Question for non-native English speakers

Question for non-native English speakers.

What happens when you're watching a dubbed film and someone says something that's actually in your language?

Is it still dubbed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VCbW7Gkgu2U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It never happens except for that bit in the Charlie's Angels movie, and it would've been unintelligible without subtitles because the chicks couldn't pronounce anything right.

>Is it still dubbed?
yes. In most cases, non-Japanese's Japanese are too odd for us. We can't even understand them.

yes.

Usually it is very badly done, even in movies with high production values. Unless the actual actors are fluent, there is only so much you can do. Breaking Bad comes to mind. Gus is not Latin, and the Mexicans sound like Steven Segal speaking Spanish.

Everything is dubbed but they'll add English subtitles if the person was supposed to be speaking Japanese

>dubbed

>Is it still dubbed?

yes

Also this

It's either in Italian, Spanish or old French.

>implying it happens

No, we are too lazy, remember? If we can save a line we do it.

No, they choose tha language depending on the context.

For example in the italian gag of family guy Peter pretends to be able to speak a dialect (Probably neapolitan) instead of italian.

Depends of the movie. When they're mocking latinos who can't into english they either dub it into spanish with a really strong mexican accent, change it to some native american language or turn the character into a Brazillian. When the character is a Spaniard they either give him an andalusian accent or turn him into random southern European man from a country that isn't Spain.

They fuck it up, it is still dubbed and it sounds weird.

In Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, you've got Truffaut playing this Grench scientist - in the original dub he speaks French and his US interpreter translates.
In the French dub everyone is dubbed and his interpreter becomes his assistant who pretty much rephrases what Truffaut says.
Now this must sound retarded but it's actually pretty well done. Gotta say they knew how to dub back then.

Nope

I was super confused in this scene from saving private ryan where two soldiers are speaking czech....I thought wow these americans are assholes

Translation: please don't shoot me, I am not german, I am czech, I didnt kill anyone

Kek

youtu.be/VCbW7Gkgu2U

this. Everytime they will just get an american actor to recite dutch lines in whichever way they feel fit. Sounds like shit desu.

but Dutch is English 2.0.

HALLO. IK DRINK WATER EN EET BROOD.

How about that Samurai Champloo episode with the Dutch faggot?

>Duolingo inside

Is usually translated into French, Mexicans in movies of USA usually speak French and be all of Haiti.

Luckily they never dub movies here unless the movie is for little kids. Seriously, dubbing usually wrecks the whole movie

No.
And the German is very very bad in most cases.

I notice Russian soaps don't translate spoken English.

Subbed mostly, since i can't understand a thing if a foreigner speaks it.

Basically he says complex science stuff and the assistant puts it in layman's terms?

>alien language

I remember asking my Dutch friend about it. He said the Dutch crewman at the end who had only one line sounded like an actual Dutch and the faggot sounded like a... faggot. Japanese speaking Dutch as badly as Japanese who speak English in anime.

In the baseball episode they had two actual English speakers though. One even spoke decent Japanese.

Spanish in american movies is often mexican, so we just leave it like that. A mexican character will talk different than normal people after all.

In a different situation it depends on context and the will of the translators but for example spanish may be changed to english or another language that fits.

>big black guy in Japanese show
>overdubbed with a wimpy white guy

>watching anything dubbed