Muh Meltdown

Friendly reminder:
g460p is the best CPU that was ever created by humanity.
dsogaming.com/news/intel-lists-all-cpus-affected-by-spectre-meltdown-epic-shows-performance-impact-on-gaming-servers/

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/27525/Intel-Pentium-III-Processor---S-1_40-GHz-512K-Cache-133-MHz-FSB
meltdownattack.com/
xb9.672875:9001/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-order_execution
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Die faggot kike

>mfw i have two of these bad boys that are unaffected by spectre and meltdown, with ram and a dual socket motherboard
ark.intel.com/products/27525/Intel-Pentium-III-Processor---S-1_40-GHz-512K-Cache-133-MHz-FSB

>P3
>unaffected

Find it in any of the lists, fag.

C2D unaffected, HUE HUE HUE

Doesn't mean anything. Dual 2 cores aren't on the list either but apparently are also affected.

Are they though? They aren't on the list but according to the powershell test they have the vulnerabilities too.

Can anyone explain what these two bugs actually are? Everybody talks about spectre and meltdown, but what is it actually?

you're fucking retarded

I want a technical explanation you dipshit. Not just "muh architecture bug needs fixing and slows down your cpu"

Guys, guys. Looking for back info on OoOE on Intel processors I found this little nugget on Wikipedia.

>The Intel P6 family was among the earliest OoOE microprocessors, but were supplanted by the NetBurst architecture. Years later, Netburst proved to be a dead end due to its long pipeline that assumed the possibility of much higher operating frequencies. ... Intel reverted to the P6 design as the basis of the Core and Nehalem microarchitectures. The succeeding Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell microarchitectures are a departure from the reordering techniques used in P6 and employ re-ordering techniques from the EV6 and the P4 without a long pipeline.
The current OoOE techniques used in all of the processors from Core onwards (aka everything affected) was left over from Netburst.

(This does mean that maybe my P3s are affected by some of the exploits but they would need to tested as they use a different method of OoOE).

Then go read the papers
meltdownattack.com/

as if intel will give a full list

You know what other processor isn't affected by Meltdown?
The Ryzen family.

Are Core 2 Duos affected by the exploits or are they affected by the patches?

Two separate things.

nice. you can continue to play super mario

As far as I am aware the powershell test doesn't test if the CPU is actually vulnerable to the exploits, like it doesn't run an exploit and see if it works.

It checks CPU features and if the system has the mitigation installed. In fact, the Microsoft article that explains the test says that it is "To help customers verify that protections are enabled...".

At least I can still run Super Mario.

some hot shit
xb9.672875:9001/
lmao!

Fucking hell, Netburst managed to fuck everything up one last time.

So will the update not need to be applied for C2D users, or will the update, if applied, simply not have any impact?

[sounds of shit dropping on the street]

Thanks

It's very unlikely that C2D processors aren't affected by this exploit even if they weren't officially listed yet. I mean, even much older Pentium and Celeron processors are affected, so why wouldn't a C2D be?

I don't fucking care about you AMDrones or shilltel cucks. The thing is — I am a king. I made the right choice. So fuck of you peasants!
DO NOT FORGET:
G-SERIES IS NOT AFFECTED. I AM A KING. G4600 FTW

>next up
>Sup Forumsseries is affected
>user commits sudoku

The update, if applied, will affect C2D users, because, even if they segregate processor manufacturers, they're not going to going to test every single CPU to see if it is affected and then list all those CPUs in the driver.
So all Intel CPUs will be affected by the OS patches.
Most likely all CPUs will be affected by application updates (at best segregated to just all Intel CPUs again).

Those Pentium and Celeron processors listed are NOT older than C2D.
Those are BayTrail processors released in 2013.

Yes, I will. I have enough reasons to do this.

So the Core2 series isn't affected? Could that be???

don't get your hopes up

Are the core 2 duo processors the 1st generation of intel core? I thought the 2 stands for them being the second generation. At least that's what wikipedia says, which would make them part of the list.

It is affected (for spectre, at least). Tested on my p8800 and Q9450.

Though, it does seem to be far less reliable than on other newer CPUs.

Can someone explain me why g4600 pentium is not affected? It came out with 7th generation so why it shouldnt be? Different manufacturing?

>G4600
>Skylake
It's part of the Core i Sixth Generation
You're fucked
It is affected because it's the same silicon as the Core i3-6100. He's just a moron.

Ryzen is fully compromised by Spectre. None of what AMD said about hardening against Spectre turned out to be true

no. core is the series, 2 is the gen, duo is number of cores

Then why are people saying C2D possibly aren't affected because they aren't on the list if the 2 stands for gen and gen 2 cores are on the list?

Because Intel didn't put it on their list of vulnerable processors, like AMD didn't put their Athlon 64, Phenom I/II, Athlon I/II, Sempron, Opteron, A-Series APU, Athlon X2/X4, FX-Series, and Ryzen as compromised by Spectre.

>no core 2 duo / quad

idk why you care those cpu's are slow as fuck anyway

You're still vulnerable to Meltdown. Intel Core i are spawned off of the Core2 architecture, so if they have the same vulnerabilities, the Core2s also have them.
It's just that Intel will not provide any updates or patches for you, so you're screwed.

>Are the core 2 duo processors the 1st generation of intel core?
Yes, they are.

