Privacy is dead and the people don't care

Privacy is dead and the people don't care.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/D7Sd8A6_fYU?t=60
privacytools.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thought provoking thread user. thanks for bringing some new and fresh insights to the table.

Thanks user. What should I do next?

Boiling frogs.

they never did

Because nobody educates them.

Imagine buying a cylinder wiretapper just to yell "HEY BING BUY ME SOME CONDOMS" at it, instead of getting your ass up and ordering it yourself.

Lonely people need attention from somebody or something.

interesting you say that since the thing with the frogs is a myth but it still fits. you see, when the water gets very hot, a frog would jump out of the pot. similarly if companies or the government start using devices like that to oppress the people, we'll still be able to do something about it.
it's not good but it's not the end of the world.

I don't know anybody who has one of these.

That's a nice thought.

also: your phone

I'd store one in a fart generator 24/7 if I knew there was actually a person actively listening to them.

Why care if you're not doing anything wrong?

>blocks your path

Privacy of people dumb enough to throw it out on their own is dead you mean?

We must save them from themselves.

I have literally never known anyone in my entire life who has one of those.

thats fuckin sick dude

That's not a picture of a cellphone.

Privacy, internet hygiene and "common sense" should be taught in schools (and by parents), and maybe peoples wouldn't fall for botnet this easy

If you're going to assert that phones are a always on listening device, you might as well claim every computer with an internet connection is one too.

So what do you propose? You can't just tell stupid people that they are stupid - they won't get smarter, they get angry.

It's a stretch, but better consumer protection laws.
Don't think it will happen though, considering how many governments want to ban encryption.

who defines "wrong"?

>"Alexa, call the police"
>"HERE'S WHAT I FOUND ON GOOGLE FOR 'call the police'"

Thanks for literally fucking nothing Amazon

You know they were saying these things about radios, TVs, phones, and it turned out to be completely wrong?

All you do by complaining is slowing down the technological advancements of human kind

Grow up already

That analogy makes absolutely no sense, burger-san.

You can actually just say
>call the police
and it'll call 911. Someone did it by accident during a fight with spouse and cops showed up.

TVs and radios by design only receive signals, not send them.
Phones (ideally) only send signals when you use them.
These IOT assistants are completely different, since they don't have the processing power to perform voice recognition locally, instead they send everything back to a server to be processed for them.
I don't really have anything against digital assistants, but I would only trust them if they do everything locally and didn't need an internet connection to work.

Is there a setting or something you have to enable?
It won't call the cops for me.

Meanwhile they're teaching kids that sharing is stealing.

*blocks your path*

Only when you use proprietary software.

The Donald

I use Google home because it is convenient and I have nothing to hide

A lot of normies didn't want privacy to begin with.

til they get rekt

Stop posting since you have nothing to say too.

Generation Alpha (children of millennials) are growing up being taught that Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc. are almighty overlords and that nothing else exists on the Internet.
God help us all.

It's not because you have nothing to hide that they have nothing to find

>Hey wiretap, do you have a good recipe for pancakes
For some reason this reminds me of the image in which everything in the house is a smart device and got hacked
>If you don't pay you ransom, I won't let you in the house today
>If you don't pay this ransom, your fridge is going to be at spoil temperature
>If you don't pay your ransom, this fan will never stop spinning

They can find it and use the information to make the world a safer more efficient place. Not all of us a weirdos with terabytes of hentai they don't want their mum to find out about.

More likely they would all just get infected by a shitcoin miner and still work, just really slowly.

>They can find it and use the information to make the world a safer more efficient place.
Or, you know, profiling you and sells targeted ad. Google is an advertising company you know, not a public safety service.

I don't like technology anymore. When I was younger, I couldn't wait for the future and it's technical advances. Today I hope the true botnet hell like crime prediction won't happen in my life time.

Can confirm. Saw my cousin watching Disney Channel just the other day, and some show was on where all they did was browse stolen YouTube videos and say an uncomfortable amount of times how great Google was.

