/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)
BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not the same guy, but I've _tried_ using a laptop in bed. I can't figure out a good position.

It annoys me that the 51nb boards aren't open source. They'd get the bugs worked out sooner. Plus the whole concept of doing something 'for the community' and not open-sourcing it doesn't make sense to me.

I need a battery for my T430.
Why are they all so expensive, geez.

Why were the freedom models (X200, T400) removed?
Were they simply not fast enough while also having none of the IBM era quality?

>plastering ben shapiro on your memepad
Fucking revolting

Buy some 18650s and hack your old one
Post results here

>sticking a kike on your laptop

Op is a fag

Can I get new, genuine trackpoints without paying 10 dollars for a whole pack of them? Are there good aftermarket trackpoints I can get on the cheap?

What do you think of Thinkvision monitors? I grabbed two L1711Ps that someone tried to throw out. I'm using one with my docked R400 and it's pretty nice.

>tried to throw out
People throw out working monitors?

he fell for the jewish trick

When M2 hard drives become standard, will you stop using your Thinkpad from 2011?

Dunno, my x200 is my favourite thinkpad.

Probably about to win the bid on a W520 on eBay.

Is it worth paying an extra hundred for them over something like the T420 and T430?

I still use regular SATA hard drives. Fuck off, gonzales. Give me my storage.

i've heard of people running 16GB RAM in their X220, but official support ends at 8GB. do i have to flash anything or just slap two 8GB DDR3 in it?

both my x220 and x230 werks just fine with 16gb ram, no need to mod anything

Just stick it in
But make sure it's compatible

great, thanks user. time to do some shopping then!

>eBay
>2x8GB 1600mhz Ram
>start bidding at 20€ or buy now for 40€
>some retard starts bidding sexonds before I can buy it
I’m not sure of the person who started bidding is either retarded or just greedy

This is called sniping.

this. annoyes the fuck out of me when i'm looking for some old records.

Yeah, there were 5 or 6 working monitors at my local tip shop.

Where's the T60? OP is a faggot

Thinking about purchasing an used T430: 8gb ram, 500gb HD; standard stuff. I'll replace the DVD with a 240gb SSD and buy a new battery. All in all it'll cost me about $400,00, which is decent for my country (Brazil).

Am I doing good, senpai?

No room for it under 'IBM models' or 'modern models'. Also, I just copied the text from the previous thread... T60 has not been in the recommended models for weeks.

hey macaco já deu uma olhada na olx, acho que vc consegue um preço melhor

Looking at t420/t440 - budget after mods ~$400
Aside from battery, ssd, ram, display and keyboard what other upgrades/replacements should consider? Which would better for babbys first ThinkPad?

>olx

Trabalho perto da Sta. Ifigênia e o T430 liso tá saindo R$900,00. Preco tá uma delícia considerando que eu consigo ver a máquina funcionando pessoalmente e tá em bom estado. O que eu não sei é se compro uma bateria nova agora ou fico com a meia boca que vai vir com ele. Vai sair R$1500 tudo (contando o SSD) e 1 ano de "garantia", mas a loja é grande e velha na região.

T420 checklist:
Quad core CPU
16G RAM
MSATA SSD
SSD
Ultrabay SSD
Upgraded WiFi card
Alienware mx2 HD+ display (assuming you can’t find a 1080p/1440p mid)
NMB keyboard

T420 has a better CPU, keyboard, upgradeability. T440 has bettter display options, battery life.

Hi /tpg/ I am a developer working with VM's and android emulators. I have a spare ssd (evo850) and some ram (16gb)

What is the cheapest and most powerful machine I should look for?

My budget is quite limited, I guess 400 bucks it's the absolute amount of money i can invest.

Thanks for your advice fellow Sup Forumsentlemen

Don't forget ExpressCard! You can put USB 3 or fourth SSD in there.

They say that you can also unlock Ivy Bridge CPUs with Coreboot if you're skilled enough.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to use a T60 in 2017. The CPU is extremely warm, and without a solid grasp of heat sink enhancement and thermal throttling there’ll be too much fan noise for the average user. There’s also the T60’s boxy 1990s aesthetic, a throwback to the very first ThinkPads and Japanese lunch box craftsmanship. Modern users think they understand this, but throw a 4:3 screen and RGB logo at them and they act like they just saw their mom blow the mailman. IBM Era fans have the intellectual capacity and depth to appreciate the artistry of 1024x768 panels and bonafide roll cages, they’re not burning $2,000 on a colorful sticker and trendy touchscreen anytime soon. It’s beyond highlighting that anyone who buys a post 2007 ThinkPad is, for lack of a better word: stupid. I’m inclined to say retarded, but that removes the personal agency of their decision. They know they could have a real ThinkPad, they reject it. Delight in it even, like a pig gleefully wallowing in shit- of course they wouldn’t appreciate a steel, cold to the touch lid. All they want are carbon fiber MacBooks with Korean cartoon stickers. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those knuckle-dragging simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Richard Sapper’s genius design unfolds itself on their desks. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a ThinkPad T60. And no, you cannot use it. The keyboard keys are perfect without you shiny fingerprint oil and with parts becoming less common by the day: it’ll be a cold day in hell before my last sandy key clicks are wasted on your feminized chiclet Mac fingers.

