/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
eng.soomal.com/edoc/10100000054.htm
koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/kph30i
amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE
amazon.com/dp/B00UG7QMPO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I38L45YINGUYEO&colid=238M0BCDB2JI7&psc=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thread reminder to never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality and performance

head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Does MusicBee color audio? I swear my songs sound so much better/clearer going through foobar or even MPV over musicbee. Am I going crazy?

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

what are my options for wireless?

any good DAC for less than $50? is it worth getting one for that cheap?

Your options are Bose QC35 and dogshit.

hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
It's audibly transparent, as proven by measurements. There's actually no reason to spend more than this on a standalone DAC if you don't do audio production/editing.

Also, note, do not plug headphones directly into the UAE23. It should only be used as a standalone DAC plugged into a separate headphone amplifier as it has an output impedance of over 200 ohm.

cool, thoughts on the FiiO K1?

eng.soomal.com/edoc/10100000054.htm
Looks like it's competent for PC use, notsomuch for phone use.

Should've learned after their amp was caught dumping DC into headphones back in 2012.

>Budget
$150
>Location
US
>Source
Computer, 3.5mm jack
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
I'm using some HD 558's right now, want to get a pair of closed headphones of similar quality, looking right now at the m40xs but am wondering if there are better headphones around that price range for what I want

Sennheiser HD 4.40, 4.50 if you want ANC.

are there any good contemporary options that work like the ones sony used to bundle with walkmans? I want something that's light that I can put around my neck when I'm not using it

Did the schiit bros have NwAvGuy killed for exposing some of their many lies?

I think so.

How do you feel about bluetooth headphones, /hpg/?

My headphone started failing on one side because of faulty wiring probably since if I mess with the wire a bit the sound comes back.
How do I fix it? Theres no screws anywhere

Any reasonably priced wireless headphones for teamspeak comms when gaming? With a decent mic, preferably.

hd600

Damn i fell for the schiit meme oh well.

Schiit products tend to be really hit and miss. Not worth taking a stab in the dark.

qc35 heavily outclassed by wh1000mx2

link the measurements?

Haters gonna hate.

Is replaygain enabled either end?
It'd do that... everything else being equal, higher volume is perceived as better.

I bought a Vali Amp from them honestly makes my headphones louder but are there any other recommendations?
Preferably something that doesn't break the bank?

My Bifrost I got cheap has been good. Even had the Uber 2 analog and USB upgrades. Last owner fell for the multibit meme so sold it for $150 to get some quick cash.

Haven't really seen people trash that particular product either.

what headphones are you powering

Beyerdynamic Dt 880's 600ohms I got them at a great price if not I would have gone for the 250 ohm ones.

Tbh the vali would be fine for them.

Yeah that's exactly why I got the Vali seeing those links I don't see anyone saying anything bad about the Vali just had my doubts and wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions.

I'd keep the vali. Since you have 600ohm beyers you could potentially experiment and or fuck around with OTL tube amps in the future. Though these arent particularly cheap. They do change the sound though in a euphoric way even though on paper they are shit. (Valhalla 2 would be an example of this)

>seeing those links
I looked at these. It's possible to find that kinda shit about any company. It doesn't really say anything about schiit to be honest.

Vali 2 or 1 and how does it change the sound vs solid state? I was really considering ordering one after being dissatisfied with element due to personal preferences but I am going to move to speakers now.

1 They don't seem to have to have it in stock anymore basically made the headphones louder which is basically what I needed them to do. I'm no audiophile I just wanted to hear my music/games louder.. Ive never used solid state so I wouldn't be able to comment. I did get that amp because I heard tube amps favor beyers.

Yes big to small on both mobile and computer. Piano works with big -> small -> big attached. The piano is magical, only it can resurrect them, it's bizarre.

pic related

Oh, been forever since I wrote that. Surprised to see the reply here :D
I'd of course doubt the big to small. But you have more than one? :X
I do recall the "big to small" that came bundled with the HD598 does "click" into place. Maybe you don't press it down strongly enough for it to click?

I haven't got the original big to small both those are 3d party (I got the second one to test), one clicks and the other doesn't while both behave the same way. I'd order a Sennheiser original adapter straight away if it wasn't for the fact that the configuration in the pic works on the piano and it includes a 3d party big to small in the middle.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
MSR7 arrived. I won't unpack them until I'm at home though.
Had forgotten to do the usual (this) post this thread. Hmm. Maybe you can order the short cable with the small jack that hd598se uses? But yeah, getting the original adapter doesn't sound like a bad idea. A friend ordered a few chink adapters the other way around (small to big) and gave me one, and it alters the sound... bad contact or something :X.

>short cable with the small jack
Interesting, hadn't thought about this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts m8.

>I won't unpack them until I'm at home though.
P U S S Y

You're just envious of my self control.

Post measurements so I don't drop hundreds on a dac

Which smartphone has the best DAC?

LG V30

I have to put Magni 3 really high on the pot for the same volume everyone else reports at ~9 o clock and others are having the same problem.

headfi says it's a DAC issue but I went through 3 HiFimeDIY DACs and no change so I just ordered a 2.1Vrms Topping D30 since it isn't just USB powered, and Amazon cables because Schiit told me it might be a jack connection problem. Am I gonna get more power?