My computer talks to me my phone talks to me why do I need this ?

Some day we end up as fad bone sacks, hanging around in farms and getting fed by machines.
> muh convenience

>stolen YouTube videos
worked out great for leafy h3h3 and dramaalert
now that nobody gets money I might try a stolen video "react" channel compilation clickbait garbage since that's what youtube wants.

Or FOSS, like Systemd

Systemd isn't botnet, dumb memer.
People just hate its design.

RIP thread

All memes aside, do any people actually buy this shit? It seems so incredibly useless and intrusive

You're sure about that? How? Have you reviewed the code? Has a security team done so so far?

It's entirely possible it contains back doors, but if you want to be ignorant because it goes against your "foss is always safe!" narrative, by all means just ignore it

That shit is built into TVs now.

GOD BLESS USA!

When it first came out, you should remember, you pretty much had to brute-force your Windows computer to NOT automatically install Windows 10. Sadly, most people have no idea how to computer, and got stuck with it while everyone else just kept using 7 or XP.
Save for me. Somehow, I became the weird binyot that got stuck with Windows 8.0. I still don't know how that happened.

i can't believe people actually buy these things

This is why I buy CRTs from my local thrift store. I just want to play my retro vidya, not do the same thing I do on my computer with no way to stop data collection.

I would rather have relevant ads sold to me as opposed to irrelevant ones.

How about having zero ads sold to you.
Fuck ads and fuck paying for a device that makes more of them.

I love my wiretap cylinder, I use it often.

KYS manchild

I really want a homepod desu

If it was $100 cheaper I'd probably buy one

Your phone already records you 24/7 anyway

You do not want an Apple HomePod.

> looks over at Google Home sitting on my desk

> iShill
you have betrayed us all user

>radio - simplex
>tv - simplex
>smart wiretap - full-duplex with interweb access

Yes totally the same thing.

I'll take the third option: no ads with free identity theft and spyware.

Ever read Google/Facebook/Twitter's TOS? They legally own your public identity thanks to super-convienient-targeted-ads! economy.

because the majority of people are goyim. they fall for all of the jewish tricks. oy vey i need a google wiretap in everyroom!

Same here.

At least somebody wants to listen to me once in my life ;_;

Has anybody tried hooking one of the mini ones up to a decent set of speakers and streaming music through them? I'd do that just for audio controls

get a echo dot for that, they have 3.5mm out, the google homes don't so they can force you to use a chromecast audio.

They work well for it considering its a core feature.

neo-Sup Forums - The Post

>the people don't care.
"the people" have never cared enough for concerns that
- are long-term
- are not bad enough short term
- or require organized action to affect

the divided people are always at a disadvantage to those who play together politicians/businessmen/bureaucrats
- have their infighting, but always support each other in corruption and against the people
- the idealistic ones aren't allowed to reach influential positions 99% of the time

"bread and circuses" makes sure to prevent the most obvious uprisings
- "the people" are also easily distracted with hot-button topics (the ghey, abortion, pro/anti welfare, immigrants/refugees)
- organized movements are often sabotaged (see FBI's Hoover era work on MLK and the civil rights movement, CIA drug involvement, more recently, the Occupy decline via SJW/progressive stack takeover, likewise Tor SJWs, SJWzilla, in tech)

tell me this guys, genuinely asking because i have trouble settling on either of side of privacy spectrum:
>how do you aproach privacy, security and anonymity online?
>what do you advise normies to use/do?
>what would you call a fair compromise of usability vs privacy

Recently talked with a friend about facebook. He said 'bro, don't let things like datamining destroy the fun in life. Facebook is beautiful since it connects so many people' what even say here?
The same happened to Skype, the same to Discord, etc. You can't really argue here since they are partly right. The botnet is clever.

