/vpng/ - VPN General

This is a general for Virtual Private Networks.

>A VPN extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. Applications running across the VPN may therefore benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

>Beware of False Reviews, Shills, Marketing, and Affiliate Programs:
Do not trust a single review to tell you the whole story. Find someone reputable or someone you personally know and ask them about their experience with the company. Almost no one on the internet is impartial.

>Detailed, shill-free, honest comparisons of almost every VPN provider:
thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

>Useful testing resources:
ipleak.net
dnsleaktest.com
speedof.me/

>Why You Should Be Using a VPN
lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs

>How Do I know If My VPN Is Trustworthy?
lifehacker.com/how-do-i-know-if-my-vpn-is-trustworthy-508866499

Is a VPN useless if you don't pay for it using monero or some shit? Seems like a hassle

botnet

It's a botnet that protects your privacy.

Mull vad cash in mail

technology and privacy are incompatible concepts

I've started using torguard recently, it's pretty nice.

Also, anyone tether through a vpn on android?

Right now I have to

- Start tether
- Connect to hotspot
- Start vpn
-Start an android vpn-tethering enabling app

There has to be an easier way, right?

>Paying for a VPN
Rent a VPS and set up your own VPN instead, it'll cost you less and you'll get a full box on top.

Android has built in VPN support you doofus

Did you even read the post?

Android won't let you tether over a vpn by default.

Hence the procedure I have to do.

>VPS is cheaper

Most VPSes care about getting cease and desists, and the ones that don't are expensive.

Wait, is NordVPN considered shit tier nowadays?

How is this?

I don't think so, I have good experience with them, however, I've only been using it since September.

Currently have an OpenVPN server with Obfsproxy running on my gigabit speed VPS. Works amazing, can't complain at all.

VPNs are useful because it means you only send cipher text over your connection and because it obscures your IP. It does that no matter how you pay for it. If you get a VPN in a country that isn't the US they can legally ignore DMCA notices because the DMCA is a US law. If you're doing anything more illegal than torrents and you shouldn't be using a VPN for it. If you're torrenting then then you're just using it to obscure your IP. The VPN knows your IP whether you pay anonymously or not. It's really not worth the trouble to pay anonymously for what VPNs are useful for.

I came here to ask this. It had reasonably good scores in all the metrics on That One Privacy Site, so i don't really get the meme

It's not bad but it's a meme.

>buy VPN
>all the IPs are banned here

every time.

make your own

how?

OpenVPN server

Google "VPN residential IP". Be prepared to pay more