Close button doesn't close

>close button doesn't close
>maximize button doesn't maximize
>minimize button doesn't minimize

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xHZIzcZmz1k
youtube.com/watch?v=qw3ZrTQTCyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bait. Red for close, yellow for minimize, and green for maximize.

"Close" hides the window, doesn't close the application.
"Minimize" creates an extra thumbnail near trash bin
"Maximize" moves the window to a new virtual desktop, hides dock and the controls

Bait

the b8 here is prety obvious. Try harder.

>red closes the WINDOW. not the ENTIRE PROGRAM.
>yellow minimizes the window, or at least pushes it out of your way.
>green is full screen but if you hold alt, it literally is a maximize button

This is just one of many reasons why Apple systems are unusable. The retarded applications that conform to this counterintuitive design perpetuate this problem.

LEARN HOTKEYS FAGGOT

>red closes the WINDOW. not the ENTIRE PROGRAM
What kind of retarded rationalization is this and why are you defending it?

Also
>or at least
heh
>green is full screen but if you hold alt, it literally is a maximize button
why is a more common action the alt(ernative) one?

Same reason Macs have right-click disabled by default. Don't try to apply logic to their design decisions.

Minimize works almost exactly like minimize on Windows. I don't see what the problem is.
And fullscreening was by far the more common action. People were dragging the corners of the window to the ends of the display, so Apple decided to add a green fullscreen button. Simple.
Also, on Windows, "maximize" just thoughtlessly blows the window up to fit the screen, but in macOS it only maximizes to the exact point scrollbars disappear.

They literally do not, are you retarded?

>Close window button closes the window and doesn't sometimes quit sometimes not if it's the last window
>Minimize button minimizes to dock
>Fullscreen button fullscreens
Maybe you're too stupid for OSX. I hear lots of people like yourself can get by with just their phone now, you should look into it.

>>maximize button doesn't maximize
macfags will defend this

Buttons in OSX do something different than what they suggest, a design theme you can find in all of Apple's products, especially when it comes to usability and performance. You expect 1+2+3 to equal 6? Hoo boy has Steve got a surprise for you.

i hope someone is paying you to write such retarded comments

Don't you wish your operating system installed applications this easy?

>maximize
>make as large or great as possible.

>'counterintuitive'

when your so dumb and lazy that anything that requires learning or leaving your comfort zone (non-trigger safe space) is automatically written off as 'bad design' or 'counterintuitive'

Where do I pick the install directory and other options?

You mean dragging the directory to the Programs's folder?

I think every OS does it that way, minus the custom "Xcode" background image.

it does actually
I don't even need to click and drag I just type the name and hit enter

open a new finder window, go to directory, drag app to directory

Unexpected program behavior is just shit design, aka Apple as usual. The only thing they're good at is duping morons into eating up their shit.

Just drag the application folder wherever you want, it just works. :^)

ITODDLERS BTFO

That's fucking retarded, why can't I just pick the directory right away instead of jumping through hoops after being forced to install it in the wrong directory?

>save pics from site
>every fucking pic has the same filename
>OVERWRITE ? Y/N
>validating the prompt deselects name field

windows 8 onwards fucking does this too, its annoying as fuck

>close button doesn't close
Yes, it closes, if it is a singular windows program, like calculator or calendar, it will close the application, if it is a multi window program, like safari, it just closes the window, not the app.

>maximize button doesn't maximize
What? Hold alt and click the green button if you're trying to fit he windows in the screen with the dock, bar appearing.

>minimize button doesn't minimize
Don't be retarded. What is minimize to you, then?

>What is minimize

Yes, the "green button" works really well, WAY better than does on windows.

>red closes the WINDOW. not the ENTIRE PROGRAM.

apt install application-name

if anything its even easier

>semantics
>that's my argument at this point
fucking autists man

>if it is a multi window program, like safari

Those are tabs though. Either way, it's fucking retarded.

Yeah, that's what maximizing does in macOS. Makes the window just big enough so that all content is on screen without stretching it to an unnecessarily huge size and creating a shitload of whitespace

this is the very definition of "trying to be too clever"

iNiggers will literally defend this

>>close button doesn't close
it does
it does
>>minimize button doesn't minimize
it does

why do you lie user?

