/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Last thread reaching critical mass
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/mQPFJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/37vjjc
asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#Memory
gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvkb#tabs-qvl
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=379
pcpartpicker.com/product/FJZ2FT/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-oc-video-card-gv-n1050oc-2gd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

GPU prices are fucked, find a card at a brick and mortar or getting used parts locally is about the only hope gamefags.

>gamefags
Where the fuck do you think you are?

Please help choosing a motherboard for my 8700 (locked)

I'm thinking ASRock - Z370 Extreme4. Anything better for about the same price range?

Are there any good matx cube cases around $50 that includes a fan controller?

Will prices be fucked forever? I'm losing hope that crypto will ever have the bottom fall out. How are GPU manufacturers going to respond?

I don't think so, just get the Thermaltake V21 and buy an additional fan controller. 50$ isn't much if you want a good case.

sighs still waiting on tax returns and still stuck with this shitty monitor setup also still in this recliner typing on my lap

Thoughts on corsair AIO coolers and watercooling in general?

ima super poorfag, I recently sold my pc to help fund my vehicle, unfortunately the next day the motor in the car blew. about $900 down the drain.

It was a Dell Optiplex 990 with i5 2500 8gb. I had thrown in an SSD,PSU,and a 1050ti.

I was pretty satisfied with its overall performance. and have the option to buy another 990( i5 2500 8gb ram 1tb HDD) for $100.

Do I basically recreate the PC I just sold? SSD and PSU can be had on CL cheap. gtx 1050ti was good enough for the games I play so I can find one of those easy.

Or do I build a much better system piece by piece for the next two months

mostly used for asthetics. They do work great but a decent Air cooler will work just fine.

Id say if your gonna do it go with a 240mm Rad, after that they all perform well.

The Kraken x52 is pretty sexy

Build a better system if you have the patience, i would recommend something along these lines
pcpartpicker.com/list/mQPFJV
I would wait on the GPU for a sale or something

This kid has a better rig than you.

EVGA and NVidia let you buy directly from them with a 1-2 limit per household.

Found a 500gb ssd for 179 cad

Is that good?

Jesus I hope GPU prices get uncucked soon. I was gonna build a new computer with my next paycheck but I'm not about to blow an arm and a leg on a fucking $700 GPU. I have bills to pay!
Really? I'll have to look into this.

HOLY SHIT IF HIROGOOKY DOESNT FUCKING FIX THESE CAPTCHAS I'M GONNA DOX AND FIREBOMB THE FUCK OUT OF EVERY JANITOR AND MOD ON THIS SHITHOLE SITE I'VE DONE THE CAPTCHA 40 TIMES AND IT STILL WONT FUCKING GO THROUGH UNTIL I PICK EVERYTHING IT ASKS ME *NOT* TO SELECT

Fuck the noscript captcha, at least the robot one seems to never stop working.

whats everyones opinion on the i7-8700k are there better cpus in the same price range or cheaper?

I dont even have noscript running on Sup Forums because I want to be a good little bitchboi and give the gook his ad revenue but I'm about to stop posting here altogether and just become a lurker. The captchas are fucking S T U P I D almost as bad as a retard in a swimming pool. I know he doesn't program recaptcha, some crosseyed pajeet who doesn't know his hand from his butthole is programming them. I just wish they'd get rid of it or find a different one at least. It's so awful. I'm legit picking blank spots on the captcha and it's going through but when I actually do what it wants me to I might aswell fuck myself with a pitchfork. Thanks google.

Holy shit it's doing it again. How many fucking times do I need to select bridges and roads and fucking signs??? Fuck this I'm going back to 7chan. How do I email cp to India? I want that country glassed harder than we glassed the fucking nips.

IT JUST SAID I PASSED AND THEN I GOT THE FUCKING ERROR I MISTYPED IT FGUCK THIS FUCKING SITE I AM SO ANGRY

Greetings /pcbg/

We're getting new computers at work and we unfortunately use Dell as a vendor. They priced out at over $2200, so I told our IT director I can just build one for cheaper that will end up being more powerful.

pcpartpicker.com/list/37vjjc

I checked the ram at asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#Memory for F4-3200C16Q-16GRK and it is listed. I'm not sure about the video card, but I don't need a powerful one. M.2 ssd for host os, and 1tb hdd for VMs.

I'm a C/C++ programmer that unfortunately deals with php now and then. Primarily using this as windows OS with hyper-v VMs. Usually running another windows vm for testing, and an ubuntu vm for server development and testing.

Should I drop 300+ Eur for a 1700 + Mobo Combo? Want to some light neural Network training and see whats all the Fuss about VR is about with my 2x 1080ti.

