Linux Starter Pack

What is Sup Forums's linux starter pack

about to move out and shed my NEET status
so I want to make the jump from Windows to Linux

wondering what the best combination of soft/hardware is
>laptop
>modem / router
(apparently some laptops / modems aren't fully compatible with Linux)

>distro
>browser
>search engine
>VPN
>Anti virus / malware (apparently you need both nowadays)

i've heard you don't really need AV on Linux,
but I'd rather be certain I'm virus free

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob
pastebin.com/6P4z5Wwp
popcorntime.sh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kill yourself.

gentoo or bust

sorry for trying to escape the botnet user

how did i hurt you?

is that a laptop or what??

>install gentoo faggot
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

>laptop
thinkpad t420
>distro
glorious gentoo
>browser
whatever you want
>search engine
whatever you want
>VPN
i like private internet access
>Antivirus
clamav if you run a server otherwise you're prolly good m8

I think you have things backwards. You're supposed to use Linux when you are a NEET and Windows/macOS when you are a normie with a job.

Using Linux over Windows won't help with the NEET status. It'll probably make things worse.

Op don't listen to this guy , gentoo is just a shitty meme, Ubuntu is good enough, i prefer Zorin os but it's ubuntu based so it doesn't matter much, just comfy

>No chinkpad
>Ubuntu instead of Gentoo
>Botnet browsers instead of palemoon/waterfox
>Tunnelbear shit
>McAfee shit

Back to

Ok i'll give my opinions on this.
Despite what Sup Forums will tell you, you made a good choice with Ubuntu. It, as well as a lot of other Ubuntu-based stuff like mint, are perfect for newbies.
Not everyone wants to install Gentoo immediately. I guess maybe throwing in Debian as an advanced option would be good if this is about escaping botnets, because Debian is one of the only sane distros that has a deblobbed kernel.

Browser makes sense. Again, we are tiptoeing the line between freetard and semi-normie here, so those two are good choices.

Same goes for search engine, although I would actually recommend Searx. I've been using it over the past few weeks, and it's surprisingly good.

Not TunnelMeme. I'm no VPN expert, but from what i've heard, NordVPN is a bit more trustworthy.

I didn't know they made McAfee/Malwarebytes for Linux. I personally think it's unnecessary.
Computer, for the semi-normie type, recommend either System76 or Dell Developer lappys with Ubuntu. If we're going more freetard, either libreboot memepad or Purism.

For router, just point to the HCLs for either LEDE for semi-normie, or LibreCMC for freetard.

>>laptop
>thinkpad t420
>>distro
>glorious gentoo
>>browser
>whatever you want
>>search engine
>whatever you want
>>VPN
>i like private internet access
>>Antivirus
>clamav if you run a server otherwise you're prolly good m8
chinkpads are for poor hipsters.
debian > gentoo
firefox
duckduckgo
non-usa vpn.
don't need anti-virus you lamah.

>Sorry for trying to escape botnet
>Uses tunnel bear and botnet AV
Good luck. :^)

>thinkpad t420
>private internet access
>clamav

thanks user i'll check em out

the reason I'm making the switch
is because I plan to invest more in crypto currencies as I have more disposable income
already making a good return so far, so want to keep my investments safe

thank you but i do know the Gentoo meme
was just fucking with this guy appreciate it though

if Tunnelbear is shit then why is my beloved Linus shilling it?

There was a list of software for winrefugees but I dont have it at hand, maybe another user can post it, is pretty good.

Meanwhile, check linuxlinkks and the free software foundation list of software, youll find anything you want and then some more.

For vpns, as a rule of thumb, if they require anything from you aside from payment + email then you need to drop them immediately

t. soyboy

>Compiling your packages on intel CPUs after patch with +525% compiling time
:^)

>ubuntu
>not a thinkpad
>not watefox/palemoon/icecat
>duckduckgo
>using a vpn from a five eyes country
>antivirus

Is this bait?

>escaping botnets
wait since when is Ubuntu a botnet?
i thought that was just Win / Apple /Google stuff

thanks i'll check out all that stuff

why all the TunnelBear hate?

thank you user

any quality VPNs that accept Bitcoin?

>is this bait?

no
I had no idea what to put under Hardware
so I used "linux laptop" and "modem" stock images

>using a vpn from a five eyes country
euro / asian countries are becoming Big Brother states too so idk

>distro
Antergos KDE
>laptop
Thinkpad x220
>browser
Firefox

>wait since when is Ubuntu a botnet?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob
Linux kernel has quite a few closed source drivers by default.
Debian and a few obscure distros have kernels that don't come with these, but this also seriously reduces the amount of hardware that works properly on it.

Assume that every VPN collects data, do not trust any unless proven otherwise in court. Afaik only VPN proven to not have logs and proven in court is pia.

