Windows 10 Telemetry

WINDOWS 10 BUILD 17083:
blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/01/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17083-for-pc/

> Diagnostic Data Improvements
>The Diagnostic Data Viewer is a Windows app that lets you review the diagnostic data your device is sending to Microsoft, grouping the info into simple categories based on how it’s used by Microsoft.
>To get started, navigate to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback. Enable the Diagnostic Data Viewer Toggle and then click the button below to launch the app.
>View your diagnostics events: In the left column, you can review your diagnostic events. Selecting an event opens the detailed event view, which shows the exact data uploaded to Microsoft. Microsoft uses this info to continually improve the Windows operating system.

Well, what's your honest opinion on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

not bad I guess, at least you don't have to Wireshark your whole input just to know what you're sending.

Wow, now I can choose not to send info about my weird fetish browsing habits to Microsoft but still send them my address and home map. Thank you, dear overlords

OP here. My 2 cents:

First of all...kind of amazing. I'm downloading this build to install it in a VM and I'm going to leave it running for the night. I'll check back in the morning.
HOWEVER: Who guarantees that MS doesn't hide *something* in this data viewer? A "big" concern for now.

Remove telemetry and I might consider "upgrading" to 10... Fuck you Microsoft.

>14:48:10
>14:49:35

kys u fokin shillz

>just because I found the post fast I'm a shill!

this was my thought, exactly.
corporations cannot be relied on to police themselves

Test

Test2

Totally out of respect for their customers and not just to attempt to comply with the new EU privacy protection laws.

I never understood why people are against telemetry to begin with, especially for an operating system. They use these metrics to gauge what people are doing so that they may alter the OS to fit the majority, opting out of telemetry is equivalent to telling a product maker to not take your opinion/use case into consideration. These same people seem to always be the ones complaining about new versions not fitting their use case as well, it's no surprise why.

If I use Windows I want MS to see how I have it configured, what I use it for and hope they tailor it to fit me in the future. Same with crash reports, I want them to see those because I don't want thing to be broken in the future releases.

Let them know I used interex, cygwin, and msys2, maybe it helped them decide on making WSL a thing. Let them know I disable auto updates, maybe it will force them to run a survey asking why, maybe it will force them to rethink how to hotpatch parts of the system, who fucking knows but at least they have the data of all of their users to consider instead of taking potshots in the dark or talking to random groups of people/partners in focus groups that don't contain you.

I legitimately don't understand why people see this as some kind of issue, even a privacy one when all the information has nothing about you personally, just how some user with this ID uses the OS.

>when all the information has nothing about you personally
lol no

So when does MS start doing something with the gathered data so far?

1) where is the evidence
2) why should I care in the event it's true anyway

I'm not trying to hide the fact that I use Windows, I'm not trying to hide what software I have installed. But if I did care, the options are there to simply disable it or use something else. I fail to see any issues so far, even for the paranoid.

I'm not sure what you mean. When do they analyze the data? It's probably ongoing, you should people on the team since only they would know. I highly doubt they'd just be sitting on data since at least Vista without looking at it so far.

>Well, what's your honest opinion on this?
It does not matter, Microsoft has proven time and again that they cannot be trusted. What makes you think this "feature" is a truthful representation of what they are sending.

With all the government required side channels, automatic background force able upgrades, they can do whatever the fuck they want without informing you.

Face it, Windows is done.

Anyone retarded enough to believe this bullshit deserves Windows 10 Spyware edition.

>I'm not sure what you mean.
It's not rocket science. When will they start showing they actually look at the data and do something meaningful with it. Because so far they have nothing to show for it.

t. Gamer

yeah this is only because of EU law.

Relevance?

test

as if the settings will actually disable anything

you're right they will be able to tailor their software to the most common use cases. Which is bad because its an OS not a specialized piece of software meant to do only one thing.

this

This is why I despise Marxism to it's core. Some people might say it "sounds good on paper" but that's bullshit. Only brainlets who don't take a moment to think about the "good on paper" Star Trek Marxist utopia say such things. The futurist post-scarcity marxism that reddit dreams about is even more horrifying to me than the brutal revolutionary failed states that the ideology has created thus far.

Humans will never abandon hierarchy, it's our nature; when hierarchy is no longer defined by material wealth we will find something else. Looking at the state of the world as it is now suggests that the new "wealth" will be defined by some abominable social media platform that becomes ubiquitous to the point that participating in society will be impossible without participation. This is hardly slippery slope, this is the natural end game when privacy is completely dead to the roots. An individual's standing and access to services in society will derive from highly positive/popular standing on social media. Your quality of life will undoubtably be defined by this brave new form of mob rule. Our gleaming, high tech megacities will be hellish cages of inescapable groupthink.

