Is it the end for Intel?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/zYRap#HGvuXnc
techspot.com/article/1556-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-performance-windows/
youtube.com/watch?v=JbhKUjPRk5Q
servethehome.com/red-hat-outlines-meltdown-spectre-patch-performance-impacts/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post ryzen results as a comparison

My SSDs were running a bit too fast and hot, anyways. Intel's always looking out for me and my hardware.

That's nothing op. Meanwhile, at epic games.

I need to buy a new cpu, because my current motherboard is fucked, and need now to upgrade.

I was just about to buy an i7 8700k. Should I still get it? Or wait for a price drop?

Ryzen2 is around the corner.

If you want to upgrade right NOW, go for 8700k. Don't dream about price drops, its not going to happen for Intel.

That game is aids, who cares.

Not me but who knows what's going on at other companies.

my dick

not him, but check these benchmarks of other server workloads kek

imgur.com/a/zYRap#HGvuXnc

i crash 10mins into any game, I'm not sure I can survive until ryzen2

>that game is aids
What game is it?

Some aids I bet. Fucking children.

Did you link the wrong person? Epic games is Fortnite, the free to play hue trash.

One of the Fortnite servers. The client is not affected directly but the servers are so people are having problems anyway lol.

Friendly reminder:
Intel Pentium G Series (G4560, G4600 (a.k.a. The King of the CPUs), etc...) is NOT AFFECTED. I repeat, G Series IS NOT AFFECTED.

>The King of the CPUs
King of corelets

BUY G4600, THE BEST CPU OF ALL TIME, WHILE IT'S PRICE IS STILL LOW AF.

Hum.

I was pretty sure the firmware fix would also hurt Intel performance. But this is worse than expected. I also think that these server performance regression s are not yet generally including the required firmware fix.

This is looking awful. Thanks, intel for insecure designs.
Not

See benchmarks, retard. It's not a 2005 anymore.

>the absolute state of intlel buglets

>kek
>imgur.com/a/zYRap#HGvuXnc
kek indeed

If it's core based, and not 1st gen, IT IS. Stop shilling disinfo faggot.

>It's not a 2005 anymore.
Why are you buying a shitty dual core cpu then?

So Ryzen ends up as the much better enterprise option while Intel stays the performance king for gaming and other desktop activities. I like this.

I guess thats why prices are rising then, huh

>Did you link the wrong person?
Nah I wanted to know what game it was.
>Epic games is Fortnite, the free to play hue trash.
An unfinished f2p, so literally nothing of value.

Something like that.

Bump. Media if u r looking for perf cost of this mess u need to benchmark after os patch AND firmware 'fix'

post the video or article, senpai

techspot.com/article/1556-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-performance-windows/

So the I/O heavy servers are fucked, home users will see only 3-5% drop in performance in games, more in I/O heavy tasks.

The combination used (i3 and 1080 Ti) smells a little fishy - I suppose that the percentage will go up if someone uses a weaker GPU in games, since there are parts of the code that are independent from the framerate.

We need more tests, especially for older CPUs.

>Intelcucks
>Corelets
>Housefire tier, delid and custom loop mandatory or burn to death.
>Depend on patches so meltdown don't anal probe the whole system
>Cucked out of NVME SSD
>Want to get the normal performance using RAID
>Cucked again with Intel® RAID activation keys ™

youtube.com/watch?v=JbhKUjPRk5Q

I'll run unpatched with zero fucks given.

However my work needing security is done via live Linux distros which don't write to disk on a T61 with no hard drive. Boot, buy shit via Ebay, reboot, do online banking, reboot, etc.

If you SELECTIVELY give up on security life is easy. Harden what needs hardening. Neuter IME so it cannot be used to crack the host OS. Use a classic Thinkpad for comms. Don't be the slowest zebra.

I'm eagerly awaiting cheap recent workstations and servers on Ebay as corps do emergency fleet replacements.

>I'll run unpatched with zero fucks given.
Said the man who's machine will get overrun with a bitcoin miner.

ok, so I should not update BIOS.
Spectre is extremely hard to use in practice anyway. Also chrome has build-in mitigation solution.

You have no idea how fucking mad I am. Worst thing is that I can't even afford switching to AMD right now.

>Boot, buy shit via Ebay, reboot, do online banking, reboot, etc.
All this can be done on your clean android smartphone

No, Intel is here to stay and amd isbstill shit just like always

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dumb Satanposter

sorry user

Holy shit, this is worst than I thought!

Oh, I can hear the screams of thousands DB admins crying out in pain.

You know the bug is also present in AMD and ARM chips, right?

I'm confused...
Why is the BIOS (firmware) update needed if Windows10 update fixed the vulnerabilities?

Don't you just need either update, not both? Are people vulnerable if their motherboard vendor doesn't issue an update? People with Sandy Bridge and Haswell CPUs aren't getting BIOS updates anymore.

>Why is the BIOS (firmware) update
Because mitigation of Spectre requires new CPU instruction that are added via microcode.
Microcode is added by firmware.

