/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Prev: Archfag edition

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/841785/libgl-error-for-matlab
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221
ix.io/DKi
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html
github.com/icy/pacapt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tried to come back to GNU/Linux
>tried to run Matlab
>full of random errors and weird stuff going on
>tried to install Ansys Eletromagnetics Suit
>it doesn't work
I still dream on the day that I'll actually be able to work on GNU/Linux, but I fear it will never come.

Yes this is some bullshit that I also had on matlab. You have to delete two libraries from matlab folder and link some system libraries to replace them.

This is what I did I think.
askubuntu.com/questions/841785/libgl-error-for-matlab

>install rhel 7
>try to install prereqs to compile mpv
>install centos repos
>get a conflict
>uninstall a package
>it uninstalls like 600 other packages and breaks everything
Well it’s been a while since I’ve done anything in Linux
My last distro watch crunchbang, should I just install Debian or arch

/k/ fag here, Linux Mint 18.3 or Ubuntu 17.10?
>Inb4 install gentoo

I have a AMD cpu, my linux is not affected like intel right?

Try both with a live usb. They're the same under the hood anyway.

So I did some benchmarks before/after the KPTI fix, these were my results:

Before:
avg 2.477021s to read 250x2.0mb files
avg 2.515864s to read 1x500.0mb file
avg 0.670239s to create 100000 sockets that each send 1000 bytes

After:
avg 2.498508s to read 250x2.0mb files
avg 2.536580s to read 1x500.0mb file
avg 0.726333s to create 100000 sockets that each send 1000 bytes

Seems pretty negligable. I dunno if I even tested the right things but whatever, it was fun. I ran each test 500 times and averaged the results to get the above.

i accidentally shut off my host when i had my vm running and my host has been acting odd ever since
when i shut down my linux host after shutting down the vm, it will show a cli i cant interact with then hang indefinitely. It does this inconsistently even though my routine with the computer is the same every day. it shuts down successfully about 20% of the time. Any idea how to make it shut down normally?

>TFW got my USB WiFi and can finally use GNU Linux-libre and be free

pacman -Q xorg-server mesa
xorg-server 1.19.6-2
mesa 17.3.1-2
firefox 57.0.4
>openbox
>no compton
>no radeon configs
>smooth scroll is on
>no tearing
what is this sorcery

no

>fixed fonts for arch
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221
since it's arch edition

>proprietary nvidia driver breaks yet again with linux kernel security patch
is this ever going to be addressed

>it uninstalls like 600 other packages and breaks everything

Why do RPM based distros do this? I haven't seen this happen on others.

I went through the font copypasta and enabled bitmap fonts, but I still can't get terminus or tewi to work. Can I get a retards guide to getting them to appear in fc-match?

>dont have jewtel so i dont have to update my kernel and break all my shit
feels superior, man

What programs can I use to test how well a hard drive I have is working?

Is it possible to install Firefox 52 ESR on Linux in place of that garbage Firefox Quantum without breaking something?

Can't I just uninstall Firefox Quantum? And replace it with the ESR version?

Why would you think it works any other way but that way?

well I once read something about avoiding messing with default programs in linux distros cuz if you mess around and uninstall stuff, you might break things. something about dependency, I can't remember

How do I get scrot selection to work with XFCE keyboard shortcuts?

Click the box, press your combo

if you use your package manager to uninstall it then you probably wont fuck something up

Doesn't work, look at the picture. Just scrot works fine, but scrot -s does nothing

#
gnome disk or whatever the name was

#
duno looks fine to me desu
>ls .config/fontconfig/conf.d/
ix.io/DKi

grep termi .config/fontconfig/conf.d/*
.config/fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin-misc.conf:397: Terminus (TTF)

there's more terminus in conf.avail
all from bohoomil's github

#
you can have any version of FF and you don't have to use your distro
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

install gentoo

>voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html
Why does it always come to this?

How do we fix this, fellow GNU/Linux users?

Complaining to wikipedia editors.

Can you guys give me a round up to cross compilation? I want to port a distro an SBC and need some steps to build and test it in QEMU.

I'm trying to get better/more efficient at installing Arch, how do you rate my notes?

Does anyone know some way to change the border color on vanilla i3? (Not i3-gaps)

Stallman shouldn't be mad, it's GPLv3+

Looking good, for what I remember of Arch installation. Have you tried write it on markdown and upload it to some git repository? I did that with one guide and looks pretty.

useless caps/10

:-(

no actually, what would i gain by doing this?

>no dmcrypt
>swap partition instead of swap file
>manual partitioning instead of lvm
>installing for bios instead of efi uefi

Uefi is literal cancer

If you ever want to extend by adding stuff like links, pictures or just pretty printing is gonna be handy. Ignore if you just want a list of commands for your personal script you won't share anyway.

Serious question here, please no memeing.

