Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longene
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_layer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wine is not emulator

No problem

What is it then?

A reimplementation, dumb tripfag.

WinAPI ported to GNU/Linux, that can work with Xorg.

an emulator is a reimplementation

What functionality does that bring about?

It brings:
- Windows GUI (Buttons, windows...)
- DirectX
- Windows legacy shit, that some apps still rely
and many more

No. DOSBox is an emulator. There is a big difference, both performance and portability wise.

Does that mean that GNU/Linux, with the addition of the WinAPI port, can behave in a similar manner to Windows?

Basically yes.

that means its an emulator kekkeke xxxxDDDD

got there first

Salam, brother of peace.

My English, it is not so good. Do you know of a word in the English language that describes what is happening when something tries to behave in a similar manner to something else?

Stupid trip faggot

Its a translation layer so its running the original code and isn't an emulator in the computing sense.

then all the emulators out there are in fact not emulators

>isn't an emulator in the computing sense.
What is an emulator, in the computing sense?

>In computing, an emulator is hardware or software that enables one computer system (called the host) to behave like another computer system (called the guest).
This? Or something else?

>What is an emulator, in the computing sense?
Software implementation to mimic hardware code execution.

Bruh it's because it's a te implementation of the winapi, if you can't understand that you're really stupid

when talking about emulators people usually are talking about emulating the underlying instruction set, and not running it directly. but i guess you already knew that

An emulator means the software is running on virtual hardware.
Wine, rather than emulating the hardware of a computer instead reimplemented the windows API.
You could say that wine emulates the windows API, but the programs are not running in an emulator, they're being run just like any other program.

See

In the computing sense an emulator is typically a bunch of fake hardware running the software non-natively.

And LAME is not an mp3 encoder ,':^)

Ya know, would you guys consider virtual machines like VirtualBox an emulator?
On one hand, VirtualBox is emulating an entire computer system, but on the other, modern CPUs have loads of instructions dedicated to virtualized processes, so lots of stuff in a virtual machine is actually being ran on the CPU, rather than an emulated CPU.

Its still an emulated CPU, the resource allocation is just better because the emulation is hardware accelerated.

Ok, how about when you start adding in things like GPU passthrough?

What about it?
Using real hardware in an emulator has been around forever.

*makes up an new ebin le recursive acronym meme acronym*
Hehe, you probably wouldn't understand if I literally spelled it out for you, neurotypical..

If you're using real hardware, is it really emulation?
That was the fucking question. When you start blurring the lines by using real hardware, where do you draw the line between emulation and not emulation.

Don't act retarded, you little fucking tripfaggot shithead.

If you dont understand why WINE is not an emulator you need to get the fuck off Sup Forums

Yeah its still emulation, you just aren't emulating the GPU.

It wasn't really a question, and I wasn't being smug. You are just slightly retarded I'm sorry :(

>Fails to grasp the basic premise of the discussion
>Lol no you're the retarded one

Tripfags in a nutshell.

*emulates your freedom*

Its a fairly simple concept, trolling that WINE is actually an emulator is meant to be a joke not a full on discussion.

I was talking about virtualbox, kid.

Your narcissistic assumptions are a symptom of autism that unfortunately negates any social ability on your part to continue this discussion well past its actual end which was quite a few posts ago.

Either that or you are an unimaginative dipshit that is actually amused by this.

Not him, but you clearly responded to a post talking about virtual machines.
You’re the retarded one here mate, not him.

>not him but...

You're not fooling anyone kiddo

I love how much (You)'s this bait got.
It really triggers the freetards, doesn't it?

You're the same kind of moron who thinks that emulation and simulation are one and the same.

The mental gymnastics will gnu/faggot go through just to deny word of emulator. Face it your inferiority complex

>kiddo
Are you the shitposter from /vr/?
It's your thread, isn't it?

>they're being run just like any other program
They're not though. You can't just run ./notepad.exe, you have to run wrap your executable in WINE. If WINE was part of the kernel and made calls directly to HW you could say it's not an emulator.

Windows also emulates Windows then...

But there are kernels with Wine integrated.

I want to try Wine with some VN. Should i install it from Ubuntu repos or from official PPA? Should i maybe install PlayOnLinux instead? Also where Wine installs all of the Windows programs?

>You can't just run ./notepad.exe
Wrong. Set up your shell correctly and it just werks.

If Wine was an emulator, then everything running on your Linux shitbox would be considered running on an emulator, native programs use libraries and calls just the same way, Wine just redirects them for Windows programs.

If you were running Wine on ARM with Qemu386 for x86 compadability, then it would be emulation.

>Wine is an emulator
Hello Sup Forums.

Yeah, how?

citation needed

A compatibility layer. It converts API calls instead of emulating them.

*crash your game*

Spotted the kid.
Sad you missed out on all the retarded Linux related shit over the decades.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longene

>ctrl+f "wine"
>userland libraries

>ctrl+f
>instead of actually reading and missing the context
There are people this stupid.

>literary mashing ReactOS with Linux
don't know if brilliant or just insane

Isn't kvm better?

*makes your gamepad stop working properly*

*is an insecure bloated bug that doesn't work on my security enhanced OS*

yes it is

Salami to you too, o my brother.
I vidi your post and I'm now sharpen for a bit old in-out in-out

It's not. WINE translates Windows calls to native Linux calls.
It's not emulating anything. It's literally a translator.

If wine is an emulator, then all modern versions of Windows are emulators because they "emulate" Win32 API.

I don't think I'll live long enough to see Wine not being absolute dogshit. People claim it's been massively improved every few months but it's just a recurring joke, like announcing the year of the linux desktop.

No, it's still just a compatibility layer. There's no actual emulation of instructions going on.

How come it's so hard to understand for some people, why are you on Sup Forums if you're a tech illiterate?

It's improving, specially if you kept your eye on it for the past 20 years.
Linux is not a desktop OS though, but a server and embedded OS, anyone claiming otherwise is just delusional in their hobby OS being anything else.
Wine is not Linux exclusive also. Lately the most use I've gotten out of it, is using it on Windows itself.

Wine is great on mac os

I'm actually saying it's not emulator.

When you connect a usb stick to a vm do you emulate usb stick?
Your question was simply that dumb.

tfw just got schooled.

According to wine, it's a compatability layer.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_layer

I hope no one ever touches that fucking CD rack.

For what purpose

*regresses*