New widespread Ubuntu bug leaves users with unresponsive desktop

Apparently 'snapd,' the daemon that manages Ubnutu Snap packages, sometimes gets into a state where it spams the systemd logging facilities with the same error message over and over again with no timeout or stand-off, causing the system to reach 100% CPU and become unresponsive.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gnome-software/ bug/1723362

It was first reported more than two months ago, and the fix still has not landed in 'stable'.

What else can you expect? Ubuntu hasn't even patched Meltdown & Spectre yet.

Sounds more like a bug with syndromed, syslog would ignore multiple identical logs.

syslog doesn't have this problem.

has anyone ever actually used gnome-software

Another systemd vulnerability. Who the fuck makes a logger which can be dos'd that integrates with pid1.

This is only a good thing.

1. systemd is garbage
2. ubuntu is garbage

In their defence, they weren't expecting to need to put a release out until the 9th.

It's pretty bad that everyone else was ready to release earlier though.

literally all they need to do is add the patchset to the kernel. How out of date is the Ubuntu kernel that they can't even apply a patchset that's being pushed into every single distro? Not to mention they have to enable every goddamn fucking feature known to man and then some for every release. This is entire their own fault for being a shitty, bloated OS that caters to people too dumb to wipe their own asses.

>spams the systemd logging facilities
>syslog would ignore multiple identical logs.
>syslog doesn't have this problem.

SERIOUSLY EVERYONE STOP USING THIS PILE OF FUCK

If only NSA/Red Hat wasn't calling the shot on what gets integrated into Linux or not by hiring every major contributor to Linux other than Linus.

Or you could just use gentoo where you can still run OpenRC.

Jokes on you, I don't have a WM.

>Getting this triggered over people using different Linux distros
When were you first diagnosed with autism?

Reading comprehension isn't your strongest point.

His is linux relevant here?

>This is entire their own fault for being a shitty, bloated OS that caters to people too dumb to wipe their own asses.

>Reading comprehension isn't your strongest point.
No u

>i don't like when microsoft adds telemetry to windows
>this means that i get triggered when other people use windows
wew

We're talking about Ubuntu
Thanks for proving my point

Is snapd the same package that causes the whole desktop to become unresponsive when steam is closed?

You are proving my point because you can't even comprehend simple comparisons.
Let me make this simpler for you:
>user doesn't understand why canonical still didn't get around to patching their distro
>this means that user is triggered when other people use ubuntu

>"new and improved" packaging approach daemon
>"new and improved" syslog daemon
>one fucks up something that wouldn't happen in a sane system
>second one fucks up in exactly the way the old system wouldn't
that's what you get for using software written by incompetent "devs" with heads up their asses
battle-tested code is worthless, they said
not-a-bug, they Poettered

If you want to do comparisons, you have to say "it's like saying" or "it's similar to".

What you did is like if we were talking about chemistry and then olive the sudden you said "my m&Ms melted". Without saying it was related to energy transfer between you and mummy snacks

Your first day on Sup Forums?

No u

Manjaro masterrace reporting

Ubuntu at it again
openSUSE is the real professional OS

I don't understand why people are hating on Majaro, ever since it was released Sup Forums was opposed to it.

Superiority breeds jealousy

Some anons value their security

Fedora is trash. Cant even render fonts properly.

>obnoxious
>smug
>kids
>hobby
>project
>""professional""
slap a new theme and a gui pkg manager
>look guise, we da best

this

>doesn't support systemd-less operation
>professional OS
can't wait till redhat introduces freedesktop support contracts
vendor-locked bootlickers, when will they learn

snap is shit, use appimages

Where mah ElementryOS niggers at?

>Not ubuntu LTS
Irrelevant. Thanks for testing.

still better than runing teamspeak3 .run installer without terminal and it spamming the logs to 100% disk space with "press y to agree to the license" making the system unresponsive untill you boot a live dvd and purge the logs.

>Using Ubuntu

>Using Snaps

And how does it know a log entry is a duplicate? It has to process them. And if you spam it with trillions of error messages it will burn your CPU.

>systemd
Looks like the anti-systemd folks were right again.

eh, did anyone expect it to turn out any other way?
these are the same kind of people that think ''legacy'' is somehow a pejorative

How is systemd supposed to solve the case where an application does something retarded?
At one point, there was a bug where sytemd, in debug mode, would spam messages to the linux kernel so fast it would stop the system from booting. Linus told systemd to fuck off and that it's not the kernel's job to stop software from being retarded.

No but journald was a mistake.

I don't disagree with that.
Back when I used Arch, journald would use massive amounts of disk space, ignoring my set limits, so I ended up just setting storage type to 'none' so it wouldn't do anything.
I have ascended and use Gentoo now, so I no longer have this issue.

>systyemd
>gnome
I think it's time to go back to readdit

Gnomefags must suffer.