I just started a new job as a software engineer. My corporation is making me us a MacBook pro they provide...

I just started a new job as a software engineer. My corporation is making me us a MacBook pro they provide. What do I need to know? I've only ever used Windows and Linux desktops.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xHZIzcZmz1k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's easy and just werks. You'll be fine.

Use lube.

The track pad doesn't even has right click. This is abysmal. Why can't I just delete things with the delete key? What autist designed this?

Buy life insurance.

The trackpad has a right click, you just need to press it with two fingers on it.
to delete a word just press alt + backspace.

>it just werkz!!!!!
>just do all this counter intuitive bullshit to make up for the lack of basic buttons

Stay mad bro

You could call it intuitive if all you did was browse the web, like most mac users.

>I might be retarded, but at least I have a Mac!

Words cannot describe how miserably fucking clunky OSX is for the end user. I've used it plenty on a Macbook and iMac that I used to use for audio and video editing, and have nothing to say about the UI other than it sucks for anything more than light web browsing. Anybody who says it's "intuitive" or "streamlined" is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome after having been held hostage by their buyer's regret for so damn long. The interface hasn't evolved past the days of only running one or two programs at once, and it makes so little sense that trying to talk even a regular user of OSX (including people who rave about how it's "so much more streamlined") through something that would take seconds on another OS is like pulling teeth.

CoreAudio is great. The integration with Apple's other products is great. The interface is just so bad that it completely negates any upsides of using a Mac.

Cool but i disagree with you

It is easy to use. You just click on the dock to select your favorite applications. On Mac OS, this is how you install many of the applications: You click and drag the application into your application folder. It runs like any other operating system, but you have a menu bar on top. It is very comfy.

>doesn't even has right click.
Tap with two fingers. Prollem solved, buddy.
>why can't I just delete things with the delete key
alt-backspace

Mactoddlers have defended this.

It's really not even that counter-intuitive. It's only counter-intuitive if you've only been using one single OS that doesn't work that way.
Tapping with two fingers isn't hard and even most high-end Windows laptops use it. Even fucking Chromebooks use it.
Alt backspace is just as easy

>On Mac OS, this is how you install many of the applications: You click and drag the application into your application folder.
O-oh my...

It basically works the same as a Linux DE.

Or you can do it all from the terminal with a package manager like Homebrew

whats wrong with this? a windows installer is just copying the files to their folder location in program files, same basic thing

What is wrong with easily installing an application? If you want to uninstall, you just put the application in the trash. Some applications can be installed with a traditional installer or you can install home-brew (package manager). To install from the terminal you type brew install package name here. You can also download programs from the App Store. There are many ways you can install a program on Mac OS. The same applies to various GNU/Linux distros.

congrats you are now a homosex.

Find normal job or use normal laptop.
Just go to boss and say, that MacBook limits my productivity very hard and I want to use my Chinkbook, because I'm more comfy with it.

Fuck around on System Preferences (Click on the Apple logo on the upper left corner, is the second option) to learn about gestures and shit like that, the system is Linux but good
Install Homebrew and screenfetch so you can post rainbow pictures on Sup Forums

>The system is Linux but good
It uses Darwin which is a BSD operating system
Mac OS is basically a highly modified BSD, but easy to use and user friendly. It would probably be easy to port BSD applications to Mac OS.

Nothing was wrong with it. I was implying sexual arousal. I hate Windows wizards.

>mac os
>maximize window
>it's not maximized to use the whole screen
why do they do this?

They changed it in sierra, I have no idea why.
Drives me fucking nuts, I just want my old green button back.

It's literally linux lite

you'll be fine

It takes some time because it can get really confusing installing or uninstalling something.

> replying to the "mactoddlers" autist

that guy samefags at least 5 times in every thread he shits in, he's probably half the anti-Mac replies in this thread.

Sell it.

It's still there. Hold alt and the plus reappears

What is not intuitive in clicking tha pad with two fingers???
You are just not used to it and that's all.
Also you can do it easily while using one hand on trackpad not two.
It's clearly better.
pic unrelated

Install Homebrew. It is a package manager for macOS. use it for installing everything.

Pretend alt-right nazis bashed your for being gay and stole it, then sell it, and demand a PC laptop because you don't feel safe.

This. OSX GUI is a mess.

Try to scroll down, screen goes up.
Are Macs just being retarded so they are different?

