Kde vs gnome

Which is superior?

qt and xfce fags stay out

but kde is qt you little noob faggot

I just don't know what to do guys.

I KNOW Gnome, GTK, and Red Hat are all cucked and cancerous. I know they're ruining Linux. I know Gnome is horribly bloated and somehow also devoid of features, and they're removing more and more features and making breaking changes constantly. I know that Gnome apps have a small feature set and implement stupid shit like headerbars.

I know KDE Plasma is supposed to be so much technically superior, that it has so many features, that it has so much customization (even through the GUI), that KWin is an incredibly powerful window manager, that they work with the community and that they use the superior Qt toolkit. I know that KDE apps have a large feature set and conform with standards like normal menu bars.

I know Plasma is supposed to be the best. And yet I keep trying it and just going back to Gnome. What am I supposed to do? Why is this happening? It wasn't supposed to be like this. But Plasma only has like two themes, and Gnome has so many different pretty themes to choose from like Numix and Vertex and countless others. Gnome is just sleek and simple and uncluttered.

I really want something better. I really want to like Plasma. But I just keep going back to Gnome. Why is there nothing else? Am I doomed to live this way? I am a programmer myself. Should I make my own DE? Should I make my own entire suite of apps that integrate and fit into it properly? Help me out here Sup Forums.

whomever wrote this originally should commit -m "suicide"

Have you tried using lattedock? After I got that working I've moved full time to fedora kde. It's freaking fantastic.

I'm using gnome and it's a laggy peace of shit.
Hogs ram too.
I'm too new to Ubuntu to change it tho.

>xfce fags stay out
LXDE than.

I prefer KDE

Only complaint is that it can be buggy

Only Gnome has comfy themes.

>Gnome is just sleek and simple and uncluttered.
main reason why gnome just wins

I change the app list to show open windows, way better.

dwm

KDE
Gnome/Gtk is a gigantic piece of trash

This

>is 2+2 3 or 5?
>4fags stay out

I know that feel. I got bad enough that I went to Mate for a while play eventually came crawling back. I actually like Katie is so much that I'm trying to incorporate it into my i3 rice. unfortunately I'm on Arch in KDE is buggy at times so I somehow got myself a driver bug that bricked to the whole de.

Is that a Mac OS style dock? I came back to KDE after using Mate for about a year. Is this some new feature they added that I'm not aware of or do I have to install it separately?

cinnamon or gnome

kde is for pseudo-macfags with shitty taste. it looks like cheap trash

he uses a DE

>xfce fags stay out
well, objectively xfce is one of the best DE
between KDE and GNOME i's chose KDE, mostly because GNOME is shit

gnome because it has better vsync, vulkan compatibility and performance in gayms.
>inb4 someone posts phoronix benchmarks without context

Budgie

KDE Plasma 5 is the best. Objectively.

This.

>Look! It's literally Gnome, with some shit moved around!

So Gnome without the bloat?

Not even. It's exactly what I said it is, Gnome. So is Cinnamon.

Yet it's the only usable fork of gnome in existence.

KDE. GNOME doesn't even have thumbnails in its filepicker.

Use what you're most productive with.

For me it's KDE with Jazqa's tiling script.

I don't know why that would be so, my GNOME desktop looks and functions almost EXACTLY the same, with a few extensions.It's kinda lame to shit where you eat, user. Budgie is just a slightly tweaked GNOME.

>which is superior? (qt DE) vs (gtk DE)
>qt fags stay out

Serious question. Why the fuck do so many people like those Mac-like docks at the bottom or on the side of the screen? I just don't get it from a space-efficiency point of view. You already have a panel, with plenty of empty space on it. Why not have your running tasks on that same panel?

I set mine to auto-hide, so it really doesn't get in the way.

>with a few extensions

It's on intelligent auto hide

You should make you clock bigger my man you can barely read the time as it is.

No it's Gnome WITH the bloat

gnomeapporxfceapp.jpg

But why not just have it on the existing panel? Then you don't need to auto hide it. You can just see it all the time, and not have it take up any space when you do see it.

It's objectively the best on technical merits, but it just doesn't have the same comfy design that Gnome has.
Where are all the themes?
How do you get rid of the giant oversized scrollbars?
Why do all the programs have such thick borders, big empty spaces, controls just placed around randomly, etc.?

>picture from plasma 5.0
It's 2018 already, post one from the latest version.

Why are the top DE's the worst ones?

Gnome is top because it's made by Red Hat who is backed by the Illuminati.

GNOME

i like their idea of how modern desktop should operate, dropping the reliance on taskbar icons and utilizing activities to manage workspaces and windows. Once you get used to it it's really hard to come back to anything else.

KDE/Plasma is just a copy of windows paradigm, which got stuck in the 90s. An ugly bootleg, filled with hundreds of widgets and toolbars and buttons to make it seem more "advanced". It's like those chinese iphones with TV, radio and dual sim cards. It's better "on paper", but then you open the start menu and try scrolling the list with a mousewheel, and it scrolls one pixel per click, and you realize that it's not.

Havent used kde since late 90's but i did a years subscription with redhat and i was very pleased with gnome. Very, very pleased.

I hide everything, my desktop only shows the wallpaper when there's nothing running. Just bump the side of the screen and everything shows up. It's nice and unobtrusive.

>Red Hat who is backed by the Illuminati.

Oh please, last week it was the jews.
Show proof retard.