ITT: Little ducky syndrome
Winfags that can't concibe another way to use the GUI
>the window and the program must be the same
>minimizing its the same as show the desktop

>implying red doesn't close the window
It closes the active window, not the application.
>implying there isn't a setting to have apps minimize to their dock icon
>implying the green button is a maximize button and not a 'full screen app' button.
Yosemite removed the maximize button and moved the full screen app button to replace the maximize button because most users never used maximize and always used the full screen button.

I don't even know why I'm posting in this idiotic bait thread.

when was the last time you had a GUI program and wanted it to keep running with all of its windows closed?

command, not alt.
it isn't. they were wrong. it's command+green for maximize, not alt+green.

>1+2+3 meme
you do know that was only a graphical glitch mixed with user stupidity, right? it only happened if you pressed the buttons really quickly, before the button glow animation ended. on iphones that haven't upgraded yet can press 1+2+3 like a normal human being and still get 6.

Yesterday.

Jesus christ, no, safari is a multi windows program. You can open 2 safari windows with only one application.

Tabs? Sweet dicks, you're retardaded.

And did you actually want that behavior for some reason, or did that just happen to be what your OS does so you delude yourself into believing its useful somehow?

pretty much all the time? if it's a program i use frequently, i may close the active windows because i don't need them, but next time i need to use it i can just click the dock icon and start a new window instead of opening finder, going to applications, and selecting the application or locking it to my dock and ending up with a ton of icons cluttering it.

>having to wait until the animation finishes or the input is ignored
Award winning applel ux.

Its the behaviour I want. Sometimes I wish that separation between the program and the window could be an option in Windows.

>not knowing that command+red closes the application
>not knowing that command+green maximizes the application
>not knowing that there's an option "minimize into dock icon" in the dock settings.

pathetic b8 m8, i r8 it 0/8

These people just hate apple to hate apple because they're poor. They don't have any real arguments and don't know what they're talking about, but god damn they sure will talk the loudest.

Even if they have the money they hate Apple because they can't realize that Apple wants exactly that kind of behaviour.

that sounds like a shitty interface for starting applications or selecting running ones, more than an argument for separating GUI applications from their active windows.

why do you have to hold down the command button to do what should be the default behavior?

Why that should be the default behaviour?
>inb4 cause windows does it in that way

Exactly.

close button closes the window (not the program)
minimize button minimizes the window (like, this one isn't up for debate)
fullscreen button puts the window in fullscreen (you'd have had an actual point when it was the zoom button, which would arbitrarily resize the window when clicked and was basically useless for a lot of programs since they didn't provide window manager hints to scale to a useful size)

it's not a rationalization
it's a description of what happens

mind you, macOS programs staying open without any windows open is a stupid holdover from the single-tasking pre-MultiFinder days when a program with no windows open had an entirely blank desktop area and there was no possible confusion that you didn't close the program, since you were still visibly in a program
pretty sure I've typed this exact post before bit I can't remember
a bunch of dumb shit with macOS is stupid holdovers from the old Mac System Software days

>have to keep window open if you want to keep program running

Why do Windows users actually defend this? Are they too dumb to realize a program can run in the background without having a window open?

This is better than windows but doesn't even come close to how easy it is in Linux

>"What's a straight male?"

It's basically just snaps with the details hidden from the user.

Have you ever clicked close while downloading something in your browser and the browser says "stop, this window needs to be open in order to continue the download"? Well that's why the close button limits itself to just the window (unless it's a one window app). Apps can keep processes in the background going. Or another example: If you are working on a document and want to close your current one and then create a new one, you'd have to first create a new one, then go back to the window of your last document and then close it. Or you would close your document, open your app and wait for it to load and then select new document. On macOS you can just close the document and select new document from the menu bar (or from the icon in the dock).

NO THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED AND IT INFECTED LINUX FOR FUCKS SAKE

>but there are no known exploits
then what was the poc in the release docs lol

sometimes it does. I'm sure all the Apple viciously hated Steve to torment his spirit that much.

well m8, if you're not plugging in the other side of the cable I can't help you either.