Applications don't necessarily close when you have closed the last window. Some do, some don't.

CMD + ~ to switch between the windows of the currently open application, CMD +Tab to switch between open applications.

CMD is somewhat like ctrl on Windows - shortcuts like copy and paste are CMD + C and CMD + V respectively. But ctrl+c is still used for killing a terminal command and so on.

It's got Unix core utils but they are all old. I suggest installing the Homebrew package manager, so you can install gnu utils like grep e.g. "brew install coreutils'

Oh and the "kill the whole application" shortcut is CMD + Q. Killing tabs or Windows is CMD + W.
The universal application Preferences/settings shortcut is CMD + ,

I recommend disabling Reverse scrolling (it's iPad like dumb crap) and FN keys by default.

The OpenGL drivers are hot trash so good luck with any hardware acceleration.

Do you have examples?
Personally I hate windows ui.

>every fucking mouse has a left and right button
>what's so unintuitive about not being like everything else!
Why not just have the right click enabled by default instead of forcing these cutsy motions?

>not wanting to use interpretative dance to bring up Properties menu
its almost like you a straight cismale

I just want to control my computer with my anus like any civilized person would. When will apple come out with their new dildo gesture dongle so my life can finally be complete?

It's not fair.

brah install antergos

youtube.com/watch?v=xHZIzcZmz1k

be aware apple doesn't trust users not to accidentally press the capslock key so if you press it too fast it wont activate

OP here, this is one of the first things I fixed. Also, when I scroll with my mouse I have to scroll for about half a second before it actually starts to scroll, I can't make any really sensitive scrolls without the keyboard or grabbing the slider. It's not the sensitivity, I tried that. The mouse works fine on Windows.

That's good design.

they just werk, mac OS is the superior os, but you could install any other os.

Window management on this POS is abysmal. Why is there no shortcut for full screen? Why can't I use a keyboard shortcut to move a window to one half or a quarter of the screen? How the hell is anyone supposed to use these for productivity?

This is a company laptop, I can't just wipe the OS.

That may actually be nice while I get used to the keyboard.

keyboard, that's so '70s.

If you stick to the terminal for most of your work, your GNU/Linux knowledge should keep you comfortable. Both emacs and vim are there out of the box, as are ssh and man pages.

I tried to type reeeeeeeeee, but holding down the e key just gave me options for es with accent marks. Just kill me now.

I agree, but Windows has poor UI as well. Minimal window managers are the only things that feel like a step in the right direction. Every major DE is the same crap. Start menus and desktop icons were a mistake. You shouldn't maximize everything. Tiling is important. Keyboard shortcuts are important.

It's a two finger tap by default, but you can change it to be a click on the bottom right corner.
Are pajeets this delusional? Do they still think that you can't customize macOS?

Spectacle does exactly this. It's awesome.

>muh boogeyman
lmao

Hackintosh. Set up a triple boot. Saves them money, helps you work in a more comfortable environemtn.

plébïan. but you could change that in settings.

Who the fuck uses fullscreen outside of movies/games?

You can enable right click.

You don't need to know anything
They literally made those things to be used by idiots

#JustMactoddlerThings

I just installed it. Why the autists at the fruit corporation didn't include this as a basic feature I don't know... but you are awesome! Thank you.

When I don't have my monitors plugged in I want to full screen stuff. Also, there is nothing built in to make managing windows easy. I just had to install a 3rd party piece of software so I would have a basic functionality Windows has had for over a decade.

Ya, if you're only web browsing and doing nothing else.

>When I don't have my monitors plugged in I want to full screen stuff.
Why?

First time i installed something thought i did it wrong cuz it was so simple kek

>using a mac for anything besides facebook
You're using it wrong.

