/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/oppo-pm3.php
ebay.com/itm/Stax-Lambda-Nova-Signature-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-Headphones-Custom-pads/332516193222?epid=8012986612&hash=item4d6b8273c6:g:dJ4AAOSwXOVaYpLq
ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-STAX-ear-pad-EP-234GR-for-SR-303-Airmail-with-Tracking/301957695849?hash=item464e14c969:g:0U0AAOSwYmZXOOXT
head-fi.org/threads/srm-252s-stax-amplifier.870038/
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Brainwavz HM5 on massdrop for 75 dollars, worth it? What can one expect?

NVX XPT100 are cheaper on Amazon and sound exactly the same.

FLAC Internet Radio: chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

God, more of this please.
Also, Sony MDR-V6. Yah or Nah for production

What DAC are you using for Stax?

The one in is a 8x tda1543 nos dac like $50 from China

Picrelated is Denafrips Ares

I have soekris dam1021 and audio-gd nfb-1 2015

Hifiman Shangri la is better

All of those DACs match well with electrostatic btw

here's my setup idol trash!

nice wooden vape you fag

This is a public service announcement to not buy Schiit products. Thank you for your time.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Reading manga while listening to idols on HD600|JBL. Living the good life I see.
PEBCAK, every last one of them.

>PEBCAK, every last one of them.

>So recently I was listening to some music using my Fulla 2, and when I went to turn the volume knob up a little bit the right channel suddenly got VERY loud and the audio starting cutting in and out, accompanied with bolts of harsh static noise. I went ahead and sent Schiit an email about this.
>After some fiddling around, with the volume in Windows set to 5 as not to blow my eardrums or my headphones, I found that picking up the Fulla and rocking it side to side recreates the static and extreme sudden loudness, as well as lightly pressing the volume knob towards the right. In fact any light impact I make on the Fulla sets it off, even tapping it. So it seems to be something physically loose/broken perhaps? I'm not familiar with what could be going on here, and it was working fine a day ago. If I'm unable to send it in for repairs is there anything I could possibly do?

Do you understand what PEBCAK means? Because to me it sounds like faulty product, regardless of whether this post is actually true and not bad PR move from competition. I'm not going to judge, I don't give a fuck.

Looked over the links in the OP but I'm still unsure on what to buy. Probably been asked a million times but what amp/DAC is recommended to get with DT770-PROs (assuming I get the 80 ohm ones)?

>What's your setup like, user?
Schiit Modi and Magni Uber 2, Sennheiser HD650.
Two weeks ago I got Stax SR-L700 and 353X amplifier, and been relistening to my favorite music almost non-stop.

S T A X

In the fulla2, the pot is on the audio signal directly in order to preserve it as well as possible vs having a separate circuit (eg: a transistor) act on it. So, a little glitchyness is expected. However, it is a pretty damn good pot they're using in there, but it's not like they don't just buy the pot. It's just a part. A dud part can happen. Warranty is there for that reason. Fulla 2's got a year, plus the usual test period Schiit offers.
I don't see how Schiit is to blame here. It wasn't even a dud on arrival here, but did only manifest later, so of course it passed QC.

which stax is this ?

SR-303 + SRM-313

Okay, that is still not a PEBCAK. It's a faulty product.

Whoah, aren't you maki-user?
Stax, eh? How nice.
The real problem is how the user dealt with it.
If I got a faulty product, I'd just ship it back and get a replacement or a refund.
But this user instead chose to go rant on plebbit about "schiit destroying my ears!" or what not.

my fulla 2 works fine!

So does mine.

Last week I bought a new DAC, It's an Audio-GD R2R 11. It sounds good but since two days ago suddenly I hear a single clicking noise everytime I play a video, song or launch a game. It's very minor but it annoys the fuck out of me, everything was good when I bought this thing and all of the sudden there's this. Sometimes I can even hear a click/distortion during a song which is really bad. I know for sure it has to do with my DAC because when I put other headphones in the DAC the clicking is still there, and when I plug headphones directly into my motherboard there are no clicks.

Things I've tried so far:
>tried all different sample rates
>reinstalled USB driver
>checked DPC latecy (1000 constant, no spikes)
>bought an optical cable and used that instead of the USB cable - this caused different but similar issues. It would still click when I start something up, but less frequently. The noise sounds different though, more annoying. It would also randomly disable my audio, I would have to turn my DAC off and on again and it would be back.

How the fuck do I fix this?

Probably usb port power management. Tried to reproduce the issue on Linux? On another PC?

Try to reproduce the issue on another computer. If it does the same thing it's most likely your chink DAC that's flawed.

Mine 3. As I said a couple threads ago the manchild is shaking the damn thing
Maybe the dac is defective? Try writing audio gd or try a different dac

Are you me?
Rare to see an SRM-1/MK-2.

Is there a point in getting a headphone amp/decent dac if all I'm doing is listening to music on apple music through my mac? i have a pair of decent headphones just not sure I'll hear much improvement.

only if you want too.

