Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
youtube.com/watch?v=GCPsfWfdFmw
tenforums.com/tutorials/38097-change-drag-drop-default-action-windows.html
temp-mail.org/en/
playground.arduino.cc/CommonTopics/PullUpDownResistor
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I sell my old (2015-ish) PC parts?
I'm afraid ill get scammed and I dont want to use feegay.

What do I need to protect myself as much as possible from spectre and meltdown? I'm on a i7-5930k and looking to install the security patch/fix but haven't had windows updates enabled for a long time.

What do?

Turn off pc, throw in dumpster, bug out innawoods.

How much should I charge for removing crapware, removing spyware, defragging , and updating two laptops?

Don't sell it. Re-purpose it for some other usage (Ex. server, testing computer, etc.) If it really is shit, then just put up a sign. You'd be surprised at how many hobbyists want old shit.

Update firmware and OS. Although it probably is not going to effect you too much. Just don't be stupid and do stupid shit online. If you really want to keep safe, then enable updates again. And then, disable it. It's not that hard

Wanting to maybe get a VR capable build going, is my current motherboard any way viable at all?

Pic related, it's a M5A99X EVO

It has an AM3+ socket, so I could probably get away with one of the AMD FX processors, right?

This is the stupid part, because I'm not 100% sure. Thnx

Nah, I have no use for my old 5930k, I already have a fx 8350 machine as my NAS and a old phenom for my pfsense router. I want to sell it instead to get a ryzen 8 core machine and a dedicated windows machine to use with my KVM switch. Do you know where would be a good place to put a listing (e.g. craiglist), or tips on how to avoid getting scammed while selling?

Socket should be fine. But why not Ryzen? Also, depends on your graphics card.

I'm looking for a Linux OS that I can run from an SD card or in a virtual machine.

This OS also shouldn't contain any buttnet.

What are my options?

Any distro that isn't ubuntu

>But why not Ryzen?

Is that not a totally different socket type? Again, I don't know.

I've only built one PC before, and while it went fine, my hand was held by Sup Forums

About half the price of the laptop in question if you really want to maximize profits, or look at what is the price of the local best buy service cost and do less than that. Tech illiterates think computer maintenance is magic since their solution is to just buy a new cheap beater laptop when they junk up their old machine, so any refurbishing solution that costs less than a new laptop will seem a good deal to them.

Im OSX el capitan, I accidebtally let firefox update and it fucked my shit up
I have a back up from like 3 weeks ago, is there a way I can grab JUST my firefox?
I really wanna roll back this FF update but idk how to do it

If you can sell the motherboard and have the money, switch to Ryzen. Otherwise, it depends what AMD fx cpu you get. Anything better than a 6350 amd fx (or even slightly worse) would work. Something like a 1060 geforce will definetly be enough. And make sure you get 16 gbs of RAM too.

If you want to go cheap get a ryzen 3 or ryzen 5 and pair it with a used gtx970/gtx980, should run pretty well.

Even a low end ryzen 3 1200 for $100 will out perform your fx processor in vr because of the vastly improved single core performance which is needed to drive vr games at 90+fps, and yes it is a new socket so you should get a new motherboard.

Uninstall and go find the version you want here:
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

But then id lose all my addons and shit wouldnt I?
I wanna preserve my bookmarks, tabs and addons ;-;

In Avidemux, you can go through the video frame by frame using the arrow keys.
Is there any shortcut so you can go 5 frames or one second at a time? It's kind of ridiculous having to go through frame by frame. Up and Down keys skip you to key frames but that's no good

>and yes it is a new socket

Yeah, thought as much, but I thought I might be able to sneak in a cheap CPU.

>so you should get a new motherboard.
Look that way. Thanks

Just updated to sierra
How do I get the ability to preview webms in finder? I had it working on Mountain lion but everything seemed to stop working

I don't think rollback is supported. I think maybe if you made a temporary account, then maybe the bookmarks may come back.

When are computer parts supposed to drop in price? I know mining is doing all this, but does anyone have a estimate?

Fug
Okay thanks user
I was going to see if I could attempt to find the firefox profile settings file or whatever its called, but i dont think it works like that anymore
FUCK

What CPU temps should I have on laptop while shitposting. Is 52 C ok?

