What laptop should I buy myself?

My laptop is dying

I need
>500+ gigs hd
>8+ gigs ram
>i5/i7 level processor (AMD equivalent is fine)
>preferably pretty damn portable so I can bring it to class

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net
asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UR/
notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-x360-15-Ryzen-5-2500U-Radeon-Vega-8-Laptop-Review.266614.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

xps 15

x220
x230
x240
t440P

T430, stick 16GB of RAM in it and get a 9 cell battery alongside a 7200rpm HDD.
That'll save you a few hundred dollars.

Better wait for 8th gen

>need an i5 i7 level processor
>what you really get is a p4 level processor with the i7 badging

Need a modern laptop with AMD processor, 8+ gb, touchscreen. What can I get?

questions that needs to be answered before a recommendation can be offered:

Is price important?
Do you game on your laptop?
Is display quality important to you?
Can you wait 1 week (CES with laptops just around the corner)?
What are you favourite programs?

Thoughts on the surface book2. I need something portable. I do screenplays and social media management.

>Is price important?
Preferably anything as long as it's under $1100, although the cheaper the better cause I'm broke

>Do you game on your laptop?
Occasionally, but usually the heaviest ones I'll do is portal or other source games. Would be kinda cool to get nudoom or even gta5 to run well on it, although I wouldn't want to sacrifice portability over it

>Is display quality important to you?
A bit. It doesn't need to be top-tier, but as long as movies look pretty I'm all set

>Can you wait 1 week (CES with laptops just around the corner)?
If they'll fit my needs, 1 week would be no problem

>What are you favourite programs?
I dualboot between linux with i3 wm and windows. Usually I run firefox, spotify, steam, vlc, gcc, vim, retro vidya emulators

this limits it pretty much, portable and still be able play games as these you will want a dedicated GPU and portable (for me at least) means less then 1.6kg

Asus Zenbook comes to mind priced around $1000, is light and and has a 940mx

I prefer thinkpads tho, the upcoming t480 will have a gpu option.. but will cost you quite some $$$

Ultrabooks are the real deal in portability, but all their integrated GPUs suck.. portal 1 is playable but even Team Fortress 2 will only run 720p

Display quality: look for IPS if you like to watch movies on your notebook, a TN panel will hurt for watching anything since you will move your head around from time to time

if you can live with 8gb ram you can check the Lenovo Ideapad 320S, has a 150MX

btw for kind of decent reviews notebookcheck.net is your friend

I have one of these, it's bretty good

asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UR/

>class
Try something with pen input. Typed notes is dildos.

HP Envy X360

For all you guys,
is it possible to get a laptop that's about sub $300, upgrade ram and storage, and be able to play demanding games like fallout, pubg, or battlefield 1?
Obviously a poorfag but I can't hike up $500 for a while and my current laptop is spazzing.
External gpu things aren't out of the question either.

My handwriting is dildos

what will this be able to do once put together?

>Can you wait 1 week (CES with laptops just around the corner)?
I was on the market for a new laptop but with Spectre I'm not sure if it's safe to buy any machine coming out this year.

I was going to suggest a MacBook Air as it fits your specs, but apparently their laptop still uses a 720p web camera. Also, you get 8GB of LPDDR3 ram clocked at 1600mhz.

This.

Ryzen 5/7 notebooks are just around the corner..

notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-x360-15-Ryzen-5-2500U-Radeon-Vega-8-Laptop-Review.266614.0.html

t420

I think the Linux kernel has a flag now flagging non AMD processors as insecure but I still feel a little uneasy buying any machine coming out this year. I was hoping to go for the business laptop meme in part because I'm from /lit/ and really value a good keyboard.

My botnet phone has not been updated to Oreo and I fear it will never get the needed security patch. I always put off rooting my Moto G4 for fear of breaking the thing. I absolutely do not want to waste any more money on another Crapdroid phone. I was hoping I could use it until GNU/Linux becomes a thing on smartphones.