This is really confusing and I know but if you look down the list in Wikipedia I will explain it a little.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors

You have the Core microarchitecture, which is Core 2.
Then you have Nehalem, which is the first time they start using the Core i3/i5/i7 and the first Core i3/i5/7 in the list (the 35nm and 45nm models). These processors all had three digit model numbers.
Then you have Sandy Bridge/ Ivy Bridge, which is the 2nd generation Core processors. These all have four digit model numbers starting with a 2 to denote the generation.

assmad kids spotted

See

At least I'm not a soon-to-be-salty-as-fuck AMD owner about to discover that Spectre is easier to use on Ryzen than any recent Intel CPU.

>mad as fuck Intel fanboy

meltdown is fixed on the software side by the windows update. It's spectre that requires the bios update.

>being this tilted over a fucking computer part

>tfw no bios update

he probably cant afford it anyway if he owns a core 2 and he thinks shitting on intel processors makes us intel fanboys

>dat file name
A true veteran.

See this
>Intel Core iX (45nm and 32nm)
Those are directly spun off of Conroe and Penryn. Core2Duo and Quad are also affected, as well as Pentium E and Celeron E

I'm already patched. Only seeing about 7% loss at best after the patch, which means that my Core i7-8700K is only 15% faster than the 1800X at Adobe AfterEffects CC.

> Dual 2 cores

He's probably talking about the glued together Intels

You know, with all this speculation and uncertainty, it would be really nice if Intel just released a list of CPUs who are definitely NOT affected by Meltdown and Spectre. I mean, they know for a fact with which processor they started using this shit flawed technology so I don't understand why they make a fucking incomplete list where they may or may not have just forgotten to include some CPUs, instead of clearly stating which ones have and which ones don't have the affected technology.

>Adobe AfterEffects
That's great champ. Hey don't forget to post some 720p benchmarks for some obscure game as well.

All Intels from 1995 and AMD Athlon 64s are vulnerable to Meltdown. All Intel and AMD CPUs are vulnerable to Spectre. Only Intel has been patched to defend against Spectre, AMD refuses to release a patch to fix one version of Spectre because of their hubris. Assume all AMD CPUs (including Ryzen) are more vulnerable to Spectre than Intel post-patch.

>Those are directly spun off of Conroe and Penryn.
Not quite, there were some major changes.
New branch predictors were introduced and Hyper-Threading was brought back.

Come back to me.
Ill keep you safe

then why did they deliberately exclude 1st gen intel core from that list?

That's the Core i (45nm and 32nm), moron
>Nehalem 45nm Core i
>Westmere 32nm Core i
And no, I don't know why Intel labeled them as such rather than "First Generation Core i"

>Only Intel has been patched to defend against Spectre

What patch? The motherboard bios updates? Maybe 1-2% of manufacturers have released one yet. Or am I missing some official Intel release that magically fixes this problem for the other 98% of people?

So which one is it?

Probably because their processor models lack the 1 initial designation that would confuse people (not that it has saved this list from confusing people).

Those posts don't disagree.

There were changes between Nehalem/Westemere and Sandy Bridge designs, but they all utilize the same basic speculative execution principles. The details are different, but the concept is still the same.

One is saying C2D was the first gen of intel cores thus not on the list and one is saying C2D is the same as Core i3 (45nm and 32nm) thus on the list.

No, the other is saying that the Core2 are similar to the Core i3 (45nm and 32nm) because they were directly based off of it with significant feature additions. Conroe/Penryn are not the same as Nehalem/Westmere, but have the same bones.

Then my question still remains why Intel decided to exclude the actual Core2 processors from the list of affected CPUs. The I3 is extremely similar to the i5 yet they didn't arbitrarily decide to leave out the i3.

Look, sorry it's a clusterfuck.

I'm pretty sure that the "1st generation of core processors" refers to Nehalem/Westmere where they introduced Core iX.

It's a clusterfuck because they have the Core microarchitecture that they named the Core 2 after. Then the next generation of that architecture was Nehalem, then the next generation was Sandy Bridge, where they started using the term "2nd generation Core processors".

Because they're not going to provide any updates for them. The furthest back they will go is the first gen Core i. Note how none of the Pentium 4s, Ds, or earlier processors are listed either, and the Pentium 4s are 100% affecte by Meltdown.

>Pentium 4s are 100% affecte by Meltdown.
That makes two meltdowns Pentium 4s are affected by.

Pentium 4s? Intel has been using this speculative execution technology thing since fucking 2000?

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-order_execution

the p4 is broke?
i recently tested this with the white-paper sample and it crashed on me.
to be fair, i cross-compiled it from my main system (running linux) to xp which is what my p4 system runs.
if this method is flawed, ill try to get a non-PITA temp linux running on this thing and check, if it still crashes.

It works on Linux. I don't think anyone's tested on XP because it's already so insecure

Basically any CPU made by Intel after 1995 is vulnerable. Even Pentium II.

alright, ill get a penguin running on it and test again then (even if i know it dies, hope is still there)

When is the first time I can upgrade now? 12th gen core CPUs running the new x86-2 spec in 2021?

Coffee Lake with patches. Better than Ryzen and not exploitable like Ryzen.

you're fucking gay.
This CPU is skylake based, and it's also affected.
Also Meltdown isn't such a big deal to patch. It doesn't make a huge difference in performance anyway.
Spectre affects all CPUs since Pentium Pro.