>>with a few extensions
Yeah, in fact, I remove/disable most of the pre-installed ones. Let's not try and act like all DE's don't use extensions to customize. I'm currently using 4 extensions, wew, so bloated.

xfce is superior

"Desktop icons are problematic"

for me kde is perfect and can look perfectly cool, the default look is horrible for me
using arc dark in desktop theme and arc in window decoration theme, the rest is the default one

by the way, i cannot make firefox nightly to make use of client side decorations, i go to customize, disable title bar checkbox and nothing happens :1 anyone knows?

sorry i had to censor text

KDE of course

GNOME

>he doesn't know

get a job fuckers

There's more than two DEs, you idiot. Install Xfce4.

>deprecated shit based on GTK for shit and giggles.

arc themes are the ultimate pleb detector

that font contrast alone is enough to discard it as unusable garbage.

Install Xfce4

>Primitive, devoid of features
>Ugly as fuck
>Still uses GTK

It just works and making it look good is just a few clicks away.

It's especially buggy when it comes to alt-tabbing between programs or out of programs.

Also when I change my resolution in Stellaris, it changes my desktop resolution as well, except I can pan to the right and bottom of the screen to see the extra black space from my old resolution.

Bugs like this are what makes KDE suffering.

But it's otherwise better in every single way than guhnoam.

KDE/Plasma were copied by microsoft, they didn't copy microsoft

Show me a seriously good looking Xfce.

It's a separate project but it's well integrated into the desktop. It supports widgets and everything. I really enjoyed it. I dislike the windows ui a lot. Kde was off the table for me until I found out about latte dock.

> not using I3

> KDE vs Gur-nome
KDE clearly wins

I used to have a really nice XFCE setup before I switched to KDE. The key is to pick a decent GTK theme, like Arc-Dark.

CDE

You can change the theme, but that doesn't stop the design of the panels, menus, etc. looking dated and ugly as shit.

Install i3wm

>Also when I change my resolution in Stellaris, it changes my desktop resolution as well, except I can pan to the right and bottom of the screen to see the extra black space from my old resolution.

This is a x11 problem and happens everywhere is there is not something in place to mitigate it.
Some programs go out of their way to stop that happening while others don't.
This is also a big problem with wine too on everything, especially if what you are running crashes and the winedevs are to stubborn to put a workaround in.

The real fix is wayland.

i3 is superior

Honestly I'd prefer XFCE for everything if it weren't for the abysmal hidpi support. Sure I can increase the size of text BUT the buttons and other UI elements still remain tiny.

Minwaita osx dark is p. gud.
Good contrast, well designed default theme but more condensed for real computers instead of touchscreens, and homosexual minimize maximize and close icons for gays (me)
Adapta and related are flatshit cancer

kde. at least it has settings unlike gnome where you cant even change the theme or anything really and the settings that are still there may be gone in the next version.

You shouldn't have to install extensions for a desktop to be usable

>polished and professional DE
>A foot
Really pertubates the pistachios

Fuck off Kevin

>it scrolls one pixel per click
i'm gonna pee from laughing

yo damn right

KDE
Fuck gnome for not having thumbnail file picker.

Illuminati IS the jews.

KDE3 > GNOME2 > Unity > KDE5 > GNOME3 > KDE4

>Gnome is just sleek and simple and uncluttered.
>main reason why gnome just wins
Can't clutter a perfect desktop environment with a proper filer picker, no sir.

I use Ubuntu

GNOME memory usage is 2 GiB.
Plasma memory usage is maybe 500 MiB.
Do the math.

unironically deepin

>KDE vs GNOME
>qt fags gtfo
I see you're using GNOME, I'm on KDE myself. I know this desktop environment should be better, but you what they say, old habits die hard.

>kde or gnome
>qt fags out

If you were using xfce(or openbox or w/e) and learned to customize every aspect of your DE instead of using and promoting shitty bloating products who force things in your mouth and without a reason you wouldn't come up with such a retarded post.

As of the post, If it was last year I would have said gnome, as of now is someone points a gun at me and tells me to choose I'd probably take my chances, uninstall the display server and choose bash.

Use cinnamon or prepare you anus for the KDE/Gnome raping.

Plasma.

it's been like that for a while, and i suppose people who notice this kind of stuff don't report it because they just instantly leave, since KDE is full of stuff like that. It's basically an ultimate ocd trigger tool, disguised as a DE.

i just stick to default adwaita

at least it's guaranteed to not ever break or misbehave

>2 GiB.
1) I use cinnamon
2) I have 32 GiB
I don't give a shit about 2GiB I want my thumbnails and my productivity out of the box.

You are quickly turning into the
>-b-b-b-b-b KDE only uses 1MiB or RAM while GNOME uses 5MiB or RAM
Guy.

Help guyse, I really, really like KDE5, but kwin's compositing makes me wanna kms. I have to run KWIN_COMPOSITING=O2ESkwin_x11 --replace with every time I do startkde with compositing, because the screen freezes and won't display any changes made to windows and shit, only the cursor works.
Even then, compositing makes most of the plasma stuff such as widgets or the application menu laggy as hell.
What do, Sup Forums

thats because it has no features

reporting bugs isnt easy for the average user. you need to register on their bugtracker and find the documentation about what autistic formatting they use so they dont just ignore you and know how to debug shit and make patches that only a programmer can know.