>sent from 24/7 (((android))) powered spybot

lel, no joke
a friend of mine the other day was talking with someone about contact lenses, then he got on facebook and the first thing he sees was an ad for contact lenses. His android phone was with him as he talked about the lenses. Spooky stuff.
I use a BlackBerry Z10 though, screw (((Google)))

As someone who has used Windows since the beginning I legitimately think they have been improving every release since at least 2k. The majority of complains around Vista were necessary to handle the driver nightmare that would take down your whole system and was largley overblown, everything past Vista was people complaining about the theme which couldn't matter for shit.
>glass is ugly
>start menu too big
>I want glass back
>start menu not big enough
>what the fuck they're bringing ugly glass back
or useless additions like UWP, but people seem to gloss over all the bugfixes, technical improvements, and useful additions in comparison to how it looks and hot new addition that they don't use.

Every time I have to deploy some application I go back and test it on fresh VMs and every time it reminds me of minor pains with interacting with older versions of Windows even as recent as Windows 7.

I don't think Windows is perfect but they've always been improving and they seemed to really ramp up around Windows 8.

Seriously? This tool will only show you what it wants to show you lol

>As someone who has used Windows since the beginning I legitimately think they have been improving every release since at least 2k.
lol
XP was the sweet spot, then they ruined it progressively. I'm on 7 right now and used Vista until very recently, but I see how bloated they are and how usability became increasingly worse with each release.
Simple example: remember that in XP to see your network connection status you only had to click the two computers in the taskbar? Remember how easy it was to set up network shares?
Everything was quicker and handier, they then introduced more and more bullshit. 8 was when it started going to shit even faster, basically duplicating the control panel.
They attempted to make it easier but ended up overcomplicating it.

>They use these metrics to gauge what people are doing so that they may alter the OS to fit the majority, opting out of telemetry is equivalent to telling a product maker to not take your opinion/use case into consideration.

If i'd like Microsoft to take my opinion into consideration while developing their OS, i will be more than happy to share it with them in whatever way I choose. Otherwise they can fuck right off.

>use XP
>insert a faulty CD in the CD drive
>everything hangs indefinitely
>XP was the sweet spot
drink bleach, grandpa

I'm 25, and I've had more bullshit happen to me in 7 than XP. I still have a XP partition in my drive.
In XP I could use ASIO drivers and DirectSound at the same time, without one app monopolizing the soundcard. Just one example.
I moved to 7 due to compatibility needs.

Fuck off micro-cock.

>"We are not spying on you guys, we swear, we are just collecting data to improve windows!"
>windows 10 is still buggy and badly designed as 2015
Lol

What does this have to do with Windows 7?

Yeah, 9x/2k/xp were all good. 7 is decent, least I can use it without having to fucking hunt around all the sub menus to find one little thing as you do in Ten. Ten ain't "easy" it's a big step backward. Nothing I do now under Windows 7 will change/improve one bit if I went with Ten.

Nothing?

I never understood why MS loves to break continuity so much. The ribbon style UIs are pure cancer too.

then this is a wasted thread.

You're gonna miss laughing at the shills

This is Sup Forums/g/. What were you waiting for?

This isn't telemetry related but I just received the latest creators update. now my mouse input is horrifically slow and unpredictable. I have update my video drivers, mouse drivers, everything, any solutions?

I'm not waiting for anything...I'm here to discuss.

I'm not sure if it was when I replugged my USBs after PSU swap or when Windows 10 updated not long after that completely fucked up my Yiynova graphics tablet. It's like the shitty Windows tablet mode is interfering with the chink drivers which causes the cursor to reset for a split second when I move the stylus away. It also rendered my drawing programs useless because the cursor will fly to the left of the screen. Looks like I'm going back to Windows 7 just to use my fucking tablet.

saved, gonna send to every person in the american government

it's OK i guess.

Where is turn off button?

Then just let me opt out and stay cuck without privacy but stop pushing your cult doqn throough my throat.

How illiterate can you possibly be, user?

I'm planning on doing a clean install of 10 LTSB for the first time, what's the best/most current un-botneting tool to use? There used to be quite a few different ones floating around and some were closed source, is there a concensus on which one to use now?

