Why is font rendering so shit by default on Linux?

Why is font rendering so shit by default on Linux?
Yes, yes, I know, patchsets, keep your Arch autism to yourselves. If they're so great, why aren't they the default?

>why aren't they the default?
Licensing issues. Fedora, RH, OpenSUSE are not in agreement to ship particular patches.

Why would you need super special fonts to begin with when the most common ones that are libre work fine?

Linux is a kernel. It doesn't render fonts.

Fun fact: some of Windows' font rendering is done in the kernel

Didn't they fix this in Windows 10?

No patchsets, bitch.

Font rendering in Ubuntu is breddy gud

Font rendering on Linux distros is shit but can be fixed and made good.

Font rendering on Windows is ass, and to fix it you need a program that has compatibility issues with some software and ignores Windows 10 apps. Seriously one of the biggest issues I have with Windows is the fucking font rendering.

Just disable smearing and it's fine.
And install MS fonts.

That's why I use a mac.

t. Brainlet

No smart can fix that shit.

Fake news

I never understood why people find mac-style smoothed-to-the-point-where-they're-blurry-garbage font rendering superior to sharp rendering.
It's text, you're supposed to be able to read it. Ever seen a book written were fonts used to print it were blurry?

most fonts are hard to read if the smoothing isnt on the highest setting. every letter will have additional pixels attached to them to make them look weird.

Nope. In fact the spinning dots loading animation in Windows 8 and onwards is a special Unicode character where the animation itself is rendered by the kernel

fuck off, Richard

fonts looking like this was very common just a few years ago and often it would look much worse too

I hope that in the next version they change the whole font shit. Rendering engine, fonts used by default, change the whole fucking thing.

What's the fucking point of doing that?

eh? What sort of version of LO is that?
pic related is 5.2.7.2 running on debian stable.
And yes I restarted the program after applying changes.

better example

That type of rendering probably worked better on comparatively blurry CRT screens.

maybe but that was the default in many linux distros just a few years ago and most people have used non crt screens for a really long time now.

I'm semi-blind. Is pic good enough?

looks like you have some kind of font rounding enabled.

>Why is font rendering so shit by default on Linux?
Linux doesn't render any fonts.

Console fonts are rendered by the GPU

>words can't have two meanings
Imagine suffering from this degree of retardation.

Default Fedora. Cry harder.

only in text mode, in framebuffer mode linux renders them

/thread

I set hinting in xfce to full and it's good

>sharp rendering
>shows rainvows
ur a dum

>>shows rainvows
eh?

looks fine on macOS

that looks pretty bad

it looks pretty good in Solus too

It's pretty bad because i'm poorfag with 1366x768.
But it's bad, not shit.