That's not what im asking...would there be an increase in quality or would i just be wasting my money?

It'd depend on the headphones, dac and amp.

is buying cheap used vintage 80's Stax headphones worth the trouble?

Yes

I have a pair of oppo pm-3s

>102.0 dB SPL/mW
>23 Ohm vendor-stated impedance
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/oppo-pm3.php
Impedance seems more like 30 Ohm, but it's pretty flat so output impedance shouldn't matter much. 102 dB/mW is very efficient, too.
You'd probably barely get any improvement if at all with these headphones. Then again, I do not know if apple's audio outputs are any good; They might be very noisy or lowpassed or some other flaw.

Any sources on what models to look for, what models to avoid, what prices to expect? I know it's quite niche, but I'm curious.

Yes, but bear in mind that these are old old headphones.

40, 50, or in the case of my oldest, nearly 60 years old.

Often times they will begin developing problems shortly after usage, the pads will be worn down and uncomfortable, etc....

Of those pictures, the electrets and the sr-x I know have a faulty solder/cable issue, and are an easy fix, the white ones are weirder, one of the cups intermittently goes out, but only after being used for an hour or two.

The IEMs work fine.
The sr202s needed to be refoamed, cable replaced, and a brand new head band printed. They are almost fully operational again.

I had another stax electret, and sr-30 come in recently from a friend, that had a bad cable/solder in both cups, redid the wire there and it was good to go. Already shipped that one out or it'd be in the image.

Point is, all these models except the sr202 were advertised as fully working by the sellers, but then developed issues 1-2 years down the road of normal, heavy usage.

They do however, sound great.

I'd say up there with an HD600.

Are you saying the headphones are whack?...or there's literally nothing i can do to get the best out of the quality?

Let's fuck.

Also don't heat up ur drivers.

should i order a magni 3 as my first amp

I was considering the HD600 before, actually. Hm.

>MDR-V6
Heard the 7506 is better for production.
But someone here can probably give you more information.

chiru.no approved

I'm saying that due to stable impedance and high efficiency, they aren't affected by output impedance nor need much power from the source, and thus, are likely to sound the same plugged anywhere.
If what you want is different sound, I'd suggest buying new headphones. That does make the most difference, a world more difference than amps and dacs. Go with something open this time around. I suggest HD600 if you can afford it.

Here's the electrets.

BTW,

I completely missed your post, if you happen to read this, I like the SR-003s quite a lot. Very tight bass. Uncomfortable as fuck with the default buds though, so I made foam ones.

1. The amp is the biggest barrier to entry. Once you have that, you're good. Look for something that has a pro bias output. If you want the real vintage shit, get one that has a normal bias output as well. Good models with both pro and normal bias: SRM-313, SRM-T1, SRM-006t, SRM-007t. Try to keep it under $400.
2. From measurements, most STAX stuff should sound pretty similar. Look for the big boxy ones like the ones in my pic . Those are pretty much all good. For older stuff, consult the other user. I haven't done much research into non-rectangular STAX.
thanks senpai

If you are comfortable soldering and rewiring, then you can fix the the biggest risk.

Of the 8 or so used stax I've purchased, only 2 has had problems beyond solder issues on the wire.

And for one of those, the SR-202, I knew about the foam issue when buying.
Didn't expect the headband to snap after a year or so of use though.

Don't forget the SRM-1/Mk2, not only was it the cheapest amp when I looked years ago, but it has both pro, and normal outputs.

SRD-X pro energizers will also work, and are portable.
But that's an energizer vs an amp.

What good DAC would you recommend for a noob ? Preferably cheap like 100-150

Or less*

Unfortunately, the only thing I could afford at this time and is available is a $80 SR-30 + SRD-4 set - working, but with the headband already glued together. Guess I have to wait.

Poorfag electrostatic setup:

ebay.com/itm/Stax-Lambda-Nova-Signature-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-Headphones-Custom-pads/332516193222?epid=8012986612&hash=item4d6b8273c6:g:dJ4AAOSwXOVaYpLq

ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-STAX-ear-pad-EP-234GR-for-SR-303-Airmail-with-Tracking/301957695849?hash=item464e14c969:g:0U0AAOSwYmZXOOXT

head-fi.org/threads/srm-252s-stax-amplifier.870038/

You can upgrade the amp and get a good DAC for a high end setup.

audioengine d1

Also I want to say that this is the worst used headphone listing I've ever seen, so I linked ear pads.

FYI, the SR-30 are baby stax.
They are electrets, not e-stats.

They still sound great though, but not as good as e-stats.

I'm also not convinced you even need the SRD-4 for those, I think it's just a switch box.

WTF were they thinking with those pads.

I don't think I can afford the true power of the Stax, then. Eastern Europe and all.

