OG INPUT DEVICE

I hope you use trackball, not some rodents as pleb does. Carpal tunnel prevention general.

Other urls found in this thread:

x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration/
csgosetup.com/
trackballmouse.org/is-a-trackball-good-for-gaming/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

found one of these bad bois at a goodwill for 8 bucks

fucc pic

The blue one has shit buttons
Had to replace them to use normally

What is your application of this device? Flight simulations, or some other wicked perversion?

>no elecoms
Hope you like no buttons.

I have g502 actually, because those trackballs aren't very efficent for playing games(especially esports, like CS:GO)

Tiny balls for tiny jap hands

I keep a mouse for FP games while I use trackball for literally anything else.

GTFO pleb.

>I cannot play efficiently so it sucks
lol'd hard

>mouse for FP
you must be slow af

If your hands are any bigger than this then you might as well switch to a foot mouse

CST looks so unergonomic

and overpriced too

Can't objectively have the same precision, trackballs have acceleration. If I want to make a long move I have to spin it hard and then stop it. This usually means overshooting to get roughly into the area to which I want to point and then once there precisely position it. With mouse I can just go straight to to it. Trackball FP gaming literally feels like playing on a gamepad because of that.

>actually having a meme mouse

Any movement with the ball that would require spinning it would require lifting the mouse and carrying it back the the opposite edge of the pad, you're not just "going straight to it"

Do you have such a high sensitivity on yours that you can go from corner to corner on your screen by less than one revolution of the ball? Because for me it takes like 2.5 revs. I have quite large mouse mat, so I can do the same with mouse over 5-10 centimeters of travel without lifting the mouse.

> If I want to make a long move I have to spin it hard and then stop it.

Adjust acceleration and sensitivity settings. Also choose less spiny trackball if you can't control momentum. I can play instagib matches with my trackball marble and it's just cheap entry level. Multikills within fragments of second are not rare.

Don't adjust sensitivity, keep it low, adjust acceleration you moron.

>pointer acceleration in games

wew

Are you using one of those microscopic thumb balls? Are you rolling the ball so slow it's starting to grow moss on top?
2.5 complete revolutions would launch me like six screen spaces over.

Are you retarded or just pretending?
That's how trackball is used for fps gaming since like 1994

No, I am using a Kensington Eagle

And I don't like it so I am using mouse for such games because I don't want to feel like a console gamer.

>I'm too lazy to adjust to trackball gaming

ok

Yeah, it's hard to unlearn my almost lifetime gaming on mouse experience. And I don't really see a point in readjusting to a trackball for FP gaming when I am already good with mouse.

And which one is that, exactly? AFAIK there's no Eagle in their current lineup.

My Orbit doesn't behave anything like you are describing.

It's the blue one on the OP pic

>And I don't really see a point in readjusting to a trackball for FP gaming when I am already good with mouse.

After 2 and half week f playing trackball exclusively I can say that I am much faster and maneveur much better with trackball. Also I can keep precission for whole day while with mouse it starts to decrease because of hand fatigue.

I have a mouse and one of those big ass apple trackpads.

Who buys a used dildo lol that's fucked up

No, that's an Orbit. The same model I have.
The same model which isn't behaving anything like what you've described.

> carpal tunnel prevention general
> no one posts pic related
it's like you intentionally hate your tendons

>eagle

He is just trolling.

is it even mechanical cherry mx green or bucklingsprings?

AFAIK you can choose between cherry MX blues and browns, but there are replacement boards available quite cheaply - so you can buy one and solder it with your favourite meme switches :^)
[spoiler]which is what I'm gonna do as soon as I buy one [/spoiler]

I've been using trackballs for a little under a year. Just upgraded to a modern Kensington one from an IBM TrackPoint L40

It shows up as Eagle in lsusb tho.

I can play fps just fine with high sensibility and no acceleration. That's how I always use it, even when I'm not gaming.
Fast movement are not an issue. Precision is.

not yet but might get one soon. probably the first in that image because i dont want those weird small things or logitech garbage that breaks after a month.

how do you even learn to type with that thing? would probably take me years to get used to it if that would ever happen because i use a laptop sometimes too

>precision is an issue with a trackball
lolwut

>I paly games with high sensitivity and I can't hit a shit
I found your problem

>no one plays FPSes with mouse acceleration

Quake 3 Arena is played this way since like 1999 even on da mouse

Exactly the same you learn typing on normal keyboard. It takes a time. Don't you remember your problems finding letters on keyboard when met that device for 1st time?

