What is the general opinion on Free Download Manager...

what is the general opinion on Free Download Manager? and are there any alternative that combine both direct downloads and torrents? i hate bloating my PC with crap for every little function.

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativeto.net/software/free-download-manager/
aria2.github.io
github.com/aria2/aria2/issues/378
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>download manager
Fucking why
What's wrong with the one your web browser comes with and just sorting all your shit yourself

Sounds like malware desu. Use your browser for direct downloads and a torrent client for torrents.

WHAT YEAR IS IT

the one integrated with chrome isn't very reliable especially with shit internet, doesn't have a download resume function in case the download got interrupted, and can't download videos off of youtube.

Use youtube-dl and wget
Lightweight and robust

dumbass just use two programs that do their function well like no point combining them all into one

aria2c

but FDM does both functions perfectly, why would i wanna bloat my PC with tons of shitty little programs instead of one general-purpose piece of software that combine several similar functions?

There's something called uGet, faggot

I gave it a try by trying to download some files from MEGA site, and apparently, I couldn't do that. For some reason, it just fetches a .html file instead. I also tried wGet too, and I had the same misfortune problem.

JDownloader is the only one who can download from MEGA correctly, it seems for my end, so I use it instead. I have 8GB of RAM, and I don't use it all the time, so it being developed in Java doesn't really bother me in my case.

Look at this site. It has reviews of it.
alternativeto.net/software/free-download-manager/

*uGet

use wget or another FOSS tool.

>1080p sub 50MiB
remove yourself

Your browser already does direct downloads, so you're still "bloating" it with two programs. Difference is this shitty software is actual bloat, and probably spyware as well. A torrent client is lightweight as fuck.

Download managers are useful for grabbing huge files and fetching them, bypass the limits of some file sharing sites, keep and continue downloads after they are interrupted and some others functions. Their intention are to improve and gain a better stability at downloading things.
Browsers with their own infused "download managers" are not powerful enough and serve more as a quick way to download lightweight files such as programs and pictures. Browsers are more focused on being fast and quick to display pages and websites than have success at downloading.

>A torrent client is lightweight as fuck.
uTorrent and BitComet would like to talk with you.

aria2 has given me faster speeds on anything I give it and it supports torrents and http.

aria2.github.io
forgot to link
also, if you find two or more sources for the same file you can download from them at the same time which is really useful sometimes

can it do MEGA?

No, github.com/aria2/aria2/issues/378

Wow, you cherry picked two shitty clients. My argument is now invalid.

free download manager is open source and gpl licensed and has a million awards. its probably the best one. i wish it had the function of jdownloader/mipony for managing download sites

No thanks wget and bittorrent are fine for me.