Wine 3.0 released

is this the year of the linux desktop? can we finally ditch botnet OS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BbjTdatUTZU&index=28&list=PLgo17YhOlUg4hC0gEafFNmDBLM4FY509z
source.winehq.org/patches/
media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/case_studies/WaltDisney.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

Wine promotes usage of closed source proprietary binaries and shouldn't be used. Using Wine is incompatible with ditching the botnet.

Fuck Wine, long live FOSS.

yes

Can I use Office 2016, Adobe programs and Clip Studio Paint?
I'll fully migrate if that's possible.

>Migrating from Botnes OS just to emulate Botnet Office on an open source OS

ayy

Most likely yes.

Don't tell me what I can and cannot use.

Indeed, but there are situations where there's either no alternative (gaymes), or a normie who refuses to accept any tool other than the one they've been using for some task (Photoshop).
Although to be honest, I just live by the "No Tux, no Bux" philosophy when it comes to gaymen.

I don't care about the freedom meme to that extent, I only care about potential performance, features and being able to rely on multiple platforms. I love GNU/Linux but it doesn't support the software I frequently use.

This is exactly why Wine sucks. As long as we consider proprietary software to be normal these graphics monkeys can only apply the tricks they learn at school on Adobe(c) Photo(r)Shop(tm).

Wine is a fucking meme, DXVK is the future. The guy has done in 4 months what took wine years

>I just live by the "No Tux, no Bux" philosophy when it comes to gaymen
I wish I was half as strong as you. I have no problems doing productivity related task on FOSS but when it comes to gaymen I still relapse to win7 to do some sick laps with Assetto Corsa.

not everyone uses linux because they want to use only free software
i think it's just as damaging to suggest that the only worth linux has is the fact that it's foss, as if there's no other reason to consider it

Let me guess, he based it on wine.

no. you can only run portable msword 2033 and portable photoshop on it.

>OP asks if he can use wine
>@64448706 replies "No, fuck wine".
>Gets told not to tell OP the answer because it was contrary to what OP wanted to hear.
How about don't ask if you can't handle the truth.

aren't you late for class?

Codeweavers is the main contributor to the wine project. It all started when they were hired by Disney to create a compatability layer to allow running photoshop on computer in their gnu/linux rendering clusters.

>@64448706
Fuck off Reddit or at least learn how to link properly to someone's post. Like so faggot.

Games!

Provide any viable (!) alternative to the Photoshop and I will even remove Wangblows from my second harddrive. And no, GIMP is not viable alternative. While it surely can give most of the functionality, all of the work takes five times more time to do it and day to day usage is similar experience as sticking a barbed wire into your anus.

I'm using CS6 with Wine and it works fine so far. Someone has yet to beat the Adobe kikes in their craft.

>@64450162
Never fucking reply to me again you filthy 4channer hacker.

This attitude right here is why the free as in freedumb software movement is an obscure oddity. Instead of insulting the people you seek to win over you should be accommodating them. FOSS is so obsessed with ideological purity it lets perfect be the enemy of good.

Stop posting anime.

What kind of work do you do in Photoshop? Photoshop gets used for a lot of image editing tasks it is actually terrible at for the simple reason it was the only choice for so long.

Friendly reminder it's easier to make a circle in gimp than it is to make a green pepper in photoshop.

>DXVK
>A Vulkan-based compatibility layer for Direct3D 11 which allows running 3D applications on Linux using Wine.

Hmm

Wine is not an emulator

I work as a content editor for many communities/companies. I do all kinds of shit, from photo editing and manipulation to complete graphic design works made from a scratch. I illustrate stuff often as well. I can also do basic webdesign with the Photoshop as well. Pre-print as well, but that is not something for the Photoshop.

Adobe monopoly is rather annoying and not only for the reasons you are implying.

Also jesus fucking christ, new captcha is cancer.

As soon as stops posting Sup Forums shit like and images starting threads like . So fucking never

For Illustration try Krita. For image editing try Eyeon Fusion, I know it's a 'compositing program' but it can be used for image editing as well. Both of those run on windows, osx and linux so you can try them out in the os you are used to before going Linux. I don't do web design so no idea what kind of adobe alternatives there are on Linux, sorry.

>starting threads about arduino
get a load of this faggot

whenever the desktop market is so small that it's basically irrelevant, that's when the year of the Linux desktop will happen.

I don't know. Does Wine 3.0 have perfect Win 7 compatibility?

I'll try those, thanks user.