Would recommend getting one of those mini bed tables for comfy laptop bed use. I've been bedridden for a month from chronic disease and it kept me pretty sane. Even make things like eating in bed pretty easy. Bonus points for wireless trackball.

eu comprei no mercado livre um t430, sem hd e memoria por 700 reais. e a bateria dura mais de 5 horas.

Don't get T440. Get T440p. Way different.

we uma delicia now

Seems like you would have to sit up to use that, which defeats the whole point of being in bed.

I was able to use it laying down just fine. What's great about the trackball is that I can just have it laying on my stomach/chest.

I'm looking to purchase Thinkpad with i7 3xxx cpu, at least 8 gigs of ram and express card slot. What's my cheapest option?

look for an i7 t440p, it can support 2x8 GB ram.

they probably cost 0.03 cents to make, so you might as well buy a pack of them, trackpoints can wear out faster than you think

Wat.jpg
Sniping is bidding during the last seconds of an auction.
The ram will now sell for more than 40€. I’ll guarantee it.

i guess x220 isnt for consuming media aswell, right?

What do you mean? Pretty sure it will play whatever movies or anime you have at 720p

i do want a laptop first because i want to do stuff not only on my desk and ofcourse watch stuff on bed, i kinda snob 720p resolution and its everywhere for budget prices

t460s for 625$
6200U
4GB
256SSD
Bearly used

Worth it?

Any /tpg/ worried about meltyspectre?
I'm eyeing some x270 action and it's processor (i5-7200U) is on the list.

Shut up.

Not really desu

Comprei meu X230 por R$900. Isso no Mercado Livre.

i5 3320m;
8GB RAM;
500GB HDD.

Just installed high sierra on my x220. Everythings working but the volume right now but im working on it. Anyway i can edit clobers boot order. It automatically goes to the installer instead of my os unless i select boot mac. Also would it be a nuisance to have win 10 partioned on the same drive?

How long should a battery from GHU last for a T400 that has spec related, mind the name I also have a T530 and i swap drives between the two since I don't want to buy another SSD.

Is there anything wrong with getting an E series for heavy usage? I've purchased a dozen or so E570 laptops for the company I work for, and would like to know if I should get an E or a T series for my personal and school usage. Are the T series laptops worth the extra money?

>X230i and i7 mobo separately, then combine
>entry T430/L430 and i7 as an upgrade
>T430/L430 with i7

I'd expect one of these to be the cheapest.

Liso ou refurshibed? Falar português dá banimento.

Also, i really like one but i want to buy a new one, not used, do you think the t450 new at mercadolivre in lenovostore is a good one?

If it's only an extra hundred, yes

Just installed high sierra on my x220. Everythings working but the volume right now but im working on it. Anyway i can edit clobers boot order. It automatically goes to the installer instead of my os unless i select boot mac. Also would it be a nuisance to have win 10 partioned on the same drive?

Fuck no

Want an x280 so badly, but I hate the chicklet. I'll probably end up buying one in a few years.

no
yes

>X230i and i7 mobo separately, then combine
Did you mean cpu separately? Also is there full hd ips touch screen mod for this model?

>Did you mean cpu separately?
I meant motherboard separately as the CPU is soldered on. You asked for the cheapest way to get one and the i7 models of X230 have ridiculous premiums, at least in my area. It was easier to find a cheap locked down X230, i7 motherboard and upgrade it myself. The CPU is soldered on the motherboard. X230i is just the i3 version of X230 which should be cheap as the i3 is crippled by design.

The CPU is socketed on T430/L430 so that's a bit easier.

>FHD IPS touch screen mod
Haven't seen one. Even the FHD IPS mod requires add on board and pulling a displayport from the docking port.

I failed you freethinkpadfags, I have succumbed to the x230t, the third generation processor and usb 3.0 were too good to pass up.
Goodbye satisfying keyboard, Hello chiclet hell.

The new keyboard is just fine for typing.

I want to play Melee on a thinkpad and nothing else.
Budget $300

they feel exactly the same if not better due to the bigger surface area on each key, but they fucked up the layout for no good reason.