Okay, I'll bite. How high my acceleration setting is supposed to be?
At the moment I can go corner to corner with a single movement, without spinning the ball. So I guess I should allow it down a lot and use a very high acceleration setting. Right?
I'm with a finger ball BTW

i dont really remember anything about that. i have used computer keyboards before i even learned to read properly.

> years
nah. I learnt it in, like, 3-4 weeks. The only downside is precisely the laptop keyboard - I can't touchtype on it anymore. But yeah, I can still reach those 40-50 wpm and my programming language of choice is not that verbose either, so who cares; I don't type that much on the go anyways.

0. Anything with the acceleration fucks up your muscle memory, both on mice and the trackballs. This user probably can play "just fine" because he kinda learnt to wrestle with accel over time, but if he tried to play without it he'd immediately notice that he's been suffering all this time. It's like being in a presence of some source of white noice, and suddenly hearing it turning off. At least, that's what it was like for me the first time.

>I use finger trackball

So do I.

The higher sensitivity you set more jitter you get into movement and have to develop higher level of control your micromovements of finger muscles. It's tiring both for your fingers and nervous system.

What value? I typically keep sensitivity default and max acceleration all the way up if it is possible to set acceleration and then test if there is any need to decrase it. Typically to the level i can do 360 with around I think 1/5 ball rotation maybe less.

But not all fpses have such options for some strange reasons.

What value? Depends on your dexterity and coordination of fingers. Sometimes even if you drank coffeine as it increases shaking of human hands. I see no point in increasing sensitivity too much unless game has no option to set acceleration and I find default speed too slow.

>0. Anything with the acceleration fucks up your muscle memory, both on mice and the trackballs.

Citation needed.

>This user probably can play "just fine" because he kinda learnt to wrestle with accel over time, but if he tried to play without it he'd immediately notice that he's been suffering all this time. It's like being in a presence of some source of white noice, and suddenly hearing it turning off. At least, that's what it was like for me the first time.

1. you refered to wrong post or you mistaken accel for sensitivity
2. "wrestling" took me like day, maybe two. Literally 1st 2 days after I bought my 1st trackball ever. Earlier I was playing with higher than default sensitivity mouse settings.
3. I have tried both ways and even mixing both - increasing sensitivity led to too much jitter. So far only high acc makes sense for me and so far most trckball players I have seen talking about it use high acc too.

If you have arguments for contrary please write about them. But please be more detailed than anegdotical evidence.

legendary item checking in

Still in good condition?

the logitech logo faded out and it's kinda gotten yellow but it works fine
using it now

>Citation needed.
x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration/
csgosetup.com/
>Mouse acceleration will speed up your mouse movement depending on how fast you move the mouse. So basically every swipe with your mouse is different. Its not a huge difference, but it is noticable and to make it even worse, some mice have more acceleration then others. But why so much drama about few pixel? Well, let me explain: muscle memory does great things, but the important word here is memory. So everytime you go on a map and play, your body learns how much mouse movement is needed to aim on a spot. Now, with mouse acceleration, the movement of your hand and arm would change all the time, therefore giving the player a harder time building up his muscle memory, which then leads to slower progress, or even stagnation.

>There is actually a small percentage of players who do like acceleration, but its important to understand that it will take you longer to get better in aiming.
here's your citations.

>you mistaken accel for sensitivity
fuck, you're right on that one, I misread the post.

>fuck, you're right on that one, I misread the post.

so you are pro accel or against accel?

read , I'm against it. I just thought that was using accel, while he was not.

OK so I would elaborate more on that topic. I have been playing fpses for about 17 years now. I was really good when I was playing them like for 4-6 hours daily for months. Then I get bored with them and later had less time due to later years of univ, job and other things. Almost no practice as we know decreases the abilities to p0wn. I get clumsy. When I switched to trackball and tried acceleration I started feeling like a killing machine - rapid manaevres were so easy and I was dancing around other players with ease watching them trying to locate my position. Yes aiming with acceleration feels harder. Yet the potential is much higher. I started scoring multiple kills combined with dodging enemies a the same time. Like I suddenly met a group of 4 players - just few bam bam bam bams combined with manevering among them and they are all dead. It feels almost like aimboting. And when I tried last man standing instagib matches I found myself performing such feats as entering a room and instantly on subconcious level taking down players outside the window just few miliseconds later. It was the biggest WTF feeling I had during the years of playing FPSes.

what are your accel settings? what pointing device?

