How was Europe like before potatoes?

How was Europe like before potatoes?

There was nothing before potatoes. Not even Dinosaurs. All that is, and ever will be, sprung forth from potato.

thief!!

GIVE BACK MY POTATOES!!!

Cabbage

We ate rice and boiled chestnuts here.

Tons of cabbage and fava beans too.

They belong to Peru, calm down, you've got guarana and tapioca, oh whatever would the world do without Brasil's agricultural contributions?

turnips and chestnuts

Probably cabbage and porridge all day, every day, plus berries, walnuts, hazelnuts, chestnuts etc

groats with butter and beer

>no tomatoes
they were eating dirt.

>rice

That was only after you had contact with asia

No, we had rice pretty early from land trade, I'm pretty sure.

It was at the very least still more commonly eaten than the potatoes for a while, since they replaced a lot of it.

arent chestnuts too small to be main dish?

need to eat pretty many of them to be full i think

We're both wrong. Apparently the moors introduced it in Iberia only, but it became rare-ish after we kicked them out, and was reintroduced later (at roughly the same time as potatoes).

I knew it was old because there are a couple of siege-surviving dishes we have that have rice in them.

You just ate a lot of them. Also cabbage, kale and turnips. Most Mediterranean food at least, was very soup-based, though, and meat was only for special occasions or rich people. Keep in mind the population was far far less dense.

>How was Europe like before potatoes?

Really bad.
t. German

Also, bread, sardines and some bitter/sour fruits, if you lived close enough to the shore.

A lot more starving Irishmen

>Island country
>Can't fish
They deserved it, desu.

Tomatoes are ours, same as with maize, chili, squash, chocolate, vanilla, even awesome stuff like chocolate pudding fruit and dragon fruit. Get on my level.

A world without Mexico would be a world without flavor.

>How was Europe like before potatoes?
Literally unable to support its population. Why do you think so many Europeans left for the Americas?

Mehico's 2nd most valuable export goods are cannabis products, ergo Eurasian.
Get on our level.

You made flour out of it, or just ate lots. Ironically, what was once the staple food of poor people, is now extremely costly

hey we had most of that stuff too.

>A world without Mexico would be a world without flavor.

Can't disagree.

Most of it was all over the Americas. Maize and squash were important staples in British-controlled America and the early US.

>chocolate pudding fruit
Never heard of it and we have access to most of your food. Is it called something else?

death and misery

False, the plauge fixed the population problem and led to the Renaissance.

Suply and demand, it's not our faults you people are pussies unwilling to try real drugs

Anyway, what? We are the biggest car maker in North America, the largest TV exporter in the world, we make everything from computers to toys, plus the largest silver producer for nearly half a millenium and we've also got large steel and glass industries, oil, etc. Where are you getting your source on cannabis?

Hunting and fishing and mostly pillaging and invading.

And we had potatoes too, but we didn't domesticated potatoes.

Corn, cocoa (chocolate), vanilla, etc. were all domesticated in mesoamerica.

>Ironically, what was once the staple food of poor people, is now extremely costly
This happened with fish in this country and parts if animals like ribs, chicken wings, lobster, etc. Everything is expensive now.

shut up you dirty mexican

Memes

>We are the biggest car maker in North America
NAFTA must die.

>we
>we
>we

why are you roleplaying? you yourself haven't contributed anything

>Where are you getting your source on cannabis?
They probably just think memes = facts.

Grains and turnips for starches iirc.

Europeans can't even handle psilocybin mushrooms without killing themselves. Peyote is way out of their league.

Whoever had the misfortune of not living on the Mediterranean led a life of misery and hunger. After potatoes were introduced, they just led a life full of misery

It doesn't mean it didn't come from Mexico, maize was painfully and slowly developed here, the current form of tomatoes was developed here (Central Americans had something like yellow cherry tomatoes) squash is Mesioamerican, Chocolate and vanilla only grew here, etc. I'm not claiming stuff like beans and strawberries which we had but did not originate but just because you had it in pre-columbine times doesn't mean it didn't come from Mexico. The Aztecs had emeralds from Colombia, there was such a thing as trade and we even had the Pochteca, a merchant-diplomat class.

>Tomatoes
>Eggplant
>Potatoes
>Tobacco
>Peppers
>all part of the nightshade family found in the new world

what did people do before the new world?

Black zapote

>pre-Spanish injun states
>in any way related to Mexico

Amanita muscaria

>what did people do before the new world?
Drink and kill each other mostly.

Famines every second Wednesday

Well . you are right.

The trade was a big thing actually. Tainos were the merchants of the caribbean, when they meet the spaniards they thought they were just someone else comming to trade.

Both Mesoamerica and Aridoamerica (and every single of the indigenous peoples living there) were forced to merge into Mexico under the Spanish rule. To this day most of those peoples still exist, and they are all Mexicans (10% of the population). And large parts of their cultures became ours when it fused with the Spanish culture, making the Mexican syncretism.

Funny, Mexicans are only savage amerindians when it's convienient.

I guess Vikings are completely unrelated to Scandinavians

I'm talking about my country/culture, you do understand the concept of figure of speech?

kek

Colombia also had advanced civilization, the Muisca-Chibcha, I've never understood why don't you talk about them or why they never became as well known as Aztecs, Maya or Inca. Even Guaranies seem to have a stronger cultural pressence today.

Just ignore this autistic roleplaying mexican.

IDK really.I
But it wasn't as impresive like the incans or aztecs desu.

They ate a lot of cereals. The potato was a major factor in ending routine famines (except in Ireland, LOL) as they grew underground and were comparatively safe from weather damage and marauding armies.