Why are motherboards still shipping with only 1 gig network?

Why are motherboards still shipping with only 1 gig network?
When are we gonna see 10Gbase-T for consumer networking?
Or better yet, Fibre

>Or better yet, Fibre
Lol kill yourself for even thinking this will EVER happen at the consumer level.

We already have motherboards with 10GbE and 2.5/5GbE
You're paying a premium for them though since most people don't even have 100mbps WAN, there isn't any real pressing need to have anything over 1GbE for the time being, those who need faster will just have to pay the premium to get the extra speed.

No real reason to make the average person pay $40+ more for a motherboard with 10GbE instead of 1GbE when they'll never notice the difference.

Diminishing returns. No normie is gonna need more than 1gbe connections tons to router and modems until multi gigabit internet connection speeds become the norm
And most people are switching g to wifi only these days

Because unless you know you need 10Gbit networking you don't need 10Gbit networking so manufacturers save cost.

I don't see routers with 10Gbiy networking in the mainstream either.

there are mobos with 10 Gbit network onboard. most people won't pay the extra money because 1 Gbit is plenty for them. duh how does a market work.

All I'm saying is we've had 1Gbit be the default standard for any mobo for quite a while now, and in that time we've had usb3, Sata III, m.2 etc.

I'm just disappointed that its not more common to have faster LAN betweens all these computers with really fast devices at each end.

10gig comes standard on some higher end consumer boards.

What the fuck are normies going to do with 10GbE?

Because most people still have shit internet.

Won't make a difference if consumer routers are still only gigabit

fuck you, I still got 2mb/s speeds for 100$ a month

>What the fuck are normies going to do with 10 Gbit USB3.1
>What the fuck are normies going to do with 40 Gbit Thunderbolt v3

Thunderbolt 3 actually has consumer use for external GPU docks and stuff

>Or better yet, Fibre
Will not happen on consumer boards as long as copper provides enough speed. Fiber is a bitch to work with.

>What the fuck are normies going to do with 10 Gbit USB3.1
External SSDs.

>What the fuck are normies going to do with 40 Gbit Thunderbolt v3
Docking stations and eGPUs.

But note the suspicious lack of widespread USB3.1 and Thunderbolt adoption. Few people need this.

Most new prosumer laptops and computers are shipping with thunderbolt 3. TB3 adaptation is far greater than anything TB1 and TB2 could have ever hoped to imagine because of USB-C

reminder that the Apple iMac Pro ships with 10GbE

>Fiber
Consumers will have no idea how to configure this.
FC is its own world.

What a fantastic deal!

So do many other higher-end workstation PCs, but that's not exactly "consumer networking".

FC =/= Fiber Channel
One is a medium, the other is a protocol.
Ethernet over Multimode fiber is piss easy. Just use the same (Q|S)FP(+) adapters on both sides and you're done. It's costly and useless for consumers though, unless you need 10GbE over a 300+ meter medium.

Fiber =/= Fiber Channel*
I' m retarded, sorry.

No Normie needed gigabit when it started being standard around 2004 either. It just got shipped in everything except the poverty-tier. No one had gigabit internet back then.

1g is enough for normies

Even power users/enthusiasts don't need it because what are you going to transfer within your home network that requires 10gbit connectivity?

It's really only useful for enterprise and for super niche workstations, in which case you're going to have a big expensive server with 10g nics too.

The next big push for 10g is going to be with wireless access points, now that AC wave 2 can get over 1g connectivity. But, normies are going to get an all in one modem/router/wireless combo so it's all going to be internal.

You can run Ethernet over fibre, don't have to use fibre channel

>Most new prosumer laptops and computers are shipping with thunderbolt 3
I don't see it. Sure, the newest T and X series memepads have Thunderbolt, but step down to L series and you get USB only. "Optional" on the newest Latitudes, whatever that means. Can't even find a single TB-equipped model among HP Probooks, and only a couple among Elitebooks.