I would buy a 7-row chiclet keyboard without hesitation.

>you have to have a very high IQ to use a T60 in 2017
It's 2018.
>currentyear.jpg

The good news for you is that if the seven-row ever does come back, it'll be seven-row chiclet. If.

I own a t450 I bought a few days ago and will buy the new T series with the mx150 in it.

Do power banks or anything work on thinkpads?
Also just how much battery drain is going from 1080 to higher res really cost?

Just bought the following thinkpad
>P50
>1920x1080
> i7 6820HQ
>16 gb DDR4 RAM
>256 gb m2 ssd
>512 gb ssd
>nvidia quadro m1000m
>$999

No locked bios and no signs of usage, looks like new. This was a good deal right, Sup Forums?

i dun goofed, guys
recently tried uograding the CPU on my old t43 to a 2.13ghz, the upgrade went well but to access the cpu i had to remove the heat sink which meant prying part of it off with a knife because it was stuck onto the graphics chip
anyways, now my touchpad wont work and ive got vertical RGB stripes on my screen, did i fuck it up for good or what

why even need a touchpad?
just use the trackpoint

Any college Sup Forums users running around with thinkpads here? Do you carry around your charger with you? Do you also have spare batteries? Personally I always have an spare charged up and have my charger in my bag along with my other EDC things

A fair bit of software is designed for gesture control.

I use a W520 for college, and have to carry around the 6lb laptop and it's 3lb laptop as well, which to be honest isn't a whole lot of fun. The battery life of ~3 hours is good enough for me in most cases, never had an issue with it dying.
I don't use any spare batteries because they're expensive and my w520 and it's charger already take up enough space.

Bump

Anyone buy the amd t series variants yet? What’s the battery life like?

reddit

I can respect that, my t430 usually eats through its battery in 3-6 hours depending on the workload
Fortunately all of my textbooks are online so I can justify the carrying another battery

I'm using a T400 on a daily basis with Mint 19 installed. However I'm not truly satisfied because sometimes it freezes and become slower and slower. Would you recommend me upgrade his pieces or jump into another machine (T420, T430, x250)?
I did some crypto trades and I'm able to afford a glorious 300$ thinkpad.

so you're saying that a fair bit of software is designed exclusively for laptops, without consideration for desktops

bit hard to believe

pretty sure you can replace that with x220 keyboard.

If I can choose between an X220 and X230, the X230 being 20-30usd more expensive, which of the two is the better pickup?

I always thought that gestures don’t work on these old touchpads.
On my three machines they don’t work.

Trackballs are love. I use one on each side of my keyboards so no RSI. I used sticky-back Velcro to hold two of them on a keyboard tray as you describe when I chill in my car seat mounted to a power recliner. (Car seats unlike chairs have millions of dollars in R&D in them and it shows.)

No because I'm not stupid enough to leave classified info on my internet-connected PCs and I'm not a target and I never surf using Windows.

>I'm not stupid enough to leave classified info on my internet-connected PCs
Are you retarded? It reads from memory, not your SSD. Do you not log into websites?

X230 for significantly better graphics performance, USB 3.0 on all models, and better power management with Ivy Bridge.
You can swap the old keyboard in too if you want.

Yup. Video chip solder joints are fucked. perhaps more.

>have to carry around the 6lb laptop and it's 3lb laptop as well

Why the fuck u use two PCs instead of running secondary OS in a VM on the notebook you like?

I use live OS or a live OS in a VM (I have many PCs in my house and shops so I don't have to carry one or walk far to use it) for surfing so I can reboot an untouched OS between transactions.

DoD agree with that approach and here's their live distro:

spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

I prefer Knoppix which btw comes with the tools to remaster the image as you prefer. If very motivated either boots and runs nicely from DVD which malware cannot write to if finalized.

Just did a clean install of Windows 7 on my X220. Are there Lenovo drivers/utilities that's a necessity?

Why not GNU/Linux?

>leaving the disgustingly wide borders on your stickers
I get that Redbubble is a convenient way to buy stickers, but the thickness to which they cut them makes them much less appealing.

I tried using Linux mint on X61t but wasn't really enjoyable to use. Certain games I couldn't run and I plan on using some art programs that aren't supported nor do I want to jump through a bunch of hoops to get to work.

That's how you evolve.

Guys i'm so tempted to get an X1C5 instead of waiting for the T480s, especially during this deal at the moment

I don't know what to fuck to do.

I don't even know if I really need the quad core CPU, and I don't know how much battery it will drain etc.

Guys i'm so tempted to get an X1C5 instead of waiting for the T480s, especially during this deal at the moment

I don't know what to fuck to do.

I don't even know if I really need the quad core CPU, and I don't know how much battery it will drain etc.