I have been using linux for quite some time already and i guess i am somewhat proficient with it.
My current setup is Debian with i3 with quite a lot of custom system scripts. Terminal is my new home and i use it a lot.
Should i go up and try Gentoo for better linux zen? How well will it go in a long run?
Is it worth spending the time?

Coreboot supports UEFI now.

Trump could support uefi and it still would be cancer.

If you have some free time to spend, try it out on a VM, it can't hurt you.
If it turns out you like it after a week or so, you can consider switching to Gentoo completely, otherwise stay with Debian.
In the end, it will be worth spending time with it regardless: if you like it, you will have found a better distribution for you, otherwise, you will simply realize that extreme autism is just not your taste and stop wondering.
Try it out and decide for yourself, user.

ah right, cheers!

Is it possible to switch from apt to pacman on Debian?

Asking for a friend.

lol

So how would you change it, mate?

github.com/icy/pacapt
Maybe this helps

Any wikipedian with enough rep here who wants to tackle this?
I'm still reading through the old discussions, but so far it's been mostly shit from both sides. I'm positive I can come up with way better arguments for the move.
Alas, I don't even have a Wikipedia account and my dynamic IP address would carry zero weight on this discussion.

Should it redirect to the GNU page then? I vote for a disambiguation page.

It's been a while since I used Arch but can't you use pacstrap instead of pacman to install those packages?

here's your efficiency. For the partitioning at least.
umask 077
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

print_line () {
printf '\033[36;7m%*s\n\033[36' "${COLUMNS:-$(tput cols)}" '' | tr ' ' \#
}

reset_changes () {
if [[ -n $(pvdisplay) ]]; then
if [[ -n $(vgdisplay) ]]; then
vgremove "$VGNAME" --force
fi
pvremove --force "$PVOL"
fi
cat /dev/null

timedatectl set-ntp 1

sed -e 's/\s*\([\+0-9a-zA-Z]*\).*/\1/' /dev/null
o # dos disk label
n # new part
p # primary part
1 # 1 of 4
# default start
+100M # ends 100M from start
a # set boot on 1
n # new part
p # primary
2 # 2 of 4
# default starts where 1 ends
# default ends 100%
t # change partition type
2 # on part 2
8e # to 'Linux LVM'
w # write and quit
EOF

PVOL=/dev/sda2
VGNAME='a_vg'
{ pvcreate "$PVOL" -y
vgcreate "$VGNAME" "$PVOL" -y

lvcreate --size 8G --name 'root' "$VGNAME" -y
blkpath="/dev/mapper/${VGNAME}-root"
mkfs.ext4 "$blkpath"
mount "$blkpath" /mnt
for blkname in 'tmp' 'opt' 'home' 'boot'; do
if [[ $blkname = 'boot' ]]; then
blkpath=dev/sda1
mkfs.ext2 "$blkpath"
mkdir -p "/mnt/${blkname}"
mount "$blkpath" "/mnt/${blkname}"
else
lvcreate --size 1G --name "$blkname" "$VGNAME" -y
blkpath="/dev/mapper/${VGNAME}-${blkname}"
mkfs.ext4 "$blkpath"
mkdir -p "/mnt/${blkname}"
mount "$blkpath" "/mnt/${blkname}"
done
} &> ./logfile

lsblk

This is trash layout

BIOS is old as dicks nigga..
What kinda backwards ass reality do you live in where you wouldn't want to be able to sign your own kernels to use with secure boot?

how so?

I've been messing with different distros in a virtual machine. Is there a benefit to installing them on an actual computer versus in a virtual machine?
I've got an old laptop with no os laying around I could experiment with.

> else
lvcreate --size 1G --name "$blkname" "$VGNAME" -y

gonna re-post my question from last thread:
I'm sort of at a crossways between installing Gentoo or Denuvian. I want a non-systd distro that is stable, and whilst I hear that Gentoo is stable, I get the impression it's high maintainance.

>Denuvian

Also, that's not a question.

I wrote this like 2 years ago with a very specific lvm scheme in mind.

>very specific lvm scheme in mind
It's trash

for just fucking around with distros? no, not really

can't please everybody

So I've been trying to install arch on my laptop with Windows 10 off of a bootable usb stick and every time I boot the installer it just puts my computer into some sleep mode instantly.

I've successfully installed it on VMs on 2 different computers, including the one I'm trying to dual boot on now, but every time I boot off the usb stick I get the initial options ("Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI CD", "UEFI Shell x86_64 v1", etc) but selecting the 1st one only brings up 3 small lines of code in the top left that flash for a second before the sleep mode. I previously fixed an error it would display before the sleep mode by turning TPM off, but I'm really at a loss of what's causing this. Any suggestions?