Fix that you're installed, in case of Meltdown, doesn't require firmware update.

Fixable with no performance drop, so it's not half as bad.

Why do you assume everyone is using Windows on their CPU?
Why do you assume it's okay to leave huge gaping security holes on a CPU and trust that every single OS is going to be patched effectively?
Furthermore, Windows patch does not cover everything.

>I HAVE TO DO WORK NOW?!?

>have to do work
>replace everything because Intel thought it would be fine to nuke I/O performance into last decade

>my PC was too fast anyway

>imgur.com/a/zYRap#HGvuXnc
Intel claims that the Pentium G series isn't affected.

Only 2 series of Pentiums apparently on.

It gets better.

>Intel claims that the Pentium G series isn't affected.
I gained a few fps in games, and about 15 points in cpuz, but now my hd7970 runs too hot.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

NOOOOOO

Wait for the Ryzen refresh. Only a month or so.

|
|>
|
|
|

>factoring completely fucked
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>Only a month or so.
For paper launch followed by few more months of wait and then out-of-stock till late fall-next winter

AMD is fixable with no performance drop.
With a simple If then else statement.
(Unlike Intel)

It's the mobos that are always out of stock, Ryzen rolled out quickly because of their godlike yields.

Sweet Intel tears

>Sandy Bridge will not see microcode updates
Farewell 2500K, hello Ryzen.

is this all a ploy to get people to upgrade because sandy bridge is still perfectly fine?

Coffee Lake is also affected

They're cut-down Core i3s so they're also fucked, dumbass
Next you're going to say
>Celeron Gs IS NOT AFFECTED
because it's not specifically listed

What I meant is that newer cpus will get patches, so everyone would need to update motherboards too. Kind of stupid that they would do that and risk everyone moving to AMD because they also ruined their new cpus too.

I was about to switch out my 2500K for an 8600K, but I guess I'm going to buy from AMD now

your gaymes and weeb shit aren't affected, retard

Multiple benchmarks online say otherwise fag

>so everyone would need to update motherboards too
Yes, that's Right.

It may cause an uproar in the motherboard market too.

>my OC gets into the collage

So which Ryzen should I get coming from Sandy Bridge? I have to admit the 16 thread models are tempting but outside of compiling and some random number generation I don't have a lot of compute-heavy needs.

>So which Ryzen should I ge
can you wait till March? CES will show Ryzen+ , March is most likely launch date

I guess, I just know that I have to upgrade because Intel won't patch my CPU.

Show some.

servethehome.com/red-hat-outlines-meltdown-spectre-patch-performance-impacts/

What city is this?

So it is ok to use intel processors with lower performing HDD and SSD's

Buying NVME drives with intel is pointless it seems.

If you want top of the line storage performance buy AMD

Stockholm syndrome in action

nope
me and the boys on Sup Forums are waiting for the pinpoint to go all in because Gayming and Intel are like peanut Butter and Jelly
once they jew themselves out of this we are gonna be rich

1700 is nice, the stock cooler is great too

>just bought one one the cyber monday deals
>prices rising
now I can sell it and purchase amd with the extra cash
thanks based intel

what the fuck did i say? i meant me and the boys on /biz/

Nvmes got btfo. Ssd are fine

Yes, I'll never buy another Intel processor--not just for personal use but I also pick out the hardware we use for our service offerings at one of the biggest corporations in the world.

Performance hit on windows is minimal for regular desktop or gaming. Mostly issues will be related to who needs several peripherals, use vms or compile, so desktop power users or programmers or linux doing same.

Windows also need you to update microcode on bios, which wasn't fully released by intel, and a massive imflux of bios updates may well end with a lot of bricked mobos making customers rvrn angrier

>cherry picked the one benchmark that didn't do well
>even the video creator said to take the results lightly until more can confirm these
>may just be a ASUS BIOS firmware issue
>can't test any other motherboards right now

These are NVMe ssds, 2.5" aren't affected.

Microcode can be delivered outside of firmware. It is on Linux.

nope

>cherry picked the one benchmark that didn't do well
How else would I get (You)s?
Posting from my 7700k and laughing.

Fake news, Atto does not represent actual workloads that are typically done on any storage device. It's a bad benchmark because it unrealistically stresses one thing at a time.

Still proves they're affected, schlomo.

No it doesn't. The downgrades are magnified to the point where they don't represent real life behavior. It puts most of the draw call tasks on the CPU rather than the controller in the SSD itself. That's not how SSDs function in the real world, it offloads some of those draw calls whenever possible.

There is no BIOS update for Ryzen.

>intel
>pricedrop
Never ever.

Yes, I know it's not representative. I'm just annoyed that people keep saying they're unaffected, because it makes it sound like they don't even use syscalls.

The effect is so small that they might as well claim that they're unaffected. There are no single-to-double-digit gimps that AMDrones are claiming. Most of the losses are less than a percent.

oyyyyyyyyyy veyyyyyyyyyy

There are price drops. Just go on ebay and pick from the 300+ pages of newly listed Intels