Why does Windows feel so bad to program on?

Why does Windows feel so bad to program on?

Other urls found in this thread:

sublimetext.com/3
chocolatey.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's because it is bad to program on.

It doesn't.
sublimetext.com/3

fpbp
i'd take a nix desktop package manager any day over manually doing it or using nuget
then you have the sdk to install, which installs a halfassed command line version of the same compiler already inside VS that makes you have to open a window or call a batchfile to set env vars, and a DX SDK for older software, and a hell-ton of processor defines if you want to use anything from windows 8 or specific versions of nt like heap optimization. its just not a fun experience, gcc is better at edit and continue, as well as you can use std::experimental without a guaranteed crash, gcc++ + ogl libs are 140mb or there about when installed via packages, windows sdk + dx sdk is like 30gb?
using windows is holding yourself back

For me is terrible environmental variables support.

I have to go to a fucking obscure setting menu, restart the PC and pray to Satan, just to add stuff to PATH.

cuz muh gooey.
qtdesigner & glade are a little behind though (also 200mb for qt5 dependencies plzzzz!!!).

It's cozy as fuck, stop listening to freetards.

I never programmed for other OS's so i dont really know what it is like. Personally i hate dealing with Windows Data Types.

It just feels like there's too much legacy crust in everything I'm using.

Even a simple thing such as adding libraries in Visual Studio feels strange.

>hit windows key
>type "path"
>hit enter

Wow so obscure. And what the fuck is this about restarting? Just close the cmd or powershell window. Wow such terrible env var support.

Doesnt have bash or packet manager

because you are not a shitskin?

windows is literally free now tho

What's wrong with LPCWSTR?

I think only Petzold likes it

Because it's a OS designed around clicking fucking "OK" buttons and fumbling around with shitty mandatory GUI menus. It's made for wage-slaves inputting shit into excell or manchildren playing gaymes, not doing actual meaningful work.

Not to mention to can't do what you want unless Microsoft explicitly lets you do it.

It's a paternal OS designed around the mouse intended for use by people who hate their jobs.

platform sdk has not included a toolchain since 2008ish

>not doing actual meaningful work.
...he says while ricing Arch and torrenting anime

At home on MBPr/Linux servers.

At work Being a *nix SA.

Suck a dick.

Also Arch users would be better than you.

This
It has powershell which is 10x superior

How is powershell better when it doesnt even have a packet manager

It does. It doesn't come WITH Windows, but it does.

chocolatey.org/

It depends on how you like to work. Personally I avoid the mouse when possible and have my Linux system setup to allow me to switch windows, use the web browser and my text editor without touching the mouse.

Free as in free beer, but not as in freedom.

It has either, idiot.

fpbp

>implying a package manager that doesn't even come with the OS should be taken seriously

this phrase really pisses me off now that i understand the difference between public domain and copyleft shit. i can't believe i was so naive at a time to not question stallman's commie bullshit.

comedy gold xDD rite?

chocolatey is shit

bumperino

Why would you bump this thread?
It's pretty obvious that by default there is
a. no package manager to install dev libraries
b. VC++ has no proper C/C++ compiler but a mix of both
c. VS is a sloth with 20? GB to install

Visual Studio is extremely bloated.

/thread

How is it free?

>I have no idea what I'm talking about

>t. brainlet

>$ 80 for an improved notepad
>not even a lifetime license, just for that major version
>people are recommending this insanity

Visual Studio is a HUGE bloated piece of shit, i would not touch source code on windows, i only use windows when i must use it because some software is not available on Linux, i use Linux most of the time and i am more comfortable using Linux too, i started using computers back in 1998 and quickly realized Linux is a better operating system

>"""""""free"""""""tards begging
>DOWN ON THEIR KNEES AND BEGGING
PLEASE MASTER PLEEEASSSE
GIVE ME A WALLED GARDEN
I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT A CAREFULLY CONTROLLED BOTTLED ECOSYSTEM OF SOFTWARE THAT WAS ONLY INVENTED TO MAKE UP FOR THE RETARDED FOLDER STRUCTURE OF UNIX TO BEGIN WITH AND IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS ON WINDOWS

Because you are autist

>using fucking drive letter to denote drives and partitions in [current year]
i keked

> Visual Studio comfy to programm C#, C++ on
> cmder as cmd replacement and kinda unix feel
> Linux Subsystem is always there for you
> most of the popular text editors are also available for windows

linux/macos is nice to program on, but if you have to use windows, its not that bad either.

easy af to crack.

comfiest IDE ever made since VB6

>girlfriend buys VS2017 for the ps4, GOTY edition
>has to download the updates
>shes out of the room, decide to just put in the DLC coads because it has to be done anyway
>she comes back in the room to me doing it
>says to me she didnt want them downloaded because she was not ready to play them yet.
>ok cool, ill just delete them from the hard drive
>goes full retard on me "why are you deleting them!?"
>because if i don't then they will be on the game, and you just told me you didn't want them so, ill just take them off
>she says "why would you delete them if you already downloaded them"
>...like i just said, if they are downloaded, they will be on the game, and you dont want them on the game, right?
>right
>ok so im deleting them
>"but why"
>at this point im done, i know what she wants, so im just doing it and will explain after its done.
>I start taking them off, note, the code is redeemed, she just has to download the expansions she wants when shes ready to play them
>I am about ready to show her how to download them
>i turn around, shes crying
>"you just dont listen to me"
>uh, i am, and i did, and heres how you download them when you are ready
>turns away as im explaining it, i just keep talking, put down the controller, walk out of the room
>she turned off the lights, went to bed mad.

like, am i an asshole? or what.

Probably because you worked on other tools for a long time and switching to VS is quite uncomfortable. And probably because you are biased against everything what's on Windows.