Dependends what computer components were talking about

>CPU
Already cheap because of AMD's new competition and severs offloading their used sandy bridge cpus, But shit will get extremely cheap once we go a couple years into the end of moore's law and cpu innovation once we get to 5nm. Then cpu companies wont be able to make faster cpus unless they go the quantum computing route.
>RAM
Not until DDR5 comes around because of the korean jew embargo on RAM chips.
>GPUs
When crypto currency becomes irrelevant (wont happen any time soon), or when crypto mining becomes so mainstream everyone and their dog buys pre-assembled miners from dell or hp.
>motherboards
Already cheap
>high wattage psu's
same as GPU's
>cases
Already cheap
>peripherals
when cherry finally fucking dies
>monitors
already cheap unless you want the adaptive refresh meme

Under 80C is okay and wont damage the cpu, you ideally want to be below 70C to increase the longevity of the CPU.

That's a little bit high. I would get a cooling dock or you can even get a dust blower and blow out the insides by opening your laptop. Reapplying thermal paste can also help. Try to bring it below 45 degrees.

I just made a new build. Everything is literally cheap as fuck except GPUs and RAM. Certain peripherals may still be costly and good monitors still costs some money.

Ok. At which temperatures Intel Turbo kicks in?
Heatsink doesn't have dust, thermal interface is 3 years old, from factory.... I am just playing with fan settings, so laptop is quiet when shitposting, but really lound, when Sup Forums decides to mine bitcoins.

My suggestion, go used. Gtx 970s usually go for around 180-220$ used and a good sandy bridge 8 core xeon goes for only about 100$ bucks. Old nvidia gpus are not good for mining and old cpu's are cheap and use ddr3 ram which is uneffected by the korean shortage of ram chips, leading to great price-to-performance.

Intel starts throttling the CPU at around 80C and shuts down the CPU at 105C.

Someone please answer, will post sexy battlestations from times long forgotten.

>Do you know where would be a good place to put a listing (e.g. craiglist), or tips on how to avoid getting scammed while selling?

I consider moving from windows 7 to 10, what is to go version these days, ltsb n?
also is there a faq on minimizing the botnet that's not just install gentoo

Is there anything wrong with keeping a SATA cable connected to the motherboard without having anything plugged into it? I just removed my hard drive and have the cables sorted very intricately and do not want to remove it.

If you're getting Windows 10 then just embrace the botnet because there's no way to totally escape it. If you choose not to update then you may as well not use Windows 10 because the whole point of it is to have it with all the new features. LTSB is pointless.

Its not worth it, there's nothing windows 10 can do that windows 7 can't. The only reason I see to install windows 10 is to use directx 12 because you have a AMD gpu which can benefit from it, if you have a nvidia gpu there is no need for directx 12 because it performs the same as directx 11.

Some new hardware components require Windows 10 to function as well

What are the best free anti-virus programs (and their pros/cons)? I haven't used Windows in a long time so I'm totally ignorant about this (it's for my sister's computer). I've googled it and everyone seems to have a different opinion which doesn't help me much.

Of course common sense and an ad blocker are a good first line of defense, but what beyond that? What's trustworthy, effective, and not a resource hog?

>AMD gpu which can benefit from it, if you have a nvidia gpu there is no need for directx 12 because it performs the same as directx 11
am i geting memed on, this sounds like bullshit

Like what? You always modify the installation media with the necessary "only for windows 10" drivers needed for the hardware. Example: ryzen usb 3.0 drivers.

Look up benchmarks if you dont believe me, many times directx 12 actually performs worse than directx 11 because directx 12 is based off of AMD's mantle API made specifically for their gpu's, while Nvidia optimized their architecture for directx 11.

it's completely harmless

>What's trustworthy
nothing

>effective
doubtful if any of them are

Mantle has nothing to do with dx12. It was discontinued in favor of Vulkan which is looking very promising.

>mantle has nothing do do with dx12
AMD sold their Mantle API to microsft which heavily borrowed from it for directx 12

Mantle was given to the khronos group

Sorry, you are right, I am mistakened.
Directx 12 still borrows alot from mantle, due to the use of AMD gpus in the xbox.