the least arguable, and least useful answer is: it depends
>i have trouble settling on either of side of privacy spectrum
are you asking how to choose your actions, or others'?
>how do you aproach [sic] privacy, security and anonymity online?
mixed bag
I avoid some of the botnet,
but haven't gotten rid of parts I've been meaning to,
and am still actively using some of it
>what do you advise normies to use/do?
small steps: see if they'd be OK with
- not screwing up privacy nuts' privacy (phrased more diplomatically, obviously): not tag em in pics, allow them to get out of pics when they ask, etc
- contacting privacy nuts over alternative comms channels (call/sms instead of FB)
>what would you call a fair compromise of usability vs privacy
depends on your priorities and concerns

thanks, asking for myself.
its Sup Forums that made me paranoid about everything. But after I tried living under the rock for some time as its advertised here as the only option (gnu/linux, no smartphone, no google/fb/twitter services) i understood its exrteme.
It really is true that I have a large part of my social circles on facebook exclusively or on whatsapp and at some of them, it was a hustle to even teach them how to use those, let along teach them how some obscure encrypted app works so they can reach me.
So Im looking for a balance of tools, because while i dont want to be full tinfoil hat, i still dont want to be somehow largelly involved in my data-being-a-product.
Are fake accounts a way to go?
>also general question
because i undesrtood that private can mean 2 different things, most people want to be private from strangers, im bothered with the provider or the service, but sometimes there is no option.

I feel like more I know more its sad and dont know how to cope with stuff. I want my family to be able to use my pc so they can benefit from it, that is hard if all of the software is unknown for them...

>they are partly right
pros and cons to everything mang
>can't really argue here since [see above]
eh, you still can, although I tend to switch to bantz (mocking both sides), since
youtu.be/D7Sd8A6_fYU?t=60
>when it comes to persuasion: if you're arguing, you're losing
example if I were in your shoes (and if I lucked out and thought fast enough):
>bro, don't let things like datamining destroy the fun in life. Facebook is beautiful since it connects so many people
>yeah, ur rite m8. Everything has costs and benefits, rite?
>Fer example, lemme put my red pill hat on: arranged marriages. No need to wine and dine the broad, and ya get guaranteed pussy for life, knowatimean *fonz-eyy-fingers*
>But for srs, I'm simply not a fan of them having that much access to my convos, interests and activity, so I use them as rarely as it makes sense _for me_. Muh paranoia be like "mang what if yer crazy ex knows a guy that has access to dat shit and uses it to fuck yer shit up?". After all, the NSA lads had that LOVEINT shite, so it's not too far-fetched.
>BUT: Others think the cost is lower / don't care about it / care more about the benefits - so they use it more.
>Errone should be free to do their own shit, as long as it don't fuck over other peeps too much
>Still, talk about that meat market on Tinder, eh? *bro fist*
adjust sperginess to taste

who's forcing you to put one into your home?

>its Sup Forums that made me paranoid about everything.
Completely normal.
And pol/*chins/radditz can make you view extremely negatively.
Selection bias to the max.
Which is why ya gotta balance that shit and not put all your information source eggs into one category basket, i.e. talk to non-Internet peeps often enough, especially peeps/topics that help balance the extremism the echo chambers pull you towards.

>But after I tried living under the rock for some time as its advertised here as the only option (gnu/linux, no smartphone, no google/fb/twitter services) i understood its exrteme.
yup, balance in everything. It's a good thing gee ain't completely echo chamber, but more of a both-sides-shitpost, e.g. "which meme did you fall for" threads
>It really is true that I have a large part of my social circles on facebook exclusively or on whatsapp [...]
>it was a hustle to even teach them how to use those, let along teach them how some obscure encrypted app works so they can reach me.
ooh, that's a dangerous avenue - don't wanna push too hard and get tagged as the tin-foil-burrito privacy nut
as said:
>when it comes to persuasion: if you're arguing, you're losing