>use linuxmint
>amd
>dualbooting cuz gayms
>package manager
>file manager
>wm
>anime
>uses vpn
>shor up u 2mb, wuts wrung guid *insert one of the listened*

Im simply just toying with ya. I like shitposting before I go to sleep. Don't mind me.

Anyways, in all honesty your list is not bad. Pretty good for a starter list. I'm just simply curious of who this list is for? Is it for people who have had experience with computers before, or complete normalfags who just game and browse the internet? If it is for the first one, I feel like the anti virus would be unnecessary since it is expected of them to know how to protect themselves without paying for proprietary software. However, I may be wrong.

Additionally, I would add linux mint or debian to the distro list. Beginners to Linux might not know how to customize their DE so that's why I feel like if they open up ubuntu, they might not enjoy the GNOME interface. Most users are used to windows sleek design so mint would probably be a good one to add to that list due to its similar interface.

Also, what modem is that? Can you give me a name?

I think you need school first.

Hahahaha literally everything in that image is shit except for DDG. Can't believe Linux fags will defend... ANY of that.

>Ubuntu is good enough
good enough for what? being a shit os with a builtin amazon app calling itself linux?

Jesus OP. Get your shit together. Gentoo is the only true Linux distro. Ubuntu was dead as soon as they adopted systemd. Also using a commercial router? Really? Might as well just get a macbook and go fetch your girlfriend's boyfriend a beer while you are at it.

McAfee is hot garbage don't use it. Everything else seems fine though.

cool thanks

shit ok,
i'll look into that

appreciate it

ok I guess i'm going with PIA then

>dualbooting cuz gayms
>wm
>shor up u 2mb, wuts wrung guid *insert one of the listened*

not sure what most of that means

>who this list is for
me, a normal windows user with some technical knowledge, but not much

thanks I'll check out Mint and Debian

>what modem is that

it's just a random one i found on google, but sure thing:

D-Link PYTHON Dual Band AC1600 ADSL2+/VDSL2 Modem Router

probably

> everything in that image is shit
why tho?

what's shit about it?

well the main point is that Ubuntu is supposedly miles better than Win/Mac
that's all i need for the time being, even if it's the worst in the Linux ecosystem

what's the issue with commercial routers?
you don't expect me to build my own do you?

alright thanks, i think i'll go with clamAV

I fixed your shit

Fixed it somewhat. Try not being a retard.

Swap out Arch for Parabola.

Yes I do expect you to build your own router just like I expect you to build your own desktop PC and install Gentoo on that. Doing this means that you will learn how to do these things.

If you don't want to learn how to use Linux then you might as well stick with Windows.

I think this is confusing because you don't specify who this is for.
We've established that this is for the Windows user going to Linux, but you don't specify whether this hypothetical user is just someone who's fed up with Macroshit and wants a new comfy OS, or someone who is paranoid and wants to go full freetard in an attempt to escape the NSA/CIAniggers/etc.

If this is just for the average user, what you outlined in the OP is perfectly fine.
If this is for the freetard, you will want to look into distros that don't have a blobbed kernel, suggest stuff like icecat, libreboot, LibreCMC routers, etc.

State your audience before making this.

Also, These anons while they provide a comfy setup for the advanced user, miss the entire point of the thread. The hypothetical user has literally never touched Linux before, or has relatively little experience.

you guys realize i'm clueless right?

i just want a simple Linux distro,
that works similarly to Windows, but with massively increased security/privacy

i'm eventually going to have a seperate windows desktop for nothing but gaming

>if you're not going to switch to a 100% vegan diet with zero processed foods
>you might as well eat McDonalds for every meal, why bother eating healthy food

>if you're not going to run 2 miles every day
>you might as well never leave the couch

this is what you sound like user

>someone who is paranoid and wants to go full freetard in an attempt to escape the NSA/CIAniggers/etc

it's mainly just to prevent any Bitcoin / crypto holdings from being stolen,
but i appreciate the privacy benefits of Linux too

>The hypothetical user has literally never touched Linux before
this is me

OP you should dual boot if you're a starter

remember windows has disk management console (run diskmgmt.msc) if you mess up and want to remove linux and/or put another linux

Ok I don't know if you're OP or not, but honestly I think your original image was fine for your purposes. I would recommend specifically System76 or those certain Dell Developer models for the laptop, as they come with Ubuntu preinstalled and therefore fully supported.

ok, forgive me if this is a stupid question

but does keeping windows as a secondary boot option
allow Windows's telemetry / data collection to operate?
assuming i barely use it

and if someone were to steal my laptop, and breach the security on the windows side
would that then allow them to get access to what's on the Linux portion of the laptop?
(i assume not, but best to be sure)

yeah OP here

thanks I appreciate the recommendations

don't use tunnel bear

tunnel bear will fuck up programs like Steam, even after you uninstall it.

