Why do the US navy and Marines need planes? I understand helicopters but planes?

Why do the US navy and Marines need planes? I understand helicopters but planes?

Other urls found in this thread:

warisboring.com/fd-how-the-u-s-and-its-allies-got-stuck-with-the-worlds-worst-new-warplane-5c95d45f86a5#.4jlbjy4u2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they are FREE to have planes.

Le bombs
Le stealth
Le speed

CAS

Also the navy is the one with the carriers, not the AF.

Airplanes can have torps or ASM so they're useful to the navy, carriers etc
Marines like CAS and not having to go through another branch, it's for expediency purposes

Why not?

>2016
>torps

Flying submarines man
Why do you think they have those cute lil wings?

What good is the airforce if the navy and army have helicopters and planes?

>tfw everything in this age is about jet propelled missiles

Everyone knows what life begins in ocean

It's not just the US navy which has planes. Several other countries do the same thing. Because aircraft carriers exist.

AF for air strips on land
Navy for carriers
The army has transport planes and helicopters, but for air superiority and CAS they depend on the other branches.

>Why do the US navy and Marines need planes?
For completion.
Our Royal Marines and Paras RNavy and Army regiments fuck around with floaty shit.
RAF have planes.

to fight back IJN carrier strike fleets

Because planes can be launched from ships.
If you put airforce planes on navy ships it would be a weird chain of command.
Marines are Department of the Navy btw.

IJN carriers were underused though?

I feel I should apologise to the world for the parachute regiment.
They are the cunt regiment. Not quite as skilled as the Royal Marines but angry because they know they're not as good. That time on Gladiators. Para lost to a Royal Marine there too.

Not forgetting that 3 Para also is super gay, gay enough to work as rentboys.

>Rumours of strange goings on in 3 Para Mortars date back to the 1980s when a member was found to be supplementing his meagre military salary by working as a 'rent boy'.

your marine corps seem to think otherwise tho

warisboring.com/fd-how-the-u-s-and-its-allies-got-stuck-with-the-worlds-worst-new-warplane-5c95d45f86a5#.4jlbjy4u2

>In many ways, America’s new, universal jet was born in the confusion, chaos and bloodshed of World War II’s jungle battlefields.
>In August 1942 a force of U.S. Marines stormed ashore on Guadalcanal, part of the Solomons island chain in the South Pacific. Less than a year after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. and its allies were still fighting a defensive action against Japanese forces. The Guadalcanal landing was meant to blunt Tokyo’s advance.
>But the lightly-equipped Marines ended up surrounded and all but abandoned after Japanese ships wiped out a portion of the Allied fleet. The Navy withdrew its precious aircraft carriers, and for months the Japanese planes, opposed by only a handful of Marine fighters flying from a crude beachhead airstrip, pounded the hapless Americans.
>Luckily, the Marine survived his nearly suicidal confrontation with the Zero. But as an organization, the Marine Corps was forever changed by its exposure on Guadalcanal. “The lesson learned was that the U.S. Marine Corps needed to be able to bring its air power with it over the beach because the large-deck Navy aircraft carriers might not always be there,” said Ben Kristy, an official Marine historian.

>Marines like CAS and not having to go through another branch, it's for expediency purposes

I still find this to be one of the most stupid reasons even if in reality it is understandable and possibly even more effective way of managing things. But it shouldn't be so.

>Marines are Department of the Navy btw.
I always thought USMC was an independent force.