How hot do you let your CPU / GPU get ?

How hot do you let your CPU / GPU get ?
With what temperatures do you feel comfortable ?
My Thinkpad throttles at 84C and is usually at 80C when doing heavy work.

Other urls found in this thread:

fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Bitstream-Vera-Sans-Mono
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I assume you checked your radiators/ducts for accumulation of dust and the likes?

i removed dust and applied new thermal paste.
before it was hitting 93C in special situations (i assume AVX Instructions).
2,5 Ghz Quadcore with Hyperthreading and 3.5 Ghz Turbo in a Laptop.
Maybe I will change the fan curve.

hey luke

Ah, it's an i7.

hey dave

I've adjusted my fan curves to make my CPU (r7 1700) top out at 60° and my GPU (r9 390) at 85°

If I see my CPU hitting 80C I know it's time to clean shit, I've not seen my GPU go over mid 70s.

T. 7 y/o ANUS laptop

Nice to know this, I'll be sure to check it out from time to time.
>t. Just got gifted a mid-range Strix

I always look at the tjmax for a guideline on when to troubleshoot
Pretty kek this thing hasn't taken a shit yet

My x230 throttles at 100C :^)
Tjunctuon 105 master race

i have an oc i7 4790k, 35C idle and 65C max, i did not delided the fucker yet though.

My reference rx480 with the blower style fan was too noisy, 85C on load and could climb up to 90C and start throttling,. First i switched the thermal paste with some liquid metal, idle temp and heat transfer with the heatsink where better but the heatsink was clearly the bottleneck here as the temp would slowly reach throttle point. I recently changed the heatsink for an artic twin 3, now it's 30C idle and 60C max and fucking silent.

I also have an intel nuc and the cooler system is a litteral piece of shit, fan produces high pich sound due to it's size, it is either this or having the cpu throttles like cray. Replaced the toothpaste with real thermal paste and it's a bit better, but still fuck intel because there is clearly enough room in that little box for a more efficient cooler, might look for some modding later.

Usually if your hardware temps are close to throttling point or even reach it then something is wrong and you should look into it, excepted if you've bought consumer tier junk and prebuild then you deserve high temps and reduced lifetime.

My Threadripper barely gets over 25*C idle, and flat out at a 4ghz OC it might see 45*C so I don't care, but my laptop on the other hand, A10-5750 quad with integrated APU, it will start throttling at 50*C I think, most of the time it runs in turbo 3.5ghz but once it hits 50 it'll drop down to its rated 2.5ghz speed. Even in gaming I'm surprised, it rarely will touch 70*C.

Cleaned fans and pathways, Arctic Silver V on both machines.

my laptop gets to 90+°C under heavy load regularly. i disabled throttling, for all i care this thing can burn in hell. crit is set to 105°C, never got that high.

>this thing can burn in hell
normally you don't mean this literally.

I have an Athlon II X4 620 and even with 100% load for like half an hour it doesn't even reach 60c lol. GPU doesn't tend to get that hot either desu. Laptop tends to get to around 65 when sitting on my bed but its an old pentium p6200 and the highest ive seen is about 85

my CPU core fluctuates between 37-39°c and 50-52°c (max CPU load=87%)

my GPU fluctuates between 47 and 55°c (max GPU load 67%)

if my GPU load remains at 100% fot a while the temp can reach up to 80°c although it rarely happens since i don't game.

i've never seen any of my CPU cores above 60°c, although the spectre/meltdown patch involves big CPU sage jumps, they're frequent but don't last much hence the graph that varies a lot. It didn't show such a behavior before the patch.

(i use an old q8300 core2quad and an entry level geforce 730GT)

(pic upload failed unfortunately)

when i try to upload my temp graph it says upload failed.

dunno why, it's a mere screencap PNG, less than 300KB. title says "screenshot.png".
anyone else has troubles uploading pics?

the server responded with an Error: upload failed but the pic went through
>mfw

I encountered the same error when I tried posting in the Hans Reiser thread a few moments ago.
Weird.

it's truncated

7600k @ 5Ghz

Hits like 65c under a stress test so usually less than that in the real world. Would get worried if it got above 50c doing normal stuff.

what font is that?

fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Bitstream-Vera-Sans-Mono

6700k @ 4.6

Normal tasks it tops out at about 70 degrees. Goes up to 80 for really demanding tasks/stress tests. I think max 85 for stress testing is fine if you're overclocking. Still 15 degrees away from tjmax.