inconsolation.wordpress.com/
github.com/hackerb9/lsix
github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
st.suckless.org/patches/scrollback/
viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/
kotchan.org/chat/int
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Transmission-daemon/remote-cli is cool.
Can you run Transmission ncurses standalone? (without the daemon thing)?

>God tier
st

>excellent tier
rxvt and rxvt-unicoe

>okay tier
xterm

>shit tier
Any of the default ones that come with a DE

>Why bother tier
Any terminal not listed

>Mister God tier
rxvt-unicode daemon/client

music and videos: MOC (Music On Console), MPlayer (video player), imagemagick (picture converter, wallpaper, screenshot application), ffmpeg (video converter, screencasting application)

communication: Mutt (for e-mail), irssi (for IRC), newsbeuter (for RSS newsfeed and to save youtube channels)

work: vim (text editor), hnb (outliner, wiki and xml editor), LPR (send documents to print without CUPS), SC-IM (spreadsheet compatible with xlsx), WordGrinder (word processor compatible with ODT files), Pandoc (document converter), catdoc (xls2csv, catppt, wordview, can convert to plaintext various MS formats), dict (offline dictionary), fbpdf/fimgs (e-book viewer), kpcli (to store passwords)

inconsolation.wordpress.com/

>Abandon hope all ye who enter here
>okay tier
crikey mate

So what is the big difference? Why should I use XTerm or e.g. Tilix instead of just the Terminal?

i only use terminal as a browser

xterm is better than some people here say, it supports cool stuff like sixels github.com/hackerb9/lsix

>General
This isn't fucking reddit

Instead of posting something meaningful, I'm going to sage because of what you did in the subject field.
Remove yourself.

Termite

The entire board is filled with generals - stop being a whiny little bunt

I bet "your favorite terminal" can even draw a poop emoji pleb.

stop this fucking meme of getting retards to use substandard terminals that can't even do unicode 6+ properly.

it's also pretty decently fast too unlike the seemingly overly loved rxvt-unicode shit term.

general format is poo
well if you're considering xterm, i'd suggest urxvt instead because it has better unicode, scripting, and extension support. if you're happy with your current terminal then stick with it

neofetch boosts my sex drive

ANOTHER FUCKING GENERAL?

Alacritty!

Sheep.

github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty

Switched to this terminal everywhere. Doesn't rely on VTE shit, uses OGL for rendering and I like it.

Eshell niggers. All else is shit. Eshell is actually designed to be a modern and effective command line environment, instead of emulating warts of old ass terminals.

I use gnome terminal

It displays text, and I can easily make it semi-transparent.

Is there some functionality I'm missing by not using a 1337er text printer/recepticle?

emacs is the king of terminals

Can't even run htop properly.

Nice list. I have some suggestions if you like.
>MOC
cmus
>MPlayer
mpv
>Mutt
neomutt
>irssi
weechat
>newsbeuter
newsboat (actively maintained fork)
>vim
neovim
>kpcli
pass

Isn't neovim just a meme? Vim doesn't need to be rewritten.

lets make it simple

>ok, getting better
st
>bloated shit from the past tier
every other terminal

why would you want to? the point is not to run your shitty ncurses crap on it.

let's make it even simpler

>retarded suckless choice
st
>actually usable terminals
almost all the others

Since this thread is full of NEETS that can't even use the (better)default terminal, I'm gonna contribute some actual good programs:
ffmpeg (of course)
youtube-dl
imagemagick
cmus (music player)
mutt (email)
octave-cli (scientific computing)
aptitude (apt interface)

I'm probably missing some that I'll remember right when I post this but whatever

this really should just be /tcg/ or /clig/ because the majority of the programs discussed in this thread will run on *BSD, Windows bash, and MacOS.

I'd vote for /clig/ the board is already leaning twards Linux, just assume bash unless someone mentions otherwise.

Terminal emus:
qterminal
Konsole/Konsolepart

CLI Programs:
mpsyt
zile
and of course:
emerge

>the point is to break some program

>aptitude
if you need an interface, why not go full GUI? apt commandline is perfectly usable

Konsole.

I like aptitude for browsing the packages. For everything else I use the traditional CLI.
I don't go full GUI because I like ncurses, its faster and it runs on the terminal.

Yakuake is best

Guake is the best terminal emulator. All others are varying degrees of making life harder for yourself for e-cred.

I don't use it myself, but I've heard it's quite good.

You need to be better than "quite good" to replace vim.
I don't think it needs to be fixed to be honest. This rewrite is pointless.

NeoVIM is only interesting if you're going to use a semantically driven code completion thing.

I don't think NeoMutt is doing much any more either.

st is goat
Especially since it has TRUECOLOUR

fair, i usually know what packages i need (or i use search/info) so i just find it less intuitive

>st
>4 patches just to enable scrolling

st.suckless.org/patches/scrollback/

embarrassing, use a real terminal and not some hobby project for autists

>needing scrolling
that said, i use urxvt

GNU Screen.
iftop
iotop
slabtop
systemd-cgtop

>st
>doesn't even fucking have scrolling
>requires recompiling to fucking change the font (so i need sudo to change my theme? nice)
Reminder that suckless is a stupid fucking ideology and that there's literally nothing wrong with using GNOME Terminal.

>screen, not tmux
>top, not htop
>systemd-anything, ever

Bloat

/clit/?

There's nothing wrong with using Gnome Terminal by itself. There is a lot wrong with tying your terminal multiplexer to your GUI process though.
> he needs to be root to install a program
Think I can see why Suckless isn't working out.

>implying Sup Forums knows how the terminal subsystem actually works

viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/

Daily reminder that \r\n is the correct choice

I unironically use the xfce4-terminal on my Arch + Awesome installs. It's just a no-bullshit lightweight and even decently customizable little terminal emulator.

People are also trying to rewrite emacs. Someone pointer that out to me when I asked how emacs worked and said it was being done to understand how emacs works.

People are also trying to rewrite emacs. Someone pointer that out to me when I asked how emacs worked and said it was being done to understand how emacs works.

Why not just read the source of Emacs? I don't understand the point of rewriting it?

this. Its not as lightweight in terms of RAM usage but its fast as fuck.

kotchan.org/chat/int

I dunno, apparently the source sucks. Based on my previous experiences trying to contribute to GNU software, I took their word for it.

I dunno, apparently the source sucks. Based on my previous experiences trying to contribute to GNU software, I took their word for it.

You can change the font with flag -f

no, its a server/client architecture, the daemon is the server (the program that does all the work)
and are you talking about the python ncurses client? it starts slowing down with 500+ torrents, so give the non ncurses a try, its pretty good and easy to use after you get the gist of it