/tpg/ - ThinkPad General thread

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Elitebook 2570p/2760p/8570w, Latitude E6440/E6430, IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
Elitebook 2570p - 12", 768p, quad core 45W CPU with desktop-class performance, 12Gbps RAID0 ability, expansion bay (2nd HDD)
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

biosimage.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=57
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Dell & Lenovo >>>>>>>> HP

>tfw you run your finger around the softrim trackpoint

Lenovo is complete and utter fucking garbage, slowly but surely removing every feature about thinkpads that made them good laptops in the first place

Why not the 540 over the 520? Just the keyboard and trackpad?

asking again, as an autist, can a X61 run Windows 2000?

Do you mean the brown rectangles?

>2570p in OP
DELET
E
L
E
T
even if it's an ok lappie.

I have an IBM Thinkpad a20m without a power supply. How can i make a DIY one without hurting myself or burning down my house or if i can't where can i found one for cheap???

Yes it can

same place you get other Thinkpad parts: Ebay.

Those and the form factor. The T440p is the only laptop of the **40 line to have the old body style, whereas all the others have the new, lower-quality body style.

the same fucking shitpost
every fucking thread
softrim is shit, original or bust.

sounds good, I want something to run win2k on. Unless you have a better reccomendation I'm going for it.

My only issue with the 440p is the ULV processor with no choice for a true quad core.

Thinkpad X60 because it can be libre booted

How much disk space do you have, anons, in your thinkpads?

got a thinkpad p70 lads.

Can someone give me some non-shit wallpapers that actually look good on a 17 inch screen.

So I got the x230 recently put Fedora on it and noticed the trackpoint is kinda choppier compared to the trackpad, anyway to get it smoother?

can it be anime?

How could I get hdaps and x60 volume keys to work with Mint?

shill me some thinkpad for matlab and programming in general and a movie from time to time
would be x201 be sufficient?
i live in shit country so the notebooks are not so cheap

That'd be the T440/s. My T440p has a i5-4300M and you can upgrade to a true quad core starting with the i7-4700MQ.

I might get the T61 or T60 anyways because I want the better cooling (Penyrn)

80 GB SSD

>get new screen for my t440
>backlight turns on but no picture
what the fuck did i do wrong

forgot to add, it is not needed to be a thinkpad
i also looked at 2570p and i like it too
thanks Sup Forumsuys

Yeah it would but i would go with a X200 or X220 because more people have them (= more support) and the x200 can be libre booted and the x220 can soon be libre booted

I need a highly portable laptop, something small, but still have a keyboard that is actually usable (by usable I mean bigger than GPD WIN) Any recommendations?

Just but an X200 or X220 or any other x series for that matter

(or if you are a rich user that don't care about keyboard or trackpoint buy the new Dell XPS)

forgot pic

OF COURSE! As long as it looks good and HD quality.

Thanks, they look great.

X220 or x230.
I have an x230 and im happy with it.

x230 has the newer keyboard style which I don't like.

But it can be replaced with the good keyboard

but I'm not gonna do any retarded mods

256GB SSD in my T410, 512 GB NVMe SSD in my P40.

which does /tpg/ think is worse? Sticking with an old ThinkPad and being vulnerable to Meltdown and Specter or getting a new business machine and have their anus spread open by management engine?

The new X Series Laptops are thinner by removing the ability to easily swap batteries. The ThinkPad line is slowly turning into overpriced consumer machines with magnesium cages. At least a Latitude will have a nice IPS display and the 14in Latitudes have a numpad as a function layer. Why Lenovo removes extra key bindings under function layers is beyond me.

Between this and Specter I don't think I can really buy an old ThinkPad in confidence and live the meme. I was hoping to get a new laptop this year but I'll have to either grit and bear it with my Inspiron and hope it doesn't crumble to dust or gamble with a consumer machine running a Ryzen. I don't think I like either option.

Hey, pre-haslel thinkfags.
Are you enjoying your lack of INVPCID instructions? Because spectre vulnerability will for sure RAPE your performance. :^)

dude the 440/440s have the shitty soldered dual core ulv, the 440p doesn't

An older x Series Thinkpad or a newer Dell (XPS, Latitude, ETC.)

if only I had money for a newer dell

X230 has USB 3. The keyboard is ok. But get an IPS screen.

and replace keyboard with non chicklet

But my X61t has a clean unupdated W7 sp1 install, it can get raped by anything.

t. Domelet

Then don't buy an X230

And I won't

Good

Just great

I've got a T530 for basically free, it came with the garbage FHD panel they used when they good ones were out of stock. What would be a good replacement for it?

my trackpoint cracked from me pressing it too much. where can i get an original replacement

Just get some of eBay they are just as good i got 10 for like 2 $

ebay

does anyone else have a wierd noise coming from their CPU? it's like a scratching or whining noise (not the CPU fan)
on some webpages it makes the noise only when I scroll the page
when I load up a game it makes the noise constantly
it's driving me crazy
it happens on my T420 and X220T

Are you serious man? I mean, I'm currently using a T7700 on my T61p and it runs well on Linux, but because of that bug I got too much scared of updating my OS.

Whoever has been making the OP the last few weeks have been a fucking neurotic pseudointellectual. Retarded fucking info.