Do these have any issues with AMD? The QVL only lists intel chipsets.
gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvkb#tabs-qvl

And are any of these motherboards recommended over the others. I can get them for roughly the same price, except the biostar (less) and msi tomahawk (more). Planning to get a ryzen 1600
MSI B350 Tomahawk
MSI B350 PC Mate
Asus Prime B350-Plus
Biostar X370GT3
ASRock AB350
MSI B350 PC Mate
Asus PRIME X370-A

Ryzen 7 1800x with 8 cores and 16 threads, same price and better multicore performance, if you want to save some bucks go for the 1700x

Hey Sup Forums, I'm getting a vive, but i'll be overclocking my 3570k to use it. Can someone recommend me a good cooler for it? Currently looking at the CM 212 Evo.

And this is without this week's Intel speed reduction patches.

It's easier to start at the mobo and pick RAM from THAT qvl.

Christ, I hadn't looked into GPU prices recently. The best I can even find in stock is a $150 1050.

That's a good price for a 990 regardless. If you're so poor you have to sell a computer to fix a car don't put any more money into PCs for the time being.

>Don't have full budget
>Panic though because GPUs are rising
>Go full meme and just order everything
>Buy a HDD instead of an SSD to save money (temporary)
>Check budget
>Still have £5 left
>Congratulate self on saving money
>Realise afterwards I didn't buy a case
>Only option I have is using an old desktop case I have from 2007 or waiting 3 weeks to buy a new case

What a fucking jerk. Is it simple enough to switch out the components into the new case if I use the old case or am I better off waiting? Also is there anything I should have downloaded like drivers or whatever ready to install or do they come with the components? As you can probably tell I've never built a computer before so I'll appreciate any help that isn't telling me to kill myself.

Why is the 8400 no longer in the OP recommendations?

Anybody know any good 144hz monitor for a good price? My dumbass bought a cheap one without gsync in it.

I can get an okay price for a used NH-D15, but I'm using a 8400. Should I even bother with non-stock cooling with a non-overclockable CPU?

No reason other than AMD fanboyism. It's still a great CPU, even better once cheaper Coffee Lake motherboards get released.

Great choices, I'd go with at least a gtx 1050 but if you want to spend a little less go for a rx 460

As a poorshit eastern euro
>how long do you think until GPU prices go back to normal?
>do we need an 80% crypto crash?
>when will I be able to buy 2x4GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM for less than 90 fucking euro?

My first build in like 8 years, I was using a laptop.
Barebones as fuck and still waiting for my gpu which is in the mail, should get here in a couple days.

Once I save enough money to cover what I've spent so far I'll buy a NVMe SSD, for now the HDD will have to do.

$670 is way too high for a 1080

>fell for the Rypoo meme

>Dual GTX 1080ti
>To play minecraft

top kek

I got myself
>I7 4790K
>Hyper Evo 212 heatsink
>enough 2600mhz DDR3 RAM
I really wanted to get myself a Z97-A cuz I heard it's easy as hell to OC with that thing, but now I can't find any on ebay. What other mobos would you recommend me Sup Forums?
Plus any good cases for low budget? ~70€? I had an eye on a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 but even though they are 4 years old they got more expensive over time and now cost over a hundred.

Wireless GPUs

Thanks for checking it out.

GTX 1050 seems to bench higher than the RX550, but also costs ~$30 more. rx460 is in the same price range. I'm currently at about 1900, and don't want to go any higher, is the performance difference going to be noticable? If so, then $30 seems fine. It isn't even my money, but I don't want the company buying stuff they don't need.

sure you need to factor in the cost of windows?

>pirating shit at work

>pirating
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

as in, your company is getting multiple new computers, and surely microsoft would have some kind of a bulk deal for that sort of thing? not only that, but the cost of windows is going to be the same anyway, so why bother including it?

unfortunately yes. A while ago (before I worked here) there was this big fiasco involving our licensing structure for our CRM which involved several thousands payout. I'm not gonna cross that line and they treat licensing very seriously.

Plus the license for this current computer (along with the computer itself) is going to an intern or something.

They're only moving a few people at a time to new computers to spread the cost over the year, plus they don't want to deal with a million complaints all at the same time about how "the new one doesn't work!"

How much does brand actually matter (for anything other than the CPU)? If at all

A lot if warranty is important to you.

Is doing a custom water loop worth the effort? I like the idea of having a nearly silent computer with immense power.

The 1050 has newer architecture, it will be more efficient

I'm terrified of leaks, one little nudge in a tube and your expensive components could be ruined

Don't worry, I'm autistic about spatial awareness.

MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, or Zotac?
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=379

I asked a seller of a pc for info about how good the thermals was. he responded like so:
OCCT small/medium/large (MAX) = 81C / 73C / 72C (short tests)
FURMARK 1080 preset (MAX) 63C (score 6192)
FURMARK 1080 preset OC (MAX) = 64C (score 6431), OC = +15%CV / 120% Powerlimit / Core +125MHz / Mem +125MHz
does anyone know the signifcance of these results? is that good or problematic?