What's the simplest way to encrypt your hard drive on an existing Arch installation?

wtf. why not use sfdisk? wtf are you doing? also

also you're missing the fi to terminate your if. if you insist on using fdisk wrong , at least use cut to remove your comments or even awk -- '{ print $1 }'

oh yeah, well what I meant to say, is like, is that true, and is the maintainace really worth it?

None

sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda

you use cryptsetup. if you mean in-place, rip.
It's trivial to add to /etc/crypttab (and your systemd will generate your device unit files for it) and you could even use keyfiles if you have multiple devices you need to setup.

>> using fdisk wrong
what do you mean?
all other criticisms refer to

sfdisk is intended for scripted use. but i guess it really doesn't matter.

I hope your /dev/random is actually just a urandom character device because wtf.

actually didn't know that.
probably would be a bit more readable than a heredoc

Thanks, I meant

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

kek

>USB WiFi
What did he mean by this?

Anyone? I'm about ready to behead my computer from this shit

Perhaps you have to disable secure boot, have you tried that?

Both secure and fast boot were disabled before I started trying. I also tried reenabling secure boot but it just gave me an error when I booted up the arch usb

Is anyone here a deadbeef wizard, or know shell scfipting? I name my music files in the format

artist - title

and often download lots of stuff from soundcloud since the artists aren't big enough to be found on soulseek. So the files have no tags. In FB2k I used to be able to batch tag using a simple command that read my filenames, no luck in deadbeef. Am I missing something or is there a way to batch tag like this in deadbeef? There's an option to use custom shell commands but I don't know anything about shell scripting.

USB WiFi adapter, I guess.

easytag

Hmm.. If you can't figure it out maybe post on /r/archlinux or something.

install gentoo

Use ubuntu btw, be sure to upgrade to 18.04 in May so you don't have to worry about upgrading again for 4 years.

Looking for a new distribution. I've been using Ubuntu for 3 years and need something better + less cucked. Recommendations?

-devuan is outdated, as it's based on debian jessie but has all the pros of debian
-gentoo is a pain to set up (you have to do it once) and upgrading packages can take some time depending on which package is updated (shit like fonts and perl extras are done within seconds, a new qt metapackage can take an hour). If you are willing to sacrifice this time, you will get one of the best distros.

You might want to check out AntiX: it's another memed-less Debian fork (not based on Devuan).

GuixSD

lol I've tricked so many people into using this too :o)

Does Artix LXQt provide FDE in the installer?
I've installed the base ISO of ArtiX but the documentation is not that great

Not the guy who you originally replied to, but thanks for bringing up AntiX.
As someone who has been sitting on Debian, wanting to move away from systemd, but with Devuan being as outdated as it is I've been hesitant to make the move from my familiar Debian workflow, AntiX looks like everything I could've ever wanted. Will definitely be giving it a try soon.

The only problem that I've with it is that it doesn't not have an option for FDE or for /home encryption

Can't you just do home encryption after install?

Yes, I was mostly just nitpicking.
I like both antiX and MX Linux projects, as solid distros with OpenRC.

How do you make Hulu work in chrome?
I find it so fucking hard to fully install javascript on chrome, it never works fully.

how do i disable the click both left and right mouse buttons on mint even though the option to disable it isnt in the settings?

I tried to install KDE neon on a separate HDD from my Windows 7, and for some reason it won't boot! It only gives some error message about some grub thing when I set the second HDD as the first one in the BIOS. When I switch back to normal, Windows 7 boots normally.

So..... now what?

1. download supergrub2
2. make a bootable usb drive using it
3. boot from that USB
4. boot kde neon using supergrup, it should auto detect your installation if it is fine otherwise
5. from KDE neon open a terminal and reinstall and regenerate grub
grub-isntall /dev/sdX
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub.cfg

replace sdX with the drive you want to install grub on

Reminder:
>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>(arch v gentoo related) arch users complain about 'muh compile time' when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *- git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you need to install a shitton of GUI stuff which you'll never need nor use
>arch users pride themselves in installing arch and learning so much about how linux works under the hood, yet the install is literally copypasting a bunch of commands, usually without proper explanation
>e.g. to chroot into the new install, you use arch-chroot, which automatically bind-mounts procfs, devfs and sysfs, but nowhere on the guide does it say that that's a very important step, so should archfags ever need to fix their system via chrooting from a livecd that doesn't have arch-chroot, they'd be fucked
>the kernel is auto-configured in a just werks way (basically make allyesconfig), which is unnecessary bloat and for such a diy distro, configuring the kernel yourself should be the official way of doing it
>arch cannot boot without an initramfs per default

Thank you!

What games you guys play on your machine?

I play: battlerite, tabletop sim, league, hots.

Curious on what you nig/g/ers played as well, since I can't find myself playing more than 1 hour a day due to work and my constant fear that if I don't practice common system admin/programming things I would be out of the looperoo.