/sqt/ stoopid questions general

Ask away!

Could somebody post an IT CV here? I'm a beginner sysadmin looking to work in Yurop and I'm not sure what to write in my CV, I don't want to miss things or write too much and sound unprofessional.

Other urls found in this thread:

incise.org/tinywm.html
blog.Sup
my.mixtape.moe/nfvrqy.png
windowsmatters.com/2014/01/03/updated-win8pe-includes-x86-x64-versions/
ebay.ie/itm/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-RX-570-Nitro-8GB-AMD-Graphics-Card-Genuine-New/253383637777
howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/
digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

my applications programming experience is 15 years out of date

what is the definitive reference for windows software design?

If I enable NTFS compression for my Dropbox folder will it mean I use less space on Dropbox? Running pretty close to the 13.5 gig free limit I got (mostly from referrals back when they offered extra space for it) know there's other services out there possibly with higher limits now but I'm way hella entrenched in this dropbox shit and can't be bothered to switch unless I absolutely have to

does ANYONE AT ALL have a solution to the godawful calendar/clock in windows 10??? Google says there used to be a workaround before the last update, but now it's broken. I can't fucking stand the new UI, it makes my eyes bleed.

My friends got a super old pc that's started beeping continuously. It's probably the processor considering that's what the beep code tells me and the thick layer of dust build up. I want to clean it but I'm wondering if you can direct me or tell me simple household tools I can use. Also I'm a cheap-o so is it safe to use toothpaste and vaseline as thermal paste for his processor when I reseat it?

Is it safe to cut a regular sized SIM to nano SIM using a regular scissor?

Toothpaste and Vaseline will work fine, as long as your goal is to burn down the house.

>Toothpaste and Vaseline will work fine, as long as your goal is to burn down the house.
Alrighty

absolutely, but I'm not sure a scissor will be precise enough. I usually go for a file or sandpaper.

Yes, I've done this before. Think I also used some fine grain sandpaper though and I might have used a razorblade knife (no idea what they're called in English, but the ones you use to open packages).

WHAT DID HIRO BREAK THIS TIME?

>razorblade knife
I think you mean art knife or box cutters. That's what we in the rest of the 'real' civilised world call it.

How do I get in to video editing? I wanna make some of the simplest things like adding music to a webm.

haha thats not how you speil stupid

How often should I clean my PC and especially change the thermal paste of CPU and GPU? I last changed the thermal paste of the CPU some months ago but never changed the GPU one and I bought it in 2015

Using python. I have a string "orange -red -blue pink -green"
I want to regex it and have a result like [[orange, pink], [red, blue, green]]
Generically, I need two groups of matches, where each group is composed by matches with different patterns.

I reinstalled Windows a couple days ago. I used to hold my mouse wheel button to scroll pages on my browser. Now, pressing it toggles the scroll mode, and holding it does nothing until I release (so it can toggle the scroll mode).
I can't remember how/if I changed this setting before. But this shit is driving me nuts, I can't scroll properly in my browser. I tried googling, but all I can come up with is a shitty Chrome extension that doesn't even do anything (AutoScroller).

Halp

I won't lie, I only change the thermal paste on my CPU monthly during the summer when it gets really hot, and give it a good dusting every week.

But...GPUs have thermal paste on them that you need to replace?

Yes, but it's very easy to fuck it up.

You shouldn't have to do it, ever, if properly applied. Unless you're running at crazy hot temperatures (think 80ºC+) all the time, paste holds up decently well.
If your hardware isn't overheating, don't bother. If it really is going over 80ºC. you might want to do it.
As for the GPU, I personally repasted mine a couple months ago because it was getting pretty hot, it was about 2 years old. The original paste was still decently humid and covering the entire chip, even though it ran quite hot for a few months during the Summer. It did drop 10ºC after I finished putting it together, but I think most of that was due to cleaning up the dust in it rather than changing the paste itself.

Woo hoo congratulations you know one language. I bet you have some of my ancestors civilized blood in you when we crossed the sea to rape your monks and cuck your kings with Danegeld.

Invent a project for yourself, then install shotcut. It's free and easy to use.

Is there some ghetto way to finagle wires/software to use my smartphone as a microphone on steam?

>Error: Upload Failed
It's happening on all boards, and at the same time every day as far as I've noticed. Maybe it's some sort of ridiculous bandwidth saving measure?

>as a microphone on steam

I know discord has an phone app, but why not buy a cheap $20 headset?

cause i need my last $20 to buy ramen until i get paid next week

>change the thermal paste on my CPU monthly
what? I live in africa and havn't changed it in 4 years. no problems.

also discord, teamspeak and the like would work if i had a private group but i want to use the games public mike (vrchat)

I'm a proud Celt with Zulu blood. I'd be honored to have some of Odin's blood in my veins

Use riot.im, wire or Facebook messenger. Plug your headphones into your phone then put your PC headphones over them (optional).
>you hear your friends
>you hear your game
>you speak to them using the phone's mic

what is the name of the event that will kick start some kind of technology revolution in 20-40 years?