The track pad has right click. You just have to get used to it. By default right clicking is with two fingers, just think of holding a mouse, where'd you lay down both your fingers on it (index on left, middle/ring on right) and then press down with any of your fingers. You can however enable the option to press down in the lower right corner of the trackpad to right click, but that would limit you to where you can right click on the track pad. Deleting things depends on what you want to delete. If you're talking about a file, then you use the keyboard shortcut command + backspace. Since Mac keyboards don't have an actual delete key (since this isn't used that much and can be replaced by actions with the backspace key, because bacspace kind of "deletes" things too, you wouldn't want two keys for one action anyways). If you want to delete characters behind the cursor, you can use control + d (the d stands for delete). Text manipulation is actually rather clever in macOS since it's uniform across any text input fields and has a consistent logic behind it. You can move one character with the arrow keys, if you want to move a full word left or right, use the arrow key while holding down alt (which is called option in macOS). If you combine alt with up or down you skip or go back to the beginning of the paragraph. Use command + left or right and you go to the beginning or end of your line. Use up or down with command and you go to the beginning or the end of the document. You can combine all of these with shift to select the text instead of just moving the text cursor. You can even use backspace instead of the arrow keys to remove the text. Bonus tip, there's also uniform methods to select multiple items in lists, file selectors, folders, etc using shift, command, etc. extra bonus tip: there's even window resizing methods that are uniform with image editing controls using shift, alt, etc.

>why is there no shortcut to bring any application to fullscreen
There is. Most apps use command + control + f.
>Resize windows to 1/4th of the screen
There's some apps that do this for you. However there's a side by side function built in, hold down the green window control button and move the window to the left or right.

It's basically Linux with a good DE. Just live in the command line and use brew when you need to.

>single-button pointing device
Cmd-click still works

Use cmd+` to switch between windows from the same app

There is actually some guy who gets extremely angry and starts ranting about MacToddlers/iToddlers in any thread related to Apple. Lmao.

Even in this thread where OP was forced to use Apple. What is wrong with the guy, lol

You have bash
Figure out your keyboard shortcuts
Spotlight is good
That's about it. Enjoy your nice monitor, keyboard, and trackpad.

what the fuck hahaha why did you type all this shit? you could have at least made it more readable by using some r*ddit spacing.

I use this in every OS. I didn't know there were people unfamiliar with it. I mean my mom doesn't know about it, but surely Sup Forums knows more about touch devices, right?

If you can't use a Mac, you don't know how to use Linux, and if you're a software engineer that's embarrassing, please stop.

This, OP

>he's never used two fingers

virgin detected

>If you can't use a special snowflake toddlerOS, you don't know how to use Linux
kys mactoddler

Two fingers is overrated. Three fingers is where it's at.

>having to use the mouse to resize Windows

What a pleb tier OS

>having sex with women
What a faggot

Is this real? how would anyone not look at the graph properly?

You should have an intro document that guides you on how to setup your environment for work with everything you might need.

If not, your company's documentation sucks already.

>he thought it was a meme
Mate, look how bad fucking today's proprietary software is from what it was a decade ago.
Bloated and dysfunctional nearly to the point of not being worth it.
Apple and MS need to realise this might blow their ass off.

>not using a thinkpad clit instead
Though mine get's stuck so I just use a normal mouse.

I used to do high level raiding on a MBP touchpad back in college. I hated the OS and the rest of that shitty nut-roaster, but that touchpad was fucking magical.

I went back to macOS after leaving Sierra for a while. Now I'm on High Sierra. I don't know why but scrolling seems a little bit laggier than I remember. Like come the fuck on now I don't know if I really want to go back to Sierra specially now with the Spectre and Meltdown shit.

Got first macbook pro 1 year ago. Use it to get to know apple universum.
Used win 95 to win 10 & vraious linux distros before.
I really like the overall build quality and the highly responsive touchpad.
The OS & native programs as mail, cal, etc. on the other hand look outdated. I like the gestures but MacOS literally has the worst windowmanagmant I've ever seen. It drives me fucking nuts. Lukily there are programs to make it work like win 10 & linux (talking about window preview, window minimizing by clicking icon, window snapping to corner or side).

People who have issues using macOS are definitely retarded. I am a low IQ person that is not too tech savvy, I can deal with Arch fine on my laptop, I can deal with macOS on a daily basis without much trouble either, and also Windows. What the fuck are you guys doing that it's so "complicated" to adapt to a few functions? Can't learn a few keyboard shortcuts? Seriously?

Like for real now you can take the time to learn how to put that animay girl on the desktop with those tiled windows with padding and stupid terminal applications that do the exact fucking same thing as anything with a GUI and you can't learn how to show or hide files on fucking Finder. You're pathetic.

I would say that if BetterTouchTool didn't exist I'd probably not like it as much, but since it does, yeah, swiping with 3 fingers left to snap a window to the left side seems pretty fucking comfy.