And do I have to run it after every time Windows updates?

you sound indian

Activate it using VLMCSD
Install Tinywall
Install SpyBot Anti Beacon
Download "one drive delete.ps1" from debloat windows 10 github w4rh4wk
Search for debloat windows 7 Sup Forums wiki on google
Use ESET nod 32 anti virus for less bloat or windows defender if you have a common sense.

Disable mouse acceleration from mouse settings

xp was just unnecessary bloat over 2k
All they added was 400MB of themes and gaymes

it dont fuckin matta, they send your shit to the fucking cloud now and they claim you can erase it online.

>so that they may alter the OS to fit the majority,
that's why ms-windows has gone downhill
the dumbing down will kill it off, it already does not feel professional

In googles defense (not that they need it. I fucking hate them) that could've just as easily been Facebook app you had to agree for them to take control of your microphone, camera, everything.

If you install their app you deserve everything that happens to you.

>t. MS shill support

>install goybook app
>allow it to silently go though your contacts
>goybook now has created shadow profiles for your friends
>thanks to you
>goyberg's [hands rubbing intensifies]
>actually have no friends
feels good mang

>insert virus
>virus autostarts
>virus pc kaput
>xp's fault

XP supports 3G modems and other stuff

kek

Specially MS that has been caught red handed several times

>LTSB

>to fully get rid of telemetry you have to disable "windows apps" framework (yes, this kills start menu because for some stupid reason that's also a windows app)
>look! an "app" to "disable" telemetry! you better enable that windows apps framework goy or it won't run!
Gotta hand it to them, they actually thought this one out.
They are getting smarter.

this.

every os is forced to leave a backdoor for the us government anyway, but that doesn't mean telemetry itself is a bad thing for an os to have.

Hi there Dr Peterson :^)

What's everyones opinion on using Windows 10 LTSB instead of commercial Win 10? I installed it yesterday; seems pretty good so far.

you NEED to watch the black mirror episode nosedive

en.wikipedia
.org/wiki/Nosedive

>install macos

>forget the windows meme ever existed.

>Still subjecting yourselves to still using Windows10Botnet, let alone any Windows variant for that matter

>not running Solus Linux with a Windows 8.1 KVM with GPU passthrough

Are you people this dumb? WINDOWS 10 HAS A BUILT IN KEYLOGGER AND FILE UPLOADER.

My god are your retards mental.

>keylogger and file uploader
Hello, where is the proofs :DDD

I want to use wireshark to see if this thing is telling the truth.

>HOWEVER: Who guarantees that MS doesn't hide *something* in this data viewer?
You don't. You count on autismo paranoids to check every bit that comes out of the system.

>64466522
>Are you people this dumb? WINDOWS 10 HAS A BUILT IN KEYLOGGER AND FILE UPLOADER.

>imagine being this retarded

>AND FILE UPLOADER.

>imagine being this retarded
lol

Telemetry has it's uses. The only reason it's a problem with Windows 10 is that they are cozy with the US federal agencies. People use telemetry in all fields of work, for example, hospitals. Telemetry is a godsend for programmers to figure out how to fix bugs and improve their product.

This.
Its a problem becaues the three letter agencies have access to everything and we just know these fuckers mandate a backdoor as well.

In competent hands. Shame it's going to modern Microsoft.

I don't see anything in there about keylogging.

Though I don't doubt the file uploader part, sending things like crash reports to Microsoft have been a thing for decades.

I have many issues with 7, but I have also had half year long updates on 7 opposed to xp which was fucking blue screened every 30 days if not sooner.

I had 1 win 7 install, and it worked for 5-6 years
I had to reinstall xp every few months.

vista had issues with hardware not working, but by the time 7 rolled out vista was also not shit anymore too with modern hardware.

everything after 7 though is a step in wrong directions.

no its not, however telemetry I can't see the data im sending, that is a problem, not being able to turn it off entirely is another issue

and all the fucking change for change sake they fucking do every god damn release is the last nail in the coffin. I don't update till things I want to do are no longer doable if I don't like what they do.

you know, I could actually get behind microsoft if they actually made good on this.

yea, the microsoft drives for this shit are horrible.

That would require actual competent staff that doesn't work for peanuts.

>clean energy became free
>2030
Is this somebody's sci-fi story for a creative writing class? He paints a pretty good picture of an oppressive dystopia.

>Well, what's your honest opinion on this?

When they put in a switch that says "Telemetry disabled" and it actually disables ALL the fucking telemetry then I'll give a shit.

But when I think about it, I don't think that would matter anyway since I already don't give a shit about Windows 10 and don't use it, recommend it, or even provide tech support for it.

Sure it's costing me money not supporting it but I don't care, I won't touch it so that's that.