Cell phones

So you got another phone! What's that you don't want to port your number over cause it cause 10 bucks? Better get a new number!

>get a cellphone/tablet/phablet
>get service but only get a data plan
>everyone you know has some form of social media
>goto facebook messenger
>everyone you know is on there for the most part except a few tinhatters that think the gov and facebook care about them
>call them up on facebook
>use facebook as a cheaper service
>>get google hangouts with a number
>>get skype with a number
>>a lot of people have a discord

So why are you still using a regular cellphone Sup Forums? And don't give me that shit that it's logically safer when you don't know whether or not the gov is tapping you

Other urls found in this thread:

nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/best-tablet-plans/
cheatsheet.com/gear-style/data-only-plan-wireless-carriers.html/?a=viewall
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What sort of third world shithole would charge you for porting your number?

Because I have a job and a company cell phone?

Almost every place I've ever gone to, Metro, Sprint, verizon whatever they all charge each time I wanted to switch

America

Does the company pay for it?

how much do you pay for the data plan?

port your number to a new phone
how retarded is that, you just take the sim card and put it in your new phone...

I've not done it yet, but I'm thinking of looking into it, I've seen as low as 20 a month

I've tried that in the past. It always required me to port it over by them. I think it was their way of making extra money

i dont believe there's a plan that just offers data and that's it, user

>buy new phone
>stick old SIM card in it
>????
>profit

I've been looking into it user, it exists
nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/best-tablet-plans/

Yeah there is such thing, look for tablet data plan, i don't see why you couldn't get that for a phone too, just tell them you need a sim only

cheatsheet.com/gear-style/data-only-plan-wireless-carriers.html/?a=viewall

yeah you're right, it's called a "tablet plan" like you said

I basically built my own Google Voice. I relied upon it for years but I've been trying to divorce my shit from Google for obvious reasons. This has been the most challenging service to replace, but fortunately still not that tough.

I pay $25/mo to Red Pocket for unlimited calls, texts, and 1.5G of data.

Then, I pay Twilio 1.15c ($0.0115) per minute for SIP trunking. I ported my number from Google Voice, which I had used for years previously. I don't use much more than 100 minutes in a month so this doesn't ever come out to much more than $2/mo. I add $0.001/min for an encrypted connection, despite it feeling redundant since it hits the POTS eventually anyway. I also end up paying $1 per local number I allocate. I have 3, one for work contacts (coworkers mostly), one for personal contacts (friends, family- this is the one I ported from GV), and one for junk (filling out forms and shit). So Twilio ends up adding about $5/mo. I'm up to $30/mo.

I have a small collection of VPSs I use for other personal services- email, file hosting, discovery, VPN exit node, etc. I run Asterisk on one of these to connect to Twilio. Practically speaking, running Asterisk in this manner doesn't add more than another $5/mo, but it's hard to tell because it's mixed in to other personal services. Asterisk is configured to act just like Google Voice was- when I receive a call, it rings my cell to route it, using my minutes instead of using my data with an android SIP dialer like Zoiper.

All in all, I get total control over my exposed numbers and can get virtual numbers to use for dirt cheap, I can control routing of calls freely, and voicemail configuration. It's fun to run, too. Costs about $30-35/mo in the end.

Plus, I can use any desk phone or just a program on my PC instead of using my cell phone without people calling (or being called) even needing to know anything is different.

Lets not forget that we also have wifi LIKE FUCKING EVERYWHERE now so even then, I don't even use data, I just have a phone

That's true- wifi is basically everywhere. If you can settle for not always being accessible when you don't configure your wifi while out or in motion, it's a super fucking cheap good option.
With an Asterisk instance and an SIP provider for a number, plus a SIP dialer on the phone, you could basically just pay fractions of pennies per minute (like $0.007) and a buck a month for a properly functioning phone number with voicemail and spam filtering and custom caller ID shit and everything.

Friendly reminder to look at MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators)- they piggyback off the big main networks but usually have cheaper prices and better plans for data-heavy use (in my experience anyway)

You can get a data-heavy plan with minimal/no minutes/texts for pretty fucking cheap at some of them. I think 'ting' is good at this in particular- I almost went with them at some point.

Fuck all the expensive-ass plans at the main providers.

yeah it's everywhere but if you're a brainlet than you have a higher risk of your shit getting compromised

yes and no
1. Most places with free open WIFI, there are normies on it, nothing serious. None of which know anything serious like hacking.

2. If you're on twitter, facebook something, if you sign into a new location, facebook will send you an email.

I think we are good.

poorfags everywhere

its not so much that user is that it's pointless in this day n age. Why should I spend so much on something when I can get basically the same thing cheaper. It's like using amazon for something cheaper vs walmart prices

it's not the same thing, on many VOIP services you cannot make emergency calls

I need a real phone number for business purposes. Real phone numbers don't require you to have internet access are reception is far better driving down the interstate than relying on LTE to get an flawless streaming internet connection then running a program to access it

as long as it's a normal cell phone, you can still call 911.

>as long as it's a normal cell phone, you can still call 911.
still

I need to get incoming calls 100% of the time and reception in my area for LTE is less reliable than cell service

test
[\code]

im currently on a data only plan, using Gv and voip.ms service. Been like that for a few months. 29.99 unlimited data on at&t with a tablet plan.