Refurbished Solid State Drive

So i was talking to a friend and he suggested buying a solid slate drive for my laptop. Im not looking for tech support just interested in pros and cons of buying a brand new one vs buying a refurbished one. I often buy refurbished since its cheaper i still have my TV and my laptop from 6 years ago that i both got refurbished. Is it really worth it to go brand new on these things as i can get almost twice the space on the one im looking at for the same cost as a new one. Im looking at 250gb new vs 500gb refurbished. Id love to save 80 bucks but if i need to buy new ill buy new refurbished has not failed me yet but its always good to get a second opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/optane-ssd-dc-p4800x-brief.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the use the SSD has endured. SSDs degrade much faster than HDDs.

This, user. Most HDD degrade primarily with the process of time. SSD degrade with use.

>SSDs degrade much faster than HDDs.
?
Even the shittiest planar TLC easily hits >2k P/E cycles.

An SSD used with care could last virtually forever. However most people unknowingly use the SSD for downloading large files like Windows updates, games and movies and then delete the files when it inevitably gets topped up with shit. Or they use it for video editing which is basically the same as intentionally burning through it.

And how does that compare to hard disks?

Very well.

Don't buy HDDs or SSDs used unless they're open box or damaged box. If it has ever been used in a PC, it's not worth it.

OP here from my understanding with refurbished some of the items are not even touched and its just the company trying to resell the item before having to junk it. Like the box was opened and they could not say new. I still have my lenovo laptop that i bought refurbished but recently its been acting slow ive had it for about 5 years now. So my friend said dude just get a ssd and clone your hdd onto it. I play some mmos and work with word and excel for work so he said it would make those programs instant. Im looking at Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB Internal Serial ATA Solid State Drive for Laptops for 90 bucks refurbished. From what i read online and from reviews it seems like a solid deal but any additional advice is welcome.

How do you even refurbish an SSD? Sounds like bullshit.

>Refurbished Solid State Drive
There's no real way to refurbish a ssd, so if it's manufacturers refurbished it's pretty much good to go since it was probably returned to manufacturer for other reasons outside of malfunction, but if it's just a random dickhead refurb, or working environment pull then expect something less than stellar.

>damaged box
Don't buy mechanical drives with a damaged box, because if it was handled poorly enough to damage the box then the drive itself is most likely trashed.

kek, I use SSD's for cashing my downloads and processing them using par2, unrar.

I think I do about 4TB of total writes a week on them, one has died after a year which was a samsung 850 pro 256

>Don't buy mechanical drives with a damaged box, because if it was handled poorly enough to damage the box then the drive itself is most likely trashed.
depends on the packaging, but why risk it.

SSDs wear out with write cycles. to monitor and control its wear, each SSD keeps track of these write cycles. there are tools which read this data and tell you how worn it is. if you buy used, go by the diagnostics data and verify it yourself.

im going to do this ill run a diagnostic on it and see if its good or not if its good ill keep it if not ill return it worst case i lose 12 dollars on shipping

some of them are worth it, I remember buying refurb hdd, it was busted controller with less than a year usage, so is like a brand new drive. Don't know if ssd nowadays have shitty controller, not sure it can be replaced either.

20% of HDD die within 4 years according to some old HDD reliability tests.

Modern SSD will probably outlast HDDs given how much wear they can take. Samsung 850 Pro can take a >9 petabyte beating.

Low long would it survive? If you use for example, 1 TB writes of data on SSD every day, it would last nearly 30 years.

Or imagine writing to a HDD @ 100%(~100 MBps) speed for nearly 3 years straight.

Modern SSD can last a lifetime. 1 TB is an extreme amount of writes per day and even that will last 30 years. If you do a modest 100 GB per day writes on your SSD, it will last 250 years. That's 10+ generations of family. Or in other words, if you bought a Samsung 850 Pro SSD before the US declared itself independent and used 100 GB writes every day, your SSD would still be working today.

>Samsung 850 Pro can take a >9 petabyte beating.
some can, some won't just like with HDD's some will fail prematurely mine died after 1 petabyte.

There's still Intel's 3D Xpoint too, which is supposed to last even more. Some reviewers said Intel's new SSDs can last 10x longer than traditional nand ones. So it might endure100+ petabytes writes.

We need someone to buy it and test the endurance of it (it will take few months probably to get an actual record)

>intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/optane-ssd-dc-p4800x-brief.html
Their 375 GB officially states 20.5 Petabytes.
750 GB states 40 Petabytes.

I bought a refurbished 850 Evo from Best Buy, because they have a very short return policy so there's not a lot of time for the original purchaser to fuck it up.

Ran Crystaldisk on it and it had only been powered on for about 100 hours. Ran Samsung's software on it, and it had a lifetime write cycle of 0.4 TB on a 250GB. Run SMART analysis when you get it, but it should be fine.

The 1 petabyte one was probably a fluke and bad luck with the silicon lottery

since the price has stagnated there really isn't any significant downside to buying used if you can, especially for smaller capacities. as long as you don't buy an ancient model, and a shit brand you will be fine. a samsung 830, 840 etc are all fine and have endurance in the petabyte range. so even factoring wear on the drive you should still be able to get good use out of it used.

Anything before 850 is bit iffy and wouldn't trust them to get 1 PB.

Also lower size = faster death. Lower size + older SSD = fastest death.

the 830 Pro is one of the first consumer SSD's to be stress tested in the Petabyte range (with recorded endurance hitting 3.5PB+). and I would trust an 830 Pro and 840 Pro over a newer 850 evo with it's garbage TLC chips.

normalfags don't even put a dent into their lifetimes

>over a newer 850 evo with it's garbage TLC chips.
Dude GAA floating gate/charge trap lmao.