It's not the thread itself I has complaining about. It's more the OP's image on that thread.

fuck you all, I will post what I want, how I want and when I want, you fucktards can't do shit so fuck off and die like terry.

Shut your trap

It supports DX10 and 11, and they changed the version wine presents itself as from XP to 7.
So far it's worked pretty darn well for me, much better than 2.6 did.

>Wine can be built as an APK package and behaves like a proper Android application.
Does that mean I can run winblows programs on my Android tablet?

You'll need QEMU to translate x86 to ARM, but yes.

I hope it works out well. Then maybe I can switch to Linux finally.

Don't mind the link.

youtube.com/watch?v=BbjTdatUTZU&index=28&list=PLgo17YhOlUg4hC0gEafFNmDBLM4FY509z

> Video not available...
what the fuck. I do mind it. Why does the embed image show black lagoon, but the video doesn't work? Is it Private. In which case why did you link it. please explain how and/or why you did that. Did you just fuck up?

>linux is only worthwhile if you live for foss
you retards are literally calling your beloved OS a piece of shit that nobody apart from freetards would ever even consider using

>they
>you
What did it mean by it?

Sometimes youtube is a jew about seeing shit because "they care about the children" so they label it as mature and you have to sign up to see it.

A way of evading that is posting the link somewhere else and watching it through there but apparently funimation is a fucking prick about it and disabled playback outside of youtube which I did not know before posting it.

I just felt like seeing the ending to roberta's trail episode 4 again. Couldn't find an english dub on youtube for the life of me.

The best way to tell if it will is to dual boot and try it. If you're running programs that don't use gpu acceleration you don't gain much from gpu passthrough. So running a Windows VM is an option there. Also searching for wine usually gives you a pretty good idea on how well it's working for others.

>situations where there's either no alternative
I wish so badly there was a usable spice program like LT Spice and a modern FEA electromagnetics program.

Did you even read the GitHub description? It uses Wine

>free as in freedumb software movement is an obscure oddity

This is why that software is so good. Year of the Linux laptop is the year Linux as we know it dies. The amazon botnet being built in to Ubuntu is a direct result of its popularity. This is the tip of the iceberg you want us to run our ship in to so badly. I wonder who could be behind this post?

If you guys would take a look at the patches page for Wine every now and then you would see that proper Vulkan patches are being sent.

source.winehq.org/patches/

There's no such thing as "no alternative".
If you're not starving to death so you need to do crappy job with ms office, and not being forced physically to use iphone, then you have literally no excuse.
Want some entertainment that doesn't exist? Learn code and write it yourself. It could be even funnier than playing (usually repetitive and intentionally unsatisfying) gaymes. Or get over a learning curve and play dwarf fortress/nethack for the rest of your life, you will not ever get bored.
Need to get job done and it (((requires))) using crappy software? Find a freedom-respecting solution or rethink your fucking life if it seems impossible (because it isn't).
Otherwise, you're just a weak ass.

>Sup Forums
>reading
You cann't be asking this question seriously.

>is this the year of the linux desktop?
Unfortunately no
>can we finally ditch botnet OS?
No
GNU/Linux is sweet right now, cherish the moment
Soon though Red Hat with their proxy Canonical will wreck Xorg with Wayland and Gnome will shit all over the stack
It's up to Xfce and KDE to save us but they are undermanned and underfunded so I wouldn't bet on that

It was good while it lasted

That is funny and I want that to be true. Can you spoonfeed me a source?

Fuck off faggot

>This is exactly why Wine sucks.
I agree for productivity software but there is no other option for games. If somebody wants to play Mass Effect, chances are they want to play the one and only Mass Effect, substituting some just-as-good FOSS game that also has space in it isn't going to fly. The only way out of this apart from WINE is if every game got an open source engine reimplementation like OpenMW and we all know that isn't going to happen.

>uses software for botnet OS in Linux
KYS

Fucking freeloaders

What's new in the v3 ?

Anime was has always been allowed on Sup Forums

Wine will will remain shit unless someone patches it so file select prompts use your system's instead. I know you can drag and drop shit to a wine window but that doesn't mean shit when you want to actually open the file from the program itself.
Also, the way it breaks DEs when a program becomes unresponsive is just goddam awful.

Not OP.
>Running Photoshop on dedicated Macintosh OS X
machines was discarded as being too costly, as it would have
required purchasing (and maintaining) a hundred new Mac
workstations.
media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/case_studies/WaltDisney.pdf