That's because it was dirt cheap to manufacture and isn't cost much more than 100mbe, even then it took a while and most things were 100mve for the long gest time. 10gbe on the other hand isn't and needs significant demand before it falls in price to implement

>mid range laptops don't have it that means it's adoption is shit!
Compare how many higher end laptops have it now to the year before

Have you noticed that devices are getting less and less USB ports?

Consumers are buying port extenders and dongles out the ass to support everything, hell in some cases the manufacturers even provide them so you have multiple devices on a single 10g USB port.

So people throw on cameras, (multiple) external drives, etc and expect them all to work all at the same time. On a single port.

I can see a point for 10GB Ethernet but only for those who have large home servers. Backing up several TB (10+) over 1GB Ethernet takes several days and that's with zero data compression. (Full Images/Restores). As home servers and the data stored on them grow soon the weak link will be the Ethernet connection. Daily incremental backups don't take long, but when shit happens and you gotta restore all 8 - 10 - 20TB drive images over Ethernet then, watch as the time to complete climb.

Well a fast home server rather. If you use regular consumer drives they'll work at 70-140MB/s anyways, so ethernet limiting that to 110 isn't too bad.

10Gb is like 10x more complex and more expensive to manufacture. Also, I would think twice before buying 10Gb nic without active cooling. At 10Gb speeds that card is going to roast.

>since most people don't even have 100mbps WAN
Sucks to be murrican.

>Ethernet over Multimode fiber is piss easy. Just use the same (Q|S)FP(+) adapters on both sides and you're done.

Yeah, sure, if you use pre-made patch cables and nothing else. If you need to route a ton of fiber around the house, you're in for a LOT of pain - simply terminating a fiber with a connector is a process that involves epoxying, polishing and a bunch of specialized tools like a fiber cleaver and a microscope. And if something goes wrong with your fiber, you'll likely need a TDR and a splicer, both of which cost in the hundreds (or thousands if you buy AMERICAN)

>mid range laptops don't have it that means it's adoption is shit

Exactly that.
Look at what happened to Firewire.

Could go with Nic Teaming. Intel Nics are good at this. but all devices must support it though. Also requires twice as much cable.

No country in the world has an average broadband speed above 100mbps.

So sucks to live on earth I guess?

Terminating fiber does not require a fucking microscope

It does if you're doing it right.

Unless you have enough experience to polish the fiber well enough on first try, it does.

Partly reason why I run two raid arrays in my server instead of one large one. Less time required to backup plus my data isn't all in one basket so to speak.

yeah, just last year my isp offered the option of 100 mbps. cost me $80 + cost of cable. no thanks, bills are fucking high enough as is.

Polish?
As with tiny abrasive rocks? What is this the stone age!?

Take it to the next level and just use a SEM with FIB mount. Shave the contact surfaces down to the atomic level with a tight ion beam then fuse with weld zone smaller then the wavelength of light use so it won't interfere with your signal at all.

Adoption rate dingus. It starts at the high end and trickles down. Memewire never moved past Macbooks and some Thinkpads, and people only used them for audio equipment at best so a really niche use
Thunderbolt can be used to turn a laptop into a desktop with just 1 connector that's already being implemented everywhere, manufacturers just need to add a controller that let's USB-C access some PCIe lanes. It's all existing stuff and easy to implement unlike Firewire

Most end users don't do a lot on their local network and their WAN speed is usually no more than 100-200 Mb/s. 10Gb NICs would be wasted in these scenarios which account for the overwhelming majority of end users. Also, many end users are using wireless which for the majority of hardware in the wild is limited to less than 1Gb/s.

>10Gbit USB3.1
Transfer files in a reasonable amount of time
>40Gbit Thunderbolt
Displays use a lot of bandwidth

Old tech has to pay off its development costs before new one is introduced and so on. Same goes with pharmaceuticals - it is not until old med earn enough shekels to cover the R&D costs before a new one goes in to the market.

Wah wah wah.

Cam locks for the cheap.
I just borrow the fuser from work if I wanna fuse but it's overkill.
Power meter over multimode in a house works just fine. Otdrs are for long distances anyways. There's always reflection at the junction.

Bro do u even fiber? It's piss easy.