I'm confused

I'm confused...

I have a AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core proc. I've been told by many (Sup Forums) sources that my proc is bad/old/outdated, and that there are several procs out on market today that blow mine away. And hyet, when I put an i5 or i7 against it, they both score under mine.

I'm asking because I have ~$300 to drop on a new (better) proc, but damn, if mine's truly standing the test of time, dunno if I even need a new one.

If you're happy with it then keep it.
Ryzen is steller however.

If you have a 60 Hz monitor for gaming, it's fine... barely and if you overclock it a bit... and the fps mins are a bit worse than modern chips...

FX is the end of the line for AM3+ platform.

You would need new mobo (~100), new RAM (~180), and the new CPU (~200)

I'd want to get a Ryzen mobo but I wouldn't be able to resell my current 3570k.

Although my 3570k is plenty fast enough anyway - and I won't be able to net 16gb ram as cheap as I did for this setup.

So I guess I'm gonna stick with this cpu for another five or so years.

Same boat. Maybe thinking of going the Xeon 1245 route or i7 3770k to get extra threads to hold over.

I'll upgrade when I need to.

Your cpu is one of the most powerful CPUs that is not compromised, backdoored or botnetted. Ie meltdown, ME/PSP

Normal ryzen CPUs dont have psp from what I understand but the ryzen PRO enterprise CPUs do

>gaming
Sup Forums babies need to go back

ryzen is good my goyum. Picked up a 1600x that replaced my i5 4690k and I ain't lookin back

It's inefficient, not slow and current processors aren't worth the upgrade imo for normal workloads.

Running my 8350 with a gtx 1070 for a VR rig, pretty sure the gpu is bottle necked, but it's good enough for now. At least until the pimax 8k comes out.

All have it. It is just the pro can leverage the additional 'features' in the PSP itself.
It is just like how some core i7s don't have any useful capabilities that ME provides, but yet have ME in them.

gets good compile times on gentoo with muh cores

I have a 6300 which is worse than yours and my PC runs okay. My motto on upgrades is that it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What the fuck kind of i5 or i7 are you putting it against that it's winning? Equivalent of an OG i7 hexacore crushes the best FX has to offer, despite being behind in clocks by 900mhz and cores by 2, and this is really a very conservative overclock.

/thread

dumb fucking shit bait thread

I was on the fence about upgrading, but figured components weren't getting any cheaper. Got a 16gb DDR4 3000 kit for $140 on Black Friday along with a 1500X, B350 mobo, and NVMe drive. Seeing how everything is creeping up in price, I think I made the right choice.

I used a 980Ti with my FX 8320 a bit before I upgraded to Ryzen, even at 4.2Ghz, it could only manage 65fps in PUBG with mixed settings at 1080p. Using the same settings on a 1500x, I get around 90fps. Other games have noticeable gains, too.

I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade, but Ryzen+ is around the corner and at the very least it is an IPC improvement with an upgraded chipset.

If you OC an 83XX to around 4.4Ghz, it'll post above Ivy Bridge/Below Haswell on CPU-Z tests and in Cinebench.

Let's not forget that FX8350 is a 4M8T Processor, and not a 8C8T one

I upgraded from an 8320 @ 4.7ghz to a Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.9ghz and the difference is definitely noticeable.

I still have my 290x gpu and can tell that the 8320 was holding it back by around 20fps on average in just about every game I play. Any Ryzen will be an upgrade from what you have. Just cause it's an "8 core" doesn't mean it's better than the newer i5 quad cores or the Ryzen quad cores. It isn't. I would at least jump to the R5 1600x.

I love my 1700 though.

>4M8T
a bit unrelated to the thread but what does the M stand for?

I'm still quite happy with my 8320E and Fury Nano combo. I personally don't feel a need to upgrade yet or anytime soon

you might be able to find a cheap ryzen+x370/b350 combo when ryzen 2 comes out in a month or two. At the very least the new chipset/cpus will drive down the old prices

Module. Basically it has 4 FP Modules and 8 Integer cores

modules, it isn't a true 8 core because every 2 cores share 1 fpu. That doesn't mean it can't handle 8 threads, it's just if an application is floating point heavy the cpu suffers

i had an 8350 but when i upgraded to a 6700k it came out to around twice as fast in real world tests.

I'm sure you're happy with it but you should know that it is definitely holding your GPU back and you would probably gain at least 10-20 fps from an upgrade.

I planned upgrades a handful of times but I self reflected and realized I only play shadowverse/hearthstone, mechwarrior online (locked at 60), and forza 7 (locked at 60) I realized I didn't need an upgrade for a long while. I do have a 144hz freesync that never is used to it's full potential because of locked fps games but neither is my gpu and I could care less. I'm quite content really