Trackman Marble maxed out accel, default sens ( or lil bit decresed I dont remember default sens value ).

When I use a mouse I imagine an invisible "grid" of potential positions i can aim to and it doesn't matter what angle I am at so long as i end up there.

With a trackball you need to use a vector which means longer strokes are wildly inaccurate.

> maxed out
set up in the OS settings? or where?

I got pic related, but because of the accel I couldn't really get accurate with it. I didn't play a lot with the settings, tho

But we must take in consideration that you play Quake differently and CS differently and many other shooters fdifferently in some of them some downsides of given pointing devices would affect gameplay on other they won't.

In game, I play only FLOSS shooters.

By "it's acceleration" you mean how long ball moves "by itself" after you spin it? Those differ among trackball models and producers. I have seen comparison online somewhere.

Sensor, bearing system, size of ball all affect final feeling.

trackballmouse.org/is-a-trackball-good-for-gaming/

>In game, I play only FLOSS shooters
so, xonotic? or what?
>By "it's acceleration" you mean how long ball moves "by itself" after you spin it
I mean that I got a 4k screen, and for a long motion I need to spin that shit faster, so I overshoot and got to move slightly back.
Also, I'm using it with one finger, and after some time it simply starts trembling from the fatigue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

>xonotic?

Not tried yet but defintelly going to try soon.
So far assault cube and ET: legacy ( which has only sensitivity option )

>I mean that I got a 4k screen, and for a long motion I need to spin that shit faster, so I overshoot and got to move slightly back.

In desktop I typically max both accel and sensitivity using lxinput ( part of LXDE window manager ). Or just stroke ball with swift movement of my 4 fingers like i would stroke a cat.

It's typical for using trackball that you just move quickly to the area where you want perform more precise operation and do detailed work slower. I call it "two phases control". Some tracballs have even function called resolution scalling where it changes sensitivity/resolution depending on the speed of ball allowing to do more precise controll when you move it slow and to glide cursor fast when you move faster to instantly teleport it on the other end of your multiscreens displays setup.

>Also, I'm using it with one finger, and after some time it simply starts trembling from the fatigue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Ah. This way you have much less control over the ball. Typically you need to use at least 2 fingers. Typically people learn to use even 3 with specific movements and perform really acrobatic stunts with 4. It's like fast typing without looking at the keyboard more fingers at once you can use more controll and speed you have. I'm currently using 2-3 fingers after 2,5 week of using tracball exclusively both for 8h work and gaming. So it's kinda quick adaptation and I feel like it's still not the limit of possibilities to control it.

acceleration is a terrible thing and should always be disabled. the real speed setting is what you should change instead of acceleration that is often the only thing shown in guis.

>acceleration is a terrible thing and should always be disabled. the real speed setting is what you should change instead of acceleration that is often the only thing shown in guis.

stfu I just set sensitivity to minimal value possible 0.001 and max accel in assaultcube and i feel precise like a freakin surgeon. Explain that if it is so bad to have no accel. You are wrong. Many top quake3 players did use accel and they were freain insane with their manevers.

TRY TRACKBALL WITH MINIMUM SENSITIVITY POSSIBLE AND HIGH ACCEL BEFORE COMMENTING!

Logitech M570 here. I quite like it and wouldn't go back to a mouse, but the rollers/bearings are shit tier and get dirty and sticky very easily. Yes, even if you wash your hands.

They collect dust from the air as washed hands produce grease naturally and dust stick to it. Are you gamer BTW? We are having a flamewar over acceleration as you see.

Step aside plebeians.

Dont mind me, just posting best mouse.

>Yes, even if you wash your hands.
Hands are naturally oily and skin cells naturally crumble off your hands little by little.
Getting cruft all over things you handle daily is inevitable, even if you wash your hands.

will definitely try your setup later today, as that trackball is right now on my desk and has done nothing for ~6months now.
>assault cube and ET: legacy
never heard of those, gotta check 'em out.
>>xonotic?
it's basically a UT clone, looks kinda cool

(cont.)
I'm flaming about the accel because that's how it works with the mice, accel=muscle mem gets fucked up. But, at this point, I start suspecting that with the trackballs it must work in a wildly different way. As I said above, gotta try that out.

