/pcbg/- PC Building General

Last thread reaching critical mass
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BlHvjx6F1iY
youtube.com/watch?v=u0zq5uVdBsE
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025212&cm_re=monitor-_-24-025-212-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335&cm_re=monitor-_-24-236-335-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160158&ignorebbr=1
amazon.com/dp/B0747W15QL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_.5lzAbGQK0P3A
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119032&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards - Intel-_-N82E16813119032&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhF1QKQvOvsJdTrU2snpahYhv9WuYgMklUDuE1sIZd4dU7LCEz76AvYaAkezEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317280-REG/aoc_27_ag271qg_high_performance_gaming.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to build a top end Linux PC

I'll buy probably the best AMD CPU - especially after spectre/meltdown

However which GPU should i try to get that works best with Linux?

I want to do pci-e passthrough so i can run a windows guest OS occasionally to play video games with friends.

So I have a ZOTAC GTX 1070, and I've been trying to test with Killing Floor 2 because I feel like I'm getting way worse performance than should be getting. Pic related is my FPS when playing with everything on lowest settings.
Could any of my other hardware be bottle-necking it?

Notable specs:
>Intel i5-3570k
>ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (Socket 1155 chipset)
>GTX 660ti (old GPU used for physx because wanted less stress on 1070)
>24GB DDR3 666 MHz RAM
>Windows 7 Ultimate (non-genuine because installed GPT)

Was going to ask in /sqt/ but then figured this thread would be more appropriate.

are you sure the 1070 is the primary rendering card? Maybe not use the 660ti at all. You dont need a separate card for Physx that sillyness went away a while ago.

Bet if you ran rivatuner statistics the 660ti would be maxed out while the 1070s doing nothing.

just pull out the 660, bam play on ultra

On pcpartpicker, is it possible to search for builds containing specific parts?

nvm, I found it

>check link in OP pic related
>404 not found

missed opportunity for a good troll

Im getting an operating system not found error on a build I finished earlier today. What did I fuck up?

>mfw i can only get my 3200mhz ram to 2666mhz stable on my ab350m pro4

use hardware info64 and see what is getting used

Posting because I want to make sure my choices are efficient:

Budget: lower than this if possible but if not okay
Uses: Mid-Light gaming, photo editing
Monitors: 1080p

I'd invest in a bigger PSU if I were you, at least 550W

Answer plos

okie doke.

The only other thing I was really unsure of was my motherboard.

Totally legit im sure, awaiting his response now

1050ti is great for 1080p youll have no issues at 720p

Yes, it works great for 1080p so you should be covered
youtube.com/watch?v=BlHvjx6F1iY

>hardware info64
You haven't needed a Physx card in years. KF2 probably doesn't even have Physx.

>are you sure the 1070 is the primary rendering card?
Yes, I've disabled the 660ti entirely in device manager to be certain, so my 1070 is definitely the primary device. I'm not too familiar Rivatuner, so I don't quite know how to see if the 660ti is maxed out. I know that when I just have the 1070 take on physx, I get worse performance.

I have it open, what exactly do you want me to show?

It does, and it REALLY hits on performance.

This guy gets 80 fps on his i5 4690k so i think your fps is correct. youtube.com/watch?v=u0zq5uVdBsE
Have you tried with any other games?

I have recently only tried emulation with Cemu, but I know that my CPU is certainly the weak link in that regard, so the performance is subpar. Don't know any other games to really test with.

with my 1080ti and 4770 i get dips into low 50s on medium-high settings.

Its a CPU intensive game when theres a lot of explosions and dismemberment happening on screen

Yeah, I think I'm starting to see that. My CPU and Motherboard are the only two things I haven't upgraded from initially building the PC, and some ports on the mobo are getting faulty, so I think it's a good time to upgrade.

I'm going to have to do some research on CPUs again though. It sounds like everyone is saying AMD is the go-to brand with Ryzen now, but I've just not kept caught up.

When the new set of gpus come out eventually™, how much can we reasonably expect prices of current cards to drop?
Is it reasonable to build for a 1080ti now, and throw a 1050 in, then buy the card later when it's not as expensive.
Or would that just end up costing the same, in the long run, as buying the 1080ti now, assuming of course you can actually find one at a reasonable price?