I was watching a video where a guy got an old eMachines desktop and disassembled it to clean it up. What caught my attention was this graphics card, which appears to be using a standard PCI connector as opposed to AGP or PCI-E. Finding information about PCI graphics cards seems to be a fruitless endeavor as google thinks I'm talking about PCI-E cards, or the rare result that is indeed about standard PCI cards are just forum posts with replies like "lol just get a new computer" *topic closed*.

I don't suppose very many PCI GPUs were made, considering boards that lacked either AGP or PCI-E were very limited in number and relegated exclusively to OEM suppliers, but I'd like to know if anyone on Sup Forums has better knowledge on these odd GPUs.

are lga771 core 2 quad xeons affected by spectre and meltdown? should i patch?

This should be insightful:
youtube.com/watch?v=GCPsfWfdFmw

Any intel cpu made after 1995 is susceptible to meltdown and spectre.

just took my first class today for my ham radio class at my college, it seems interesting.

my main question is really what the fuck can I do with it besides talk to people ot prep for some disaster?
how useful is it?

How do I learn or better understand AMD processors, what I mean is that I've always bought intel chips, and they seem easy enough to understand. i3 < i5 < i7, typically. With amd, though its all phenom or A10 or Ryzen, etc. How the fuck do I compare chips for amd?

Stop being a macfag and thrw away that hipster shit.
Buy a PC.
Install Linux.

Is pic related? because that's a Geforce FX 5200. Look closely at this PCB and it's identical except for a couple chips are missing, which I assume are video RAM. And obviously a big heatsink instead of a fan.

Anyways, at one time PCI video cards came before AGP cards. So they're not really that odd, they're just old. But the specimen in your pic is a shitty card, even for someone doing a retro PC build.

I'm on Windows 10 and whenever I move one file from a drive to different drive it makes a copy instead of just actually moving the file

How do you make it move the file by default?

Yeah, the pic is indeed one of those PCI cards. PCI GPUs do make sense now that you mentioned that AGP came later, I always thought it was after. This particular GPU was from an OEM eMachines, which explains why it's so shit.

8.1 is comfy

No

Whenever my Windows 8.1 computer goes to sleep and wakes up, there's some sort of network problem. To fix it, I have to go to CMD and type ipconfig /renew. This happens every time, does anyone know what's going on?

I've just been ip banned from twitch and my account says it has a 24 hour suspension on it for harassment. Do you think the ip ban will go away after 24 hours or just stay forever. Literally all I did was trick streamers into saying "knee grows". If not how do I go about changing an ip. Yes I'm this retarded.

Right click drag drop or tenforums.com/tutorials/38097-change-drag-drop-default-action-windows.html

Fuck off
>used 8.1 for almost a year before switching to windows 7

What's the better free stream/capture software to use?

Windows Game Bar or Nvidia Shadowplay?

The only reason a motherboard would be a bottleneck for VR is if it doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes for the GPU or if the socket only supports extremely outdated CPUs. A single graphics card will not saturate 16 PCI-E gen 2 lanes aside from the Titan V. AM3+ should allow you to get a used piledriver 8 core for >$100 which while not a spectacular CPU shouldn't be a bottleneck either.

To be honest though that socket is completely outdated and even a dual core would beat the best CPUs available for it in single-threaded and poorly threaded applications like gaming. Anything pre-Ryzen is completely obsolete on AMDs side. There's a good chance Ryzen 2 will launch this quarter so I'd suggest waiting for that. You could get a B350 board as AM4 is going to be supported for awhile and they're all forwards compatible.

Don't think changing the IP will works if the ban is tied to your account. Just wait it out.

I was checking if my system was protected from memeltdown using powershell, but it says

with user pages marked global: yes
with PCID flushing optimization (INVPCID): no

I checked results from other anons and it says NO to pages marked global.
And HWinfo says my cpu supports INVPCID.

>Inb4 not supported by windows7

Calm down. I've been using 8.1 and it's working fine for me all this time.

Unplug your modem, wait 5-10 minutes, then plug it back it. This will trigger your ISP into giving you a new IP addr if your ISP uses a dynamic IP addr (this is true most cable internet providers).

