Chinese Thread - 中文主題

Discuss Chinese language and culture. Feel free to talk about Cantonese or dialects in addition to Mandarin.

Resources for Learning Mandarin:

learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427

resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/pronunciation/

resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/

mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

gloss.dliflc.edu

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zhongwen-chinese-english/kkmlkkjojmombglmlpbpapmhcaljjkde

Resources for learning Cantonese:

guidetocantonese.wordpress.com/start/

cantonese.sheik.co.uk/

cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cantonese-popup-dictionar/pjnbhojkojmibobcpfgihhnohboldhip

Best smartphone dictionary (supports both Mandarin and Cantonese):pleco.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YMOZRk74QrY
youtube.com/watch?v=M8PReAbJKtg
hellochinese.cc/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUSIJ80n50
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>learning chink language

I started lessons on Saturday and I already feel like it's paced too slow.
First lesson was literally only hello, who are you and I am.
Should I just do more in advance myself? Obviously i should, but what?
Should I go with spoonfed Chinese? Often heard it here.
Cramming in vocab is vital and I don't want to skimp out on that this time (my Spanish is worthless because I never did any vocab).

Also conflicted about the Hanzi, learning simplified in class but my focus is more on Taiwan so I'd prefer going traditional.
How hard is the switch? Should I just go for traditional straight away despite the book and lessons being in simplified or can I adjust later on?

Yep classes are stupid. Do spoonfed (audio on the front and nothing else) and 20+ words a day
When you're at 2k+ words and 1-2k into spoonfed you'll be able to branch out and such. Tons of chinese stuff has subtitles included so I just watch some shit to listen and pick out phrases and such that use what I do know.

>How hard is the switch?
In terms of reading only, much, much easier than learning them in the first place was. But writing could still be a pain. I don't practice writing at all, but if you do it might be worth practicing writing the traditional form. It might be confusing with your class though since you would need to know both.

请翻译这个句子:
>半斤八兩而已,彼此彼此吧你个丑逼

fuck you chinese

youtube.com/watch?v=YMOZRk74QrY

Thanks. I still think the classes are somewhat helpful especially as a bloody begginer so I'm just gonna wait and see if I feel like booking the next course in October.

The only thing that really bugs me is the god awful pronunciation of the other guys in class.
I mean I'm far from perfect but at least I can manage to make zhi, chi, shi, ri sound different

Is learning Mandarin with an App for smartphones ok? It's pretty fun desu

Where are you taking classes? University? Seriously thinking about learning Mandarin myself.

I'm started classes at a Confucius Institute.
The courses are pretty much generalized all over the world I believe, they all use the same books (Great Wall Chinese) etc

How do I set Anki to play only the audio on new cards? Can't find an option for that.

It's a bit unintuitive because you edit it for a single card and it changes it for all of them.

Btw I just removed all the production cards in the interest of doing more audio a day

Thanks man.
What are production cards tho

The ones with English on the front

so you're saying OP is an ugly cunt just like you?

it's fun but the real difficulty in Mandarin is the vocal aspect. an app wouldn't do much to help you improve

>the real difficulty in Mandarin is the vocal aspect
So you're saying that using an app is generally okay except for speech? Because I could learn that seperately

youtube.com/watch?v=M8PReAbJKtg

I've been cramming Anki to the point I can somewhat okayish read light novels but I can't say anything more complicated than 'I like green tea', fml

yeah it's ok for you to get a good grasp on grammar rules as well as the usage of verbs, adjectives etc. however, spoken Mandarin and written Mandarin can be very different based on regional dialects and also contractions

can someone translate this

which apps do you use?

>knew every hanzi/word except for 牵挂
>no clue what it says
I really need to read more

>this city is so big, i don't wanna miss it anymore, or i may never meet it again.
> not everyone have good luck to have someone in mind, >and maybe in the time you know you know when that person is thinking of you right now
the grammar he use in mandarin is kind of weird to me, or maybe it just bcuz he wanna make it more poetic.
and btw sorry for bad english :(

>this city is so big, i don't wanna miss it anymore, or i may never meet it again.
> not everyone have good luck to have someone in mind,
and maybe in the time you know you or don't when that person is thinking of you also
change a bit to make it more
appropriate

wasted 3 months of my life learning mandarin on memrise 10 hours a day
learned them up until HSK5, pinyin+tone+character
waste of fucking time since i realized i don't want to deal with chinese people AT ALL

damn i kind of screw the form again
ahh
i am such a image board noob :(((((((((((

hellochinese.cc/

It's really not perfect though. You don't learn a lot about writing and pronounciation.

This city is so big, I don't want to screw up again. Otherwise, I might die. Not everyone is so lucky to have to worry about this person. It's also no coincidence that this person is also thinking of you at all times, whether you know it or not.

Taiwanbro probably translated the first sentence better, I had to look up 永别 using a dictionary and it's meaning probably depends on context.

what do you think of hong kong

also
i suggest you change "screw up" to "miss it"
since it say "错过" not "搞砸"
and yes
永别 mean "never see each other again"
so it is used when someone dead or get separated

牵挂 can means "worry" sometime
but in other usage
it can mean 'having someone in mind' cause you 'fall in love with him/her'

so what is the person likely saying about a girl or guy?

Why?

>Chinese thread
>Feel free to talk about minority languages over Mandarin

it is unclear
since the author doesn't use any gender-specific word

How long have you been learning Mandarin? Are you Asian American?

