If x86 is such misconstrued, vulnerable garbage then why don't we all switch to powerPC?

If x86 is such misconstrued, vulnerable garbage then why don't we all switch to powerPC?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.oracle.com/bestperf/benchmark
ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-impact-processors-power-family/
cs.umd.edu/class/sum2003/cmsc311/Notes/Data/endian.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set_architecture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC
osnews.com/story/3997/Analysis_x86_Vs_PPC/page3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can't find PowerPC parts comparable in performance to x86, and you will need to port everything over to it.

What about POWER?

ibm engineers patented 99% of substrate ip currently in circulation lmao ibm is at center of current fiasco

We should, POWER and RISC-V

PPC performance was disrupted by Apple transitioning to Intel, had Apple stayed with the PPC and then eventually the RISC-V we would see an entirely different market place, and 100% less Hackintosh threads.

Pretty sure powerPC is also affected by spectre. At least if they do speculative computation.

They moved on because there was no way in hell to get a G5 working reasonably on a laptop.

PA Semi did it but at that point Apple was already into the Intel transition.

No there was no effective way to get the power management to run within a laptop, but given Apple's less than excellent PowerPC coding with OSX, Flash was still a lag because of terrible coding. The PWRficient processors would have been a step forward, Jobs just didn't want to wait the extra 8 months so transitioned to an architecture that could take all of the OSX uselessness in terms of bloated code and run it because Intel really doesn't give a fuck about execution.The death for the 64-bit POWER was when Apple bought PA just to task them to design iPod ARM processors and fire the engineers.

It still lived on through consoles for a few years before being relegated to whatever POWER is being used for nowadays.

not only spectre but a little birdie told me they are also affected by meltdown(as in it wasn't just Intel)

Why not SPARC? It's already got comparable performance per core(up to two times better on some workloads), and it's got a shitton of cores.
blogs.oracle.com/bestperf/benchmark
Not a problem on Linux.

It's not the x86 instruction set's fault, it's optimisations that create this bug

>It still lived on through consoles for a few years before being relegated to whatever POWER is being used for nowadays.
Fighter Jets, Military computer hardware, NASA controls, NASA probes (New Horizons), and undisclosed pentagon hardware. Hence why Apple has to maintain support for the supposed inferior to intel at the time PWRficent but has showed even as early as the xbox when the intel transition was happening that it was a powerhouse; and government contracts demand it's continued support from Apple/PA.

>It's not the x86 instruction set's fault, it's optimisations that create this bug
optimisation that only creates huge fucking bugs in x86, most ARM all Power, SPARC, and MIPS are immune. All of those support dynamic execution and branching. Power handles it by using multiple reservation queues, intel uses a central queue and direct register file write.

>all Power are immune
dear god Sup Forums learn to research ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-impact-processors-power-family/

>as in it wasn't just Intel
DELET THIS

There's no such thing as x86 CPUs anymore.
Not since pentium pro.

Can someone explain to a brainlet why moving to different CPUs is a hurdle

Don't all CPUs do the same? AMD and Intel are the same? Isn't Snapdragon and PowerPC just other CPUs?

the big issue is big vs little endian cs.umd.edu/class/sum2003/cmsc311/Notes/Data/endian.html

You would need to redo every single x86 program ever made to it.

Not exactly. Loongson processors, for example, are MIPS64 CPUs but also have silicon dedicated to accelerating x86 emulation in QEMU.

CPU Architectures. You go and google that.

user I said I was a brainlet holy shit my head hurts. Just finished reading it. I'm going to guess different CPUs write memory differently?

Does programming account for endians on it's own? Couldn't you just flip endians when moving to a new CPU? Or is that just the equivalent of rewriting the whole thing?
I thought programs where CPU independent? Like if you wrote a program for windows it would work regardless of the CPU so long as it was running windows?

Does that mean that Windows 10 for ARM was a big thing because they had to rewrite the whole ting?

But I"m a brainlet user I need spoonfeeding

>I'm going to guess different CPUs write memory differently?
yes!
>Couldn't you just flip endians when moving to a new CPU?
You also have to account for optimizations at the compiler level, dirty hacks in C where they manually reference the memory address and
>I thought programs where CPU independent?
some are, things like Java, C#, etc are CPU independent
>Like if you wrote a program for windows it would work regardless of the CPU so long as it was running windows?
>Does that mean that Windows 10 for ARM was a big thing because they had to rewrite the whole ting?
Yeeah since they used .NET for all user applications(from the store) they just "worked" everything else had to be ported/recompiled and tested

Thanks for helping me understand a little user.

>why don't we all switch to powerPC?

>I'm going to guess different CPUs write memory differently?
>I thought programs where CPU independent?
>Windows 10 for ARM was a big thing because they had to rewrite the whole ting
> Couldn't you just flip endians when moving to a new CPU? Or is that just the equivalent of rewriting the whole thing?
You're a fucking idiot. Go back to Sup Forums.

He said PowePC not Intel i9

Because PPC is power hungry. Think of the current intel housefire CPUs, multiply that by 10, decrease the performance by 50%, that's your PPC.

PPC can work in both modes. Endianness shouldn't be an issue.

Because we don't live in a perfect world. Seriously, the worst architectures are the most commonly used these days. ARM is the ugliest RISC arch and x86 is rubbish.

Rewrite software to operate off PowerPC instruction sets. x86 Instruction sets are rather quite different from PowerPC ones.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set_architecture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC

All languages are CPU independant, you need to have a compiler that compiles for that architecture.

Power is also affected by both spectre and meltdown

all high level languages sure, but i was dumbing it down for him like he asked

>Think of the current intel housefire CPUs, multiply that by 10
>If I post a bunch of retarded hyperbolic shit based on nothing the other anons are gonna give me many (You)s.
osnews.com/story/3997/Analysis_x86_Vs_PPC/page3/

>on Wed 9th Jul 2003 16:43 UTC

fucking faggot, pentiums were 10x housefire back then.

Let's look at your relevant data, then.

Yesss, then we can run Amiga again!

Is there a single POWER/PPC evangelist on this board that doesn't sound like a fucking idiot who worships anything with an IBM logo on it or a magical "RISC" label on the ISA specification?

>and you will need to port everything over to it

>download PPC source package on linux
>compile

That's good, for 3% of people...

To be fair apple is pretty dumb to not sell osx for all computers. They could have easily killed off windows by now if they really wanted to.

Remember how successful it was the last time they did it?
Me neither. There's a reason Jobs shitcanned the clone program almost as soon as he was able to.

The time of installing Gentoo has arrived!

not him but basically all of netburst

>not owning a mac g5

Yeah, especially in winter. You can run your deprecated programs on your deprecated OS AND heat your home.

Most other architectures are probably also miscuntstructed, vulnerable garbage.
>inb4 Nonsense!

Well that way you can make packages and people will install them with a package manager.
Now you have packages for PPC.

It's another Intel shill thinks the only other party is AMD and needs an excuse to post his ebin wojaks episode, folks.

>Fighter Jets, Military computer hardware, NASA controls, NASA probes (New Horizons), and undisclosed pentagon hardware.

All those are application where the hardware needs to be rugged and tested to work in harsh environments. It's why Playstation chips were used a decade ago for satellites. Military hardware has different operational requirements than hipster doofuses do, ditto NASA.

Shit the entire reason they left ppc to begin with was because they couldn't make a mobile g5 that wouldn't melt your lap.

Nah if you go buy browser use there's only about as many hackintosh users as there are actual os x users.

If they attacked when Vista was still in headlines maybe.

still, linux is only 3% market share, if that.. does nothing for the majority