not planning to run steam on my Linux comp
I'll have a seperate Windows desktop for that

thanks though

>not using airvpn
Guys pls

What would be the point of making a thread full of pics like this? You can't retrieve any significant data from pictures unless you compile it by hand, you gain no further insight from looking at what others are using. Is it to brag about your trash?
Get a brain, fuckwit.

what? lol

Unironically

Any laptop you can get a good deal on

ubuntu is fine for beginners but i would use kde(kubuntu) not the default unity.
honestly, the learning curve isnt that big on most distros. you could use almost any of them.

use firefox or chromium browser
brave,waterfox are for paranoid memers

why do you care about all this privacy shit? whatre you gunna be doing? brave, vpn, antivirus? y

Get the fuck out of my board, retard.

yeah the System 76 laptops are fairly pricey for the basic shit i want to do

>why do you care about all this privacy shit?

it's mainly for
>keeping my various accounts secure,
other OS's are more susceptible to keyloggers/spyware, which i'm particularly worried about
(would you be ok with some others seeing every keystroke you type?)

>stopping people from draining my cryptocurrency wallets
(yes i know about cold storage, but i need to be able to use an exchange / enter bank details securely)

do I not have the right to privacy if i so desire?

>brave, vpn, antivirus?

I'm mainly interested in Brave because of BAT (pic related, it's blockchain related)
wouldn't necessarily use it myself, but was interested in what Sup Forums thought

VPNs / Antivirus are normal as fuck nowadays? what's odd about that kek

damn why so hostile

and no thanks, I'll stay
the other people here are chill
you should try it

You're a faggot dude. Fuck, don't you have anything better to do than to talk shit on an imageboard?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

to get keylogged, you actually have to download it

which makes me think youre omitting the naughty action you actually want to do

yes you have some type of right to privacy. just asking to see if theres anything specific to recommend

99% of people (including g users) dont need a bunch of privacy stuff altho i can always support defending against data mining

brave went from open source to closed source. that in itself isnt incriminating but it is suspicious at least a little. i just use firefox with privacy configs. mozilla has a reputation to uphold, they have incentive to be fair and secure

blockchain is overhyped

its impossible to prevent crypto threat. the first giant hazard sign are the unavoidable anonymous brokers who will sell your info to hackers and never get punished for it. crypto is a really bad investment at best (especially since the US is about to hit a recession- useless cryptos will tank) and is pretty much a scam

>to get keylogged, you actually have to download it
yeah, but it could be downloaded alongside a legitimate program, like any other virus

>anyone who gets a virus is doing something naughty on the internet
that's some stupid shit user

>blockchain is overhyped
yeah just like the internet was overhyped in the late 90s right?
i can't imagine it going anywhere rofl

do some research about the potential applications of such technologies

>useless cryptos will tank and is pretty much a scam
yeah no shit, that's why you invest in the ones that already have working prototypes / proof of concepts

yikes @ this thread
stop pretending to care about computers it makes you guys look silly!

>OP wants to escape the botnet
>"Don't listen to the memes, this botnet is good enough for you"
kys

>Ubuntu
Amazon botnet

>yeah just like the internet was overhyped in the late 90s right?
remember when wall street went crazy for every company that added a ".com" behind its name ?

>laptop
Used thinkpad, see /tpg/
>distro
Solus or manjaro
>browser
GNU Icecat, or Firefox variant of your choice
> search engine
DuckDuckGo or Startpage
> VPN
OpenVPN
> anti virus
Common sense 2018

yeah because at the time,
most of those companies were overestimating their ability to deliver on those promises
and the tech at the time wasn't advanced enough to allow it

but the innovation of blockchain,
is that all it requires is fairly basic (albeit expensive in some cases) hardware that we've had for years

the only issue is that it's not very user friendly at the moment,
but hey, neither was email originally

Ha

Here is the list pastebin.com/6P4z5Wwp

Popcorn Time popcorntime.sh/

>Distro
Debian 9 Stretch on most
Xubuntu 16.04 LTS on some
>Browser
Firefox 57
>Search Engine
Google
>VPN
FrozenWay
>Computer
Too many
>Router
Old PC with OpenWRT

ThinkPad X200 with Libreboot
WRT54G with ddwrt
Any distro is fine just get the GNU/Linux-libre kernel
Firefox + DuckDuckGo (search bangs are your friend)
If you get a VPN make sure it's no logs and hosted in a non 14 eyes country
The only antivirus I've heard for linux is clamav

Posting from my T500, THINKPAD MASTERRACE!

fpbp

Software:
- VirtualBox on Windows
- LinuxMint .iso

>LinuxMint .iso
enjoy your compromised iso's haha