Koss KPH30I:koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/kph30i

My Grados sr80e's are with a ***buzz*** in the right side. Could anyone help me, please?

Grado*** fixed

gain at high, volume knob high, and even then it's not enough? wow.
What headphones are that?

What's a good travel sized pair of heaphones?

So I've decided, I'm going to order my OPPO PM-3 this week.
Anyone here have experience with it? Worth the price? And which Amp should I be looking to get

DT770 and DT1770 pads are interchangeable and in fact very easy to change.
However due to heavy OCD I cant yet wager on the sonic differences.

Look up "grattle". There is a small wrinkle in your driver - gently succ on the back/outside of the headphone that's rattling and it will straighten out. I've had my sr80e's for about 7 years now and I have to do this occasionally

I want to lick her feet

598C... Or HD380 if you actually want neutral.

>HD380
>Neutral
No.

seconded!

K612. It's just clearly weaker across the pot than the specs and others say it should be. My old DAC amp (50mW @ 180ohms) gets as loud but sounds way less thin even though it can't drive them properly so that's weird.

are there any good alternatives to the schiit eitr? (usb to toslink converter)

No

amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE
$22 vs $179 for eitr

>wrinkle
I've already done that...

>treble raping your ear
>requires oral service for maintenance

is this a headphone or a woman

who?

These animu girls are so imposing.

Do you still need a DAC these days for desktop PC? If so, what's a good DAC to go along with iFi micro-iCAN SE?

Testing MSR7 now. WTF all the cables use the small jack and they come with no adapter for the big one.
Thankfully I do have one, but for now I've just plugged it to the phone, and I'm playing my idol games.
Seems bright AF so far, but only one song played.

KEK

There's probably a hair on the driver.

Anyone got any pics of Micca Origen and Origain side by side?

>Budget
>Location
US
>Source
Galaxy S7 3.5mm jack
>Type
Full-size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Hopefully heavier bass but not shitty
>Past headphones
Etymotic mc5 IEMs, I like them but they aren't particularly comfortable. I'm willing to go a bit over 100 if need be. Thanks for your time /hpg/!

Ath m40x

Takstar Pro 82

To add onto this, there is a deal on amazon that comes with a case and stuff for no extra charge.
amazon.com/dp/B00UG7QMPO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I38L45YINGUYEO&colid=238M0BCDB2JI7&psc=0

I bought one, waiting for it to arrive.

I really hope it's good.

The hifime uae23 outputs optical signal out of the 3.5mm out

Budget?

I believe they're the same deepth
Check the zeos video on under $100 amps or the one on the origen g2, on one of those he put them side by side

It's good, and very comfy. Black or silver?

retard

Been thinking about making the jump to a Fostex T50RP after the right side of my MDR-V6s stopped working. Is there a big enough difference in quality to justify getting them instead of just having my MDR-V6s repaired?

>Budget
30 can go to 50 if there is substantial increase in quality
>Location
EU Italy.
>Source
Computer,mp3 player, s4 galaxy 3.5mm jack
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy enough not to leave rashes
>Sound signature
Neutral or a little bass sided, I listen to hardtrance/hardhouse/trance and all that stuff where bass is there.
>Past headphones
I'm using some sony's which where probably 15 bucks or less (red ones). Had the black ones a while then a friend of mine sat on them..
The earbuds are philips (can't remember the name) but they were surprisingly good in all aspects and lasted a good 2 years which for 10 bucks is good

>Budget
$200, fine with used
>Location
US
>Source
Phone, laptop, bluetooth receiver
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
High
>Sound signature
Neutral, Warm, V shaped is fine
>Past headphones
HD600, SHP9500, HD 4.40, Hifiman Edition S
This is a pretty specific request. I'm looking for open headphones that have a 3.5 detachable like the SHP9500. I want this because I like to use a bluetooth receiver when I study and watch lectures, so I can get up and walk around and not mess with wires.
I've been using SHP's for this, but their tendency to slide can be problematic when I'm looking down to read. The Edition S sound great and have the features I want, but my ears touch the drivers which makes my ears sore over a longer period.
Are there any headphones that I've missed that'll give me what I want? I'm not against raising my budget if so.

>>(You)
Open, Semi-closed or Closed

Have you tried looking for thicker/more comfortable ear pads you could swap out for on your Hifiman Edition S?

Open

Yea that's the only place I saw a visual representation of them together like that. I was just hoping someone here might have a good pic

>schiit anything
>topping d30
>uae23
enjoy your jitter cannon

Enjoy your lack of headphones.

>Have you tried looking for thicker/more comfortable ear pads you could swap out for on your Hifiman Edition S?
They have an odd shape so I haven't seen any aftermarket pads for them.

Thanks for the replies anons! I'll do some research on both of those

I can't find the shitty headphones thread...

Also shameless pity bump.

Comfirmed for not having headphones OR women.

I want to get an amp for higher/louder sound.
I guess they can give more bass also.

What should I get?

Headphones? Budget?

Location?
Price range?
Desktop or portable?
Pre-amp out needed?
DAC combo or no?
Unbalanced or balanced?
What headphones are you plugging in?

Closed fully around the ear.

Headphones are just speakers on your head