Just brought a x34 predator, anything I should know before setting it up

Last time I checked, this is a free market in a democracy. If you cant afford whatever the price of a high end GPU right now, then you dont need to be building expensive PCs just to waste time on games. Fucking cry babies, cant wait for the real world to keep on teaching you such lessons.

plug it into the PC, then plug it into the wall

turn it on

I'd been putting off replacing the stock cooler on my i7-930 forever, but the temps finally caused the PC to shutdown when they went over 100degrees. Replaced it with a cooler master liquid AIO 240mm and now I can't get it past 51degrees . Might overclock it to 3.6ghz

Trying to build a gaming pc for the first time, what's the best CPU to go with a 1070?

>AMD is the go-to brand with Ryzen now
Is this true?
also checked

wtf 1070 $800USD?

1080 is $800AUD here in aus. You poor, poor americans

Completely overhauled my PC except Form my GPU because prices.
Ryzen 5 1600
960 GTX 4gb
b350 gaming plus mobo

Now I noticed everything still looks like shit because I ignored that my monitor is shit, but now Im kinda outta funds.

I have about 150 bucks to spend, possibly up to 200. Any recs?

apparently there is a shortage? IDK.

Ryzen is better low and mid tier value due to motherboards being cheap.

Intel has the top segment post, but their business practices have gotten more sketchy as of late.
>Intel CEO selling out his shares one week before announcing meltdown and spectre
>everything below coffee lake got a considerable performance hit with the new security patches
>released coffee lake months before its original release date and below launch pricing just to deny AMD sales

The i7-8700k is hands down the best performing cpu for gaming, but I wouldn't buy it nor its brothers since Intel may cut its performance in the future if another meltdown came around and they decide to skip out on its support just to create an incentive to upgrade.

I use Asus MX monitors, the 1080p ones should be in your budget.

why aren't people mining in muh gold ridden austraylayar

Those are all north of 230. no can do, but ty for the rec

lg 25" 2560x1080 Onsale for $150 + code for a few more dollars off

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025212&cm_re=monitor-_-24-025-212-_-Product

24" Asus IPS 500 reviews 4 eggs

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335&cm_re=monitor-_-24-236-335-_-Product

CPU: SkyLake Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX All in one Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Computer ATX Z170A GAMING M3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
Storage: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda with Windows 10
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W

is this build worth getting for 800 usd?

This kid has a better rig than you

>can't even afford a full case

1/10

Those seem a little too good to be true

>2 1080 TIs
>minecraft

why even bother?

>not even an ultra hd texture pack

even if you had an ultra HD pack you don't need 11Gbs of vram to run it

who cares, he's rich

It must be wireless GPU, considering he's running Minecraft before they're installed

its newegg.com not some Chinese knockoff site, youve never heard of newegg?

>build new PC totalling about $3.5k
>really enjoyed building it
>gaming was revitalised for about 2 weeks
>now everything is boring again and I'm back to the same old games
Shall I just sell it and build another one once prices drop and volta etc release later this year? I genuinely enjoyed the part picking and building process but gaming is more or less dead to me now

I had pic related for a few months, sold it with my rig, ended up grabbing mine at Microcenter for a bit less

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160158&ignorebbr=1

1080p IPS panels have become the norm, so prices came down quite a bit, same with budget televisions.

is 144hz a meme or should I keep looking for a good 1440p IPS screen with it?

How much should I sell my fx6300/950/8gb ram rig to my (good) friend for - it's collecting dust and he doesn't have a pc

Its the biggest single upgrade difference I've ever experienced

So with the current prices of gpus this is a pretty good but right? amazon.com/dp/B0747W15QL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_.5lzAbGQK0P3A

SLI is a dead meme.

You need top tier shit to use it to its full potential, but it's very good, especially with FreeSync/GSync.

What's the best price for a 1440p/144hz/IPS screen with g-sync?