Singularity?

How to post pictures?

Wait it out, the site is shitting itself again.

Make a savings account and name it "HEADSET". Also, rammen is bad for you in large quantities.

I doubt my CPU ever overheats thanks to the nice heatsink I have, but my GPU blows out a tremendous amount of heat under high load/summer heat.

Ask your local phone store to do it for you.

They charge 5$ for it.

How is code typed into Sup Forums?

echo test
I'm assuming the above didn't work.

holy shit I didn't expect it to be that easy

For me, It depends on the store owner, some do it for free and some charge for it but usually less than $5.

jaja

uint_8 test = 1

>tell windows to not index a folder
>index it anyway
>tell windows not to scout onedrive with that shitty photos app
>does it anyway
>change settings to suit my needs
>revert them later
Short of installing gentoo or reverting back to another version what can i do to tell windows to fuck off and let me work?

incise.org/tinywm.html

I'm trying to launch this Window Manager(the python version) but I'm not sure how. The problem is it involves launching in to X11 to use it and I'm not sure how to do that with a python program.

Did Sup Forums X just break image posting? Is there a fix for it?

>but my GPU blows out a tremendous amount of heat under high load/summer heat.
but when your changing the thermal paste is it even hard. Changing it monthly just sounds like a retarded waste of time. But i'm interested now cause I got a 1060 gtx 3-4 months ago and now it can get rather toasty(70C, I used to have a 650 gtx so it's heat build was negligible). Should I start worrying about my cpu? The actually cpu temps are pretty normal 40+ degrees even underload. never over 50(i5-4440). And I have no fans beside the built in one that come with the psu,cpu and gpu

no it's just gook

oh so it's not just me

I'm an international student who doesn't use his phone much, so I got a 3$ moth pay as yo go plan instead of the regular 30-50$ subscription

I found that the phone number was recycled and I'm keep getting calls from the previous owner. I'm going to chance this number but is this always the same case for all pay as yo go phones? Do I have to pay $30 a month to avoid getting retirement bullshit of some old man?

Try calling your provider and ask for a new number. Not much you can't do about it otherwise.

>but when your changing the thermal paste is it even hard

As in the process being hard? I'd say its very tedious, especially if you have a large heatsink for it/crappy case. Placing the thermal paste is simple, but putting the heatsink back on while the new layer of paste makes it harder due to (depending on the quality of paste) paste practically working glue. I think the hardest part for me is snapping the lock of CPU back on because it always feels as if I'm going to break the mobo. If you're worried about heat issues, monitor all your temps with speccy and see whats in trouble. Find your CPU/GPUs average/highest capable temps to vary them. Your GPU will always be the hottest thing in your computer.

My CPU right now is below 30c and GPU is at 42c. All I have open is runescape and a few tabs on chrome. Under heavy load I've seen my GPU hit up the 70s in room temperature while my CPU generally stays around 35s. I'd show you my speccy but HIRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Will do that, thank you.
Do all pay as you go numbers are recycled? Maybe something to do with area code? I'm a student in UCLA so the code is in a pretty crowded area

>Do all pay as you go numbers are recycled?

Yes, the companies don't tend to own many compared to say sprint/att, especially if you're in a crowded area code. I don't blame you for not wanting a contract.

>UCLA

There's your problem.

You can always ask for a new number, maybe they will even give it.

Reposting from last thread since I posted near the end of it... How much of a refund should I offer a guy whose game arrived with a badly damaged case? Would $10 for a $30 sale be enough, or should I offer more? Really don't want to deal with the hassle of having him ship it back and then figure out how the hell I'm supposed to sell this mangled thing.

So what's the good router to get in 2018?

>80/20 internet link
>run home server
>about 3-4 units on most of the time

It was t-mobile, guess I'll switch to at&t then, they dont have pay as you go and their cheapest cos around 25ish I believe.

Still its a bummer, I did 3 maybe 5 phonecalls for 3 months and only payed 22$. now I have to pay that on a monthly basis, bleh. Hoped that the people who called for that babyboomer woudl go away but no. Have to switch it

I'll try, thank you

WHY CANT I POST IMAGES

I had the same problem

>25ish I believe

There's always a catch. I'm paying 92 a month with sprint and truthfully I have no clue what my coverage/plan is or if its mostly the iphone 6 I bought 2 years ago or maybe I'm still paying for my sister's line.. I know sprint has like $10/mo deals for phones, and the lines are around $45. Cricket is one of the newer companies around you should check out.