I knew I was forgetting one. Is there actually a difference between STAX amps? I mean, I got a good fucking deal but if there wasn't an audible difference I might have gone for the SRS-3100 instead of what I have now.

If the seller replaced the pads, he could get $500 for that LNS.

I don't believe there is a difference.

People have claimed that with the higher end sr-007 and sr-009, amp matters a lot.

I can't speak to that.

I own an SRD-007 energizer, a SRD-X energizer, and my SRM-1/Mk2.
(And a SRD-4, but I don't count that.)

With my SR-202 and SR-313, I don't believe there is a significant difference between the latter two. Nothing I can reliable pinpoint.

With the rest of my collection, I can't tell the difference between all the normal outputs.

I also believe this still applies to Stax amps tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm.

So that leads me to conclude that there is no point in getting a amp vs a pro biased energizer, much less a better amp.

More power = more bass

Unfortunately, a good stax amp is around $1000. I hear the chinese KGSS clone is good though.

just a dac?
topping d30
OL DAC

Yeah, that's what I was suspecting. The amplets (SRM252s and the like) have to be different somehow though.

My only problem with energizers is that you need a clean speaker amp to run them, which is another piece of gear and another box on the desk.
My SRM313 produces enough bass to be very satisfying. I've never found better amping to affect bass response excluding output impedance.

>btw I smoke weed, guys
kys

The low-end electrostatic amps are all around the same. KGSS-level amps are in another league.

Are there measurements supporting this claim?

Just go to a meet and listen to a KGSS. You could bring your headphones.

If I ever get the chance to set up a volume matched double blind test, I will. For now, I will remain doubting.

>The amplets (SRM252s and the like) have to be different somehow though.

There's more efficient than old type-A/B amps like the SRM-1, and Staxes higher end, non tube amps.

Beyond that, and raw output volume, I don't believe there is a difference.

They are cheaper/smaller, and you know how audiophiles get.

On the other hand,
I haven't tried KGSS-level amps.
I'm doubtful if they are actually better, especially if you're just using sr-313/sr-202s.

That said, I'm a lot more willing to accept them as making a difference for SR-007/SR-009 than any of the different stax solid state amps sounding different.

BTW, I popped open my SRD-04. There's a resistor per channel, what appears to be a thermresistor acting as a fuse, and a large inductor? per channel.
I'm 80% sure that if you just hooked the stax directly up to a speaker amp, and made sure not to turn it up too high, it'd work fine.

>They are cheaper/smaller, and you know how audiophiles get.
Everything needs to be thicc/fat for the true audiophile aesthetic.

Somebody recommend me some cheap cable risers already, fucking cunts.

me face when

I found SR-Gammas with 230V normal bias for about $200. Is this something worth getting into?

>SR-Gammas for 200
Absolutely.
Just make sure they are in working condition.

The main worry with these old stax is the cable going.
If you can solder, they are not hard to replace.

Massdrop replied and is giving me a replacement.

BASED MASSDROP

You're probably better off finding a SR-Lambda normal bias for $250-$300.

replacement part or whole headphone?

Told you user! Nothing to worry about. Now that they alrady agreed to do it, be honest what'd you do

headphones
I'll have to send these back, obviously.

They also offered a full refund.

They fell off the stand Onto my carpet floor.

Well then, I guess it's a few months of searching around offers now.

598s user here. Schiit canceled my fulla 2 and I ordered a Magni 3 instead. Im excited!

as usual the gymbal snap meme is something from either gravity, or being stuffed into a backpack, or w/e.

Much excitement!
For the 598, fulla2 and magni3 will probably sound identical, but once you get your first men's headphones (HD600) it'll matter a great deal.

>he actually ordered Grados

Literally free fidelity (well more like $3 on aliexpress)

so let's say I bought an sr-001mk2 for $150 and the portable amp it came with is 250vrms with 54db gain vs the 280vrms / 58dB gain on the srm-252. am I good to go after making an adapter cable for pro bias for ~$100? or should I get a better energizer

What does /hpg/ think of the sennheiser pxc 550?

>Sennheiser
The best headphone brand. They're probably excellent.

?

Adapter to what?

I also have a magni 3 on the way! I'm gonna use my fulla as a dac
Pc37x

You're probably good in terms of volume. SRM313 is max 350V and I rarely put it past halfway.

Oh, I see.

I doubt you'd need a better energizer, the srm-252 is quite nice.

As long as the only difference between the sr-001mk2 plug and the normal plug is the physical wires, you should be good to go.

In order of lower to higher cost
>Behringer UMC204HD (Use just the dac, everything else is garbage)
>JDS OL DAC
>Topping D30

otherway around, lambda on the portable energizer. they are both pro bias it's just the plugs are different, wiring is the same

Then same thing, you'll have a slightly lower max volume, but that won't matter much unless you're deaf, or trying to go deaf.

The Topping D30 is one of the best dac's out there

what happens on a stax energizer when you increase voltage on the input?

Volume mainly.