/supp/ - Simple Unintrusive Paint Programs

What simple paint program do you use, user?
I'm talking about things like MS Paint, Pinta, KolourPaint, Tux Paint, MyPaint, Gnome-Paint, GNU Paint, and so on.
Something that you use to do quick shitty drawings or very basic edits. Something lightweight and minimal.
Sure there's Photoshop, Gimp, Krita, etc. but those are pretty heavy programs, slow to load, and do way more than needed a lot of the time.

I've used Pinta for this in the past, but I never really liked it. It still didn't seem lightweight enough to me, with support for layers and random effects and shit. I'd use a proper program like Photoshop or Gimp if I wanted that stuff. I found it to be extremely slow and never liked the ugly, cluttered UI.

Instead, I just started trying out KolourPaint earlier today (pic related) and it actually seems pretty comfy. Fast, lightweight, minimal UI. It's basically like MS Paint but slightly more customisable. Thoughts?

Let's do this quick...
>MS Paint
they messed it up and their Paint 3D is kind of convoluted
>Pinta
broken, shit UI
>KolourPaint
the only good one on Linux
>Tux Paint
a fucking toy
>MyPaint
for drawing with tablets
>Gnome-Paint & GNU Paint
broken, incomplete, "Sorry, but the zoom feature has not been implemented yet."
>LazPaint
nice, but an experiment
>Nathive
dead, and it was destined to be, being developed in Python
>the mysterious Paint some GNOME fag works on
not there and their mockup and early screenshots sucked
>mtpaint
garbage UI and tools
>xpaint
the same
>the paint software with the X in the name
the same, also empties your battery thanks to using SDL2 events
>Milton
Uses SDL2 for events, go figure.

/thread

SAI is 6.6MB, or 3MB barebones.
Pretty lightweight I'd say.

>empties your battery thanks to using SDL2 events
The same applies to SFML, by the way.
That's natures way of saying, if you are an OpenGL fag and always wanted to create a non-game application, that's your chance.

>Thoughts?
It's the only option anyway.

>Sorry, but the zoom feature has not been implemented yet.
Kek. Typical Gnome.

What's SAI like then? Is it open source?

Yeah, I'm also not holding my breath for a replacement anytime.

No, it's closed source, Windows only, for pay and looks like shit, according to their homepage. The binary size seems to be the only redeeming feature.

Pinta works.

Kind of, if you ignore the GTK2 artifacts, the retarded way they expect you to use tools and the rectangle/selection bugs. Also, the slow startup times.

>the rectangle/selection bugs.
Haven't they fixed those?

According to the log of the last release from 2015 they fixed one of the selection bugs.

OpenCanvas is like 10 MB.

paint.net
/thread

>tfw I have the Vista version of MS Paint on a USB flash drive.

Does it run under Wine?

>have to install half of KDE to use kolourpaint
lel no

Is it the last one without ribbon cancer?

Stop using a distro with terrible packaging like Ubuntu or Debian. Besides, you should be running a Plasma desktop already anyway.

I don't use GNU/Linux, but IIRC, the XP version of paint works under Wine. Not sure if the Vista version does.

Yes. It's exactly like the XP version except you can undo up to 10 times instead of 3 times.

pls share

paint.net

I simply copied it from a system running Vista x86. Also, don't forget to copy the .mui for MS Paint as well and put it in a subfolder called "en-US".

i don't have a running Vista x86 nearby

>MyPaint
Agree, but it'll fuck you up with the shortcuts if you don't adjust them.
That said, if you get used to them, it's pretty tight for tablet painting and good for quickly doodling up a gif(you have to stitch the frames together in something else though). The (essentially) infinite canvas is pretty sweet and the brush settings are deep, but it's no use without a tablet really.

You can always setup a VM.

Why can't you just upload it

Mspaint ate over 600mb of RAM and made my pc freeze :^(

"ribbon cancer"? What "ribbon cancer"?

The GUI in some Windows 7 default programs as well as Office 2007 and newer.

gentoo

No matter my current DE, I always end up pulling most of KDE anyway, so might as well use the best paint program out there.

What's so good about it?