There's a lot of cheap MVNOs out there, especially if you're cool with tmo reception.

Some good e-mail providers?

Same here. I keep getting "Error: Upload Failed" message.

blog.Sup Forums.org/

Look at the server status. It's happening for everyone else.

HIROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Is there any reason at all why GTK is preferable to QT?

Should be enough as long as the game werks.

I recently picked up a set of NS-10M speakers and a AU-D507X Amp. When I check online I see that they are going for alot. Can any one explain to me why these are such a big deal?

Does that mean no new threads?

>Must I post an image?

>To start a new thread, you must upload an image. Sup Forums is primarily an imageboard after all! When replying to an already existing thread, no attachment is required.
Yes. Sup Forums will finally die until mootwo stops breaking the servers.

Why is Sup Forums constantly telling me "error: upload failed" to whatever image I try to load?
I'm not banned or everything and it isn't specific to one browser, jees

How should I type my email in contact section on private site to avoid spambots reading it?

It's easier to break so RedHat uses it because they make money on customer support. Since they're very influential a lot of software uses gtk.

The site is rekt.

i have a Dell computer that doesn't an extra power cable for my video card.
the dell computer uses a proprietary PSU so i can't get an aftermarket PSU.
i have a gtx 960, it uses max 120w.
will a laptop PSU that can handle 220w just for the gpu work?
if not what are my other options?

Only about half of the last 30 posts are about that.

Meh, no new threads means no page 11 culling. I say we set some post count records

Is my machine bricked?

Earlier today I booted up my Windows machine from what was most likely hibernation but could've been a crappy W10 quick shutdown. All I got was a flashing white underscore that didn't do anything. As far as I can tell the only thing that I'm capable of doing on that screen is pressing ctrl+alt+del to reboot, which makes it quite easy for me to access the start-up menu.

Here's what I know so far
>I can access the BIOS, so that probably isn't fucked
>hard disk appears to be recognized by my machine and seems to pass the short test that I can run in the BIOS, although when I try to access it via a live cd I get an error (pic related). I can also get what seems to be some weird Windows 7 recovery tool on the same disk to boot, but presumably that's the D drive (as opposed to Windows 10's C drive).
>rebooting does nothing
Now, from what I know that narrows down the issue to either the mobo or the C drive with Windows 10 on it. Does anyone know what I can do? Installing Gentoo would be a natural solution, but the error in pic related doesn't help. Is it still possible to make USBs that fix the boot shit on a Windows machine? My lack of any blank discs and the fact that I'm currently using a live CD probably doesn't help, but I'm not sure if the USB shit would either be possible or helpful on Windows 10.

Ah fuck, here's a link for the screenshot. For some reason I can't fucking upload pictures.
my.mixtape.moe/nfvrqy.png

Is there a good mouse with good scroll wheel click that doesn't wear off too fast? With all my mice so far, the wheel click is the first thing to stop working consistently.

Can you boot into windows safe mode or recovery mode?

I am the only one having problems uploading images to Sup Forums? I've tried with safari+vanilla Sup Forums, firefox+4chanx and clover, all three failing.

You can access your shit with this

windowsmatters.com/2014/01/03/updated-win8pe-includes-x86-x64-versions/

Safe mode on Windows 10? Is that even a thing anymore?

As for recovery mode, I've only got a weird Windows 7 one on my D drive.

no see

Christ, nobody reads anything before posting.

ebay.ie/itm/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-RX-570-Nitro-8GB-AMD-Graphics-Card-Genuine-New/253383637777
why is this rx570 so cheap? is it a scam?

Sorry for being stupid. I just thought it was a problem with my shitty internet connection

>Is that even a thing anymore?
Absolutely.

Should I be worried? I'm currently running a live CD and I'm downloading a Windows 10 ISO to a portable hard drive. I've had to borrow someone's 16GB USB stick in order to burn the ISO to the USB and fix my Windows installation. Is there any chance of bricking the USB here? I'm not too sure what I'm doing, all I know is that the first step is to download the ISO.

How is it accessed?

howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Nah. Just reformat the USB if something goes wrong

What exactly is that? I mean, I get that it's a portable W8, but is that helpful?

Yes, if you wan't to access your shit.

He sold 35 of them, he is a miner and is dumping cards before the price crash

I want to connect a keyboard to a Windows PC then use it as dedicated keyboard for an Arch installation on the same network.
How do I achieve this?

thanks, so i guess I nabbed a bargain.

Are there logs(or another way) in windows that can tell me what program edited a specific registry key?

digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10
If you can get into this blue startup menu and boot into safe mode, run sfc /scannow on cmd

>7 feedback
>Mostly under £20
>Sells a shitton of cards at once

Yeah, looks a lot like a scam.

so I should cancel payment?

Depends on how much faith you have in paypal.