>mfw my orbit shows up as eagle on the PC, too
Is this like an internal company name or something?

Be warned that controlling accelerated ball might be a process that needs a while of learning. But After two weeks I can choose the proper speed to turn 90 and 180 deegrees in miliseconds without even thinking about that. But I am in a really deep shock how well I can control my fire when I set sensitivity to minimum today. Don't be afraid to check a really strange settings and see what they do for you.

Maybe they changed name before releasing them to the shops when they/their chips were already manufactured?

Yes acceleration on trackball feels totally different.

I always like these threads to look at the crazy ergonomic shit that used to be a huge trend but when I stay in them for a while it starts to make me want to buy shit I don't need.

That can't be right, the Orbit name is ancient
The Expert was still called the TurboMouse when the Orbit debuted

So maybe it's a name of chip controller? Daughterboard? Whatever inside? Dunno, mail producer for such an information. Or maybe look around the internet.

Nice try, but tablet is still inferior to trackball in the league of speed and ergonomics. I can molest my ball whole day and night without pain in my hand but you cant do same with your pen.

>not vertical

Can you swipe acros seven 4k displays in a single swift motion of a finger? I can with my trackball.

Yeah but I like doing it better with my wrist. The vertical part is just lets my hand rest better doing it.

I have one too but I really really miss middle clicking.

Have you ever heard of raising sensitivity?

fuck, man, this

I also bought a Sanwa Supply MA-TB39BK to try a thumb trackball to see what the difference is. Basically a Logitech M570 but with a USB cord. The cost of trackballs & mice is negligible compared to an aching wrist. Anyway don't do it. Don't buy a thumb trackball if you can't adjust the DPI in hardware. Just trust me on that one. On that note the Elecom lineup looks pretty promising.

turn on 3rd button emulation where clicking left and right at the same time emulates middleclick.

it's asymmetric

it cannot be good

So all I have to do is use Kensington software that's not available on my OS so I can fucking emulate a feature that any competent mouse has in hardware? Wonderful!
Kensington is shit.

>I have to use Kensington software to emulate 3rd button click

what pleb OS are you using it needs custom software to emulate 3rd click? In muh X/GNU/Linux I can even change polling speed of my input trackball.

Is Sanwa quality any good? I can't find any of their trackballs in my country online shops so I would have to ship it. Can you compare it to Kensington or Logitech trackballs quality?

There are people prone to many different issues depending on conditions. If it hurts you avoid it. So far I feel much better with trackball than I did with mouse.

The plastic feels cheap. Everything has that ultra smooth plastic finish with a mirror like reflection that shows every smudge. The scroll wheel is more rubber than plastic and is very soft. The trackball defaults to a very high sensitivity with very little precision out of the box. There are no extra buttons to map to changing sensitivity either. I haven't had any fault in the buttons or track or scrollwheel so mechanically it's sound, but I don't like the feel of it and use it very little. I paid $40 for mine and it has been superseded by a $60 model on Amazon. I think it is ridiculously overpriced.

Forgot to mention, I recommend not buying one. It's a $15 trackball with a $60 pricetag. Look for two different $30 trackballs of other brands then buy them and pick the one you like best.

So far I just have Trackman Marble. I'm considering trying Elecom as I see Linux has handling of their additional buttons in source tree, so they should work out of the box. That would be quiet interesting.

>cant do the same with pen
I crank out 4000+ words in a go, no stop, in a few hours by hand, without any serious side effects. All the pain I have is from using mouse/keyboard. Everyone is different, and the ergonomic of the pen are much more natural than any kind of computer pointing device that is not a pen.

I've gone full circle on Linux as to not even bother customizing anymore which is why I'm big on not having to dig into the OS to change things. Anything trackball that lets you adjust DPI on the fly is enough to get 99% of the mouse's functionality going out of the box without tweaking. This gets even more important when you're trying new mice and have several hooked up at once. I haven't used any Elecoms but given how few options for trackballs exist it's great seeing someone trying to fill the niche and putting real effort into it.

Ever tred a trackball? But in case you use it as a way of writing text I may agree with you that it could be better than standard keyboard.