Do you think Chinese characters are a good writing system? How fast can you read Chinese text?

>Guys, I have an idea.
>Let's use a writing system for our language that is so unnecessarily difficult that we have to teach our kids the roman alphabet first before they can understand it.

And thus Chinese was born.

>也不是正好
you know 正好 mean 'just in time'
so if you translate straight 也不是正好
it become 'not so just in time'
which mean 'it is coincidence' the opposite meaning of your's
no
faster than you can imagine :)

pls respond

20 years since i was born :DDD

Let me guess, you saw some webms on Sup Forums.

What do you think of him?

Am I right in feeling like this is an absolute bullshit approach?
Never mind that you simply can not fit 10 hours worth of studying each day in your brain and somehow expect anything to stick long term but 2500 in three months is simply too much to have any realistic learning value.

When was that and how much of it is left?

Chinese characters have some advantages though. Since you don't write the pronounciation but the "idea", every dialect is written the same, so you can read everything that's written in Chinese, even though you wouldn't be able to understand it if someone would speak it in a different dialect. You can also sometimes guess the meaning of a word that you don't know. Also it's not like every character is completely different, it's more like they're made with building blocks. If you know how chinese characters work, you can often guess the pronounciation. Literacy is also not really a problem in China.

I'm not saying that it's perfect but it's definetely not as bad as a lot of people think it is.

That's only 30 words a day that's not even that much. Like that should be doable in an hour (or maybe a little more) each day. You retain it because SRS is awesome (anki is way better than memrise though. Multiple choice = cheating). It's not like you know it super well but you get the annoying part out of the way, because you associate the correct sounds to each characters and you have "recognition" of that many words even if you don't know the nuance

more like hes probably dealt with actual chinese people, lol

hey guise what is this means 我的悲伤辣么大
am in great sorrow for not knoing :^(

please stop invading us. i want to live in a white country.

Redpill me on 打 it's mysterious it's everywhere and has 5 strokes. I just can't warp my head around it.

my sorrow is SO FREAKING HUGE

I miss living in Taiwan guys ;_;

is taiwan an acceptable place to live in for a foreigner? What language do they speak in taiwan?

thank you chinese taipei

they speak vietnamese
it's an ok country

taiwan is so good to live
ive been to twice, i guarantee.
they are relaxed japanese.

I deal with Chinese in New York and I don't get the fuss.

I usually don't deal with fresh off the boat people though.

I Have 0 (Zero) Experience with chinese, Im interested in taking courses. Should I take courses or learn myself witch I think might be too hard. Also, cantonese or Mandarin?

thanks for the lesson

am not of haveing many
this is lonely mokou desu

sorry i was eating dumplings
I'm white, and my family speaks English, but I've been learning Chinese since I was in Kindergarten (13 yrs) from Mandarin immersion schools.
mokou a best

>since I was in Kindergarten (13 years)

are you 16

Aren't you that user who said his Chinese is shit despite learning it for the greater part of his life?
Shameful.

I wants to learn lenguage, but am torn between china and the other one
I just dont know what I should do desu

When does elementary school start?

>are you 16
we start kindergarten at the age of 5-6 my dude
>Aren't you that user who said his Chinese is shit despite learning it for the greater part of his life?
Dunno. I'm not 100% fluent, but I can speak to Chinese people just fine on most topics. My reading is meh though.

Which other one?

I hope 2ch doesn't raid this thread again.

How did you learn mandarin?

you know, the weeb one with the katanas and samurais and animus and all that

He literally just answered that like two posts up

Like I know what the fuck immersion schools are

Okay

t. Sup Forums

I have for 30 years. They really aren't too different from Americans.

watching china rise is like watching the us in the 1800s just slowly developing the entire continent, they're going to be hot shit

Thoughts on this video?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUSIJ80n50

>tfw no pure QT loess plateau wife unspoiled by the western world

Bump

Okay

Do non-Chinese people usually attend those schools? I was thinking about going to one but I'd feel uncomfortable if every other student was Chinese.

Not usually. It's mostly for Chinese parents who want their kids to continue learning their language.
In elementary school there were about 9-10 white kids out of a class of 50. In high school I was one of two white kids taking Chinese :\

I want to know what is the point in learning chinese if I never go to China?

you can go to taiwan instead
we are pretty much the first world version of china

>Taiwan
>first world
choose one and only one.

Oh, so funny, but you are just part of china, chinese taipei :^)

why do some foreigners think this statement is triggering? normies in here just don't give a shit anymore.

try harder next time

But why would you think am trying to trigger?
In this world full of contries is better to say yes to the one thats superior to yours
so for all I care, you are but part of mainland china, and nothing more

omg
are you the real last taiwanese in Sup Forums beside me

fine by me, I don't particularly buy Taiwan as a country either.but also for all I care, Chile is an irrelevant country in SA, and nothing more.

Ya, I'm. what is your thought about 9/3 parade and official servants' pension overall?

look buddy, gonna give to you straight, here is list of countrys that matter in SA, somewaht:
1.Brazil
2.Argentina
3.chile
[Bunch of shit goes here]
99.Paraguay

they can do whatever they want
他們想怎麼搞都隨便啦

but SA except Brazil (maybe Argentina) is pretty irrelevant anyway. so... what's your point?

really? you have no opinion on this issue? are you planning on immigration in future?

i don't see a issue here tbqh
but you can convince me why this is important anyway

Waat?
So you say we all irrelevant, right?
well thats it goodnight sir