>looking for a balance of tools, because while i dont want to be full tinfoil hat, i still dont want to be somehow largelly involved in my data-being-a-product.
>Are fake accounts a way to go?
- 1) sure, might not help at all (cross-refs with yer IP/browser history/fingerprint/etc, heuristics),
- 2a) or might make it marginally difficult enough that they (folks targeting profit via commercial dragnet collection) drop your data during sanitization - why waste dev time on the 1% privacy nuts, when you get 95% of yer data with 20% of the (expensive) dev effort
- 2b) and might not help against the surveillance lads who're more interested in the suspicious peeps such as lwn/tor users
(cont'd)

no they really don't care and get really annoyed if you try to tell them

>fake accts
cont'd:
sure, if it
- don't cost you too much (e.g. you have a fast enough workflow, it won't tag you in surveillance lads' DBs and paint a bulls eye on yo back, won't look bad in front of the judge), and
- gives you enough benefits (calms down dat dere paranoia / prevents harm caused to you in the future based on said data)
go for it
>looking for a balance of tools, because while i dont want to be full tinfoil hat, i still dont want to be somehow largelly involved in my data-being-a-product.
check out privacytools.io/ and the subreddit, also /r/privacy and /r/euprivacy
don't forget to balance them out so you don't start wrapping yourself in tinfoil
> private can mean 2 different things, most people want to be private from strangers, im bothered with the provider or the service,
more precisely, it's parameterised: your shit is private from X. X can be
- 1) errbody (e.g. posting with yo real name on a no-login-wall site means errone on the internet can link your post to your name)
- 2) a certain group
- 2a) those that can access forum Y, where you post yo shit with a link to some identity - profile name / real name / real life data in other posts
- 2b) those that have access to the DB of service Z - e.g.
- 2b1) 4chins owners can cross-ref your IP and your MLP/programming socks/RL data posts with a high enough degree of certainty
- 2b2) protonmail lads can potentially see yo mails and cross-ref their meta/data to any data they have on you
- 3) more proactive actors - surveillance lads for example. Skim the snowden-related data on the taps at plenty of fiber/IX points
>feel like more I know more its sad and dont know how to cope with stuff.
anxiety, analysis paralysis and ineffective priorities are making you ineffective. Possible improvements:
- care less about that shit
- timebox yer research and efforts. No such thing as perfect security and privacy, but every bit helps. Also be aware of diminishing returns
(cont'd)

>I want my family to be able to use my pc so they can benefit from it, that is hard if all of the software is unknown for them
hm, depends on your paranoia levels
options from less tinfoil to more:
- Windows box + Linux VM for your personal usage
- dual-boot Windows on same drive, contain the tainted shit to their partition
- dual boot on two drives
- disconnect yo drive when you're not using it
- keep yo unencrypted boot partition protected against evil maid attacks. You *are* using FDE, right?
- keep yo unencrypted boot partition (thumb drive etc) up yo boot. Don't forget to avoid glycerin/etc in the lube
- verify boot partition before using it to boot. CIA niggas might've drugged you, taken the boot drive out yo boot and pozzed it (the drive) up. Tricky cuz you need a trusted computing base for the verification (see thompson hack)
- etc
in any case, using FDE is very rarely a bad idea.

>they really [...] get really annoyed if you try to tell them
one day, when (hopefully) your spergtism goes down to human levels, you'll look back and realize how obvious and expected it was of them to get really annoyed by your behavior
train yourself to view shit from other people's POV, otherwise you'll remain ineffective (and frustrated) in trying to affect others

>every single thing you've ever said to your google home has been stored and is accessible on your activity page
Fucking terrifying.

So, what's the problem?

>implying
oh wow all that projecting hold your horses user

and btw
I'LL SPERGISM YOU IN THE MOUTH WITH MY SPERG

salty
guess I struck a nerve, eh?
Trust me kid, ain't shitting on ya for no purpose. I was you back in the day. Got a bit more maturity in the way I handle those situations nowadays. Life's much more enjoyable as a result.

>guess I struck a nerve, eh?
no im just making fun of you
>tips

>I was you back in the day.
oh my i wasn't gona read that last line but literary projecting

thanks so much for this dude