>The pointing stick in the market, TrackPoint. Great for those who want to spend less time taking their hand off the keyboard to navigate with a touchpad or mouse. Stays near homerow for good hand posture on the go.
ftfy

Your recommended laptops are garbage

X230 > E6320 > 2012 MBA i7 > 2570p
No one is going to bother modding a T420 unless they are Sup Forums false dreamer
T430 > 8470p > E6430
8760W > M6700 > W520
Why I recommended 17" laptops in place of the W-Series? The W520 is a shit desktop replacement in 2018 compared to these models.
Have fun with a soldiered GPU, the Dell and HP can at least be upgraded with bios mods.

Technically the W541 was the last ThinkPad to have a replaceable CPU.

P series have nothing to bring in regard to old build quality. Quite a bit P systems are sent with quality control problems.
When they first came out, the P-Series was criticized for having same specs as HP & Dell competitors but at a higher price.

Oh yeah
>no links to my website
The fuck, I need these clicks for people to mine Monero for me.

Yes... i'm serious. If your t61p is connected to the internet and you use web browser you definitely have to update.

link to webside?

Yes, rare. Nobody ever takes the stickers off straight away, so almost all Thinkpads, when you finally do take it off, will have that stupid birthmark.

WinFLP?

Ah shit. Well, thanks anyway user for the piece of advice.

I was talking hardware

>tfw father's work has over 200 T420s and X220s in storage that theyre just getting rid of
>tfw I can have all of them
>for free

>got all these thinkpads
>doesn't update what they did with them
How long will this meme last.

:^)

i wonder if the whole intel bug will help drop prices of used machines?

It's easy as hell to do and is a fun an engaging experience if you ask me.

It's sad you browse a technology board but aren't actually interested in technology.

If anything top execs and IT peeps of companies will look at this Intel bug and not want to turn back. They'll buy AMD or (((not at risk))) Intel hardware and get rid of the old.

However I'm not going to count on a flood of intel equipment hitting the used/scrap market anytime soon. Unless some big companies announce they are getting rid of intel and it catches on to other companies.

Can i change the keyboard on other laptops than thinkpads eg. Dell latitudes to use the good (before chicklet) keyboard ?

Can i change the keyboard on other laptops than thinkpads eg. Dell latitudes to use the good (before chicklet) thinkpad keyboard ? *

I don't know that other laptops have the devotion and following required to make it happen.
Plus, it's kind of a lucky accident that the Thinkpad '20 and '30 keyboards have the same mounting.

T470 for $890 good price?

SPECS:
i7-7600u
8GB DDR4 2144Mhz
512GB SSD
14" TOUCHSCREEN
LENOVO DOCK
3YR FULL CORP WARRANTY

Worth it or nay?

Recommendations needed for a Thinkpad

>cheap/old
>safe, no intel bullcrap
>Internet Access
>only enough power for command line and BBS
>optional: low power consumption

go away

X60.

It got the Intel-stuff on it though, doesn’t it?

it's a core 2 duo, so it isn't affected

I wish I could find a decently priced X230 with i7 in any condition to replace my current X230 with a busted mini DisplayPort. The display cover could be in a better condition too.

I'd just switch the parts to get the best combination of both and flip the shitty one.

It's either Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, presumably not affected or rigged. But if you can't trust it, you can install CoreBoot or LibreBoot to bypass any Intel shenanigans in your computer.

You have to flash your BIOS for this. Thankfully, on the X60 and T60 you don't need to mess with hardware, it's all done through software.

alright then. Thank you.

I want someone to pill me, are T430 fucked because the Intel meltdown?

I have heard about support for ivy but I'm not sure

>trough software
Even better.

T470 for $890 good price?

SPECS:
i7-7600u
8GB DDR4 2144Mhz
512GB SSD
14" TOUCHSCREEN
LENOVO DOCK
3YR FULL CORP WARRANTY

Worth it or nay?

aesthetic

Yo o7, I just made a bios splash screen.
For anyone interested:

biosimage.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=57

I like my ThinkPad like I like my women.

11 years old.

Honestly a good price.

>A noise which is described by motion coming from the CPU
Do you even know how a computer works, user?

Are you sure Core 2 Duo processors are not affected? I've got an X60 and a T60 which I've been scared to update with the KPTI patches for GNU/Linux.

It's a great machine. One of the best Thinkpads ever made along with the T60.

yeah I'm fairly certain that anything that is lower than 4th gen core duo is not affected

yeah I know it's not the fan, I tried it with the fan unplugged and it still was there

>t460p
>i5-6440HQ
>8GB RAM
>500 HDD
>1080p non-touch
>no dGPU because I have a desktop
>$1079 AUD ($850 USD)
I'll replace the HDD with an SSD, maybe chuck in another 8GB of RAM down the line.
yay/nay?

It's all very confusing. I've seen lists where Core 2 Duos are supposedly not affected, but then I've seen many claims that all Intel processors except the Itanium and Atoms from a certain period are affected. What is your source?

What thinkpad line is the last one to not have affected CPU’s? The T400/500 and X200?

coil whine? I don't know man just clean it out or something

So your guess is that the CPU is somehow moving? Do you understand how a CPU works?