Friend worked as an Apple salesperson for a couple years and quit recently.
They literally gave him a phrase booklet to use when people ask about stupid design decisions.
For the mouse it was something like
>charging it for 30 seconds will give you enough time to finish your job

Reminder Mac users are so retarded they get confused by more than one button

It’s the same with Skype and discord on windows. It’s up to the developers for said program to decide what to do. Also you have force quit, which is very accessible and sends a SIGTERM.

Mactoddlers have defended this.

wow it doesn't work like the your old pleb OS. maybe learn something new?

what is the point of a windowed GUI if you just maximize everything?

that windows and gnome keep copying

Macs cost more but are worth it

Build quality and OS is better.

They make windows computers so cheap that they have to subsidize it with adware and bloatware. No thanks

Macs cost more and aren't worth it

Build quality trash and macos is a joke.

They make macs so expensive so they can push cheap trash at huge markup to get that massive profit margin off gullible retards. No thanks.

>I'm 16 and don't know how computers and processes work: the post

This isn't some le crazy apple feature that they put in to be unique. This was a concept that apple adopted in the 1980s when computers didn't have multi-tasking and it didn't make sense to close an application when exiting a window.

>fagOS is literally 4 decades behind windows/linux
TOPKEK

>macos is a joke

Explain how macOS is a joke.

see

>I hear lots of people like yourself can get by with just their phone now

You mean like iToddlers?

>MSVC still doesn't fully support C++11
>Linux uses a monolithic kernel

[epic reddit reaction image goes here]

>exit out of programming
>still alive in the system tray

although there is some truth to this, it translates very well to a multitasking os. for instance the windows alt tab scheme is extremely hobbled compared to cmd-tab (cycle program) and cmd-` (cycle window) usage in macos.

can't learn new things?

>Windows
An Operating System based on an OS from 1977 that REQUIRES itself to be installed on an (very shitty) filesystem from 1993. With a still broken kernel because hurrdurr microkernels are harrd we hybrid now! With awful design choices such as rendering fonts in the kernel, because that's what a smart OS does.

But hey, at least it's not based on BSD and Unix!

Thanks, we needed yet another thread to demonstrate how retarded Windows users are.

its alot better if you get used to it and have limited screen real estate. give it a try, its productive.

Imagine going with human logic into a different system

>I want to close the window
>Let's press the button to close the window
>The program closes

>Try to find a command to close the program
>Let's see, CMD+Q... Q = Quit? Oh that makes sense
>Let's try it over Windows
>Alt+F4... why not F6? F2? F7? What the fuck makes the 4 a "quit"?

That's the thing, just because you learned how to use an OS, doesn't mean it has to be universal. Linux adapted more to the one with more marketshare, it's all.

So you can't open two calculators at once? If you can, why would it count as two separate apps, and not two windows?

Thanks, we needed yet another thread to demonstrate how retarded macfags are.

>go full screen on separate desktop instance, naturally three finger gesture between full screen instances.
>somehow you think that maximizing, covering the whole screen with no simple one-move gestures to switch between apps is actually more preferable.
I like how people who don’t use the OS think they understand the workflow on the OS better than the users do

>Yosemite removed the maximize button and moved the full screen app button to replace the maximize button

You can still maximize by double clicking the header of your program. You don't need a fucking button anymore. So it's just like windows, except windows has an extra useless button for it.

The program staying open when all windows are closed for near every application is fucking stupid, but that's the only thing wrong with the close button.
The minimize button is fine.
The maximize button is full retard and never did the right thing.

Oh wow hotkeys. Just like back in DOS era right? So intuitive. So courageous.

>I will never easily install an application
>I will always be spied upon
>I will never use g++
>I will never get a job
>At least I got muh gayms amirite guys?
>I will never choose when to install updates.
>I will never use bash
>I will never get pussy
Why live?

I can only imagine the state of confusion mactoddlers get when using Windows for the first time.

youtube.com/watch?v=xHZIzcZmz1k
hey you pressed the capslock key a bit too fast there boyo why don't you press it again but slower this time?

I really don't like how macOS handles windows. Just look at this video. The green maximize (fullscreen) button is completely useless.
youtube.com/watch?v=qw3ZrTQTCyY