HAPPENING: Intel pulled Spectre MCU patch

>Intel has updated their security advisory recommending to stop deployment of current versions of the MCU patch as they may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior.

support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

>been using ubuntu for a couple years, rock solid, never crash, weeks of uptime.
>install intel proprietary microcode update
>system freezes each time i watch a video, rebooted 5 times in 24h.

we're all screwed

>we're all screwed
Only Intlels. Well, there are many but at least the number will shrink fast.

Sup Forums, i'm a brainlet, what does this article convey?

You're fucked.

when normalfag jews think the natural operation of a CPU is an 'exploit'

wew..............

fucking just have ONE syscall that flushes the cache, and use it after authentication operations

how hard is this to understand

Nothing backup, nuke and pave won't solve. Worrying about every vuln on a personal machine is a bit silly. Reinstall, don't patch, wait.

We tend to forget how long totally fucked family Windows boxes still function. Backup your data such that you won't mind reinstalling where useful. It's not the autist answer but it works.

>higher than expected reboots

>ugency=medium
What the hell is urgent in the eyes of mint?

Looks like Intel and M$ are competing to be the most incompetent.

it's not the number of reboot that bothers me, it's the random freezes.

watch video playlist, skip to next video, computer completely freezes. can't switch to tty, doesn't respond to REISUB sysreq keys. hard reboot needed...

also, absolutely no trace of the bug in the logs, syslog, kern.log, xorg.0.log... it's like nothing happened.

I'm getting this behavior on my 2500K, random freezes that lasts 2-5 seconds. I'll nope the fuck out of intel as soon as possible.

Every operation is accompanied with an authentication

Yea, same hero, but it's the screen stopping being updated other than the mouse on integrated gpu. Change to another TTY and back fixes it but it's super annoying.

>buying Intel and supporting actual zionism

I don't have a problem with Jews but Israel is an oppressive country that needs to be gone.

You are NOT affected. The problem arose due to the microcode update, not the Windows update. Furthermore, Intel only updated microcodes for Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell and above. Your processor had been abandoned by Intel.

You think you know what you're talking about, but you actually don't.

works fine here on haswell hp crapbook

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline

kys shitskin loving cuck

If only memory prices were lower. AMD would be making a killing right now with many upgraders switching.

>you could build a baller PC right now for 300€
>add 200 for RAM
>add 500 for a 1060 or 800 for a 580

Thing is, intlel did expected some random reboots, jist not that high...
At least that's how it sounds to me.
t.different user

actually I already flashed a new coreboot bios with that new microcode to my laptop and didn't really notice any difference. just saying.

DELIT DIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please fag, I use AMD like any sane person would have done from 1997 and onwards.

fuck off and stop spreading dumb ass bullshit
even if Intel processors were to freeze or hang up like you're claiming (HP as a source when they're the laughing stock of industry, lol) they would still freeze less than whatever AMD has to offer
my Intel i7-8700K CPU has been functioning properly, the patch is working as intended, with negligible performance impacts in very-specific workloads that are irrelevant as home users, or even professionals, rarely use them

crashes are now called reboots.....

Fuck them and their newspeak

Cinnamon bug fixes.

>they would still freeze less than whatever AMD has to offer
The absolute state of intel fags, so blinded by loyalty while being fucked in the ass by intel.

Believe what you want to believe, you are a great example of buyers remorse and the consumer version of the Stockholm syndrome

>no microcode update because sandy bridge-e
feels gud man

me 2

x79 eatx represent

>feels good to use insecure platform
nice

He doesn't understand...

Enjoying your functioning properly & working as intended random reboots and crashes?

AMD MASTERRACE

I just had a crash. Do computers have placebo effect? I thought only AMD put AI in their chips.