing system, and an accompanying desktop environment such as GNOME or the KDE Software Compilation; some distributions may also include a less resource-intensive desktop such as LXDE or Xfce. Distributions intended to run on servers may omit all graphical environments from the standard install, and instead include other software to set up and operate a solution stack such as LAMP. Because Linux is freely redistributable, anyone may create a distribution for any intended use.

How Linux was made

In the 1980s, many people liked to use an operating system called Unix. But because it restricted the user from sharing and improving the system, some people made a new operating system that would work like Unix but which anybody could share or improve. MINIX, similar to Unix, was used as a teaching tool for university students to learn how operating systems worked. MINIX also restricted its sharing and improvement by its users.

A group of people called the GNU Project wrote different parts of a new operating system called GNU, but it did not have all the parts an operating system needs to work. In 1991 Linus Torvalds began to work on a replacement for MINIX that would be free to use, and which would not cost anything. Linus started the project when he was attending the University of Helsinki.[15][16] This eventually became the Linux kernel.

Linus Torvalds shared the Linux kernel on some internet groups for MINIX users. Linus first called the operating system "Freax". The name Freax came from joining up the English words "free" and "freak", and adding an X to the name because Unix has an X in its name. Ari Lemmke, who worked with Linus at the University, was responsible for the servers that Freax was stored on. Ari did not think Freax was a good name, so he called the project "Linux" without asking Linus. Later, Linus agreed that Linux was a better name for his project.

Linux relied on software code from MINIX at first. But, with code from the GNU system available for free, he decided it would be good for Linux if it could use that code, instead of code from MINIX. The GNU General Public License is a software license that lets people change any part of the code they want to, as long as they share any changes they make with the people they give their software to and allow them to redistribute it for free or for a price . The software from GNU was all licensed under the GNU General Public License, so Linus and the other people who worked on Linux could use it too.

To make the Linux kernel suitable for use with the code from the GNU Project, Linus Torvalds started a switch from his original license (which did not allow people to sell it) to the GNU GPL.[17] Linux and GNU developers worked together to integrate GNU code with Linux to make a free operating system.

Since 1991, thousands of programmers and companies have worked to make Linux better including Google.

GNU is a operating system developed in the 80s, to be a free as im freedom clone of the proprietary Unix system, but without a finished kernel. Combined with Linux, which was developed in the 90s, it makes the core system of today's GNU/Linux distributions. Read more about it here: gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html

Tux the penguin

The mascot of Linux is a cartoon penguin named "Tux". When a person sees the penguin on software and hardware, it means that it will work with Linux, and sometimes all systems that are like Unix.

The idea of the penguin came from the creator of Linux, Linus Torvalds. The image was made by a man named Larry Ewing in a competition to create a logo. The image, Tux, did not win, but it was picked as a mascot later.

Tux has now become a symbol for Linux, and sometimes even for open source. He can be seen in many different places and often, when people refer to Linux, they think about Tux. Tux has even been included in many video games, such as Super Tux (like Super Mario Bros.), Tux Racer (where players race Tux down an icy hill) and Pingus (like Lemmings).

Linux is not free software. It contains nonfree, binary only software called "blobs".

kek'd

Source model Mainly open source, proprietary software also available

The GNU project maintains a fork of linux that removes any and all blobs.
Download it here:
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/index.en.html
Info from Wiki:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux-libre

A bunch of horrible utilities, a shitty compiler now deprecated by clang, and the worst linker in existence.

i could see RMS as dracula

clang/llvm
musl
busybox
lldb
llvm binutils
tcsh/zsh/sh/dash etc.

so does systemd/linux make more sense then?

>gcc is a shitty compiler

Yes, those are indeed things, but that user was simply asking what GNU is, so I gave the answer.
Also, if musl is so good, why do things break when using it that work just fine on glibc? Clearly musl is inferior.

yes, but neither of them are more correct than simply saying Linux. Go ahead and use JUST systemd or JUST GNU coreutils as your OS. I’ll wait

Go ahead and use JUST Linux as your OS.
As in, just the kernel.
From here.
kernel.org/
i'll wait

Grandads old truck that every mechanic in town has taken a wrench too.

musl is just too advanced for most software, like if aliens came down and provided us tech — we wouldn’t understand it despite its superiority

So musl is the rick and morty of libcs?

A thing that loads hardware drivers and passes memory and threads to processes and tells them to fuck off and stuff.

you understand that you are only proving my point right? That’s absolutely doable. Would it be comfortable? No, but it is fully functional. The same cannot be said if periferals like systemd and GNU. For the record, I rely on probably 100 different gnu utilities on a daily basis, but that doesn’t mean that I’m using a “gnu os.”
michael.lustfield.net/rambling/i-use-linux-get-it-right

wubalubadubdub

A glorified webbrowser.

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

[Citation needed]
Historically, Germany was a rather loose collection of small kingdoms. There was no sense of unity except that they spoke the same language. These sense of unity first appeared after the Napoleonic wars.
Most Germans today would therefore accept someone as German if he speaks German without an accent or better if he speaks the local dialect.

I always thought he looks more like a hobo than a vampire lord.

>What is Linux?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called " xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program.

I'm the only one that get higly triggered by this little genderless piece of shit? I don't mean the user or his comment, i'm talking about the little cunt from that ad, the fact you can't tell if it's an ugly as sin proto-femnazi, a sissy faggot or even a queer midget really trigger the hell out of me as i can't even identify that clusterfuck of faggotry as a human or even a living being.

And i'm fine with all those deviations and degeneracy as long as they're clear about it, but that kind of amorphous shit shouldn't even exist in a normal natural enviroment.

>Hurd
>Debian k/freebsd
But muh kernel is the entire OS

There, there

You ok bud

>what's a computer
Wozniak must be rolling in his grave

IMMA COMPUTAH

Ehm he is not dead yet

HEY KID, IMA COMPUTER

It's a small penguin that can fit everywhere.
You can have it on routers or phones, or have a whole army of penguins running in a big big computer, every penguin serving a person that connects to it.
It is not very good at running regular computers because they're a bit confused on what tuxedo to use, but some penguin masters love it.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Free Beer, is in fact, No-Cost Beer, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Copyright-Encumbered Beer. Beer is not free unto itself, but rather a product of a recipe of a fully private formula made useful by the brewer, bottler and various marketing campaigns comprising a full product as defined by world patent agencies.
Many thrill seekers drink a particular recipe of beer every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the type of beer which is widely drank at parties is often called "Free Beer", and many of its imbibers are not aware that it is essentially a copyrighted product, locked-down by the brand owner.
There really is beer, and these people are drinking it, but it is just a product of the brand they choose. Beer is property: the beverage in the system that inhibits the brain's resources to the other thoughts that you have. The beer is an essential part of a proprietary system, freedomless by definition; it is only consumed in the context of a complete, private patent. No-Cost beer is normally drank in the company of friends: the supporters of a freedom-denying corporation that basically protects its own interest with copyrights, or Copyright-Encumbered Beer. All the so-called "Free Beer" distributions are really distributions of No-Cost Beer.

>What's a computer?
>Why won't Silicon Valley hire women?