Yeah I know I'm just worried that the ip ban will stay because I can't view streams at all from any account or device that I try.

>Windows gay bar
eat ass Sup Forums

Thanks man ill try this if the ban doesn't go away after 24 hours

Can you view streams if you connect to other wifi and without logging into twitch account?

Well I can't connect to any other Wi-Fi right now. But on my wifi I can't view any stream at all on any device. It's just a black screen.

What's a good throwaway email service to use?

Guerilla mail

I need something more permanent. Basically a trial/spam inbox.

OBS for more settings with streaming and control.
ShadowPlay for the passive recording option.
Windows 10 recording for the support of uploading to Xbox, and also being able to use the Xbox app to quickly trim stuff. It's limited to 60 FPS, but gets the job of making clips done and you can set a custom time like ShadowPlay, making SP redundant. Make sure you configure the options to enable 60 FPS capturing though.

temp-mail.org/en/
I use this. Dunno how long you're talking, nor do I know the limitations of this. It's just useful as a throwaway email site.

Thanks for the video, it was a good watch.

Then use any other service, setting up a gmail account is not hard.

cock.li

What media player should I play my music on

mpv if you have autism like me
or clementine if you want the features of a music player like albums and sorting bulshit ahahasslddahfsladfjhaslds

Pls respond

I am currently attempting to root a Motorola MC40 but the only way I can see it on the PC end is with an adb devices command when the device is in recovery mode waiting for a sideload. Once i can see it with the adb devices command I try to rebuild the bootloader but it always returns with error:closed. I don't have much experience with this so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to rebuild the bootloader because I'm having issues entering fastboot mode which I need to unlock the bootloader with an oem command so that it can be rooted. How do I fix this error:closed issue or otherwise rebuild the bootloader so I can enter fastboot?

If you use Intel, then yes (if you haven't patched it with the 10 update). Updates for 7 and 8 come on the 16th.

Ok friend, I picked Fedora to match my taste in sophisticated head wear.

How do I edit the startup screen so it boots into the live user instead of giving me the option of installing Fedora. I guess the menu is it's own GRUB menu or something

I already installed the update on win7 64x, that's why I'm asking. Or are we getting more updates that day?

Is this also for Spectre?, Because i don't know if Lenovo will release anything for our bios

>not using a dumbphone
>using pajeet OS
Get a $10 dollar dumbphone, problem solved, maybe you'll even get a social life.

Not sure about spectre, but meltdown patches for 7 come out on 16th

This was given to me by someone I know for free. This is not my main device I'm just attempting to get into it for fun. I don't really need it for anything specific or I would have just picked up something cheap

i have a song in mp3 format that's obnoxiously loud in one ear. how can i balance out the volume?

I can't manage to wrap my head around this why is a resistor leading to ground? why are there grounds everywhere?

Open it in audacity and try and increase the volume for the quieter track i.e. Left track or Right track.

Are 2560x1080 ultrawides any good? I want one but can’t afford anything with a higher res.

Ultrawide is a meme, not worth it for gaming since most games do not support it and will have streched out UI, and also because our peripheral vision has no detail what so ever It doesn't matter if you have two 4k side monitors or two 480p side monitors. So if you are looking for ultra wide gaming just get some cheap dell office monitors and use those on the sides of a standard 16:9 monitor. For productivity its shit because its equivalent to two 5:4 monitors side by side and grid stack (4x4) in a tiling wm like i3 looks horrendous because of how stretched out each window will be, for productivity your much better suited for a triple monitor config or get a huge korean 40" 4k panel for like 400$ and it will be the same as having 4 1080p displays in a grid which is a godlike setup for tiling WMs.

>why is a resistor leading to ground?
Read this: playground.arduino.cc/CommonTopics/PullUpDownResistor

>why are there grounds everywhere?
Unless otherwise stated, in electrical diagrams all grounds are the same. It's just a convenience to use multiple grounds rather than deal with trying to trace multiple lines all around the schematic. In a real circuit, those grounds are all connected.

thanks m8

Are you as a non-developer expected to install all these programs and build a program from source when downloading from Github or am I missing some obvious button?

Cause I'm finding it very difficult to download a working older version of a program on Github.