Ok but in terms of the actual components, is there any difference in quality assuming similiar specs?

How much could I sell my RX 480 for

If it's a GPU the cooling will be different depending on the manufacturer. Some are better than others, just look for reviews.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm not set on the ram, just wondering why it only shows intel chips in the qvl.
I was asking about the motherboards in general. But it seems like the asus boards have some issues with ram so I think I'll get the msi b350 pc mate. I just wish it had more sata ports.

There are sometimes outliers of shitty quality, but the big names are generally safe. Just check on the specific product you're looking at if there are any widespread problems people have. I've had both EVGA and MSI and no problems with them.

If it has the latest USB 3.1 something or other meme, then that should have the bandwidth to max out any SATA3 drives. If all else fails, you can get a PCIe M.2 card mount.

Thanks m8s

Oh, and they also make PCIe SATA port hub things.

anyone?
I should clarify that the specs in question are a i7-7600k and a gtx 1070. I just wanna know if the build will throttle or take damage in the long run doing intense gaming cause the case is rather small.

I recommend Gigabyte or EVGA, go with this one pcpartpicker.com/product/FJZ2FT/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-oc-video-card-gv-n1050oc-2gd

Anything below like 91c isn't damaging. Pascal might start throttling a little bit around 81c, but you can avoid it by adjusting the fan curve in something like MSI Afterburner.

right but do these tests actually do a fair job of representing the load of, say, open world AAA games? I am not familiar with them

Yeah I think I'll get a pci card. I already have a few drives so getting m.2 won't really fix the problem.
>latest USB 3.1
do you mean using it as an external drive?

>hehe

Yeah, it has the bandwidth. Might be a clusterfuck of cables but it's available.

There's also drive docks you can get.

>msi b350 pc mate
Great mobo, if i remember correctly it has cl14 and cl15 to choose from
That would fix it

When are the new cards set to come out? Considering buying a 1080 but I might as well wait and just do a full upgrade of mobo, CPU and GPU later this year

New cards never come out before GTC. The aftermarket (good) ones don't come out until way after that.

Noctua NH L9i vs i5-7600k.
who would win?

buy an xbox

So currently I'm building a pc for the first time.
All I need now is an os, and I am wondering which windows 10 version would be most optimal choice for gaming.
It might be a dumb question, but I'm just honestly kind of confused here.
I plan to use a drive to install windows, and buying the key online from possibly a third party website.
Does anyone have some advice? Thanks.

Just get the cheapest Z370 if you don't plan on upgrading to 8700K later.

>Kaby Lake

The fire department.

You need a Z97 board to overclock your CPU, any other compatible mobo won't let you OC.

bump for this

windows 10 home

the pro version is nice because it comes with the ability to do virtual machines in hyper-v. Older versions of home (8 and prior) did not have gpedit and virtual disk manager on them, but I don't think that's the case with windows 10 anymore.

The cost difference between the two is currently $48. If you like to dabble in other OSes and want a more complete OS, pick pro. Otherwise pick home if you mean you are _only_ gaming on that machine.

With windows 10, everything is subject to change. Eventually something will be disabled in home that pro will get, and people might freak out. Or that might never happen, 50-50

I'm mostly planning to game, and work with adobe products, photoshop, flash, premiere, etc, and work on some game makers as well.
Thanks for the help.

why is the athlon x4 950 no longer on pcpartpicker?

>>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE

this is fucking retarted

the mobo price for a coffeelake cpu is ridiculous compared to 1151 which are as low as 40 dollars

>trusting a $40 mobo

they're made by the same legit brands who make your autistic fucking 200 mobos

ive never had a fucking mobo mess up

also i dont even use case fans, they fucking stay at under 30C at all times

Sounds like you just have a facebook machine.

>also i dont even use case fans

You sound mad that you're stuck with a shit mobo

>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
Some butthurt AMD fanboy took the i5 8400 out again
Pic related is the only gaming CPU benchmark that matters

They removed it because of the security issues.

pro allows you to change the updates dumbass

home will auto fucking install everything, pro lets you set it to enterprise only and also indefinitely pause updates for 1 year

Oh wow that's 9 FPS difference for buying a company that sold a product knowing the security flaw, without HT, with a shit thermal paste instead of soldering the IHS, and using a unlocked board that costs more than half of the locked CPU itself.

>i7 7700T
Of course you have a shitty board, you also have a shitty CPU.

didnt feel like needing an autistic psu, my 30 dollar evga 430watt works just fine

And expensive, $30 more he could have gotten a 1800x