You seem jealous

600 USD

Funnny

Am I retarded or am I just not finding one for less than seven-hundred.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Get the viewsonic or agon. Asus is shit

There's a special place in hell for these mining fucks, even the 1050 and 560 are overpriced

Are they on sale?

There did seem to be a daily one at best but but it looks like it's sold out now

*best buy, fuck

Just finished my first build.
I know:
>8GB RAM
I will upgrade later, right now it is way too expensive, same with a GPU, and given I only play Overwatch anymore I am fine with the 1060.
I have an HDD lying around but right now I just wanna mess around and add it later.
What is some of the stuff I should do? I know OCing my RAM is a must, I bought a 3000MHz set, but my MOBO said it was only 2133.

Watcha guys think?
basically I could upgrade for 1080 gaming right now this way:

My old gtx 770 solds in my country market for
130-160 usd

An 1060 6gb sells for 260 usd, so I would just pay ~100 to upgrade from 770 to 1060 2gb to 6gb vram

I didn't mean the prices, was more reffering to the feats the monitors themselves promise. Those seem pretty big for something in that price range. Do they hold up promises?

And I'm EU, not NA so I didn't know the site. Do they ship to Central Europe?

>OCing my RAM is a must, I bought a 3000MHz set, but my MOBO said it was only 2133

Go into your BIOS and find your RAM settings, enable XMP profile. Should autodetect native RAM frequency. At that point, you are not overclocking your RAM, you are using it at its rated frequency and timings. If you try to go over that and/or drop the timings (especially if you have to goose the voltage), THEN you would be overclocking it.

8 GB is fine (for your stated use) if you're not behaving like a retard. You would need to be running virtualizations (plural) to really "need" it. If you run dry on RAM, time to learn how to tweak your system and software and not let garbage run in the background.

Is this good?

8700k or 1800x for gay ming? They’re the same price

R7 1700 and oc it

Or the 8700k since its the highest performing cpu on the market for gaming. Don't go 1800x though.

Adata is decent, but around the same price range as that you could get a Samsung SSD

Any good portrait viewable monitors for around $150-$200? Mostly will use it for browsing sites and reading manga

I would go 8700k, but 1700 works,

Got a mobo recommendation? Also is it still really good even though there’s a meltdown?

Where I live Adata is the only SSD brand in that price range, everything else is overpriced garbage.

I'm a retard and didn't do much research.

Looking to spend less than $1500 on a headless server. No GPU, just a decent CPU and some storage.

Should I aim for an AMD Ryzen or Intel i7 build?

patches do little to the 8th gen k series. Its only become more noticeable with skylake. whats your budget on the mobo?

How much storage? That could determine how powerful of a CPU you can afford.

i'd say this is nice

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119032&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards - Intel-_-N82E16813119032&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhF1QKQvOvsJdTrU2snpahYhv9WuYgMklUDuE1sIZd4dU7LCEz76AvYaAkezEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And you can save money by getting the non-wifi one.

Oh excellent that’s the same one I was just looking at

I'd like to backup/support 2.5TB+. I realize that it's not a lot, so I don't need a ton of space.

Should I go for a hardware RAID and offload that work, or just do software?

I can only remember issues that I've had with some Dell PERC cards, LVM, and other storage through work. I want to pick what's good for me now.

yes, if you dont want it.

Nah I don’t need WiFi that’s for poor people who hate having good connection

If you’re still here, one more question. What ram should I go with?

I have a spare 780 and really want to make a ghetto system (cheapish) for my little brother.
So I need some good value, preferably used what to look for?

Update BIOS if you haven't

forgot to add this, I found an x58 motherboard that is compatible with X5650 for roughly $150

$600 for this
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317280-REG/aoc_27_ag271qg_high_performance_gaming.html

One way to do this is to look for used cheap media/home desktop pcs and just reuse the mobo/cpu/ram and put it in a new case that can fit a full size gpu.

All you need is a system with an i5 in it and a pcie slot.

>not buying a prebuilt

You can buy a whole setup for the cost of a GPU

Progress.

But HELP.

Why a case with that much HDD racks?

I have two SSDs, two HDDs from laptops I plan to move over to this, and two external hard drives I can crack open and use as internal storage.